Laszlo Versus Levein

Sydney from Sydney

Nelly Terraces
Exactly.

I think anyone who thinks we have better players than United are a bit deluded.

Correct. Any team that's delivered as many absolute pastings as they have to us over the last 3 seasons can hardly be said to have a poorer playing talent at their disposal.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly.

I think anyone who thinks we have better players than United are a bit deluded.

I totally disagree with that statement.

Only a "bit" deluded...........No............... Horrendously, Totally and beyond any help deluded.

:eek:

You just have to listen to the 2 men talking about football to realise who is the best manager.

Plus Levein seen the writing on the wall and left Hearts when Romanov came in, Csaba is happy to be the mouthpiece with no real authority. That tells me that Levein has a spine unlike Laslo.

If you watched the Wee cup final last season, United played Rangers off the park in a very entertaining manner. I watched them against Hamilton this season and again they played good football, so I don't see where people get this stuff about Levein's teams being negative.

Craig Levein = good manager

Csaba Laslo = chump

In relation to Laszlo versus Levein such comparisons are difficult to make. How would Levein fare with the present crop of players at Tynecastle, in the environment that is Tynecastle at this time, conversely how would Laszlo fare at Tannadice, in the environment that is Tannadice at this time.

LOL - like a properly run club like Dundee United would allow Lazlo within a mile of a coaching job.

He may actually be a better manager/coach than we are getting the chance to see.

His record in other jobs suggests not, unfortunately..

Reality is I don't think it would matter who came in as manager, unfortunately the position appears to be so undermined at Tynecastle now that anyone taking it would be limited with regards to what they could do.

That's very true.

Correct. Any team that's delivered as many absolute pastings as they have to us over the last 3 seasons can hardly be said to have a poorer playing talent at their disposal.

That's the crux of this whole thread, though. Have they given us the beastings you refer to because their squad is stronger or has one of the management set-ups (ours) been ruthlessly exposed by Levein?

Guest jambomickey
Levein walked and does not deserve to be back at Hearts.

levein walked because he knew what was instore with the paranoid control freak coming in.

Guest jambomickey

the difference between the two is csaba will do what he's told and levein wouldn't stand for interference from a paranoid control freak in lithuania who knows feck all about football

If this thread had been posted a month ago it would have been Jim Jefferies who would be the former Hearts boss being held up as a shining example.

Levein's Dundee United are flavour of the month right now but they lost 3-1 to Hamilton in August and didn't register a win till game six. They also, as mentioned earlier, had a long, long winless streak last season. They're hot right now but they're clearly capable of producing some dross under Levein as well. It will be surprising if they don't do so again this season.

I liked Levein and he's clearly a good manager but it's easy to overstate his case.

What you say is true but there are reasons and factors to why we ended the season poorly(the way we lost the cup final for one just before the split, the robbery at ibrox, key players injured), i dont agree with how the end of last season and start of this season was combined to make it look much worse as we had lost 7-8 players and had 7-8 new ones in.

The start of this season we hadnt found the right balance in our team with the new players, that changed on game 5 at Easter Rd when despite losing we completely dominated Hibs and we havent looked back, after giving the resta head start we have snuck ahead into 3rd.

I full expect us to have a bad patch, infact i can see us dropping pts at Rugby Park on saturday as we always find it hard there, i do think though if we keep most people fit and avoid an injury to a key players we will finish 5th at worst.

By the way, its good to see Hearts up into 4th despite the poor spell, much prefer Hearts to Aberdeen or Hibs(they have a wee love in going), would be good if we both could fight for that spot the rest of the season like in 96/97

Falkirk did the same to us just before 'Levein took over, humped us 5-1 home and away, know how you lot are feeling, its depressing, 3 wins out of 30 we went under Brewster, could you imagine how many times i walked out of Tannadice feeling empty, im now leaving Tannadice happy most weeks and we have our pride back and then some, its hard to get used to and im getting worried incase another bad spell is around the corner or if we lose Levein and some of our players(Celtic & Ranegrs wont be long coming after any they rate)

Anyway i'm sure good times arent far away for Hearts, infact you are 4th, its not all bad, wehn we were ***** we were down the bottom.

Levein has shown in almost every game that his teams have played against us that he really knows how to beat us. What is the for and against column of Levein's United goals vs Hearts goals? I am certain it would be embarrassing.

