Players still not paid

Geoff Kilpatrick

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dr Ian Malcolm

Basically its an article that repeats whats already been said. Personally, I couldn't care less. The players are on, compared to the rest of us with normal jobs (rich coming from a student but you know what I mean) are on very very good money. The thousands they were paid last week should see them through the extra day or so they're having to wait.

The rest of the staff - its unfortuante, but they'll be paid soon. It was said on Sunday that it'll be sorted in the next couple of days - its now only just tuesday, yet the papers think they need to remind us all of what was said less than 48 hours ago. Boring.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Basically its an article that repeats whats already been said. Personally, I couldn't care less. The players are on, compared to the rest of us with normal jobs (rich coming from a student but you know what I mean) are on very very good money. The thousands they were paid last week should see them through the extra day or so they're having to wait.

The rest of the staff - its unfortuante, but they'll be paid soon. It was said on Sunday that it'll be sorted in the next couple of days - its now only just tuesday, yet the papers think they need to remind us all of what was said less than 48 hours ago. Boring.

I'll agree it's boring if it is sorted out pronto.

It strikes me that the "spokesman" (presumably David Southern) doesn't really know what's going on either, otherwise he would specify a date by which this would be settled.

It strikes me that the "spokesman" (presumably David Southern) doesn't really know what's going on either, otherwise he would specify a date by which this would be settled.

A fair point, but DS said on Saturday that the payment should be paid by early next week, and we're still in "early next week." As others have noted, bank to bank transfers clearing through an intermediary bank sometimes can be held up for the most innocuous of reasons. Accordingly, it can be hard to state a firm date which by a transfer will be credited to the the beneficiary account.

Geoff Kilpatrick
What effect is it having on you Geoff? :rolleyes:

On me personally, none.

Equally, Hearts winning on Saturday didn't personally affect me either in terms of making a material difference to my life.

However, as a fan of the club, I feel I'm entitled to comment on either situation.

sergent garcia

fact is that during the crisis as ubig is basically the bank to produce money for romanovs bigger investments all around the world and now a lot of objects are cheap so they trying to get more free money and selling obligations at crazy rate 8 proc., so probably its short term problem with money supply....

What another non-story. Nothing has changed since Friday. "Early Next Week" does mean in my eyes Mon or Tues and maybe Wed at the latest.

Whatever the reasons are for the delay early "this" week is early this week, why does it need to be re-hashed by the press on day 1

On me personally, none.

Equally, Hearts winning on Saturday didn't personally affect me either in terms of making a material difference to my life.

However, as a fan of the club, I feel I'm entitled to comment on either situation.

I hear ya Geoff (and agree) but withouht scroling thru the last few days of posts, What opinions did you have and post on Sat's performance and win;)

Does the delay in pay only effect our high earners or something? What about the youth players?

I agree it is a bit of a non-story assuming it is sorted out today of course.

Does the delay in pay only effect our high earners or something? What about the youth players?

I agree it is a bit of a non-story assuming it is sorted out today of course.

Good point Mr Nobody - many of our youth players are on 'bottom dollar' and they're the same as everyone else with commitments to pay each week/month. Imagine the effect on us if our salary was not paid into the bank on time.

And in the future, when (hopefully) these young players become hugely talented footballers, can we expect them to show loyalty to the club?

I do not think so. Most of what I understood led me to believe that Tuesday would be more than likely the day the wages would be paid.

I also think David Southern would not give a definite date - this is a bad move especially if it did not happen, which could be the case, either due to circumstances within our control, or outwith, so it is best not to be too specidic with expectations.

It still should not have happened though - if it is the clubs fault they have to ensure it does not happen again, if not, they need guarantees from whos fault it is it will not happen again, alongside sending them a bill for any bank charges staff have had as a result.

Good point Mr Nobody - many of our youth players are on 'bottom dollar'

John, Does that mean they are paid Weekly...........Very Weekly :)

OK, I'll get ma' coat :sad:

What another non-story. Nothing has changed since Friday. "Early Next Week" does mean in my eyes Mon or Tues and maybe Wed at the latest.

