Remembrance service attendance

Geoff Kilpatrick

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just back, I would say it was slightly busier than last year.

Could have been about 800-900 but I'm rubbish at guessing crowds?

I'm just back, I would say it was slightly busier than last year.

Could have been about 800-900 but I'm rubbish at guessing crowds?

Just in aswell, don't think you are far off with that figure. Busiest one I've ben too.

Traffic situation a disgrace as ever.

Just in aswell, don't think you are far off with that figure. Busiest one I've ben too.

Traffic situation a disgrace as ever.

Yeah, nothing more poignant than the sound of a bin lorry in the background when the last post is playing!

stirlingshirejambo

We couldn't make it as laddie was playing today but I rasked the coaches if we could have a show of respect by the team. The when game in full flow was stopped at 11 o'clock precisely for a minutes silence impeccably observed by all. Few of boys including my own wore poppy's on their shirts.

Wherever we are whatever we doing we will never forget.

Guest juvehearts

Would have been at the very least 800.

again the traffic situatation a disgrace.

i didnt see vlad there, i was futher back this year, anyone confirm he was there.

not wanting to cause a stir or anything, but if someone that is directly connected with hearts cant bother to turn up aint worth being accountiable for us.

Nucky Thompson
Would have been at the very least 800.

again the traffic situatation a disgrace.

i didnt see vlad there, i was futher back this year, anyone confirm he was there.

not wanting to cause a stir or anything, but if someone that is directly connected with hearts cant bother to turn up aint worth being accountiable for us.

Vlad wasn't there but Sergie Fedotovas was there and he is a director. Great turnout but why do they only stop the traffic for 5 minutes at 11am?

The speaker invited the "chairman" to lay the 1st wreath.

I assumed that meant that Roman was there, but I couldn't see either.

Guest juvehearts

that really hurts me as a passionate jambo who pours my heart & soul into this club & he kannae even attend a 45 minute remberance service.

even CPR attended in his darkest days, can only respcet him for that only.

Nucky Thompson
that really hurts me as a passionate jambo who pours my heart & soul into this club & he kannae even attend a 45 minute remberance service.

even CPR attended in his darkest days, can only respcet him for that only.

It's a bit different circumstances with the Pieman as he only stayed in Balerno and Vlad is based in Lithuania. He was represented by Fedotovas and that's good enough for me. Now get off your fecking high horse and find something else to slate VR about.

just home from what was a lovely service!

well done to all who attended. it was a poignant morning.

hearts of the somme was just wonderful, and the speakers were great. i did shed a tear while we were singing abide with me though. berra reading the letter was lovely, and the last post, as always had me choked.

regarding the traffic, i commented to redm that i couldn't believe they were allowing the traffic to move, especially given the streets were so busy. that was pretty disgraceful.

a wonderfully dignified and touching service

Vlad wasn't there but Sergie Fedotovas was there and he is a director. Great turnout but why do they only stop the traffic for 5 minutes at 11am?

IIRC, the traffic was stopped for the duration last year.

I know the service lasted a bit longer than usual but i would have preferred the traffic to have been stopped completely.

That said, i thought it was a very fitting service.

Guest juvehearts
It's a bit different circumstances with the Pieman as he only stayed in Balerno and Vlad is based in Lithuania. He was represented by Fedotovas and that's good enough for me. Now get off your fecking high horse and find something else to slate VR about.

Anything to put the boot into that man.

dont like him, never hve & never will.

YES even when the good times were here for 11 games, I Still vented my frustration at his appointment.

We were warned by Eddie Smith & John Yorkson that he was an imposter, Now im not one to say i told you so but..... (not you directly Boo)

I had never been before until today I am ashamed to admit.

Suppose I never really thought about it too much and only recently have researched some of the threads about it and found it very interesting. Also there is the issue of the moving of the monument.

Without being too soppy it did make me feel even closer to Hearts and this long standing reminder of not only the great war but the sacrifices much closer to home must not be forgotten.

