David Norris - Ipswich

Rawrrrrrrr

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Nonsense.

People need to realise that there's a difference between a show of support (in the "keep your head up [friend in prison] - thinking of you" sense) and "LOL YUR KIDZ R DED".

The Easily Offended Bus has parked itself on KB tonight. :rolleyes:

It's just a bit of an arsehole thing to do. No?

He could have written to him and said keep your head up or visited him.

The parents are the ones who are offended, so it's not just people moaning for the sake of it.

The player is obviously a bit ignorant and never realised his actions would upset anyone.

All this proves is footballers are thick as mince, but we all knew that.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion, this is what happens when you pay people over inflated salaries and fans make idols out of them. They start to believe they are some sort of demi-god and consider themselves above the law. It is pure arrogance that made Mckormick get in the car while drunk, and it is the same arrogance that made this Norris boy carry out this gesture. These kind of guys give a bad name to footballers in general when you see the way they behave at times.

samster give it a rest,

what is wrong with chanting or singing songs at football?

its a man's game is it not?

im getting sick & tired of this PC in this day & age.

ill defend anyone wanting to generate an atmopsphere at a hearts match as long as the song doesnt break the law!

what your common decency mite not be everyone elses, the world aint a nice place & you can only **** with the ****** youre given.

don,t take this too personal but your response to this thread makes you come over as very immature.have you left school yet?this isn,t about PC its about common decency to a mother who has lost 2 kids and a husband left in a wheelchair.norris should get the same punishment as robbie fowler(you may not know him but he was a decent footballer in his day)and his infamous goal line snorting goal celebration.

I P Knightley

Glad to see that this thread has descended into some form of reasonable debate.

Put yourself in Norris' shoes, i know if it was my mate i wouldn't disown them and would want them to know they were in my thoughts in any way possible. The guy made what turned out to be a terrible terrible mistake and is now paying for it. Let it go.

Some people just like to get offended. End of.

any way at all? For me, it would be personal communication or discussion among a close set of friends. I certainly wouldn't risk an action that could cause upset to the victims.

Personally, I'm not offended but I'm a little angry that the parents have been.

Blame the media if you like but these guys are in the public eye and should know how it works.

His friends showing their care for him is not condoning the act which got him there in the first place.

As above - no one's accused Norris of anything more than crass insensitivity; have they?

Thought it was pretty inappropriate myself, the boy's a professional footballer and with that job comes responsibilities.

He could quite easily have chosen another low key gesture that McCormack and their circle of friends would have identified without triggering the uproar.

...or no public gesture at all?

I don't know if you ever saw they Jeremy Clarkson thread in the Shed about his comments regarding lorry drivers murdering prostitutes, but it would be interesting to see if any of the 'outraged' posters on this thread, were amongst the poster on the Clarkson thread describing what he said as 'a joke FFS'.

Seems like you can 'joke' about people being murdered but not make a handcuff sign. Maybe if he'd done it with a spinning bow tie or a water squirting flower on his chest it would have been OK. :rolleyes:

For the record, I think both were pretty ill advised things to do.

I actually do wish I could be arsed cross referencing the 2 threads to out any culprits :P

I can't be arsed x-referencing either but I think I was less concerned about Top Gear than about this one (though I qualified it by confirming my view that Clarkson's a grade-A nob)

The difference, as I see it, is that the Clarkson 'gag' was impersonal and not incident specific. Norris has publically drawn attention to a very specific person and incident. It must be very hard for the bereaved victims to brush it off while the families of prostitutes murdered by lorry drivers are more likely to be able to view it as a crass stereotyping by Clarkson.

Personally, I'm not offended but I'm a little angry that the parents have been.

Nail on the head mate! The fact that it's the grieving parents who have been offended is where the problem lies. Not what anyone on this site may or may not think!

And what the ****** has PC got to do with this.

What a bunch of ****ing t0$$pots this site breeds!

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
I think it was a misguided, though understandable gesture of solidarity towards a friend of his - and the media have got ridiculously carried away. However, this is not as important as the crucial point that David Norris plays for Ipswich Town FC; and consequently, he should hang. :mad:

:)

His mate was twice over the limit and killed two young laddies.

For anyone to show support to that animal in any way is a slap in the face to the family.

I'm glad the club have fined him and I'm glad the FA are getting involved.

Its all about opinions and imo he should have kept any messages to his mate private. Its still very soon after the incident and the parents really didnt need this, which I'm sure has just ended in more pain.

Its a very very sensitive issue.

Exactly - just goes to show yet again that many professional footballers are not exactly the brightest of individuals on this planet.

I P Knightley
Nail on the head mate! The fact that it's the grieving parents who have been offended is where the problem lies. Not what anyone on this site may or may not think!

And what the ****** has PC got to do with this.

What a bunch of ****ing t0$$pots this site breeds!

You're right. I should stop beating around the bush :D

I suspect that those who brought up the PC issue think that "PC" is the abbreviation for "Common Decency".

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Thought it was pretty inappropriate myself

I'd go along with that. I'm hardly shaking with rage but it was a bit tactless.

At worst, the guy didn't exactly think it through. That's all you can say.

How can you say that? Has he had a brain transplant somewhere down the line?

If he couldn't foresee the furore this would cause, then him being too thick to conduct himself appropriately in the public eye is no defence.

I'm glad the media have blown this out of proportion, it might encourage professional footballers to activate their brain cell in future.

Well, i'm sure the family of the kids don't see it as a "non event".

Obviously it'll depend on his explanation but if it was a "show of support" then it's a stupid thing to do and pretty distasteful.

Exactly.

It`s feckin typical of society today. If he is showing public support for someone who caused a horrific accident through severe lack of consideration and responsibility then he should be punished by his club.

I`m sure his family are horrified at what he done(mcCormick) but all the same sympathetic because he didn`t mean it.

But it doesn`t mean you flaunt what you feel in public.

It proves footballers live in their own wee bubble. Norris is a tube if he meant it as a message to McCormick.

Archived