Russel Brand - The guy is just not funny

vegas-voss

I found it very funny. I find both Ross and Brand very funny.

So shoot me with a sniper rifle from your moral high ground. Then go find a sense of humour.

:P

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So shoot me with a sniper rifle from your moral high ground. Then go find a sense of humour.

I concur - I find both of them very funny and entertaining. Screw the moral high ground!!!

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I find them both funny at times, yet rather annoying at others.

I see they have both been been suspended by the BBC. I wonder if the BBC Executive that allowed this RECORDED programme to be aired has suffered the same suspension, - I some how doubt it :mad:

Commander Harris

apparantly(according to Radio 2 just there) neither will now be allowed to broadcast on the beeb until after the inquiry.

loveofthegame
Both been suspended until investigation is over.

What a load of ****e. Ross is the BBC's biggest asset and stopping his programmes is a farce.

18000 complaints. WTF! Are people so sad that all they have to do in their pitiful lives is complain about something like this. I literally hate the ''I'm so offended'' brigade.

While what they did was crass and a bit over the top it was a prank - I am sure people have done a lot worse to be honest.

The fact that Politicians etc are getting themselves involved shows how this has been taken way to far.

If they two had been allowed to apologise from the off and Offcom had not made such a meal out of it I very much doubt we would be sitting discussing it on this thread.

But just for the record

Russel Brand is a bawbag of the highest order and I find almost everything he does unfunny - its nothing to do with this latest stunt.

Jonothan Ross is quite a funny guy and I do enjoy watching his TV show.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I doubt they are bothered to be honest.

They will both bugger off to Sky/ITV/Channel 4 for mega bucks.

Can't really see what all the fuss is about. Don't have time for either Brand or Ross & their stunt was puerile and unfunny. If it was illegal, then get the police involved. If Sachs was offended, then he should complain behind the scenes to the BBC where the presenters & show producer should give an apology (and probably a gesture of goodwill such as a donation to Sachs' favourity charity). Getting the press, politicians & Gordon Brown involved and digging up Mary Whitehouse is completely over the top.

The 18000 complainents should get a life. I expect only a small handful heard the original show (of which most heard the f word and squealed like piggies), the rest either deliberately got access to the show to find out what all the fuss was about or complained purely on what the Mail on Sunday (that great bastian of free speech and liberal thinking) reported.

Should they be sacked? We'll at least that would be funny.

If it had just been Brand he would have been sacked, because Ross was involved as well, its highly unlikley.

Perhaps if I complained that I am offended by them being suspended they would be re-instated???

What a load of nonsence though, I cant believe people complain about stuff like that.

On another note though, surely we can get someone like Chic Young suspended next time they are derogatory about Hearts!!

If Ross or Brand gets sacked, it causes more publicity for them, why doesn't everyone just not bother about it, i'm sure if andrew sachs is so offended he'd prefer it just to be brushed under the carpet rather than getting a constant reminder.

I personally find ross ok, and i really like brands humour and after reading the transcripts of the incident certainly wasn't disturbed by what they said.....trouble is, its the BBC and because Sachs is a legend in their eyes, for playing his major role in fawlty towers anything said against him etc is deemed unthinkable.....of course sachs mimicking a man from spain.....not offensive to some spanish people........

Think people just need to lighten up a little.....

TBH i'm sure his granddaughter is delighted with the publicity, due to her failed attempt at being a page 3 model last year......

i'm not offended by the phone call, in fact i'm so disinterested in it i've not even bothered to look it up to listen

wossy i like, usually funny and pretty clever

brand however, is a scote

Tiberius Stinkfinger
i'm not offended by the phone call, in fact i'm so disinterested in it i've not even bothered to look it up to listen

Just watched it on youtube and cannot for the life of me see what all the fuss is about.

Its a load of nonsense and neither funny or obscene.

A pathetic attempt at humour which doesn't cut it for me.

Are they Jambo's ??? Cos it looks like they have been hung out to dry to me. ;)

The BBC have only reacted because of the number of complaints submitted. Nevertheless the two of them should be taken to task for their juvenile prank. Why phone Andrew Sachs after all he is only her uncle! I know he is a well known actor so he is a prime target for the jest. I wonder if Ross would like it if someone phoned him on air in a a year or two (I don't know their ages) to say they had had it off with his daughters Betty or Honey?

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I'm sick to death hearing about this. Storm, teacup etc etc

TWO PEOPLE complained when it was actually broadcast nearly ELEVEN DAYS AGO and that was about the bad language.

Daily Mail et al get a hold of it and the moral majority mobilise in their thousands

We're in the midst of our worst economic crisis for decades and Gordon Brown is commenting on stuff on an old giffers D list actor's answering machine (who probably cant remember what he had for his breakfast)

Comedy's supposed to be funny and edgy and offend people.

Sachs knew/gave permission for it to be broadcast too

(Read the paragraph after Ross in Trouble)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7695951.stm

The complete over the top "Daily Mail" reading moral repugnance, is what's morally repugnant.