I do agree however that Vlad has dropped even further down the rankings if is confirmed he was not in attendance (dont think for a minute he was).

One small gripe. Could British Rail or whatever they are called today not realise where they are located and put a bit of thought into the tannoy announcements. The mark of respect at the silence was only shattered by the ill timed announcement from Haymarket station.

Now I know trains need to run and announcements need to be made but this 2 minutes could have easily been respected by a bit planning and understanding of what was going on. It was the only noise I heard outside of the traffic which was another thing as for some reason I though the street was closed off while the ceremony goes on but possibly logistically not feesable.

IIRC, the traffic was stopped for the duration last year.

I know the service lasted a bit longer than usual but i would have preferred the traffic to have been stopped completely.

That said, i thought it was a very fitting service.

I think you are right that last year the traffic stopped for the whole service and it made such a huge difference. I was near the PA this year so it didn't disturb too much but still pretty poor that traffic wasn't stopped for longer - especially given there were quite a lot of people on the other side of the road! It's not like anyone can get anywhere quickly in Edinburgh these days anyway... half an hour wouldn't have made much difference.

Still a great and poignant service though. Lots of emotional moments, and good to see so many younger people there too as they are the ones who will carry this tradition on in years to come.

A few photos for those not able to make it :

http://www.pfsc08674.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/HOMST/images/Image224.jpg

http://www.pfsc08674.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/HOMST/images/Image227.jpg

http://www.pfsc08674.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/HOMST/images/Image229.jpg

http://www.pfsc08674.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/HOMST/images/Image231.jpg

http://www.pfsc08674.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/HOMST/images/Image235.jpg

http://www.pfsc08674.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/HOMST/images/Image239.jpg

http://www.pfsc08674.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/HOMST/images/Image240.jpg (the JKB wreath is visible in this one)

You can't really gauge the crowd from these photos as most people were behind were I was standing.

Got there at twenty past ten and couldn't get on the island, so it must have been a good turn out.

Hated the traffic, loved the Berra speech, and choked at the Hearts of Glory.

Took the Mrs for the first time and she was well impressed with the attendance and the reverence given.

Proud to be a Jambo.

Thought the crowd was very good today.

Very good ceremony and touching.

Thought the new verses in the "Hearts of glory" song were very moving.

Well done to all who took part.

Geddy

jambos are go!

I've been going every year for nearly 40 years and I've no doubt it was the biggest attendance I've seen. Inspiring!!!

Biggest turnout I've seen in about the last 5 years.

As already mentioned though, I think the traffic was stopped for about 15 mins last year and it allowed the pipes, last post, readings etc to be enjoyed by most people there. Today we got about 5 minutes tops :mad:

Also see the BR tannoy mentioned. thought it was maybe an 11th hour silence request being relayed at first ...........but it went on for yonks :sad:

Need to speak to our resident Scotrail employee about that :rolleyes:

Anyway, that's more then enough griping on what was a well attended well organised remembrance service. Well done all concerned

Special thanks to the Scots Guards Club of course

Re the traffic

The council are quite happy to shut the city centre for the marathon ,

the fireworks and new year party but not for a remembrance service.

Disgrace

Seymour M Hersh

Very hard to say how big the attendance was. The wife and I really thought it was the best service we'd been to though. Re the traffic until we get 3 or 4 times the numbers today and force the traffic to stop for the full service I can't see the police topping it for 40+ minutes in all honesty.

Were all the players in attendance?

first team & under 19s. looked like the lot of them actually

Got there at twenty past ten and couldn't get on the island, so it must have been a good turn out.

Hated the traffic, loved the Berra speech, and choked at the Hearts of Glory.

Took the Mrs for the first time and she was well impressed with the attendance and the reverence given.

Proud to be a Jambo.

It was very busy. I was standing outside the Haymarket behind the railing, so didn't see anything apart from about fifteen rows of heads in front of me, but it was a good turn-out.

