Remembrance service attendance

Geoff Kilpatrick

Never going to happen as long as the numbers are less than a thousand (or about that). For the police to close the roads, we need a heck of a lot more people to come along.

Is that, or should that be an aim for your group?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Prince Buaben
They're on the album - the shorter version was produced for the single

This is my story

This is my song

It's a long way from Gorgie

To the fields o' the Somme

Where they played tunes of glory

As we marched along

The pals o' the Sporting Battalion

From the Heart of Midlothian

To the Waverly train

The crowds they were singing

An auld Scots refrain

Our sweethearts and darlings

Our bonnie wee bairns

Were waving their flags

And calling our names

Sing Hearts of Glory

Dawn and sunset

Hearts of glory

Lest we forget

Young Scottish soldiers

And soldiers unknown

Who gave hearts of glory

In the trenches of Picardy

The whistles are blown

And it's over the top lads

Through the wire and the bombs

To pain and destruction

Let the piper play

To lead us to hell

To death and dismay

There was never a moment

I was not afraid

But there by my side

Were the gallant McCrae's

Until they fell in the slaughter

When the bayonets were out

And the few of us left

Held the auld Scots Redoubt

Ellis and Currie

Briggs, Boyd, Hazeldean

Wattie and Nisbet

He was only sixteen

Their names I'll remember

At the end of each day

They fought and died

Wi' Geordie McCrae

Who cared for the Kaiser

Or Imperial gains

Love of our country

Duty or fame?

Between the whim of an airman

And four feathers of shame

We fought for the pals

Of a wee fitba team

And when it was over

Just what had we done?

There were no flags of glory

For McCrae and his own

There were no graves for heroes

For our brothers and sons

Who sleep 'neath the flowers

In the fields of the Somme

Some came back as cripples

Some couldnae kick a ball

Some wounded and broken

Most came not at all

But they remain in my memory

Forever young

The pals o' the Sporting Battalion

Sing Hearts of Glory

Dawn and sunset

Hearts of glory

Lest we forget

Young Scottish soldiers

And soldiers unknown

Who gave hearts of glory

How do you get a hold of the album

Good turnout, def more than last year. Very fitting service, Hearts of Glory rendition was superb, If the traffic cannot be halted for the whole service then perhaps a comprimise is in order to extend the period of closure?

Job well done from Berra on the reading too.

**Ah**

Good turnout, def more than last year. Very fitting service, Hearts of Glory rendition was superb, If the traffic cannot be halted for the whole service then perhaps a comprimise is in order to extend the period of closure?

Job well done from Berra on the reading too.

**Ah**

If I'm not mistaken we got a good 15 minutes last year ?

That at least allowed the last post, the flowers of the forrest ( ?) and the readings - all to be done while receiving 'the best of order'

I think we got till about 11:05 this year :sad:

If I'm not mistaken we got a good 15 minutes last year ?

That at least allowed the last post, the flowers of the forrest ( ?) and the readings - all to be done while receiving 'the best of order'

I think we got till about 11:05 this year :sad:

Yep, there was only 5-6 minutes this year. They could easily have given us 10-15 minutes.

Still, brilliant turn out.

Guest Dipped Flake

Biggest turnout since I have been going. Great to see the whole Hearts squad, including the youngsters turning up. Also great to see Frail there, although I thought it was a bit sad to see him standing away in the background for this, but I suppose that was his personal decision. Agree with most regarding the traffic, until we get thousand(s) turning up we can't really expect them to halt the flow for more than a few minutes but would have been good for the polis to ask people to turn off their engines

I?ve been going regularly for about of 1/4 of a century and it was the most Hearts orientated service I have heard in all that time with the words by Jack Alexander and Berra and the Hearts of Glory song lifting it above the usual bog standard remembrance service.

With only one loud speaker it?s just luck if you are in a good position to hear. Another speaker or 2 would ensure everybody could hear even above the traffic noise. I don?t think it would be possible or right to stop the traffic for the entire service.

Is that, or should that be an aim for your group?

