Best Chippie In Edinburgh?

Simo

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Francos in Sciennes (their hand cut chips are awesome) and Concorde in Tollcross.

Not been for a few years though :(

The People's Chimp
Just for the record, the Ashvale aside, Aberdeen possibly has the worst chippys in Scotland.

the bluebird is alright.

The ashvale is over rated. a pizza supper from there comes in batter! :eek:as for glasgow, lots of them are keich; they fry at a lower temperature as the weegies like their food soft, greasy and flabby, much like their women.

and they hardly sell white puddings.

heartgarfunkel
giovannis at northfield broadway

The capo de tutti capo of Edinburgh chippies (hate the way Aberdonians call them 'chippers' - ****ing weirdos)

Isaac Begbie
st andrews in portobely the best!:107years:

A decent shout there. I stay roughly somewhere between the St Andrews and Giovannis and would go for Gios, the fish and homemade steak pies are superb.

Just for the record, the Ashvale aside, Aberdeen possibly has the worst chippys in Scotland.

I didnt even think the Ashvale was all that. the chippys up there are truely awful, very bad 2 years chip shop wise when I was living up there.

Marmaris on the other hand took some beating as a Kebab shop.

Commander Harris

got a chippy from the l'alba doro tonight, always top notch - particularly the chips.

Tis probably my favourite but Franco's and L'quila bianca are both very good too.

You've obviously never met him. :eek:

As for the Peacock, great shout but it's not a "chippy". And the meal that's referried to is the "whale". Two "man size" portions of haddock. Tremendous.

How very dare you

Buffalo Bill

The BBQ on Glasgow Road as mentioned by several on this thread.

The proof is in the fact that people are happy to wait in a queue that goes way out the door.

Awesome chippy.

Buffalo Bill

Kalamazoo Jambo

76 days and counting until my next Edinburgh chippy :)

Never been to the BBQ but will have to give it a try when I'm back in town.

No chippies in Kalamazoo then? :)

Of course, you are correct, Sir - the Peacock is not actually a "Chippie", but it does do one of the best fish suppers I've had in my 37 years on this planet - I appreciate the correction!:cool:

you're talking through yer arse.

Gio's is a fantastic chippy.

When I went the chps were soggy ad the sausage was rank.

Fryers Delight up at Gracemount is my favourite chippie

tommythejambo
giovannis at northfield broadway

Has it's moments but wouldn't recoomend it.

Does a mean kebab though.

Guest juvehearts
You've obviously never met him. :eek:

As for the Peacock, great shout but it's not a "chippy". And the meal that's referried to is the "whale". Two "man size" portions of haddock. Tremendous.

Without a shaddow of a doubt THE place to go for haddock in Edinburgh,

just a pitty is down the docks at newhaven

Without a shaddow of a doubt THE place to go for haddock in Edinburgh,

just a pitty is down the docks at newhaven

Hey! We Bow-Tows are just dripping in class nowadays.

Newhaven - style central.

It's an hour's drive out of town, but it's probably worth it for what is an incomparable fish supper, head and shoulders above anything I've had anywhere else.

http://www.anstrutherfishbar.co.uk/

I honestly didn't think it would live up to the hype, but it was stunning. If they were in Edinburgh I'd be there every night.

you're talking through yer arse.

Gio's is a fantastic chippy.

You have been a weegie too long. ;)

Gio's USED to be superb, a pale imitation now IMO.

Still not tried the Tailend yet, that is on my list of things to do. Still love the Jubilee tbh.

allystrachan

cant believe no one has mentioned picantes yet!

half pizza supper and a DJ! they are also world record holders!

cant believe no one has mentioned picantes yet!

half pizza supper and a DJ! they are also world record holders!

tailend fish bar on leith walk is terrific & i'm very fond of the disco chippie, the piccante, on broughton street.

not a huge lover of chippies, but if i ever get the yen, its one of those 2

Not a fan of the food in there though.

Record holders for what?!

I quite like the Pentland fry. Worst by a mile is the Roseburn. Awful Chippy.

You mean 'Ben Hur' ? Totally agree, got chips and cheese from there when i was blootered and it still tasted asthough he'd scraped it from the underside of his wife's erse.

You mean 'Ben Hur' ? Totally agree, got chips and cheese from there when i was blootered and it still tasted asthough he'd scraped it from the underside of his wife's erse.

Thats the boy. I made the fatal mistake of ordering a king rib once. It wasn't long in getting flushed through.

Thats the boy. I made the fatal mistake of ordering a king rib once. It wasn't long in getting flushed through.