I spoke to the inspector in charge at 9:30 and he asked how many we expected "2-300 "he guessed. I told him we expected many more. Given the size they have cropped the island to and the chos with the roadworks round about I thought the police did quite well. I also noticed that a number of the TIE employees who were working outside the station stopped and pid attention during the service (not sure that having so many working double time was not a ploy by TIE to disrupt). The whole first team and a great deal of other players were also there too, Stevie Fraill was spotted by someone.

I have never been before , always attended my BB company service in the past but certainly a good number there. Craig Herbertson's piece was brilliant.

Now the emphasis moves to getting the clock back as soon as possible.

I spoke to the inspector in charge at 9:30 and he asked how many we expected "2-200 "he guessed. I told him we expected many more. Given the size they have cropped the island to and the chos with the roadworks round about I thought the police did quite well. I also noticed that a number of the TIE employees who were working outside the station stopped and pid attention during the service (not sure that having so many working double time was not a ploy by TIE to disrupt). The whole first team and a great deal of other players were also there too, Stevie Fraill was spotted by someone.

I have never been before , always attended my BB company service in the past but certainly a good number there. Craig Herbertson's piece was brilliant.

Shaggy was indeed on the island, on the Haymarket station side.

Very hard to say how big the attendance was. The wife and I really thought it was the best service we'd been to though. Re the traffic until we get 3 or 4 times the numbers today and force the traffic to stop for the full service I can't see the police topping it for 40+ minutes in all honesty.

This should be our target for next year!!!!!

A campaign to get as many fans there as possible and make sure the traffic is at a standstill!!!!

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Re the traffic

Disgrace

One reason for that.

money.jpg

I spoke to the inspector in charge at 9:30 and he asked how many we expected "2-300 "he guessed. I told him we expected many more. Given the size they have cropped the island to and the chos with the roadworks round about I thought the police did quite well. I also noticed that a number of the TIE employees who were working outside the station stopped and pid attention during the service (not sure that having so many working double time was not a ploy by TIE to disrupt). The whole first team and a great deal of other players were also there too, Stevie Fraill was spotted by someone.

It would be hard to guess the numbers I suppose and fair play to the Fuzz for keeping order, however given the 'rammy' going on with the council I would have thought they might honestly have expected more than that ?

portobellojambo1

I, like others, find it difficult to estimate the crowds at such things. It certainly looked busier than normal, but I don't know if that is because everyone was squeezed into a much smaller area than normal. Doesn't matter how many times you go it always remains very moving, very poignant.

As for the traffic issues I think these were compounded this year by the work that is going on around Haymarket. Last year I think diversions were in place, and in some cases the traffic stopped, I think the lack of alternatives this year made it much more difficult to deal with. That is not meant to sound like an excuse though, I do feel that given the significance of the occasion to ask that traffic is stopped for a maximum of 45 minutes is not a lot.

Thanks are due to The Royal Scots Guards Club and the FHSC for their hospitality afterwards.

Nucky Thompson
I was standing just along from him, you can see him in the first photo link posted above standing at the back.

portobellojambo1
I was standing just along from him, you can see him in the first photo link posted above standing at the back.

Noticed Alan Maybury standing across the road, almost outside the door to the Indian restaurant.

Re the traffic

Disgrace

Maybe nobody asked?

All the above will have gone through, I'm sure, a statutory process to temporarily close the road(s). Similar applies in towns down here for "Riding of the marches" type events, even for their relatively short closures of an hour or two. Maybe someone needs to actually investigate/pursue that in future? (Sorry, but I'm unclear who actually organises this).

Maybe nobody asked?

All the above will have gone through, I'm sure, a statutory process to temporarily close the road(s). Similar applies in towns down here for "Riding of the marches" type events, even for their relatively short closures of an hour or two. Maybe someone needs to actually investigate/pursue that in future? (Sorry, but I'm unclear who actually organises this).

Not sure if it has been requested but I cant honestly see any change in the current policy..............unless we attend in such great numbers that it has to be looked at ?

I also dont know why we got about 15mins grace from the traffic last year though - yet only about 5 mins today, with a bigger crowd too ?

Stevie Frail was indeed there. I had the good fortune to have a wee chat with him.