Whatever the reasons are for the delay early "this" week is early this week, why does it need to be re-hashed by the press on day 1

Scotlands third biggest football club not paying their players on time and you expect the press not to report it. The longer it goes on the worse it will get. If Hearts knew the money wasn,t going to be in the players accounts last week why did they not tell everybody up front. Not paying on time is the first sign of serious cash flow problems and ridiculing the press for reporting it won't make it go away. Hopefully the players will be paid soon and it won't happen again. Then we can all forget about it.

ridiculing the press for reporting it won't make it go away

Only some of the fans are, the club made a short but concise statement on the website which should suffice.

I think we'll hear soon enough if the club is up the river.

Imagine the effect on us if our salary was not paid into the bank on time.

My salary is paid from abroad through a third party so I am well familiar with the tardiness of the banking system. I am forever checking my bank account and contacting my accountant to locate missing salary payments.

Funds kept in a middleman's bank account for a few days can accrue interest.

It should be a simple task for accountants to ensure that funds are transferred so that salaries are in bank accounts on time. However, it appears never to be that simple.

It might assist UBIG to have salaries paid from Lithuania but I'm not sure that the recipients would agree.

Scotlands third biggest football club not paying their players on time and you expect the press not to report it. The longer it goes on the worse it will get. If Hearts knew the money wasn,t going to be in the players accounts last week why did they not tell everybody up front. Not paying on time is the first sign of serious cash flow problems and ridiculing the press for reporting it won't make it go away. Hopefully the players will be paid soon and it won't happen again. Then we can all forget about it.

It can be a sign of cash flow problems.

Or it could be an issue with the slightly odd practice of variable weekly pay runs and sanctioning payments on an international basis (given that virtually all of Hearts revenue is locally generated and paid locally (though there are the long time lags between season ticket sales and payments to the players)).

Time will tell.

winston churchill

hobo,your snide wee digs are becoming tedious.if i tried that over on fwanksauceyrippedusoff.net i would be gone before the sun set.

Ah yes the nameless 'spokesman' that the weegy press always quote.

The only named quote on this subject is from Berra and he's quite comfortable with the situation therefore the problem only exists in the eyes of the press.

To all those that think or hope this is a non story. As soon as Hearts realised they had a "technical hitch it would be possible to make a CHAPS payment immediately to all staff, that hasn't happened if staff have still not been paid. Therefore either Vlad is on another power trip or there's more to this

marshallschunkychicken

To be fair, I think you'd find it hard to get any incoming bank transfer credited to your account by your own bank over a weekend.

It SHOULD have appeared yesterday though, hopefully today this will be rectified and it can be put to bed.

ToadKiller Dog

I thought the club had said they expected the players to be paid on tuesday at the latest not that they would be paid in good time for the daily papers going to press.

Who says that the players were not told ?, The press have reported it, my point was why did the story have to be re-run as soon. As we all know monies often go into an account overnight so who is to say it didn't go in overnight before that non story was written?

The only thing you got righ is we are Scotlands 3rd biggest club

Billy the Jambo

I was working on saturday and listened to match on radio .Before the match they asked Charlie Mann about this .Now i know he has feck all to do with us anymore but he said that there are a couple of people in the UBIG boardroom that think there are more important things than Hearts on their agenda.If that is true bearing in mind that it was Charlie Mann that was saying this it could mean we could be in trouble

Who says that the players were not told ?, The press have reported it, my point was why did the story have to be re-run as soon. As we all know monies often go into an account overnight so who is to say it didn't go in overnight before that non story was written?

The only thing you got righ is we are Scotlands 3rd biggest club

The players were told,there wasnt a queue of posh cars outside the ATM in Gorgie Road followed by a car boot sale of Prada bags.

Geoff Kilpatrick
I hear ya Geoff (and agree) but withouht scroling thru the last few days of posts, What opinions did you have and post on Sat's performance and win;)

From Lawrence's annoying commentary and the Setanta highlights, we created a really good goal and ground out three points. Happy with the way things are on the pitch at present, particularly given the injury problems.

To all those that think or hope this is a non story. As soon as Hearts realised they had a "technical hitch it would be possible to make a CHAPS payment immediately to all staff, that hasn't happened if staff have still not been paid. Therefore either Vlad is on another power trip or there's more to this

I don't believe there is more to this other than sheer incompetence at the Lithuanian end. It's about time financial control was delegated back to HMFC.

If Charlie Mann said that then it is worrying because Ukio's share price has slumped again plus they were downgraded to a negative rating by Standard and Poor's. Ukio will, like every other bank, be worried.