To actually threaten their careers (wheather they are funny or not) with this so called prank is quite mad.:conf11::conf11:

Does Jonathan Ross have children? Does Russell Brand have a sister or a mother? Ignoring what Andrew Sach's female relative does for a living, just how flexible would the Ross/Brand sense be if somebody made similar remarks about thier families?

What I am really trying to find out here is: Has any of you copulated with Jonathan Ross's wife/ daughters? Or performed a sexual act on Russell Brand's closest female relative? If you have could you leave a message on their answerphone? Than you.

I find them both quite funny, J.Ross especially.

here's Mr Sachs's grand daughter.http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1080839/Pictured-The-Page-Three-wannabe-centre-Brand-Rosss-prank-calls--BBC-apologises-Fawlty-Towers-star.html

Not bad at all.

Can you stick that Busby pic in avatar upload section please! LOL!

Be ever so grateful

Lynn:ph34r:

This is my point Bev... people saying they should be sacked without even hearing it etc... sticking up for Ross when Ross was the real instigator.

Very British thing imo.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
This is my point Bev... people saying they should be sacked without even hearing it etc... sticking up for Ross when Ross was the real instigator.

Very British thing imo.

Woss is wong!!!!!

Can you stick that Busby pic in avatar upload section please! LOL!

Be ever so grateful

Lynn:ph34r:

You have a message Lynn.

I dont think what they did was very funny or clever BUT I do like Russell Brand on the radio, I listen on way home from matches on a Sat night and personally think its brilliant :chase::peepwall: Quite enjoy Jonathon Ross if I remember to watch on a Fri too, does that make me a saddo, weirdo or deviant?

I also find them both quite amusing and enjoy watching and listening to them. Put it this way I'd rather see my license fee go to them than towards another bleeding Soap, Cookery show, X Factor type rubbish or I'm a celebrity type crap.

Not really.

If you phoned up one of your exe's grandads and bragged about sticking one on his granddaughter, taunting him about the affair and saying that you hoped he didn't top himself over it, you'd get arrested.

complete over-reaction from all involved.....

is there nothing better for our press & MPs to be focussing on?

Not really.

If you phoned up one of your exe's grandads and bragged about sticking one on his granddaughter, taunting him about the affair and saying that you hoped he didn't top himself over it, you'd get arrested.

Well if thats the law then they should be arrested.

There is, however, no need for it to have been one of the top stories on the news for the past 3 days.

I also don't believe that 20000 people found it offensive enough on first listening to complain. It's just a massive case of everyone jumping on the bandwagon.

Sachs hasn't tried to get the police involved and it sounds more like he just wants to forget the whole thing.

Incidentally, I would find it rather difficult to talk to anyone about "sticking one on his granddaughter".

I can see this snowballing and Ross probably being forced to resign. The BBC has been under attack (I'm sure there was governmental sniping) over his reputed salary in the past, and this 'error of judgement' could be his end on the BBC. It might also be in the corporation's best interest to release him, as it will soon be feeling the financial pinch.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

It's not really about moral high ground though is it?

It's just bad patter to phone a fecking pensioner and abuse his family.

If thats how you get your kicks then your a bit weird.

It's only a matter of time until the Granddaughter is laughing it off whilst pictured on Page 3 topless on a swing.

The mock outrage on here and the Daily Mail especially has been hilarious.

I'm sure Manuel will be able to top up his retirement funds with all this exposure and he knows it.

Apparantly Brand has resigned from the BBC.

Thats one of the most entertaining radio shows now gone because the BBC let this whole thing snowball. There were next to no complaints when the show was actually aired!

Fair enough the messages were a bit of order but lets have a bit perspective here. Brand was wrong on this one but his radio show has been consistently excellent and IMO he has got away with far worse in the past simply because the moral outrage brigade have remained unaware - as they should always be!

I find Russell Brand quite an intellectual, lovely comedian who sometimes acts like a masquerading rascal.

Usually has nice shoes too.

chester copperpot
I find Russell Brand quite an intellectual, lovely comedian who sometimes acts like a masquerading rascal.

Usually has nice shoes too.

Brand will come out of this with more money. FACT.

I hate the crawling *******. I'd rather pish in my own cornflakes than look or listen to that rat tailed arsehole.

I hate the crawling *******. I'd rather pish in my own cornflakes than look or listen to that rat tailed arsehole.

Superb!

This is sensationalism at it's worst (or best) - you can go into virtually any pub in Edinburgh on a Friday or Saturday night and hear that kind of cr*p - from men and women - the only reason this is getting any airtime is because they're "celebrities". I agree that they should both be censured - but we need to look at ourselves too - these guys are playing to an audience.

It's only a matter of time until the Granddaughter is laughing it off whilst pictured on Page 3 topless on a swing.

I'm sure Manuel will be able to top up his retirement funds with all this exposure and he knows it.

Only a matter of time, she's just employed Max Clifford.

portobellojambo1

Agree totally Andy, he is about as funny as a fatal disease, a knob of the highest order.

Page 3??