He is clearly a Hearts man through and through and he stated that when he first stepped through the front door in 1994 that was him, he loves the club. He is clearly very passionate about our club and I for one was glad to see him there.

He was very proud to be Manager of the club and I honestly believe that he has a big part of his life missing at this time. A damn fine chap.

Great to see him there.

Rod.

Re: The Traffic

I do not know who would have to be approached but God I hope the bumbling baffoon Top Cop has nothing to do with it!!

The Senior Copper on the Island today with the scrambled egg on his hat, Firstly, "Right could everybody just move over there, bunch up , to make way for the band?" We all did. The band then took up their position on the other side of the island! "Right, can everybody move back?", says Inspector Bumble.

Secondly, at the end, "If you all just wait there I will get the traffic stopped so you can all cross the road,", female Cop, " But, Sir, we have already stopped the traffic and the people you have just stopped from crossing are OK to cross!!".

If he has anything to do with any "important" decisions then we are F*****D. :)

A right brain of Britain he was.

Rod.

Nucky Thompson
Re: The Traffic

I do not know who would have to be approached but God I hope the bumbling baffoon Top Cop has nothing to do with it!!

The Senior Copper on the Island today with the scrambled egg on his hat, Firstly, "Right could everybody just move over there, bunch up , to make way for the band?" We all did. The band then took up their position on the other side of the island! "Right, can everybody move back?", says Inspector Bumble.

Secondly, at the end, "If you all just wait there I will get the traffic stopped so you can all cross the road,", female Cop, " But, Sir, we have already stopped the traffic and the people you have just stopped from crossing are OK to cross!!".

If he has anything to do with any "important" decisions then we are F*****D. :)

A right brain of Britain he was.

Rod.

I think I was standing right next to you Rod:) I had a dark suit, black shirt and sun glasses on.

Couldn't make it today as I no longer live in Edinburgh, attended the last three years though. Glad everything was as respectful as always. Still cannot believe the council will not just liaise with the Police and stop the traffic for an hour.

There are some things in life where money and politics should not matter and this is one of them. Get the road closed off next year please and let us all respect the sacrifices of those great men and women who gave us our lives as they are today.

It can't be that hard to stick some barriers up with a big sign saying 'remembrance service, road closed for an hour' and people will respect the reason for the closure and simply find another route or they might even park up and come join the service which would be a great thing if it happened.

Looking forward to the upcoming push to get the memorial back in place as soon as possible, people power will hopefully rule.

Lest we forget.

Thought the service went off very well this morning. The traffic situation was a bit of a joke and I can't really see why the traffic coming down Morrison Street could not have been diverted along the Western Approach Road for the duration of the service. This would have created far more space for those in attendance.

The Salvation Army Band reminded me of attending games in the sixties when they used to parade around the pitch at Tynecastle at half time with the "Blood and Fire" banner to the fore.

Biggest turn out I've seen in all the years i've been going.

Makes you very hunble and proud to be associated with The Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

Lest we forget.

From where I was standing , outside the Haymarket pub, I found it difficult to hear several of the speakers particularly Christophe I heard the minister, the corporal from the Regiment of Scotland and Craig's singing loud and clear though.

Glad I went and will try and attend next year wherever it's held.

Its been a long time baby

Offical site says 500, looked more than that to me. I stood over the road for the first time as I coulndnt get on the island and the crowd snaked round up onto morrison to that indian place, also people standing at all the corners around Haymarket

Csabo, Campbell Ogilvie and another went into the Grosvenor for a coffee straight after

They went straight into an alcove in for some kind of confab.

I sent my other half to get Csabo's to autograph my hymn sheet, but she never picked on anything they said.

It's about the thoughts and memories -- as long as we remember them and pay them the respect they are due then the numbers are not important.

To those who attended -- well done.

To those who made the ultimate sacrifice -- no words can say enough about them.

More people than the PA could adequately address.

:)

Never heard a word and the traffic never helped.

Heard Hearts of Glory though and that sent me away happy.

Archived