Radgest school in Edinburgh (city)

heartgarfunkel

heartgarfunkel

Sorry teuchters in the counties;) this one's for the city slickers. Inspired by the fantastic Forrester's thread, I have to ask:

'What was (is) the radgest school in Edinburgh?'

I have to go for my alma mater, Portobello High School. "Ope et Consilio, we sing it everywhere we go." Do we **** - "we're dirty and we're smelly, we come fae Porty-bellae" mair like.

1. Whole school marching in the fashion of a medieval army to fight Holyrood up at Cavalry Park, some armed by teachers
  2. Whole school strikes, usually in support of the miners, with picket lines
  3. The daily riots in the middle lift, jannies wading in with boots (Janny Owen, Ginger Graham)
  4. A P.T. of department lending his XR3i to pupils to go his errands in return for a blast in his motor
  5. NYT mod swaggering late into Music - new tough teacher getting telt 'Shut it tiger pus (streaky 80s make-up), ma brar kens you and your a ****en radge'. Cue whole class throwing recorders directly at teacher. Never seen again.
  6. Dozens of serious assaults - outside the school, inside, at the annexe, in the Golfy, in the Figgy. Horrific.
  7. The 42/46, 12, 32/52(?) bouncing at the bus stops, driver outside waiting for the polis. Bus occasionally going on fire.

Ah the memories. Enough for just now. There is NO WAY today's youth is anywhere near as bad as we were in the 80s, and my old man and his contemporaries thought we were pussies compared to the late 50s/60s youth. I am sure schools are MUCH better now in terms of discipline and delivery of learning.

How was your auld school?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One time a teacher said to me "Russell, have you done your homework?" and straight away i was like "nut!" They just don't make them like this anymore.

I went to Firhill in the late 70's. Thought it was absolutely mental, was there when the Bar-Ox were a real gang.

But I moved to Livingston in my third year. I went to Craigshill High school. Now that was really tough. Made Edinburgh look like the tufty club. My first day there and a fight in the playground involved two boys armed with a knife and a bike chain.

I made friends quickly and soon realised everybody was armed with a chib of some description which was not the Edinburgh way then.

It was heavily influenced by the Glasgow population that had moved there and they brought there culture with them.

Randle P McMurphy

Undoubtedly Craigroyston High (craigieyabass). A grand meeting of the cream of Muirhouse, Pilton, Drylaw and West Granton. Approx 1500 kids there in my day and surprisingly enough there was hardly any inter-scheme battling that took place. Numerous other tales of violence to make up for this though.

portobellojambo1

Portobello High, its very catchment area meant you were getting the most mental of the mental all in one place, Magdalene, Portobello, Piershill, Bingham, Craigmillar, Niddrie, Newcraighall, Northfield, Meadowfield etc.

Portobello High, its very catchment area meant you were getting the most mental of the mental all in one place, Magdalene, Portobello, Piershill, Bingham, Craigmillar, Niddrie, Newcraighall, Northfield, Meadowfield etc.

Dont forget the young slightly nutty Joppa crew :rolleyes:

Say What Again
How was your auld school?

Leith Academy 87-92.

At least 3 boys from my year (that I know off) were dead by the age of 22 (all drugs). I would wager it will be a lot more by now :(

A lassie from my class was expelled for slashing everybody's jacket that was hanging up outside the drama room she'd just been chucked out off. That ended with her threatening the female teacher with the stanley knife. She'd have been 13 I think.

2 (ex) lifelong mates fell out and fought after school one day. One of them stabbed the other in the arse (with a knife before anyone asks :P).

Like the OP, I remember the 'tooled up' mobs gathering to fight with Drummond/Broughton - though lets be honest, it was very, very, rare that anything ever happened. It was usual always prevented long before the two sides actually met up - the very same reason that probably swelled the turnout as most new they would have to do nothing apart from turn up, thus appearing 'hard' :rolleyes:

there are probably more if I think back a bit but I'm pretty sure Leithy will be topped by some other stories.

Lets try to keep the stories true though. We all have school day stories which in all probability didn't ever happen.

Say What Again
I have to go for my alma mater, Portobello High School.

Forgot to add, that living in that area now, most of the boys I know from the area went to Porty.

They're all a bunch of pussies or weirdo's or both.

:P:p:p:p:p

Got to be Craigroyston. Half my year missed their exams due to being up for attempted murder!

We also had a fireworks display in the main corridor once during passing time. Then there was the 'temple of doom' bucket episode. Where a concrete bin was rolled down the spiral staircase taking out several 1st years.

3 of our football teams got banned from playing in the school leagues for fighting. I also seen one of the boys in my year steal a guitar from the music department and trying to smash it over someone's back because, and I quote, " I seen it on the wrestling". When it never smashed the first time,. he hit the boy another 3 times until finally, a string snapped.