We've scored 4, they've scored 14.

We've scored 4, they've scored 14.

Aberdeen are our b!tches since Levein took over, 7 wins and 2 defeats, they were our b!tches in the mid to late 90's aswell, its like deja vu.

As for the Hearts results, we are just balancing off the results from the first 6 years of this decade where Hearts have had it your own way against us.

Levien is an excellent manager in my opinion and I would love to have him back at Tynecastle.

Unfortunatley he would not last under Romanov because he is his own man and would not allow an owner to make his footballing dscisions.

The jury is still out on Chabba, personally I think he has done a lot of good things however you can not hide how poor our squad is. I would also question his tactical abilities but am prepared to give the guy a chance.

I like Csaba, but...

Ok - so an SPL club other than Hearts or United find themselves managerless next week and has to make a choice between Lazlo and Levein. Does anyone seriously imagine that our present man would be chosen?

The current situation is a difficult one.

I have no doubt that with a free reign, almost any manager would make a good fist of it.

With Romanov(s) running things from afar, no manager will equate to much.

It really saddens me that the two R's have managed to stuff things up for so long. The have no idea what it takes to make a winning team, they've sold anything that was even half way decent and they've replaced it with players who wouldn't have got through the door 5 years ago.

What you say is true but there are reasons and factors to why we ended the season poorly(the way we lost the cup final for one just before the split, the robbery at ibrox, key players injured), i dont agree with how the end of last season and start of this season was combined to make it look much worse as we had lost 7-8 players and had 7-8 new ones in.

The start of this season we hadnt found the right balance in our team with the new players, that changed on game 5 at Easter Rd when despite losing we completely dominated Hibs and we havent looked back, after giving the resta head start we have snuck ahead into 3rd.

I full expect us to have a bad patch, infact i can see us dropping pts at Rugby Park on saturday as we always find it hard there, i do think though if we keep most people fit and avoid an injury to a key players we will finish 5th at worst.

By the way, its good to see Hearts up into 4th despite the poor spell, much prefer Hearts to Aberdeen or Hibs(they have a wee love in going), would be good if we both could fight for that spot the rest of the season like in 96/97

There are a lot of parallels with 96/7, mate - not least your poor start and surging run since. I honestly think you'll wrap up 3rd place pretty comfortably in the end. Remember too that Levein finished 5th in his first full season with us, before recording back-to-back top 3 spots; and where did he finish in his first full campaign at Tannadice? Also, fifth (albeit, you really deserved 4th).

Charlie-Brown
There are a lot of parallels with 96/7, mate - not least your poor start and surging run since. I honestly think you'll wrap up 3rd place pretty comfortably in the end. Remember too that Levein finished 5th in his first full season with us, before recording back-to-back top 3 spots; and where did he finish in his first full campaign at Tannadice? Also, fifth (albeit, you really deserved 4th).

Either the league table never lies or does it?

Either the league table never lies or does it?

Not normally. But Aberdeen were less than 15 minutes from being in the bottom six - and their eventual finish of 4th was seriously flattering, and at odds with the story of the season.

To put it another way: Hearts finished 2nd in 91/2 but almost blew it, and needed Hibs to beat Celtic on the final day to climb back into the runners-up spot. Yet if we'd come 3rd, it'd have been desperately harsh: we'd have basically finished third in a two-horse race, if you see what I mean?

Charlie-Brown
Not normally. But Aberdeen were less than 15 minutes from being in the bottom six - and their eventual finish of 4th was seriously flattering, and at odds with the story of the season.

To put it another way: Hearts finished 2nd in 91/2 but almost blew it, and needed Hibs to beat Celtic on the final day to climb back into the runners-up spot. Yet if we'd come 3rd, it'd have been desperately harsh: we'd have basically finished third in a two-horse race, if you see what I mean?

You could use the same argument for 1985-86 or 1964-65 or any other team that's ever been pipped to anything..........

This argument is academic.

Levein walked out of us on the eve of a major European game to join....wait for it......Leicester. :mad:

He still defends Hearts so I can't hate him in the same way I do Presslhey, but what right-minded Hearts fan would be interested in him or care about him? After all, he didn't treat us with respect when he high-tailed it to Leicester.

i think it is not a world of difference between managers, but of chairmen, we are all well aware that roamnov is a nutter, but eddie thompson (RIP) was something special in the game

I think we must give Csaba the benefit of the doubt considering he came to us after the European transfer window was shut. I know that we are only a few points better off than last year but I honestly think there have been some huge improvements in our team play.

