Hibs fans booing during 1 minute applause (merged threads)

lou

Boos directed at the percieved disrespect coming from the Hearts support, rather than aimed at the deceased. The boos were in no way aimed at the late Eddie Thomson, despite the Hearts support on here doing exactly what the Hibs fans did earlier today and unjustly turning it that way, the difference being that it is being done knowingly - i.e. you all know the boos stemmed from confusion. That is the crux of the matter. Your argument wittles down to the fact that the Hibs fans should've waited till after the minute was up to express their displeasure at this percieved disprespect, and this point I have already addressed.

Sweet baby Jesus. The crux of the matter is that nobody should boo during a minutes applause whatever the motivation.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The facts are:

Hearts fans sung One Eddie Thompson

Hibs fans thought we were singing Hearts songs and booed.

It would have been wiser not to boo at all especially when you say you didn't even know what we were singing.

Instead, Hibs fans should have carried on applauding and avoided any of this confusion.

That should really be the end of the discussion. There's nothing to debate as far as I can see.

Spot on.

Its what we have been tryng to tell the hobo since the start of the thread.

Somehow though its just not getting through.

No-ones saying the hobs fans boos were aimed at the applause or Eddie Thompson but the fact the booed at all even though directed at hearts fans is what disgraced them.

Bottom line is they fecked up....they tried to use a situation to get one up on hearts fans and it backfired on them big time, they just made complete plums of themselves and at the end of the day disrespected a mins applause for Eddie Thompson. If any of them had a brain cell and werent so intent on getting one up on their rivals they would have kept it shut until the end.

Doctor FinnBarr
Boos directed at the percieved disrespect coming from the Hearts support, rather than aimed at the deceased. The boos were in no way aimed at the late Eddie Thomson, despite the Hearts support on here doing exactly what the Hibs fans did earlier today and unjustly turning it that way, the difference being that it is being done knowingly - i.e. you all know the boos stemmed from confusion. That is the crux of the matter. Your argument wittles down to the fact that the Hibs fans should've waited till after the minute was up to express their displeasure at this percieved disprespect, and this point I have already addressed.

Can you just feck off back to the "dark side" before I really lose the plot you caravan dwelling piece of kack!

:107years::hobofish::107years::hobofish::107years::hobofish::P

Just a slightly different prespective - I was in the opposite end of the ground from your lot and due to the clapping, I couldnt actually make out what you singing - I wouldnt singing during an applause, as it`s always open to mis-interpretation

Derby Dominance

My experience of them today was worse than ever:-

- songs about Wallace Mercer being dead en route to the game

- songs about Eddie Thomson being dead en route to the game

- booing during minutes applause for Eddie Thomson

For the avoidance of doubt this was not the odd individual; this was large groups. They really are scary and pathetic.

Just a slightly different prespective - I was in the opposite end of the ground from your lot and due to the clapping, I couldnt actually make out what you singing - I wouldnt singing during an applause, as it`s always open to mis-interpretation

booing isn't though.

For the avoidance of doubt this was not the odd individual; this was large groups. They really are scary and pathetic.

No surprise to me , they are ****bags.

portobellojambo1

Think the booing from the Hibs fans today is reasonably easy to sum up. They think we live in a small cocoon and assumed when we were singing "there's only one Eddie Thompson" we were singing about a former Hearts player, probably because they think we are unable to show respect in such matters (the words, pot kettle and black come to mind).

Their reaction actually defies belief, and to try and hide it behind "confusion" is a pile of fecking pish. If what they are hearing is anything other than something sang by that glaikit bunch of knobends The Proclaimers they get confused.

Another who doesnt understand.

Facts Facts

You lot got it wrong and you booed, and whether you think its right or not to chant during an applause it is equally if not more disrespectfull to boo, whether those boos are aimed at opposing fans or not.

booing isn't though.

I agree - but I think Hibs were booing cause you were singing Hearts songs - as I said, you could actually make out what was being sung, just aware that something was being sung

Spot on.

Its what we have been tryng to tell the hobo since the start of the thread.

Somehow though its just not getting through.

No-ones saying the hobs fans boos were aimed at the applause or Eddie Thompson but the fact the booed at all even though directed at hearts fans is what disgraced them.

Bottom line is they fecked up....they tried to use a situation to get one up on hearts fans and it backfired on them big time, they just made complete plums of themselves and at the end of the day disrespected a mins applause for Eddie Thompson. If any of them had a brain cell and werent so intent on getting one up on their rivals they would have kept it shut until the end.

