Radgest school in Edinburgh (city)

heartgarfunkel

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Didn't think Leith Academy was that bad.

Produced a few murderers and junkies but that's about it.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sawdust Caesar
Didn't think Leith Academy was that bad.

Produced a few murderers and junkies but that's about it.

I went to Leithy from 78 - 84, it wasn't that bad, the year below me had a few nutters. They had the most pupils expelled from one year in the schools history. I think the worse thing I heard happen was a brick with 'third year barmy army' written on it got chucked through the asst. head's office window, reputedly landing on her desk while she worked. We had a few run-ins with Trinity and Drummond but nowt major. We weren't hard enough to take on Trinity though, did more running from them than fighting.

Commander Harris
Befor they shut down Ainslie park high school the rivalry and organised paggers between them and Broughton high were legendary , running battles in inverleith park on a regular basis.

and they thought they'd solve the problem by merging the two schools. :wacko:

I went to Firrhill.

Not tough in the slightest.

So did I, left in 2006. The place seemed to pick up as a school when I joined in 2000. Apparently before that it was a hell-hole :rolleyes:

We weren't hard enough to take on Trinity though, did more running from them than fighting.

That much is true:p

Amazingly Trinity was still thought of as a "good" school. Despite the fact that we had all the bams from The Fort, Banana Flats and the Lindsay Road high flats and the North Junction Street high flats. Also for some bizarre reason we used to get the headbangers that had been expelled from Drummond and Broughton. One of them once got a load of tins of gloss paint and went to the top floor of the DK annexe and dropped them from 6 floors up onto a teachers car because he didn't like him. The car was totally wrecked.

So did I, left in 2006. The place seemed to pick up as a school when I joined in 2000. Apparently before that it was a hell-hole :rolleyes:

Left Firrhill in 1996, just a couple of years after Cairns came in and you could definitely see she was going to change things. It was definitely a bit more lawless when Grantwood was head teacher. Don't think he cared much, just seeing out his time until retirement.

Left Firrhill in 1996, just a couple of years after Cairns came in and you could definitely see she was going to change things. It was definitely a bit more lawless when Grantwood was head teacher. Don't think he cared much, just seeing out his time until retirement.

A bit before me, but yes the school picked up when Ms 'I love my hair' Cairns came in ;)

Since the place got the new building it looks fantastic

Malcolm Tucker

I just left in the summer and it was fine, although Ms Prophet the new headteacher, just kept hiring new staff and almost pushing the old ones out the door.

She's a milf though, so no complaints here.

Got to be Craigroyston. Half my year missed their exams due to being up for attempted murder!

We also had a fireworks display in the main corridor once during passing time. Then there was the 'temple of doom' bucket episode. Where a concrete bin was rolled down the spiral staircase taking out several 1st years.

3 of our football teams got banned from playing in the school leagues for fighting. I also seen one of the boys in my year steal a guitar from the music department and trying to smash it over someone's back because, and I quote, " I seen it on the wrestling". When it never smashed the first time,. he hit the boy another 3 times until finally, a string snapped.

I knew you would be on is like a flash.

Broughton was a really weird school, for the first four years especially. You had a bunch of folk from Pilton, Granton, Royston etc alongside people travelling from the likes of Kinross to attend the music school.

Such was the amount of snobs on hand to be bullied, I largely escaped any primarily on the basis that I was from Pilton and didn't have a snobby accent.

One of the few that did have a go at me is now doing time in jail for murder.

Sexton Hardcastle
I just left in the summer and it was fine, although Ms Prophet the new headteacher, just kept hiring new staff and almost pushing the old ones out the door.

Blonde pretty tall? Im sure thats the same head that left my old High school (Peebles). She did leave a few years back. One year, possibly mine, i cant remember, got her a stripper on their last day.

It went down surprisingly well. I bet she did as well.

Bloody hell, she was my music teacher out in the wilds of Livi in the early 90s! Nippy, but fairly tidy as I remember. Must be knocking on a bit now surely!

Malcolm Tucker
Blonde pretty tall? Im sure thats the same head that left my old High school (Peebles). She did leave a few years back. One year, possibly mine, i cant remember, got her a stripper on their last day.

It went down surprisingly well. I bet she did as well.

Yeh she's the very one.

Dancing with her at Prom was a highlight. She's also made of cash and bought me about 6 drinks. Good times!

MackaysCentreSpot

Pesh.

I went to Firrhill late 70's into the 80's.

It was the

DSC00592[1].jpg

We had Mary Doll (Elaine C Smith) as our drama teacher and Alan wells wife Margo as a PE teacher.

Mr Grantwood was the head.....known amongst the pupils as Zebedee

Aye those were the days.

Chad Sexington

We had Mary Doll (Elaine C Smith) as our drama teacher and Alan wells wife Margo as a PE teacher.

Aye those were the days.

We had the actual Alan Wells at ours...so there.

:P

Yeh she's the very one.

Dancing with her at Prom was a highlight. She's also made of cash and bought me about 6 drinks. Good times!

...I passed out at my Prom....

happy days ;)

I have it on very good authority (my father) that Mr Morley the English teacher at Drum Brae was none other than Reg Holdsworth from Coronation Street - Alan Wells??!! Pah!