:rofl: some of the crack on this thread is superb!!!!!

for those of us fortunate enough to live in sunny East Lothian, ALANDA's chippy in the Port Seton caravan park is magic: the fish is braw (east lothian speak). they have a chippie in the "Pans" as well ,but for some reason the caravan park is the haws. Maybe the quality has to be better or the weegies will torch it ;)

Corstorphines BBQ on Glagow Road. Superb!!

Monty, the BBQ on Corry road has been mentioned a few times. Why so good? is it Italian? They always seem to have the best chippies??

this_is_my_story
Monty, the BBQ on Corry road has been mentioned a few times. Why so good? is it Italian? They always seem to have the best chippies??

Have wondered myself how so many chippies are Italian owned?

BBQ has rightly been mentioned a few times, it's how a chippy should taste. Gorgie fish bar also very good in my opinion.

Years since I've been there so not sure if it'll still be under the same ownership, but the chippy at Pumpherston was absolutely top drawer, they'd won awards a couple of times. Also completely agree re previous postings about Ben Hur... once was enough for me, disgusting is not the word!

jambos are go!
I quite like the Pentland fry. Worst by a mile is the Roseburn. Awful Chippy.

Sorry but the chips at the Pentland Fry are dire IMO. Otherwise good but the Chips are important.

jambos are go!
It's an hour's drive out of town, but it's probably worth it for what is an incomparable fish supper, head and shoulders above anything I've had anywhere else.

http://www.anstrutherfishbar.co.uk/

I honestly didn't think it would live up to the hype, but it was stunning. If they were in Edinburgh I'd be there every night.

Try the Tailend on Leith Walk - its run by a previous owner of the Anstruther Fish Bar

Try the Tailend on Leith Walk - its run by a previous owner of the Anstruther Fish Bar

Tailend started off amazing but is now pish.

It's a franchise of the Anstruther and is now in danger of dragging down its famous parent with very poor food.

:(

Commander Harris

I got a sausage supper from the ben hur once, it was quite a greasy sausage and quite a cold night so the fat was solidifying on my hand like wax. absolutely rank, makes me wonder what that does to my insides.

44 days and counting till my next chippie.

The Bar-B-Q is a given, I just need to decide what I'm gonna have. Fish Supper or King Rib, biggest decision I have to make right now so I'll give it 6 weeks of serious thought

The Gorgie or Picante, depending on what side of town your on when the cravings kick in.

The Steak Pie supper at the Gorgie is the stuff of legend.

The Pizza supper at Picante is so good I had 2 in the space of 5 hours after watching a Scotland game in the Pheonix!

jambos are go!

It's a franchise of the Anstruther and is now in danger of dragging down its famous parent with very poor food.

Was excellent a fornight ago. It could only be half as good but still twice as good as the soggy chips and the thick double blanket batter smothering even decent haddock. That is sadly the norm in Edinburgh.

suicidalpostie
Sorry but the chips at the Pentland Fry are dire IMO. Otherwise good but the Chips are important.

I got chips there last night mate and they were crackin

i think it just depends on what time you go

A bit out of town but Corvis chip shop in bo'ness is fantastic for a fish supper, only uses fresh haddock and is (or was) the only chip shop in scotland in the scottish good food guide....its brilliant

not lived in edinburgh for 10 years now but my faves were the 1 on tolcross next to the kingsarms , the deep sea at the top of leith and the 1 on stenhouse cross.

you should try stornoway for a chippie - no chippie sauce or proper white pudding.

when i'm down visiting my folks in east calder i always stock up at tonino's chippie in mid calder(another quality chippie)

not lived in edinburgh for 10 years now but my faves were the 1 on tolcross next to the kingsarms , the deep sea at the top of leith and the 1 on stenhouse cross.

you should try stornoway for a chippie - no chippie sauce or proper white pudding.

when i'm down visiting my folks in east calder i always stock up at tonino's chippie in mid calder(another quality chippie)

If you nip over to Ullapool the front chippie has proper chippy sauce :)

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I had a long conversation with the guy that owns the Tailend the other Saturday when I bought my olds lunch from there (you have to wait for your fish as everything is cooked to order)

He sold the Anstruther Chippy about two years ago and set up the Tail End with his business partner who is also a fish merchant. Its nowt to do with the Anstruther place apart from the fact he used to own it

Personally I think he does the best quality fish suppers in Edinburgh and I've been a L'Alba Doro man for the past twenty years. Great choice of fish, coatings and method of cooking. And ALWAYS fresh cooked to order.

Archived