I agree with what was said by the poster in question.

I do not agree, however, with your turning of the matter into the kind of one-upmanship that you claim to deplore by stating that it "disgraced" the Hibs support. It did nothing of the sort, and I'm sure any unbiased Utd supporter would agree.

As the previous poster stated, it would have been wiser for the Hibs support to have waited till after the minute to commence the boos. No disrespect was intended from either support, despite the claims of Hibbys (then) and Jambos (now).

Derby Dominance

it was clear from the Hibs end it was a one Eddie Thomson chant. Next excuse.

I particularly enjoy the Dundee United forum where early doors when they think it was us booing they are going on about how much they have always hated us and we sing 'rule brittania' apparently!

Then when they figure it out they have to backtrack so much its cringeworthy.

to be fair i doubt very much that any Hearts fans though 'we'd better not sing the praises of Eddie Thomson as a tribute in case it gets misinterpretated and the opposition fans start booing.'

Now I could list three points concerning the behaviour of Hearts fans in response to this, but I am trying to veer away from antagonising, and stick to defending against some of the off-mark accusations towards the Hibs support. Tit for tat is immensely boring.

A few people on here could learn a thing or from from that Dundee United messageboard about being level headed. Not jumping to conclusions, not pointing the finger, listening to both sides of the story before making silly accusations.

Everyone in that ground respected Eddie Thompson and to say otherwise, just to try and take the high ground over your rivals is pathetic point scoring.

The noise from the clapping in the Hibs end drowned out the Hearts end, so nobody knew what you were singing. To me, it did look like you were disrespecting the tribute - the Hearts end looked like it was bouncing and a lot of singing looked like it was directed at the East Stand - so it was easy to assume it was a Hearts song.

Congratulations on a fitting tribute to the man though.

The Dundee Utd fans seem to be genuinely touched by the Hearts fans singing this and regonising the passing of a true football man, seems to be only the Hibs fans who have a problem with it.

I agree with what was said by the poster in question.

I do not agree, however, with your turning of the matter into the kind of one-upmanship that you claim to deplore by stating that it "disgraced" the Hibs support. It did nothing of the sort, and I'm sure any unbiased Utd supporter would agree.

As the previous poster stated, it would have been wiser for the Hibs support to have waited till after the minute to commence the boos. No disrespect was intended from either support, despite the claims of Hibbys (then) and Jambos (now).

I also agree with that. The point of doing the One Eddie Thompson chant is not to come online later in the day and go on about how great we all are for chanting it. It is to show respect to a man who has died.

If you really want to make a good gesture like that particular chant then you should not feel the need to use it as a reason for us being great fans and for point scoring over the Hibs support.

Derby Dominance
Now I could list three points concerning the behaviour of Hearts fans in response to this, but I am trying to veer away from antagonising, and stick to defending against some of the off-mark accusations towards the Hibs support. Tit for tat is immensely boring.

I presume you were one of the offending chanters. No tit for tat here. Just stating the facts.

I agree - but I think Hibs were booing cause you were singing Hearts songs - as I said, you could actually make out what was being sung, just aware that something was being sung

the motivation behind the booing does not matter, it was a very disrespectful thing to do in such a circumstance.

By your apparent defence, if you were unsure what a Minister was saying during somebody's funeral it would be justifiable to start booing.

I'll put my neck on the line and say you are a liar.

I doubt that for one second.

It appears that the Utd fans are giving the Hobos the benefit of the doubt and accept that it was down to confusion.

They obviously don't know the Lochend cockends like we do.

the motivation behind the booing does not matter, it was a very disrespectful thing to do in such a circumstance.

By your apparent defence, if you were unsure what a Minister was saying during somebody's funeral it would be justifiable to start booing.

What a rediculous analogy. It was a football game, and a city derby. Not a church. It bears no comparison.

What a rediculous analogy. It was a football game, and a city derby. Not a church. It bears no comparison.

no it's not, it was an example of the defence you've put forward in a different situation, specifically picked to highlight the idiocy of the argument you've put forward repeatedly on this thread.

I feel this discussion does not need to be dragged out any further. Rather than post again, I would urge any feeling the need to post to go back through the thread and read my posts to understand my argument here.

Derby Dominance
I'll put my neck on the line and say you are a liar.

I doubt that for one second.

No I am NOT a liar. It happened. A big group sang it after the Mercer song and lots of Hobos sniggered. Pathetic.