I am not trying to say we are playing great football because its rank a fair amount of the time, however we usually play as a team rather than individuals.

Who knows whether Czaba will come good, but the time to judge him is (if allowed to) the signings he makes in January and the performances and results thereafter.

Plus it can't be easy having to suffer the handicap of being told to play Zaliukas every week!

Guest jambomickey

Levein walked out of us on the eve of a major European game to join....wait for it......Leicester. :mad:

He still defends Hearts so I can't hate him in the same way I do Presslhey, but what right-minded Hearts fan would be interested in him or care about him? After all, he didn't treat us with respect when he high-tailed it to Leicester.

he left because he knew what was instore with madfud! how can you blame him having seen what's happened since the mad bastad came in?

levein left because he saw romanov coming... now do you blame him?

and why hate pressley? i don't want to start another elvis debate but i'm sure he was the victim, he didn't conduct himself in the way that perhaps he should have, but he had the best of intentions, standing up for the club he had grown to love

Charlie-Brown

Eddie Thomson was a serial sacker, publicly got involved with and stepped on the toes of previous managers, spent a shed load of money for little return ie several bottom six finishes then once Levein improved Utd's fortunes and Thomson sadly got cancer all that was forgotten about and he became 'saint' Eddie Thomson.

You could use the same argument for 1985-86 or 1964-65 or any other team that's ever been pipped to anything..........

You could, sure. But it applies more often when a team has largely lost motivation and is drifting in to the end of a season (United last year, us in 91/2) being caught by another team who were never in contention to achieve anything in the first place, and just go on a flattering run papering over the cracks (Aberdeen last year, Celtic in 91/2).

Plus it can't be easy having to suffer the handicap of being told to play Zaliukas every week!

or the handicap of having the most pessimistic fans in the world

Eddie Thomson was a serial sacker, publicly got involved with and stepped on the toes of previous managers, spent a shed load of money for little return ie several bottom six finishes then once Levein improved Utd's fortunes and Thomson sadly got cancer all that was forgotten about and he became 'saint' Eddie Thomson.

you might have a point there, but adversely, you might say that eddie thompson made the right descisions, no????

Guest jambomickey
Oh dear. :rolleyes:

levein wouldn't have stood for interference from that paranoid lying control freak who knows feck all about football

So speaks Therapist the Jambo Fundamentalist.

Levein was probably the best Hearts player of my lifetime, and a very good manager. There was nothing more he could achieve than 3rd place, which alone of any non-OF manager in the modern era, he did so twice on the bounce, all the while being faced with mounting budget cuts, falling gates and off-field turmoil. The only way he could have advanced his career was by joining a Championship club with the potential to get into the world's most high profile, lucrative league - so, displaying the practical good sense which is his hallmark, he did.

As at many clubs in that madcap league, it didn't work out - but given all that's happened here since, I'm sure he doesn't regret it: nor should he either.

Like several others, I assume, I find it really hard to come on here after a Hearts defeat. Not because I can't handle the defeat but the OTT reactions are genuinely depressing.

When Csasba was appointed polls were held and umpteen threads were started about where would be an acceptable finish etc

The answer seemed to be top 6 or just an improvement in the attitude of the squad and for us to start playing as a team... fighting for each other. So far so good no one can deny that

Now is it me or have a vocal minority moved the goal posts?

http://scotsport.podbean.com

So speaks Therapist the Jambo Fundamentalist.

Call me what you want, but there is no denying I speak for the vast majority of (true) Hearts fans.

Call me what you want, but there is no denying I speak for the vast majority of (true) Hearts fans.

You certainly do. All 20 of them... :rolleyes:

Incidentally, re: Levein. I'm sure you've been offered a better paid job at some point or various points of your career. What was your response, especially if you'd been based somewhere for a number of years already?

Guest jambomickey

no you don't! you're in the minority as far as your mini ibrox brigade is concerned.

Charlie-Brown
You certainly do. All 20 of them... :rolleyes:

Incidentally, re: Levein. I'm sure you've been offered a better paid job at some point or various points of your career. What was your response, especially if you'd been based somewhere for a number of years already?

