Best Chippie In Edinburgh?

Simo

For some reason been craving a chippie all day and think I've earned one after sitting through that rubbish earlier ... anyway does anyone have any recomendations for great chippies as the local is pretty poor!?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For some reason been craving a chippie all day and think I've earned one after sitting through that rubbish earlier ... anyway does anyone have any recomendations for great chippies as the local is pretty poor!?

Your up the duff if your craving food;)

chippie at longstone, opposite longstone hearts:)

tailend fish bar on leith walk is terrific & i'm very fond of the disco chippie, the piccante, on broughton street.

not a huge lover of chippies, but if i ever get the yen, its one of those 2

Can't believe The Gorgie Fry hasn't had a mention, also the deep sea at the top of the walk. The winner by a million miles of course is L'alba D'oro

chester copperpot
giovannis at northfield broadway

Amen to that. BBQ is also good at Glasgow road.

FRANCOS chippie stockbridge

pm me fracos and I'll give you my address for free chippies

Don't think big Frank will be on this website considering he's a Hibby. Does a cracking puddin' supper though.

Don't think big Frank will be on this website considering he's a Hibby. Does a cracking puddin' supper though.

Big fan of his sea food risotto

As a few have already said, got to be the BBQ.

Looking forward to my first Fish Supper in 8 months already. 6 weeks and counting!!

Ray Winstone

Franco does not run the chippy anyway.

And he is not a real hibby.

Post match I always favoured 'The Gorgie' on Gorgie Road and dining al fresco beneath the spire of Gorgie Parish Kirk. However, my taste buds had already been devastated by the rot which passed as beer in the Tynecastle Arms, so my assessment could be as clouded as the aforementioned drink.

francos is crap anyway. l'quila, l'alba doro and jubillee are all better.

francos is crap anyway. l'quila, l'alba doro and jubillee are all better.

The wifey from l'quila, l'alba is better, agreed, the chippie... just cant see it.

Amen to that. BBQ is also good at Glasgow road.

Meant to say to you, mate...

Went to Samsun's last night after a night out, as opposed to Top Kapi, and it didn't dissappoint. Apologies for doubting your judgement a wee while back, but i think it's better than TK.

Has to be the BBQ in corstorphine supplied my school dinners when i was Craigmount. take that jamie oliver

Ray Winstone

Just for the record, the Ashvale aside, Aberdeen possibly has the worst chippys in Scotland.

Edinburgh isn't the 'be all and end all', Pia's in Bonnyrigg is the best in the Lothians. :cool:

Aye, its decent. As is Pia's 2. No idea how they came up with that name though.

Ali's at Stenhouse does a cracking pizza.

Just for the record, the Ashvale aside, Aberdeen possibly has the worst chippys in Scotland.

Joking,never visted dave's chippy in Torry?..quality,even if you cant understand what there saying.

Mark_Mywords
The winner by a million miles of course is L'alba D'oro

I like both the L'alba D'oro and the Tailend. When it comes to fish, the Tailend's fish is the best. I would highly recommend the battered Hake or an Abroath Smokie. I love the Haggis and Chicken from L'alba D'oro also.

:)

chester copperpot
Meant to say to you, mate...

Went to Samsun's last night after a night out, as opposed to Top Kapi, and it didn't dissappoint. Apologies for doubting your judgement a wee while back, but i think it's better than TK.

Told ye.

Miles better, although TK is pretty good too.

chester copperpot
Spot on

My mate came out with immortal words one night.

'Deep sea crumbly, Gio's Crispy'

Gio's is a class chippy, I aint had one close to it, and I only went there when i stayed at my mum's over 10 years ago.

My mate came out with immortal words one night.

'Deep sea crumbly, Gio's Crispy'

Gio's is a class chippy, I aint had one close to it, and I only went there when i stayed at my mum's over 10 years ago.

Same. Grew up in Meadowbank and Meadowfield and we would regularly go past the one at Jock's Lodge ( Delmontes?? ) to get Gio's superior fare. More than 10 years ago though :eek:

I love this thread - it keeps changing, which is awesome - it's been a few years, but may I suggest the Peacock? The flippin' gigantic man-size fish supper thingy - the crispy batter on the fish is magic - I dinnae care if it's bad for ye, I want it! Yes, I am talking about the food as well!:cool:

He is. Many years ago we had a cracking debate whether or not a John Collins goal against us was right to be disallowed (0-0 August '88 game at Easter Road).

Even with the promise of extra broon sauce and another white pudding, I stood firm (under severe temptation I can tell you).

I take it he's delegated the chippy to one of the family? Does he still have that restaurant/bistro on the go?

Balgreen Fryer.

Cheapest too. Everywhere I've went in the past its been over ?3 for a king rib supper but its only ?2.60 there.

Can't believe The Gorgie Fry hasn't had a mention, also the deep sea at the top of the walk. The winner by a million miles of course is L'alba D'oro

You, sir, are a man of taste and distinction. L'alba d'oro is indeed the finest chip shop in Edinburgh.

Billy the Jambo
chippie at longstone, opposite longstone hearts:)

You are having a laugh that place is fecking minging

You are having a laugh that place is fecking minging

chips were okay the last time i got them about a year ago:rolleyes:

although i have had kebabs from there when in Edinburgh and they are fab:p

Ray Winstone
He is. Many years ago we had a cracking debate whether or not a John Collins goal against us was right to be disallowed (0-0 August '88 game at Easter Road).

Even with the promise of extra broon sauce and another white pudding, I stood firm (under severe temptation I can tell you).

I take it he's delegated the chippy to one of the family? Does he still have that restaurant/bistro on the go?

He certainly is not what you would call a 'Hibee' in my opinion (and I know him quite well) but he will argue over pretty much anything.

The chippy has always been run by his brother (Nino) and Nino's son Vincenzo.

Franco runs the resteraunt and bistro next door (San Marco)

The chippy is only called Francos because that is the Fathers name.

You, sir, are a man of taste and distinction. L'alba d'oro is indeed the finest chip shop in Edinburgh.

Oh my giddy aunt!!

He certainly is not what you would call a 'Hibee' in my opinion (and I know him quite well) but he will argue over pretty much anything.

The chippy has always been run by his brother (Nino) and Nino's son Vincenzo.

Franco runs the resteraunt and bistro next door (San Marco)

The chippy is only called Francos because that is the Fathers name.

He must have seen the light at last!!! :) Admittedly it has been a few years since my last visit to Comely Bank as the family have all left the area. Given that I grew up in England, a proper puddin' supper was very much anticpated when we would go back to Edinburgh to visit the relatives and Franco's always hit the spot.

You've obviously never met him. :eek:

As for the Peacock, great shout but it's not a "chippy". And the meal that's referried to is the "whale". Two "man size" portions of haddock. Tremendous.

jambo walesy

Gino's in Longstone.

Balgreen Fryer.

A bit further out the "Rex Cafe" in Motherwell does a barry half pizza supper.

jambos are go!

The recently opned Tailend on Leith Walk is head and shoulders above any any other traditional chippie in Edinburgh. It's raised the bar and has to be tried before you decide IMO.

Moving away from traditional Chippies I had tremendous Haddock, Mushy peas and Chips at the Loch Fine Restaurant at Newhaven last week. Normally only available on a Tuesday but presently on the lunch time specials. Two courses, good bread and butter and a glass of wine for ?11. Outstanding.

Archived