It does not matter one single bit about us singing the tribute to Eddie Thompson and the hobos claming "Confusion"

Even IF the Hearts support had been disrespecting the minutes applause by singing hearts songs (Which we werent as you know) it would still have been Wrong and disrespectfull for those hobos to boo during the applause, even though aimed at the Hearts fans.

The very Fact we sang a tribute makes their booing even worse, and its just pure excuses saying they were confused, or didnt hear what was being sung, at end of day it dont matter what the hobos thought was being sung they should not have booed.

I feel this discussion does not need to be dragged out any further. Rather than post again, I would urge any feeling the need to post to go back through the thread and read my posts to understand my argument here.

We have read your posts, and we think they're bollocks.

What don't you understand about that ?

portobellojambo1
We have read your posts, and we think they're bollocks.

What don't you understand about that ?

Think about it hard Le Chat, if 3,800 people were clapping and singing "there is only one Eddie Thompson" at the same time, and you were amongst a group of people (I use the term in its loosest possible sense) a few yards away also clapping it would be very easy if you had a pathological dislike for those singing to assume they were singing a bog standard club football song, therefore boo.

Bunch of erseholes, the lot of them.

I find it very difficult to comprehend why this has gone to x number of pages and why we continue to tolerate the number of vermin on here.

From my vantage point of an armchair(!) I clearly heard the 'Eddie Thompson' chant, pretty sure I would've heard it if I was a few yards away and would not have responded with derision.

Of course, I'm awaiting the 'But you sung 'Hello, hello' etc etc'.

I'm not in favour of the mass bannings that they have over at .net but I do think there should be times where moderators should step in and say "Right Hobos, no more posting on this thread, we're tired of your pish".

The last 4 pages is a perfect example of when this should happen.

We showed appreciation to a man who was a proper football man. Hibernians response was one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard. Really really sickening. Well done Hibs. Once again you've done your club proud.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Well done Hearts fans. Classy and dignified as always.

Hibs fans? Edinburghs shame once again. Disgrace.

Guest juvehearts

How on earth anyone watching satain tv didnt hear the hearts fans singing ''one eddy thompson'' is beyond belief.

ffs i was in robbo's & still managed to hear the chant above everyone else in robbos chanting his name for a minute.

end of the day, a good football man has died & IMO it was a nice touch from the gorgie faithful.

rivaly has f'all to do with this & the booing from the home croud just sums up Hibernian football club perfectly.

a group of interbreeding homo's who dont know who if their mum is their auntie/sister or granny.

This is one example of the many things that make me so proud of this club. It was an appropriate gesture and a genuine one too. Well done Jambos. :)

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest that the hibbies were a little confused, it's pretty standard for them. But I am surprised that any right thinking person would try to defend what they did. They made arses of themselves and in pretty typical 'style', the prospect of having something anti-Hearts to focus on was clearly so overwhelming that they couldn't contain themselves. Not even during something as important as a tribute to someone who has recently died.

No amount of whinging about 'confusion' will allow them to wriggle out of it either. They should quit bitching about everyone else and concentrate on their own affairs for a while, that might help focus the mind and prevent against any similarly embarrassing incidents in future. A lesson learned for the hobos, perhaps.

Fine Scottish Wine
It wasn't a lack of respect at all. Hibs fans booed the Hearts support for singing during the minute's silence (or applause, as is the fashion these days), and it wasn't clear that it wasn't actually hearts songs being sung.

No point in getting righteous about it, it was all down to confusion. Cue petty responses about "hobos" being stupid, but it was all down to confusion.

Get off your high horses.

I can understand that as Hibs fans are born confused, but it does seem strange that they can hear (or claim to hear) every minor chant that comes from the Hearts end word for word but fail to hear a clear chant during an applause.

Miss heard or not booing during a minutes respect for whatever reason is slightly strange to say the least, could they not wait 20 seconds and boo after.

Whle underneath the stand it was very very obvious that Hearts were singing 1 Eddie Thompson.

As for Hibs fans I can not comment as heard hee haw from then all afternoon

Once again, the hibernian fans prove themselves to be lowlife, [modedit]

Utter trash of a support, and it sickens me that we have to share a city with them.

Maybe they can prove us wrong by having another fat clown who cares for a disabled person to run on the pitch to smack the ref. Or perhaps chuck a coin at their own player. Or indulge in "casual racism".

Utterly disgusting reptiles.

