Laszlo Versus Levein

Sydney from Sydney

Sydney from Sydney

You can't help but be impressed with the job Levein has done at Dundee Utd. Less talented players and a much lower wage bill than us. A crappy stadium in a provincial area of Scotland with much lower attendance figures than Tynie. The man gets the best out of his players though, no doubt about it. He spends the club's money like it was his own, and as we all know, he doesn't suffer fools.

Our own bloke appears unwilling to get stuck into his own players when they turn in a performance like the one against Celtic, thinks we're Euro contenders because we win by the odd goal against St Mirren and Hamilton, and wants to be liked so much by his players that he "felt priviliged" when asked to join them for lunch.

Levein got on with his chairman despite running the club "his way", whereas Laszlo says Romanov has every right to interfere and become involved in team selection. One coach gets on with the job and the other just wants to be liked by everyone.

Although it's unlikely he'd come anywhere near us as long as Romanov was still around, I'd take him back in a second.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who thinks the two are even comparable should seek help from care in the community

Laszlo is a poor mans Graham Rix/Jim Duffy :(

PresidentRomanov
You can't help but be impressed with the job Levein has done at Dundee Utd. Less talented players and a much lower wage bill than us. A crappy stadium in a provincial area of Scotland with much lower attendance figures than Tynie. The man gets the best out of his players though, no doubt about it. He spends the club's money like it was his own, and as we all know, he doesn't suffer fools.

Our own bloke appears unwilling to get stuck into his own players when they turn in a performance like the one against Celtic, thinks we're Euro contenders because we win by the odd goal against St Mirren and Hamilton, and wants to be liked so much by his players that he "felt priviliged" when asked to join them for lunch.

Levein got on with his chairman despite running the club "his way", whereas Laszlo says Romanov has every right to interfere and become involved in team selection. One coach gets on with the job and the other just wants to be liked by everyone.

Although it's unlikely he'd come anywhere near us as long as Romanov was still around, I'd take him back in a second.

A couple of months ago, Levein had went 18 games without a win.

Last night reminded me what it was like watching Levein's Hearts side every week, 1-0 win with ten men behind the ball, but just because his teams hit a wee run of form over the last few games, he's the next Alex Ferguson :rolleyes:

A couple of months ago, Levein had went 18 games without a win.

Last night reminded me what it was like watching Levein's Hearts side every week, 1-0 win with ten men behind the ball, but just because his teams hit a wee run of form over the last few games, he's the next Alex Ferguson :rolleyes:

Thank God, you still getting the same nightmares as me :eek:

Pressley to Robbie .................then into outer space !

God how quickly some folk forget how bad it was :sad:

the point is mate that's the best we will get for a club our size. Levein gave us the best we will get without crazy spending like Romanov initially did.

I find it unbelievable what some fans expect, we are a small club in a tiny league in european terms, not bloody AC Milan!!!

portobellojambo1

I would tend to disagree with what you say in relation to the quality of player at Tannadice being poorer than at Tynecastle, there isn't an awful lot of evidence to suggest that is the case, they are stronger in some positions than us, probably weaker in others.

In relation to Laszlo versus Levein such comparisons are difficult to make. How would Levein fare with the present crop of players at Tynecastle, in the environment that is Tynecastle at this time, conversely how would Laszlo fare at Tannadice, in the environment that is Tannadice at this time.

He may actually be a better manager/coach than we are getting the chance to see.

Reality is I don't think it would matter who came in as manager, unfortunately the position appears to be so undermined at Tynecastle now that anyone taking it would be limited with regards to what they could do.

There is no manager currently working in the United Kingdom who could work effectively under the regime and the conditions that the manager of Hearts has to work under.

No matter how good the squad is or how good a manager he previously was at other clubs.

End of.

There is no manager currently working in the United Kingdom who could work effectively under the regime and the conditions that the manager of Hearts has to work under.

No matter how good the squad is or how good a manager he previously was at other clubs.

End of.

And only the desperate and unemployed would now consider it. Sad that our reputation is so low.

The Real Maroonblood
Anyone who thinks the two are even comparable should seek help from care in the community

Exactly, with the strings as well.

End of.

Agree 100%. Any comparison of Hearts managers with the manager of another team is irrelevant until such times as we have a manager who is allowed to take care of all on field matters without any interference.