First things first, get the memorial back to where it should be and as quickly as possible. However, as to the future of the service, I would suspect that the police would only keep the traffic away for the duration of the service if the crowds demanded it, ie so many people that they had to stand on the road.

If that is the case then yes, I think it is fair to say that the group would aim to increase attendance of the service.

Goodmorningmrfisherman
First things first, get the memorial back to where it should be and as quickly as possible. However, as to the future of the service, I would suspect that the police would only keep the traffic away for the duration of the service if the crowds demanded it, ie so many people that they had to stand on the road.

If that is the case then yes, I think it is fair to say that the group would aim to increase attendance of the service.

It will never happen mate.First thing the council will say "we gave you the chance to move it"if it ever comes back to its prominent location now(i doubt it will).

Also suggest trying to enlist Brian Fallon and Eric Mulligan for advice wheather people on board like them or not the years of experience those guys have got would be invalubale to the future for forthcoming services.

yeah we said that at the time too.

he spoke to redm a bit, but i managed to zone him out. he said to her that he didn't know what it was for, but his mates had told him there was a memorial service at haymarket today, so he thought he'd come along.

i think he was slightly touched

at least he was there, just wish he'd stood somewhere else.

The more I think about it, I'm convinced that he was with a carer. Remember the guy who stood away and left him to do his own thing but was with him later in the Mercat? Anyway, he certainly added something to the service....and he took a right fancy to you, Bev. He was taking you for champagne and I wasn't invited. Lucky girl. ;)

As for the service, I thought it was lovely. Although there was slightly more Hearts content, it probably wouldn't have upset the remembrance purists as it was all so carefully done, and seemed very appropriate to me. Great turnout too, so a huge well done to everyone who made it. It makes you very proud to be a Jambo.

Btw, if anyone has any pics from the service please let me know as I'd like to get them all together in time for the next meeting of the Friends of the Heart of Midlothian War Memorial. Just send me a PM or something and I can reply with my email address...would be most grateful, thanks in advance. :)

I certainly wouldn't want to make political capital out of this, and I'm not trying to stir up trouble over what is IMHO an excellently organised event, but if anyone has a suggestion or comments for TIE/ Chief Constable/ Council/ HMFC over how the service is managed then the Fans Forum would be happy to pass that on to the appropriate people.

Email me at [email protected] or come along to the AGM on the 17th .

Up until now the service has been run by Jack Alexander and the Trust in liaison with the club but the Friends of the Heart of Midlothian War Memorial group has been set up and the organisation of the service is one of the things this group will be handling. The plan is that the 'Friends' will be doing the service from next year and we have a forthcoming meeting with the club to work out the best way forward in that respect.

Your AGM is before our meeting with the club so if you gather any comments, can you please let us know and we'll include them in our agenda for discussion? T'would be very helpful.

:)

Up until now the service has been run by Jack Alexander and the Trust in liaison with the club but the Friends of the Heart of Midlothian War Memorial group has been set up and the organisation of the service is one of the things this group will be handling. The plan is that the 'Friends' will be doing the service from next year and we have a forthcoming meeting with the club to work out the best way forward in that respect.

No, it wasn't! Jack and the Trust organise the Contalmaison service annually but not the Haymarket service, though they perhaps play a part. The service at Haymarket was organised for many years by the Federation but over the last few the club itself has once again taken the lead (which is good to see) and they have worked closely with volunteers from the Federation and other fans associations.

With regard to the earlier post about Stevie Frail, it certainly was good to see him yesterday but as for the claims that he is a Hearts man through and through I beg to differ. Stevie himself told a large group of Hearts fans in the Gorgie Suite last year that he is and always will be a Celtic fan. This makes his appearance yesterday of his own volition even more significant.

Sniffer

No, it wasn't! Jack and the Trust organise the Contalmaison service annually but not the Haymarket service, though they perhaps play a part. The service at Haymarket was organised for many years by the Federation but over the last few the club itself has once again taken the lead (which is good to see) and they have worked closely with volunteers from the Federation and other fans associations.