Once again, the hibernian fans prove themselves to be lowlife, [modedit]

Utter trash of a support, and it sickens me that we have to share a city with them.

Maybe they can prove us wrong by having another fat clown who cares for a disabled person to run on the pitch to smack the ref. Or perhaps chuck a coin at their own player. Or indulge in "casual racism".

Utterly disgusting reptiles.

Or indeed racist casualism.

I'm merely explaining my take on this afternoon's happenings. Is that ok? I've not been antagonistic at all in my defence of the Hibs support, and I certainly could have been given the behaviour of some of the away supporters today. There are idiots on both sides though, and I accept this, rather than going on an internet forums searching for the moral high ground.

And to to others; I am indeed a Hibs supporter. I was standing in section 42 in the East Stand, second section away from the South Stand. It was not clear, even from there, what the Hearts support were singing.

But let's boo anyway ?

Should've just played the Proclaimers ?

Wot a joke of an excuse.

Think we were singing anti Eddie Thompson songs.

Disgusting, we were praising a good man and those idiots boo-ed.

Seriously that lot deserve to be put down, boo-ing us for giving a great football man a good send off.

Anyway, "One Eddie Thompson".

FTH.

Assuming this was a case of an misunderstanding it is being posted on Hibs.Net this is due to our reputation:eek::eek:

Where does this nonsense come from. How can they possibly accuse us of this when yesterday they took part in the following

1) They sang the lovely "EDINBURGH SONG"

2) The Wallace Mercer song

3) Rudi Skacel song

4) The new "not racist" Larry Kingston song

5) They booed the applause

6) They smashed the windows of a Hearts supporters bus.

But hey we had a few UJ's and sand Hello hello (once), so I guess that makes us the bad guys:sad::sad:

But hey we had a few UJ's and sand Hello hello (once), so I guess that makes us the bad guys:sad::sad:

Correct. We're the 5cum of the earth so we are :rolleyes:

I think that it is time to return to a minute's silence to show respect.

The minute of applause does not feel right as a mark of respect.

Seymour M Hersh
I can understand that as Hibs fans are born confused, but it does seem strange that they can hear (or claim to hear) every minor chant that comes from the Hearts end word for word but fail to hear a clear chant during an applause.

Miss heard or not booing during a minutes respect for whatever reason is slightly strange to say the least, could they not wait 20 seconds and boo after.

Their hearing only works selectively and when it's suits their anti-HMFC agenda which in my opinion goes way, way beyond normal football rivalry. Such is their collective pathological hatred of our club that they cannot help themselves distorting the truth or just making up negative lies about HMFC. They are lower than a snakes belly the lot of them.

FTH :107years:

sorry in advance guys and girls but cant be ersed going through all these posts so only read first page. keep me up to speed please if I missed anything.

here is my take and I was in the section of the hearts support where the chanting started from. I thought it was a bit strange at first but then as it got louder realised it was a tribute to a great man who did the best for his club so joined in as did all around me. I did not realise the nobos booed but I genuinely believe there was a bit confusion and they possibly didnt hearwhat was being sung. A minutes applause is a new way of doing it as there is sometimes a doughnut that disturbs the silence but I do think at these games 99.999% of people are respectful and normally it is self policed. side issue but I remember the guy who started singing a rude little ditty after Princess Margaret died ( the Gorgie stand) and he lasted about a nano second.

Will check ther rest of the thread now but I am worried that the press and Dundee united in general think we were disrespecful and that we as usual will be tarred. IMO this was not the case but like another poster mentioned I did consider after it if the original chanter used this in reference to our former player but think all the people who joined in certainly did not have this agenda. I was actually proud of us at the time.

Guest Dipped Flake

Wasn't at the game but watched it on setanta. When I first heard the signing I thought ' Oh God what the **** are they singing about'. After a few seconds it was clearly 'One Eddie Thomson' and thought it was a great idea to sing this. Also then heard the booing and I must admit, at that time I wondered if one lot were booing because the other lot were singing (no way of knowing who was singing/booing). Suppose what I am saying is that it is very likely that the hobos were booing because they thought we were singing a Hearts song.

Sure the Celtic fans sang "Tommy Burns Tommy Burns Tommy Burns" during their minutes applause for his death

What a load of disrespectful ***** they were obviously...

Alan Ball also got chants during the applause for him down south....

Boooooooo, should be banned for life

As an aside, surely if you are "confused" during a mark of respect for somebody, you dont react until after that respect has concluded?

Archived