ToadKiller Dog

CL is proof of what happens when you give a reasonably talented manager time to build a squad ,i would judge Csaba when he is into his 2nd full season(if he gets that time) ,At the moment his team is only 2pts ahead of us .

He has built a team around a good goalie plus an experianced large central defence ,plus what looks like a good poacher up front .they dont give out meaningful prizes in november.

Generic Username

Very good sweep.

What did Rix/Duffy do for us again? Loose us top spot and about 12 points into the bargain aswell (and Chris Hackett...).

It's always being said here, "you can't polish a turd" but that's what every manager at Hearts tries to do due to the circumstances they are working under.

One minute it's "I don't want that sex offender anywhere near Tynie" now we're being told he's head and shoulders better than Csaba.

Brilliant.

Agree 100%. Any comparison of Hearts managers with the manager of another team is irrelevant until such times as we have a manager who is allowed to take care of all on field matters without any interference.

We're surely allowed to compare the workings of the committee with what happens at other clubs, though? After all, that's all we have.

Another poster today made an analogy between last night's performance against Hamilton and Levein's Hearts team "shutting the game down" when they needed to. I thought it was rather an unfortunate analogy. Of all the management lessons handed out to our assorted incompetents and nobodies over the last two seasons, undoubtedly the harshest have been delivered by Levein's United.

How to rip open a team whose management has not responded to going a defender down. How to instil discipline in your team so that when the opponents are losing the place they don't follow suit. How to operate a scouting system that picks up decent and experienced players surplus to requirements at other clubs. How to motivate your team so that everyone is giving 100%.

The committee isn't even at first base.

You can only really compare the merits of both men against eachother if they were given the same sized clubs, at the same time and for the same time; and with the same budget.

As much as I'm not fully taken with Chabba, I can hardly blame him for not being the Dundee Utd manager since December 06! And who's to say Levein would have done any better with the mess Chabba's inherited?

Didn't Levein take a season and a half to turn Hearts into a team we could enjoy supporting?

In that time, we lost four games to Livingston and signed Kieran McAnespie!!!

I can sense your frustration and I'm with you there. There are things I see that I don't like about Csaba.

I wouldn't dream of telling anyone what to think here, but personally, I'll start to worry if we're watching this gash a year down the line.

Buffalo Bill

I think levein has improved as a manager since he was at hearts and utd show that. I also think the players at utd are better than our current squad.

If this thread had been posted a month ago it would have been Jim Jefferies who would be the former Hearts boss being held up as a shining example.

Levein's Dundee United are flavour of the month right now but they lost 3-1 to Hamilton in August and didn't register a win till game six. They also, as mentioned earlier, had a long, long winless streak last season. They're hot right now but they're clearly capable of producing some dross under Levein as well. It will be surprising if they don't do so again this season.

I liked Levein and he's clearly a good manager but it's easy to overstate his case.

Charlie-Brown

Levein has had the benefit of 24 months at Tannadice whilst Csaba hasn't yet had 24 weeks - Levein took approx 20+ months and 2 seasons before he made any significant improvement at Hearts and it was a bumpy ride along the way with some dispiriting results and performances.

Comparisons at this stage are just daft especially when Levein has signed players and moulded his current United team whilst Csaba inherited almost all of his.

rudi must stay
I'd love to see Levein back at Tynie as Manager.

He's far, far better than the chump we have the moment.

i wouldn't. Levein's teams play crap football and he can't accept defeat, it's always someone elses fault. Atleast the chump we have at the moment is positive about us

Levein has had the benefit of 24 months at Tannadice whilst Csaba hasn't yet had 24 weeks - Levein took approx 20+ months and 2 seasons before he made any significant improvement at Hearts and it was a bumpy ride along the way with some dispiriting results and performances.

Comparisons at this stage are just daft especially when Levein has signed players and moulded his current United team whilst Csaba inherited almost all of his.

How about comparing the committee's work over the last 24 months with Levein's? After all, two of the triumvirate have been here long enough. And we know that Csaba is merely the latest front man who is working "together" with them.

Charlie-Brown

Currently the only thing that separate Dundee Utd and ourselves is 2 points courtesy of them having drawn to more games than us in the SPL this season - both Hearts and Utd have won 6 games albeit they have scored more and conceded less than us.

b ollocks

I do love these posts. One minute it's this the next that. A few of the quick 180 turns we do on kickback...