With regard to the earlier post about Stevie Frail, it certainly was good to see him yesterday but as for the claims that he is a Hearts man through and through I beg to differ. Stevie himself told a large group of Hearts fans in the Gorgie Suite last year that he is and always will be a Celtic fan. This makes his appearance yesterday of his own volition even more significant.

Sniffer

The club hasn't taken the lead again entirely through choice. They want the fans to take the bulk of the responsibility for this service and to be honest, that's exactly as it should be. So anyway, that's coming up for discussion in the next few weeks. If groups want to be involved, they will be - but the commitment has to be made to ensure some form of continuity in years to come.

Sniffer

His words mate...after walking through the door in 1994 that was him he said...said he wasn't a supporter before then but that day changed him.

Rod.

Old Pivotonian

Your AGM is before our meeting with the club so if you gather any comments, can you please let us know and we'll include them in our agenda for discussion? T'would be very helpful.

That makes complete sense.

Some comments have come in to me already. As you say, we may get more at the AGM. I'll happily pass them on to you afterwards.

Thanks for that.

Graham,

Jack Alexander

Sniffer

For the last few years the McCrae's Battalion Trust has been helping the football club to organise the Haymarket ceremony. The Federation and 'other fans associations' have not been involved. Indeed that's the very reason that the MB Trust are doing it - pending the emergence of a credible and committed group of supporters who are prepared to devote their time (and even, perhaps, some of their own money) to running the event in the long term.

It's taken a while but we now have the Friends of the Heart of Midlothian War Memorial - all Hearts supporters and (for the most part) young Hearts supporters. They are articulate, well organised and passionate about the Memorial's place in the club's history.

On many occasions the opportunity to become involved in helping with the ceremony has been flagged up on JKB and other platforms. We weren't exactly knocked over by the rush of volunteers. So these guys deserve tremendous credit. Making sure that Haymarket runs properly every year is actually time-consuming and difficult. Issues of policing and traffic management are much more complex than most folk seem to appreciate. The lessons that the MB Trust has learned over the course of the past few events will stand the club and the Friends in good stead during the years to come.

In the mean time my colleagues on the MB Trust deserve recognition for their part in the recent 'resurrection' of the ceremony. Particularly 'Sergeant Sandy' (who some of you on the board have come to know from Contalmaison). Sandy doesn't support Hearts (or any football team, for that matter) but he gives his considerable time because he's proud of the tradition of Remembrance. An enormous amount of work goes on in the background and we have seen no sign of any other supporters group during any stage of the annual process.

When the Memorial returns to Haymarket we will organise a grand ceremony of 're-dedication' - run (as closely as possible) along the lines of the original unveiling. That was a 'national' event, by the way! This will be a real logistical challenge. But it will also be an opportunity for Hearts supporters, the City of Edinburgh and the nation to re-engage with the clocktower and to re-commit themselves to the memory that it represents.

That will signal the end of the MB Trust's 'trusteeship' of Haymarket. It's been an honour to have been involved, but responsibility for the ceremony now devolves upon a group of young Hearts supporters, who will see the Memorial through its centenary and a long way into the future. They deserve support from the entire Hearts 'family'. If HMFC is indeed the 'Heart and Soul of Edinburgh', then the clocktower must surely be the 'Heart and Soul of Hearts.'

Dougie Masterton

There were 12 Hearts fans who couldn't make the service at Haymarket. We travelled out to Contalmaison to lay wreaths at the cairn. Wreaths were laid on behalf of the club, friends of Haymarket clock and various Hearts supporters clubs. There was no service, just the laying of the wreaths. No sign of the Maire of Contalmaison, maybe there will be wreath laying today??

After securing the wreaths to the cairn 4 of the guys left and the rest of us walked to the Gordon Dump cemetary and then on to la Boisselle to the Lochnagar crater. Taxi back to Albert to the Highlander pub, and a few refreshment before heading back to Paris.

Dougie

Thanks for transporting and laying the 'Friends' wreath ... it was and is very much appreciated ... I'm sure the various Hearts supporters clubs will echo these sentiments.

Archived