Robbie Neilson - Best defender at the club?

Martin_T

It's probably an understatement to say that there are a fair few on this forum who think that the title of this thread is absolutely nuts, but given the amount of goals we have been conceding this season, is there perhaps now an appreciation that Robbie (for all his faults) makes our defence a lot more solid?

No one is claiming that Neilson is Cafu going forward, however as a defender I've always felt he is very effective. I think it has been glaringingly apparent that we are short on committed and experienced players at the moment and Neilson's return from injury would provide us with more of both.

It might be stretching things slightly by saying he's the best defender but he's certainly the best right back IMO.

It's probably an understatement to say that there are a fair few on this forum who think that the title of this thread is absolutely nuts, but given the amount of goals we have been conceding this season, is there perhaps now an appreciation that Robbie (for all his faults) makes our defence a lot more solid?

No one is claiming that Neilson is Cafu going forward, however as a defender I've always felt he is very effective. I think it has been glaringingly apparent that we are short on committed and experienced players at the moment and Neilson's return from injury would provide us with more of both.

Couldnt agree with you more. I happen to think he is a very under rated performer. I like him and like his effort.

Before we get into his abilty, firstly unlike Zal, Berra, Wallace, etc when the game is not going our way you can not expect a drop in form from Robbie. He does't give up. A prime example of this was the 3-1 Dundee unt game at tynie last season, where for about 40 mins he was our main attacking threat:eek:

In defence he is fairly solid. He played, i think, 33 games last season, and i struggle to think of more than a handleful of goals he cost us. Not sure if he is the best, but he's definatly up there.

A whole new defence is needed, Thomson's not good enough and will slide down the the leagues as his carreer develops, Neilson will need some competition for right-back because he's not the greatest (bring Maybury in, he's training with Hearts at the moment and isn't contracted to any club) , Berra, at best is a decent squad player and no more than that, he should also have Karipidis playing alongside him. I've never rated Zaliukas, he's just not composed enough for our league and constantly makes mistakes, his concentration in defensive situations is a worry, opposition players know how to work him. As for Wallace....a left-back is a must, he loses the ball so often people expect it from him now, Aberdeen got Charlie Mulgrew for around ?80,000, why didn't we go for him? Stevie Hammell is another solid enough player at left-back and we should've signed him, the scouting system at Hearts is a complete joke, they wouldn't know a decent player if they saw one.

it shows how bad we really are. in all honesty neilsons gash

I took advice from your signature, thought for a second, and still decided that your post is totally inaccurate.

IMO, Neilson's big FAILING is his defending, he fails to deal with any wide player that has a go at him.

For reference, before someone replies, I know he made a good tackle once in a cup final, I know he scored once in Europe and I know he can throw the ball a long way. He is still awful.

Christophe Berra is the best (only) decent defender at the club.

I took advice from your signature, thought for a second, and still decided that your post is totally inaccurate.

IMO, Neilson's big FAILING is his defending, he fails to deal with any wide player that has a go at him.

For reference, before someone replies, I know he made a good tackle once in a cup final, I know he scored once in Europe and I know he can throw the ball a long way. He is still awful.

I was saying as much yesterday, however it is a sad reflection on the current imposters that we are crying out for the return of Neilson!

portobellojambo1

If it has come down to a situation where we are depending on Neilson coming back into the side to get us back on track our problems are possibly more deep rooted than we realised. Neilson is poorer than either Jonsson or Thomson, so his coming back into the team is not going to strengthen it, we don't need experienced players to get back on track, we need good players.

If it has come down to a situation where we are depending on Neilson coming back into the side to get us back on track our problems are possibly more deep rooted than we realised. Neilson is poorer than either Jonsson or Thomson, so his coming back into the team is not going to strengthen it, we don't need experienced players to get back on track, we need good players.

spot on

Do we miss Robbie? On yesterdays show, no doubt we did.

That said, when he comes back, have no doubt most of us willl be on the board moaning about how ****e he actually is.

Imagine missing Robbie eh?

Much better than his minnie me in Thompson.

imo berras problem is hes captain, take it away and give to stewart, and he will grow into a world class defender, when robbies fit play him and berra as central defenders and thompson and wallace as full backs.

Ray Winstone

If it has come to the stage where Robbie Neilson is being touted as the best defender at the club and that him coming into the team will improve things then it really does show how desperate times have become.

Charlie-Brown

Not the best right back (eggert jonsson & johnny brown & craig thomson are better), not the best defender (berra & jonsson & zaliukas & mcgowan & balatoni are better)

If Neilson never plays for us again I'm not bothered in the slightest.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Each and every one of them are crap.

Best of a bad bunch? Karipidis and he is playing in fecking midfield.

imo berras problem is hes captain, take it away and give to stewart, and he will grow into a world class defender, when robbies fit play him and berra as central defenders and thompson and wallace as full backs.

LOL

Sorry, Berra and world class defender in the same.......

Charlie-Brown

How many goals have we lost from right back position this season? any?

Most of the goals we concede are counter-attacks, set pieces or stupid errors from Lee Wallace.

How many goals have we lost from right back position this season? any?

Most of the goals we concede are counter-attacks, set pieces or stupid errors from Lee Wallace.

Thats actually a fair shout.

When we had Takis at LB, teams looked towards Robbie and the RB position.

Crikey, imagine teams switching away from the RB position to attack yourself?

Hang your head in shame young Wallace.

:sad:

Neilson is a good enough defender for a bottom 6 side who contributes nothing in an attacking sense.

Saying that, we look like a bottom 6 side, so he should be playing. If we had any ambition of becoming a decent side, Neilson isn't good enough.

Neilson is a good enough defender for a bottom 6 side who contributes nothing in an attacking sense.

