London City Airport

red21

Been to this airport a couple of time over the past few weeks - landings and take off are an experience - anyone else had the excitement/fear of using it recently?

Randle P McMurphy

Used it a couple of times didnt find it too bad. My main problem was the Air France propellor aircraft I was on, maybe just me but I dont like to see the rotors going around, reminds me of how vulnerable you are up there.

The departure lounge is also a bit of a nightmare, all their flights seem to leave around the same time. Bar is extortionate too.

Flying from there tomorrow night :)

Always found it to be one of the better London Airports to be honest. Fairly quick to get through security, not too busy, no hassle. Being a poor student I don't normally go into the restaurants or bars though.

What exactly did you find scary/exciting about the take-off? I've never really noticed any difference to anywhere else, except you get a nice view of London from the sky.

Great little airport and one of the best for landings i think. perfect for the excel centre and the dome/o2 arena.Rubbish and expensive bar though as somebody else said.

Had a shocker landing there once.

Pilot pulled out of landing as we were about to touch down. The noise and shaking as the aircraft gained height was pretty scary.

We were diverted to Stanstead.

I think the runway at London City is maybe shorter than normal.

Never had a problem there but for scary take off Leeds Bradford used to top it when youtook off over the valley bit like haveing the runway at the top of Arthur's seat if you ask me

Had a shocker landing there once.

Pilot pulled out of landing as we were about to touch down. The noise and shaking as the aircraft gained height was pretty scary.

We were diverted to Stanstead.

I think the runway at London City is maybe shorter than normal.

If they don't land early enough and get the reverse thrusters going fast enough you'll land in the drink.

But it is the most passenger friendly airport, generally.

I have used it many times and is far easier, quicker and manageable than any of the other bigger areas. I flew in and out when working at Canary Warf, and many times I arrived with about 30mins before take off and still managed to get on the flight. Easy!

Only problem was 5pm in the bar, it was about 6 deep at every angle. No much fun when you really fancy a beer!!

Geoff Kilpatrick

Used it a lot last year. Never had any issues and it's far, far better than Heathrow!

Always found the flights generally more punctual than the other main London airports. The bar prices are extortionate! Had a pint once and then asked for a half-pint which was priced at 10p more than 50% of the price of the pint! Company policy I was told.

Guest GhostHunter

Landing at Cardiff Airport is enough to cause that "shrinking feeling"....

I swear I could see the mackerel laughing and pointing as we came into land....

Used it a number of times. You get a great view from the plane and when you land you are right in the mix straight off. No *****ing about trying to get into London. It's ideal for me because I tend to stay in Beckton so I can hop straight off and jump on the DLR.

Scatsta and Sumburgh in Shetland:eek: Worst ever Heraklion in Crete:eek:

I've heard pilots aren't too keen on Sumburgh.

Don't know if it's the sea at either end of E-W runway or the bloody big hill on the NW one. Or the wind necessitating sideways landings.

I used London City all the time when I worked down there in 2006 and 2007. Still tend to use City Airport when I make occasionall work trips down to London village now.

It's a shorter runway, so the acceleration on take off and deceleration on landing are more dramtic. The approach from the west over Canary Wharf is wicked, especially on a cloudy or foggy day.

The true fear factor comes at take off on a fully loaded Scot Airways flight, wondering if the wee shuddering prop plane will ever get up enough speed to take off!

Been to this airport a couple of time over the past few weeks - landings and take off are an experience - anyone else had the excitement/fear of using it recently?

I've used it hundreds of times. The take-offs and landings are no big deal. ?7 for a glass of wine in the bar most certainly is. Why can't BA put a lounge in there for us Exec Club members now the airport's expanded. :mad:

Landed there once on a foggy day - overhead lockers opening, laptops all over the place and a scream or two some female passengers - Scot Airways twin propeller.

On a return trip - maybe British Midland - cabin crew announced that as 6 passengers hadn't turned up, the plane was light enough to do an inboard meal. So if they had turned up, the additional 140 chesse and tomato sandwiches would have resulted the plane not taking off in time and landing in the drink.

Been on Eastern Airways to Norwich, 18 seater when a rather large chap was asked to swap seats to balance the plane for take off.

Also, a guy I worked with had a scary experience on a return EasyJet flight to Edinburgh from Amsterdam. Under carriage/wheels out light hadn't gone on, and due to the low Air Control Tower at the time, they couldn't make out if the wheels were out using binoculaurs. The plane did an about turn to Amsterdam, fliying along the East Coast at 2000 feet, where Amsterdam Air Traffic Control confirmed everything was ok. Apparently the Edinburgh runway is a touch on the short side for a 'safe' crash landing.

Craig Gordons Gloves
Used it a lot last year. Never had any issues and it's far, far better than Heathrow!

the airport in the middle of the ghanain jungle that was just a shack and grassy is far better than heathrow.

In fact - insert any airport in there - bloody awful place!

Archived