BALOGH IS AMAZING, KEEP KELLO OUT!!

CHABBA IS THE BEST COACH IN THE SPL!!

MIKEY STEWART FOR CAPTAIN!!

All these posts seem to me like it's a little person with a tiny voice wanting to be heard

05082CS-U.JPG

Charlie-Brown
The direct comparison was in the game against Dundee United.

Levein gave Laszlo a spanking in that game.

The flaw in that argument though Coco is it fails to take into account all the other factors most notably time in the job, Frail also managed to beat Levein, McGhee, Calderwood & Paateleinan in his full round of fixtures but nobody would claim Frail is a better manager than all of them at this stage in his career.

The flaw in that argument though Coco is it fails to take into account all the other factors most notably time in the job, Frail also managed to beat Levein, McGhee, Calderwood & Paateleinan in his full round of fixtures but nobody would claim Frail is a better manager than all of them at this stage in his career.

I watched the game, and during the game Levein moved things around, gave his players easy to understand directions etc. A real manager.

Laszlo hid in the dugout all the way through the game and made no effort to change things.

I would prefer to give Levein/Hughes/Jefferies the time at Hearts to rebuild the club rather than giving the committee more time together.

Hang on. I thought the whole point of the committee system was to ensure continuity of strategy in the signing of players and the running of the football department?

Our committee and system have been in place for over three years. Only the head coach has changed. So it's surely perfectly valid to compare Dundee United's system (or Motherwell's for that matter) to our own and see how they stack up against each other?

Otherwise it's possible to excuse almost anything with the magic bullet engraved with the word "Transition".

End of.

Agreed. I would also say that labelling Laszlo himself as the issue is a little unfair, I blame the team that pick the players "together". Romanov has created a situation that hinders our team.

Whilst I would not go so far as to say we have better players than Dundee United, we don't, I would say that there is a decent standard of player at Tynecastle, and they are largely being stifled by our regime.

Levein has shown in almost every game that his teams have played against us that he really knows how to beat us. What is the for and against column of Levein's United goals vs Hearts goals? I am certain it would be embarrassing.

Charlie-Brown
I watched the game, and during the game Levein moved things around, gave his players easy to understand directions etc. A real manager.

Laszlo hid in the dugout all the way through the game and made no effort to change things.

I would prefer to give Levein/Hughes/Jefferies the time at Hearts to rebuild the club rather than giving the committee more time together.

I find all the real manager / proper manager statements quite funny - usually what it really means is a scottish or british manager that the person likes, anyway within the last week Berra, Stewart & Nade have all spoken of the big improvements Csaba has made in our dressing room and also how he has helped them in recent months so they seem to consider him to be a 'real manager'. The guy deserves time.

Levein has shown in almost every game that his teams have played against us that he really knows how to beat us. What is the for and against column of Levein's United goals vs Hearts goals? I am certain it would be embarrassing.

Agree. We have really had some hidings from them since Levein took over there.

What is strange is that the committee never seem to learn anything from these hidings.

I find all the real manager / proper manager statements quite funny - usually what it really means is a scottish or british manager that the person likes, anyway within the last week Berra, Stewart & Nade have all spoken of the big improvements Csaba has made in our dressing room and also how he has helped them in recent months so they seem to consider him to be a 'real manager'. The guy deserves time.

I Thought That A Manager Was Of No Importance?

Didn't Rix shag Mowbray 4-1 in his first derby.

Ivanauskas was in charge when we beat Celtic 2 times in a row.

Does that make them better managers than Mowbray and Strachan.

The day I will be calling for Csaba's head is when we he has had to build his team and it isn't working.

He has inherited a pish squad and pushed us into 4th place. Some sorry most of the football is awful and he has made some questionable decisions. But what manager hasn't?

The Real Maroonblood

I remember McAllister saying that about Rix.

:sad:

Last night reminded me what it was like watching Levein's Hearts side every week, 1-0 win with ten men behind the ball,

Have been saying this for long enough. Like Leveins time at Hearts, Csaba will hold (not comfortably, we struggle) out for a 1-0 when the opportunity is there to go for the kill.