Saying that, we look like a bottom 6 side, so he should be playing. If we had any ambition of becoming a decent side, Neilson isn't good enough.

I'd say he's not good enough, even for a bottom 6 side.

More like a 1st Division side.

I'd say he's not good enough, even for a bottom 6 side.

More like a 1st Division side.

Inverness, St Mirren and Hamilton are made of hard working pro's who know their ability and play to it. Neilson would get in to those 3 sides easily.

He's a grafter who gives you his all, it's just for a team wanting to play in Europe, his all isn't good enough.

Inverness, St Mirren and Hamilton are made of hard working pro's who know their ability and play to it. Neilson would get in to those 3 sides easily.

He's a grafter who gives you his all, it's just for a team wanting to play in Europe, his all isn't good enough.

Sorry Sean, for some reason I thought you were talking about Lee Wallace.

Robbie is a decent SPL player and any of those teams would probably be glad to get him.

Sorry Sean, for some reason I thought you were talking about Lee Wallace.

Robbie is a decent SPL player and any of those teams would probably be glad to get him.

Not to worry. For what it's worth on Wallace, I think he needs a fresh start at another club who can assess his potential and his abilities, then decide what his best position it would be. We don't have any one at the club with that vision and he's been stuck at left back where he doesn't cut it.

LOL

Sorry, Berra and world class defender in the same.......

correct world class defender, i.m.o. will move to the epl in the summer for about 4or 5 million and will captain his country one day.

problem is at tynie the management backroom staff and several jkb people, would not know a fitba player, if they fell over them.

Classic Wallace yesterday...

Taking a throw in, throws it with serious pace at Stewart's chest area (when Stewart was in space) - ball bounces off Stewart and goes out for a throw in to Killie.

Stewart then (quite rightly) asks wallace WTF he is doing and can he not throw the ball to his feet.

What do they do up at Riccarton?

It seems pretty basic stuff to me.

Arnold Rothstein
correct world class defender, i.m.o. will move to the epl in the summer for about 4or 5 million and will captain his country one day.

problem is at tynie the management backroom staff and several jkb people, would not know a fitba player, if they fell over them.

Please tell me you are joking? 4 or 5 million???? If anyone offered 2 i'd drive him there myself

Have a word

Deluded.

Seriously deluded.

Please tell me you are joking? 4 or 5 million???? If anyone offered 2 i'd drive him there myself

Have a word

2 million eh ?

we turned down a bid off 3 million from a championship side in the summer.

hes worth 4-5 million easy

2 million eh ?

we turned down a bid if 3 million from a championship side in the summer.

No we didn't.

He's really, really not.

Arnold Rothstein
2 million eh ?

we turned down a bid off 3 million from a championship side in the summer.

Christophe Berra is an average defender and would get ripped a new one by anyone in the EPL (even Dean Windass).

On what evidence is he worth anything near ?4-5m?

Ryan Gosling

We're leaking so many goals that putting Rapnik, Brown, McGowan etc. in at the moment wouldn't even be a risk.

We're leaking so many goals that putting Rapnik, Brown, McGowan etc. in at the moment wouldn't even be a risk.

They really could not do any worse.

portobellojambo1
Not to worry. For what it's worth on Wallace, I think he needs a fresh start at another club who can assess his potential and his abilities, then decide what his best position it would be. We don't have any one at the club with that vision and he's been stuck at left back where he doesn't cut it.

Re. Lee Wallace I would agree with that Sean. Left back is not his position, and we are wasting him as a player. The first time Wallace really came to my eye was in the pre season friendly we played back in 2005, versus Hull City away,where he played more a left sided/midfield role.

I had seen him play before but never really paid a lot of attention.

As I sat watching the game I thought to myself "what a really composed player for a young laddie, he is definitely going to go places with us in the future".

3 years on and he is struggling big time. He needs revitalised at Hearts (whether or not we have the people to do it I do not know) or as you say he might be best to move on and get his career back on track.

Christophe Berra is an average defender and would get ripped a new one by anyone in the EPL (even Dean Windass).

On what evidence is he worth anything near ?4-5m?

evidence thats easy, hes been our star defender all season, giving the correct coaching [which we dont have at tynie] he will become world class :)

Arnold Rothstein
evidence thats easy, hes been our star defender all season, giving the correct coaching [which we dont have at tynie] he will become world class :)

We've not had one. Being a team's star defender does not suddenly make you worth that kind of cash. Especially hearts!

He's worth about as much as Kirk Broadfoot. Not kidding

Behave Christophe.

You are worth about 500k. No better than Diamond, Jones, McManus, etc etc.

Re. Lee Wallace I would agree with that Sean. Left back is not his position, and we are wasting him as a player. The first time Wallace really came to my eye was in the pre season friendly we played back in 2005, versus Hull City away,where he played more a left sided/midfield role.

I had seen him play before but never really paid a lot of attention.

As I sat watching the game I thought to myself "what a really composed player for a young laddie, he is definitely going to go places with us in the future".

3 years on and he is struggling big time. He needs revitalised at Hearts (whether or not we have the people to do it I do not know) or as you say he might be best to move on and get his career back on track.

He has a lot of ability, we've seen it all before. He's just being hung out to dry at left back where he isn't suited.

It takes some one with a completely fresh look at him to decide where he will prosper. Obviously the person has to have managerial experience and an eye for qualities in a player. It's safe to say no one at Tynecastle has that, or are being allowed to show it.

If I was Lee Wallace, I'd be looking to move on soon.

letsmakesomenoise

I agree with you, no doubt about it.

The eejits we currently have are pesh compared to Robbie. Maybe not in an attacking sense, but definitely at the back.

Archived