She's a member of Satanic Sluts, FFS!!!!

She already makes her money as a goth stripper. No need for page 3.

http://www.satanic-sluts.com/

Voluptua is her stage name.

Only a matter of time, she's just employed Max Clifford.

Just employed? This whole thing reeks of Clifford from start to finish!

Frightening how easy it is for the Daily Mail to manipulate the UK public and generate 'moral outrage' - out of context it's easy to work a story with the comments - but listen to the whole programme and the level of 'outrage' doesn't actually match what was broadcast (which was daft but not vile or any of the other emotive words being chucked about).

Elements of the UK public love a band waggon to jump on (kicked off by the Princess Di 'outpouring of grief'?)

Hope Brand gets fixed up with a contract that actually pays more than his BBC one.

Chad Sexington

I haven't heard the broadcast and I've only read transcripts of what was said.

Personally, I think phoning a man in his 70's and shouting that one of you has boffed his Granddaughter is pretty low.

To then broadcast that call on national radio is in extremely poor taste.

The BBC should never have let this go on air. And don't forget, this was not a live broadcast.

Someone gave the OK for this to be broadcast after it had presumably been vetted by BBC staff.

It's a case of a producer being too frightened to tell two high earning "stars" that what they were saying was unacceptable.

This whole grubby episode could have been avoided if someone had had the balls to tell two pampered idiots that they were out of order.

FWIW...I'm not a Daily Mail reader and think both of the offending idiots are talented....but hopefully this is a jolt to both their massive egos

Jam Tarts 1874
Apparantly Brand has resigned from the BBC.

Thats one of the most entertaining radio shows now gone because the BBC let this whole thing snowball. There were next to no complaints when the show was actually aired!

Fair enough the messages were a bit of order but lets have a bit perspective here. Brand was wrong on this one but his radio show has been consistently excellent and IMO he has got away with far worse in the past simply because the moral outrage brigade have remained unaware - as they should always be!

I have enjoyed listening to both Brand and Ross' shows on Radio 2. I am very surprised that they proceeded with this "phonejacker" type prank. It was very poor judgement and in very poor taste. Brand gets a lot of criticism anyway, but generally his Radio 2 show has been in line with guidlines, unlike Ross who gets away with murder on his Radio 2 show and his BBC 1 show.

These are two outrageous personalities who were always likely to resort to childishness if given the opportunity to do so. Perhaps the biggest culprit here is the BBC producer who allowed this pre-recorded material to go to air.

Frightening how easy it is for the Daily Mail to manipulate the UK public and generate 'moral outrage' - out of context it's easy to work a story with the comments - but listen to the whole programme and the level of 'outrage' doesn't actually match what was broadcast (which was daft but not vile or any of the other emotive words being chucked about).

Elements of the UK public love a band waggon to jump on (kicked off by the Princess Di 'outpouring of grief'?)

Hope Brand gets fixed up with a contract that actually pays more than his BBC one.

I don't like Russell Brand. I find his so-called humour infantile at best and totally unfunny. Jonathan Ross, on the other hand, is a funny guy but has often overstepped the mark. This broadcast was just a step too far. To phone up a 78 year old man and leave the sort of messages they did was unacceptable and, I would suggest, a contravention of the Telecommunications Act. I find it sad that, in the main, younger people should find this sort of behaviour acceptable and funny and it is a sad indictment on how far down morality has gone in this country.

The reason there is so much "moral ourage" as you call it is not because the Daily Mail stirred it up. It is because the victim was a 78 year old man, much loved and remembered for his role as Manuel. He was genuinely funny and never had to resort to the cheap and tatty behaviour of Ross and Brand. In fact he will be remembered long after those two so-called stars have been long forgotten.

I'm pleased that, at long last, the general public has had enough and maybe the BBC, who I have long admired, will now go back to what it was set up for in the first place, that is informative and quality broadcasting.

I admit I didn't hear the programme, possibly the rest of it was funny, but the part which is the subject of the complaints was definitely not and, even if it was taken as a whole with the rest of the broadcast, was unacceptable.

How would anyone, particularly those trying to defend them, feel if someone phoned them up and left messages about their granddaughter, or daughter, on the answering machine, and then broadcast it nationwide? I cannot see any of them finding it remotely funny and they would be outraged as was the Sachs family.

I don't think I'm a prude but I found the behaviour of Brand and Ross appalling, and I disagree with you that what was said was not "vile". It was and I hope that Ross soon follows Brand out the door.

Having read back what I've just written I now realise why my family and friends call me "Victor"!

Out of all the people that are "outraged" or just ****ed off about it - Who has honestly heard the whole thing?

2 people complained after the show aired! Two ffs!! The Daily Mail, who have a long running campaign against Brand, get involved and a further 17,998 and rising complain! Kind of tells a story in itself.

I predict Brand will get a big contract with Channel 4 (the hilarious Ponderland starts soon :P) Gives him even more coverage and he is already well on his way to breaking America! This won't do him any harm in the long run!

I can't wait to see him live in february! :P

Archived