Craig Levein said on the radio or maybe it was a scotsman interview recently that he regrets jumping out of Hearts so quickly Shaun and that despite having wanted away for a year to 18 months before that because of all the hullabaloo back then he now wishes he'd stayed and made a more careful decision about leaving and to which club he went.

rudi must stay
Craig Levein said on the radio or maybe it was a scotsman interview recently that he regrets jumping out of Hearts so quickly Shaun and that despite having wanted away for a year to 18 months before that because of all the hullabaloo back then he now wishes he'd stayed and made a more careful decision about leaving and to which club he went.

course he'd say that it didn't work out for him at Leicester, if he had done well i bet he'd say it was a great decision

What Rudi said. He wants to keep his options open, and not burn his bridges with us, so defends us at every turn. I'm sure he regrets the manner of his leaving too - but it's hard to see how he could've acted differently, especially given the apparent personal stuff he was dealing with, and Robinson warning our budget would be completely slashed at Murrayfield.

no you don't! you're in the minority as far as your mini ibrox brigade is concerned.

I can assure you I can knock you into a cocked hat as far as supporting Hearts is required. Let's leave it at that. ;)

Charlie-Brown
What Rudi said. He wants to keep his options open, and not burn his bridges with us, so defends us at every turn. I'm sure he regrets the manner of his leaving too - but it's hard to see how he could've acted differently, especially given the apparent personal stuff he was dealing with, and Robinson warning our budget would be completely slashed at Murrayfield.

I'll try to find the article - i'm sure i posted it on here just as the season began.....

jambos are go!

I've forgiven a lot of people who have let Hearts down because people make mistakes and bad judgements. I've yet to forgive Craig Levein for the manner and timing of his departure. Taking MDV, Maybury and Knisboro showed he put his own aspirations first.

I've forgiven a lot of people who have let Hearts down because people make mistakes and bad judgements. I've yet to forgive Craig Levein for the manner and timing of his departure. Taking MDV, Maybury and Knisboro showed he put his own aspirations first.

Same question to you. Have you ever been offered a better paid job? What did you do?

Guest jambomickey
I can assure you I can knock you into a cocked hat as far as supporting Hearts is required. Let's leave it at that. ;)

don't think so! let's leave it at that.

Guest jambomickey

how can you blame him now that you've got the benefit of hindsight?

Charlie-Brown

One thing is for sure Hearts were certainly very very good to Craig Levein a number of times during his footballing career giving him his big chance as a player, looking after him through three long injuries, forgiving him after the assault on Hogg when as club captain he embarrassed the club and himself and really could easily have been punted out the door as Hogg was, giving him his first coaching roles with the reserves & youths, giving him his first SPL managerial job..... he owes Hearts a lot and many could rightfully claim he still does.

One thing is for sure Hearts were certainly very very good to Craig Levein a number of times during his footballing career giving him his big chance as a player, looking after him through three long injuries, forgiving him after the assault on Hogg when as club captain he embarrassed the club and himself and really could easily have been punted out the door as Hogg was, giving him his first coaching roles with the reserves & youths, giving him his first SPL managerial job..... he owes Hearts a lot and many could rightfully claim he still does.

Hearts were good for him; and he was good for us. So it was a win-win. But I'm not sure if Hibs fans feel the same anger towards Mowbray for jumping ship to a Championship club - and they'd have just as much right to do so in my book.

Charlie-Brown

Craig Levein was an excellent servant both as player and manager but I think on balance the club have given him lots of help and a step up at various points of his career and spared his blushes & protected him for the kirkcaldy incident even though he was the perpetrator & guilty party - I think he still owes us on balance.

Guest jambomickey
Craig Levein was an excellent servant both as player and manager but I think on balance the club have given him lots of help and a step up at various points of his career and spared his blushes & protected him for the kirkcaldy incident even though he was the perpetrator & guilty party - I think he still owes us on balance.

craig levein was good for hearts and hearts were good for craig levein

Charlie-Brown
craig levein was good for hearts and hearts were good for craig levein

I never claimed otherwise mickey all iam saying is on balance i think Hearts have done more for him overall than he has for us - that's a fair opinion i think all things considered? :)

Archived