Romanov Stole My Pension
Got to be Craigroyston. Half my year missed their exams due to being up for attempted murder!

We also had a fireworks display in the main corridor once during passing time. Then there was the 'temple of doom' bucket episode. Where a concrete bin was rolled down the spiral staircase taking out several 1st years.

3 of our football teams got banned from playing in the school leagues for fighting. I also seen one of the boys in my year steal a guitar from the music department and trying to smash it over someone's back because, and I quote, " I seen it on the wrestling". When it never smashed the first time,. he hit the boy another 3 times until finally, a string snapped.

Haha that bin incident sounds hilarious. I lived in Muirhouse while I was at school and I'm not surprised at all by some of that. Some absolute heed cases.

Haha that bin incident sounds hilarious. I lived in Muirhouse while I was at school and I'm not surprised at all by some of that. Some absolute heed cases.

Then what were you doing at Royal High you traitor? ;)

Better call Saul
libby,END OFF

:4_1_72::4_1_72::4_1_72::4_1_72::4_1_72:

Did youre lot no get ran up and doon ellens Glen M8 by the might of Gracemount ....END OF:cool:

What about the charm school that was Castlebrae? I went to Trinity in the late 70's early 80's. A few choice radges and lots of middle class kids that went there as it was family tradition, with the parents not realising that the catchment area now allowed the cream of Leith and Granton council estate society.

I went to Wester Hailes. I`ll say no more.

i skived forries 1 day and went to whec with my mates to a class then when the teacher asked me to start doing some work i jumped up and left the teacher never bothered his arse.

Dont forget the young slightly nutty Joppa crew :rolleyes:

Excuse me,young man, there's nothing nutty about Joppa residents.

:cocktail::dog::cat::cocktail:

Craigie recently had a pretty good one where the most of the school walked out at break in protest of the new Stalin of a headteacher. Quite impressive but the rivalry between Auggies and Forries surely cannot be equalled by any other 2 schools.

eddie fenwick

Did youre lot no get ran up and doon ellens Glen M8 by the might of Gracemount ....END OF:cool:

ehhhhhhhhh,naw

I think it was the Gracie puffs that did the running/mincing away

FACT

Craigie recently had a pretty good one where the most of the school walked out at break in protest of the new Stalin of a headteacher. Quite impressive but the rivalry between Auggies and Forries surely cannot be equalled by any other 2 schools.

Befor they shut down Ainslie park high school the rivalry and organised paggers between them and Broughton high were legendary , running battles in inverleith park on a regular basis.

I went to Kirkland High in Methil. You Embra boys are mincers.

Seconded mate .The Toonies always Sh*t themselves when the Ross High boys turned up to play rugby or football.

Often heard .Ma big brar kens the Tranent boys like.Dae ye ken so and so fae Tranent.Sh*tbags.

Tollcross Primary in its hey day of glue sniffers, crooks, thugs, casuals, drug dealers, and an array of urban decay that Thatcher left behind.

...along with one of the most culturally diverse populations in Edinburgh.

The best years of my life - only once did another primary step on our turf, Bruntsfield, and we bricked them in an ambush around the back.

It might be rough around the edges, but in the centre - its hardcore.

Tollcross Rebels - I saw a wee kid with that TXR logo shaved onto the back of his head last month, made me smile.

Deodato

I went to Craigmount. There was one radge that would often drop litter and leave doors open. We were pure dead mental in Corstorphine.

I went to Firrhill.

Not tough in the slightest.

Yeah Cairns cleaned the school up big time. My old man on the other hand said it was mental when he was a lad.

Yeah Cairns cleaned the school up big time. My old man on the other hand said it was mental when he was a lad.

I refer you to my first post on the thread.

Feck off ya poof:p

Gracie ya Bass!

I went to Gracemount Looooooooong time ago.

I think the generation just before me were mental. I recall a couple o incidents when I was in maybe 1st year and the guys nearly leaving seemed ancient. They used to reguarly during "playtime" stand at the wee hill at the old bike sheds (naybody had a bike) and tan every window in during school hours.

But the funniest/strangest was when they went on strike and hijacked a fruit and veg lorry delivering to the mansion and when the bell rung for the period end everybody coming out got bombarded wi Carrots and tomatoes etc and it was a BIG lorry.

Maybe thats why you Libby guys think we are all fruits :P

PS I left in 78

And people wonder why China stole all the jobs? :)

I like to think that fans of Beijing Hongdeng, are having a similar discussion on their fans forum. :107years:

Forgot to add, that living in that area now, most of the boys I know from the area went to Porty.

They're all a bunch of pussies or weirdo's or both.

:P:p:p:p:p

Tw@t

Gavsy Van Gaverson
I went to Tynecastle, definatley in the top 3 schools in Edinburgh

How would you know that? Did you go to all of them?

Forries is definitely in the Top 1 :P

Archived