Of course, the PR coming from the club will be everyone's fine, everything's OK, everyone within the club will have been told there's no problem. Lehman's employees were told up until the end that everything was rosy and look what happened to them.

It comes down to share price in the end. If there had been a technical glitch I would have expected payment to be made by now. Common sense points to a cash flow problem though. I remember Charlie Mann saying that Romanov was asset rich but cash poor. Ukio might not be able to get their hands on money as easy as they may have in the past.

Ach diddums. Majority of them are on far too much as it is anyway (Kingston), would be good to give them a boot up the arse ;)

It's about time financial control was delegated back to HMFC.

Probably the most sensible thing any of us have posted on this thread:p

Geoff Kilpatrick
Scaremongering by a senior poster, am sure it will be resolved if the main man is saying Ukios are making plenty.

Scaremongering? Hardly. Just annoyed that brickbats are being thrown at the club when it could have been avoided.

it was today they were meant to be paid so hold your horses!it has always said it was meant to be tuesday,just the daily record likes to milk it for all it's worth.

retract that-the players were offered that on friday but said they would rather have it straight into their account.sorry to disappoint you.

Probably the most sensible thing any of us have posted on this thread:p

Finanial control was removed from HMFC was because we allowed a marketing man to have control over budgets,a recipe for disaster in my experience.

The response was Draconian and in many ways typically Russian....control budgets centrally with local people having zero disccretion to exceed their quarterly allocation.

This practice has caused creditors to wait for payments and for wages not to be paid.

It works short term.but like communism in Russia is eventually doomed to failure,when we have our director of football swanning of to Euro finals to show of his new barnet .nepotism at the club...with players being signed after a S American junket and players conversely not being paid on time.

200milesfromgorgie

Can i please just say i am an 'insider' in the 'industry' that deal with electronic payments. You will find that there are huge problems with BACS like systems at the moment. They do not compare with the UK's Link, BACS, FPS systems. There is technical difficulties at the moment. IF Hearts player where not being paid via UBIG then they still may have a proble if it was another Euro bank, American bank or irish bank. The electronic payment infustructure in these countrys are like a run down house needing Sarah Beanie (?) to do them up!

Even if the funds did arrive yesterday they still have to be processed and transferred to each individual account. If its a CHAPS same day transfer the cut off is 2pm and I would very much doubt that BoS would have had enough time to transfer the funds unless they were in the account first thing on Monday morning.

portobellojambo1
Sorry, I don't care what "technical glitches" are involved - this is getting farcical.

Did the statement not say the money would be in their accounts by Tuesday Geoff. At the time you posted anything being produced to say "the players still have not been paid" would have had to be based on the fact it wasn't in their accounts by close of banking business Monday (it wasn't expected to be, what I read said the funds would be wired across today).

Geoff Kilpatrick
Did the statement not say the money would be in their accounts by Tuesday Geoff. At the time you posted anything being produced to say "the players still have not been paid" would have had to be based on the fact it wasn't in their accounts by close of banking business Monday (it wasn't expected to be, what I read said the funds would be wired across today).

Perhaps. I would like to hope the club can issue a similar 'brief' statement to say the matter has been sorted. To me, it sounds like Southern is floundering because he can't clarify the matter fully.

retract that-the players were offered that on friday but said they would rather have it straight into their account.sorry to disappoint you.

That was about cheques wasn't it? Not CHAPS payments.

Hopefully half our over paid huddies will cry breach of contract and terminate it. Doing to the squad which no manager in the last two years has done. Clear it out!

I know nothing about the technical aspects of money transfers but I know plenty about the excuses that come up for lateness and cash going missing so it doesn't surprise me at all that the situation may not yet have been resolved. Weekends aren't banking days and this is only Tuesday - reports from the club pretty much all said 'next week' so we're only 2 days in.

The senior players can survive quite easily but as someone else mentioned before, I hope the youngsters weren't left out of pocket. That wouldn't be ideal at all. But I'd like to think that the club would be aware of their more restrictive finances and would have done something about that, can't see them leaving anyone penniless. The press would have latched onto that like a barnacle to a boat.

Geoff Kilpatrick
OMG!

Almost a whole week?

For their thousands?

How will they survive!

For the hard of hearing, I'm actually not bothered about the players welfare - I am concerned about the club being dragged through the mire again just when things had settled down.

Archived