:eek:

There can't be many school head teachers with a feckin bebo page :P

Just as well she is a music teacher and not an English one. :eek:

Say What Again
Just as well she is a music teacher and not an English one. :eek:

One of her ex pupils has left her a message:

Hiyah

HwzYhuu? You Prob Not Reg Me But Am Bella Adam :eek:

I knew you would be on is like a flash.

Broughton was a really weird school, for the first four years especially. You had a bunch of folk from Pilton, Granton, Royston etc alongside people travelling from the likes of Kinross to attend the music school.

Such was the amount of snobs on hand to be bullied, I largely escaped any primarily on the basis that I was from Pilton and didn't have a snobby accent.

One of the few that did have a go at me is now doing time in jail for murder.

I went to Broughton before Anslie Park was merged into it and it was a good school - then the Anslie park mob came along and it went downhill all the way!!! :) Actually i'm only kidding, it got a bit worse but not vastly so and I was a real mix, in the music school but from Royston!!!

Portobello highs birthday surprize was getting thrown in the figgie, it was great and allways someone who was generaly hated ! i was there 86-90

:eek:

There can't be many school head teachers with a feckin bebo page :P

a think somebody made that page for her cannae be many teachers that cannae spell pupils (check the profile bit on her page)

infact there's a few iffy spelling mistakes in there to be a teacher lol

I was suspended from Liberton High for running a lucrative extortion racket.

:sad:

Is that another name for taking 1st years dinner money.

What years were you at libby it could have been my dinnner money :(

Chad Sexington

I'm not sure if I ever took yours George. ;)

1. Whole school marching in the fashion of a medieval army to fight Holyrood up at Cavalry Park, some armed by teachers
  2. Whole school strikes, usually in support of the miners, with picket lines
  3. The daily riots in the middle lift, jannies wading in with boots (Janny Owen, Ginger Graham)
  4. A P.T. of department lending his XR3i to pupils to go his errands in return for a blast in his motor
  5. NYT mod swaggering late into Music - new tough teacher getting telt 'Shut it tiger pus (streaky 80s make-up), ma brar kens you and your a ****en radge'. Cue whole class throwing recorders directly at teacher. Never seen again.
  6. Dozens of serious assaults - outside the school, inside, at the annexe, in the Golfy, in the Figgy. Horrific.
  7. The 42/46, 12, 32/52(?) bouncing at the bus stops, driver outside waiting for the polis. Bus occasionally going on fire.

Ah the memories. Enough for just now.

How was your auld school?

I recognise none of the above from Porty.

Castlebrae was radger anyhow.

championsleaguefan

I left Firrhill in 92 It was mental in they days Grantwood was the head he went about in an old style teachers black robe.(gimp) Some of the teachers were really strange Mr Bland was a right weirdo.

Was it a hard School? The Oxgangs boys were. I Remember the Oxgangs 4 th year took on the 5th and 6th years kicked there asses.

I left Firrhill in 92 It was mental in they days Grantwood was the head he went about in an old style teachers black robe.(gimp) Some of the teachers were really strange Mr Bland was a right weirdo.

Was it a hard School? The Oxgangs boys were. I Remember the Oxgangs 4 th year took on the 5th and 6th years kicked there asses.

I was at firhill from 1973-77 before it had the noncy high school moniker was a nuthoose in theydays great daYs though get on the YMBO.

Seems I must be slightly older than the average JKBer these days which is slightly disconcerting and also might explain why I hardly ever agree with anyone in the Terrace.

I went to Auggies and while we never had any serious hardcore in our year other than the usual school type bravado and some who have had a spell at her majesty's pleasure, my sister's year had a guy who got a stretch for an armed robbery on a building society.

Most of my memories of the schools mentioned are of beating them at football. Remember beating our deadly rivals Forries 2-1 with yours truly in goals and also hammering Craigmount 15-1, also a quiet day between the sticks. Another was against Craigroyston when a teenage mum decided to push her baby buggy right across the pitch rather than walk round it while a game was taking place. Crazy days, though I believe you can buy soft drugs at most Edinburgh secondaries these days, which has got to be an improvement on a joobly and a bag of crisps.

I'm not sure if I ever took yours George. ;)

No I think I would have left by the time you were there.

eddie fenwick

dode,im still(after about 2 year)still trying to work out who you are

Mr Bland was a bit weird, always hanging out with that techy guy from the science department. He was also one of the soundest teachers though, always dead friendly and even let us take a SNES in and play that instead of the class in 2nd year science.

Shame what's happened to him since, he had that incident where someone set his hair on fire in class and it ended up on the front page of the evening news and nowadays he's totally lost it. I've seen him about sometimes and he's just not there at all. Quite sad really.

tommythejambo
Portobello High, its very catchment area meant you were getting the most mental of the mental all in one place, Magdalene, Portobello, Piershill, Bingham, Craigmillar, Niddrie, Newcraighall, Northfield, Meadowfield etc.

We're not mental...We're insane.

Wouldn't quite list the Northfield I know as being as radge as Craigmillar the Nid etc.

Portobello had its fair share of mental-ness and I did see many a preson taking a beating in the surrounding areas.

Got to give this honour to Castlebrae though. Whilst there is thefact that no-one ever turns up, if they did it would be like Hell breaking loose.

i went to tynie for a year, it used to be mental but when i went it was awfy tame.

however, a few years previous to this, my mum worked youth strategy there and 2 girls tried to set her on fire with lighter fuel

Archived