Have been saying this for long enough. Like Leveins time at Hearts, Csaba will hold (not comfortably, we struggle) out for a 1-0 when the opportunity is there to go for the kill.

I don't think it helps him that we have a lot of players who are incapable of putting their foot on the ball, a bit of composure and looking to play an intelligent pass.

If we had a couple of more of those players we would look so uncomfrotable holding onto a lead.

PresidentRomanov
If this thread had been posted a month ago it would have been Jim Jefferies who would be the former Hearts boss being held up as a shining example.

Levein's Dundee United are flavour of the month right now but they lost 3-1 to Hamilton in August and didn't register a win till game six. They also, as mentioned earlier, had a long, long winless streak last season. They're hot right now but they're clearly capable of producing some dross under Levein as well. It will be surprising if they don't do so again this season.

I liked Levein and he's clearly a good manager but it's easy to overstate his case.

Spot on TC, and a couple of months before that, they were all clamouring for McGhee - who say's kickbackers are fickle :rolleyes:

Levein was a very good manager for us. Some of the football wasn't great at times, but the good more than outweighed the bad for me. We certainly scored plenty goals under him. Maybe something to do with his revolutionary idea of playing 2 strikers! :rolleyes:

Hang on. I thought the whole point of the committee system was to ensure continuity of strategy in the signing of players and the running of the football department?

Our committee and system have been in place for over three years. Only the head coach has changed. So it's surely perfectly valid to compare Dundee United's system (or Motherwell's for that matter) to our own and see how they stack up against each other?

Otherwise it's possible to excuse almost anything with the magic bullet engraved with the word "Transition".

That's a good post. I asked the same question above: why can't we compare the work of the committee - two-thirds of which has been in place for a long time now - with the achievements of any other SPL set-up?

Those who were extolling the virtues of the committee when it replaced conventional football management at Tynecastle are strangely quiet on the subject.

Sydney from Sydney

I don't think Levein would have put up with some of the players who pulled on a Hearts' jersey over the last three seasons. Regardless of who they were or rather thought they were, they would have to give all for the jersey or they wouldn't get a game. With Levein,what you see is what you get. This guy is a lightweight. Anyway time will tell.

championsleaguefan

Its simple Hearts don't have a goal scorer if we did we would be above untd easy. Goals mean wins wins mean points. Scoring goals would take some pressure of our defense and make the players play with confidece.

We're surely allowed to compare the workings of the committee with what happens at other clubs, though? After all, that's all we have.

Another poster today made an analogy between last night's performance against Hamilton and Levein's Hearts team "shutting the game down" when they needed to. I thought it was rather an unfortunate analogy. Of all the management lessons handed out to our assorted incompetents and nobodies over the last two seasons, undoubtedly the harshest have been delivered by Levein's United.

How to rip open a team whose management has not responded to going a defender down. How to instil discipline in your team so that when the opponents are losing the place they don't follow suit. How to operate a scouting system that picks up decent and experienced players surplus to requirements at other clubs. How to motivate your team so that everyone is giving 100%.

The committee isn't even at first base.

Fine, but in that case the thread should be called "Committee v Levein". Implying that the style of play is all Shabba's fault and comparing him with another manager is a bit unfair on the guy.

Its simple Hearts don't have a goal scorer if we did we would be above untd easy. Goals mean wins wins mean points. Scoring goals would take some pressure of our defense and make the players play with confidece.

Wish we had that Sandaza guy that plays for them.

Nelly Terraces

Utd butt f **** d us senseless up at their gaff this season. Really showed us up for what we are, a bloody awful, dull, and talentless football side, presided over a load of clueless clowns.

Utd butt f **** d us senseless up at their gaff this season. Rally showed us up for what we are, a bloody awful, dull, and talentless football side, presided over a load of clueless clowns.

Exactly.

I think anyone who thinks we have better players than United are a bit deluded.

The People's Chimp
How about comparing the committee's work over the last 24 months with Levein's? After all, two of the triumvirate have been here long enough. And we know that Csaba is merely the latest front man who is working "together" with them.

The committee, now there is an interesting comparison to make. I think it's unfair, currently, to lump csaba in with the emperor's new clothes merchants or waldorf and stadtler.

But if you look at the committee alone, then I think they would come up short in a comparison against pretty much any SPL (or 1st division) manager.

Archived