The Official Ryder Cup Thread

chester copperpot

The Old Tolbooth

Checks out the yank players on the back of the buggy waving bloody American flags ffs, they're so up themselves it's unreal!!!

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The U.S. always seem stronger inn the singles, and I really fear for Europe as the Americans seem to be excelling when the crowd gets going on the back 9. Europe really need to win tomorrow at least 6-2 to have a fighting chance for Sunday imo

The record would show otherwise. Over the last 6, the European team have won a lot more than the Americans eg over the last 3 9, 7, 5 and in 95, 7 also.

If it hasnt already been said, the main difference, IMO, is the lack of the sabretoothed fellow. Could explain why Big Phil has played so well so far....

No, he was just off the green, and played one of his flop shots. Full backswing, full clubhead speed and the ball just pops up, out of the rough, and lands about 10 yards away. The type of full swing we would take with the big dog! Fantastic shot.

Don't think so. His short game is second to none. Tends not to top shots but we can hope

I'll find the "tongue-in-cheek" smiley next time...

The Old Tolbooth
I'll find the "tongue-in-cheek" smiley next time...

Your not allowed to be funny on here mate, you'd think you would learn from my Monday joke!! Tut tut!! :P

I'm watching this on ESPN and the Yanks are creaming themselves over this. Guy just waffled on about them being "young Mozarts creating a symphony"

The Old Tolbooth
I'm watching this on ESPN and the Yanks are creaming themselves over this. Guy just waffled on about them being "young Mozarts creating a symphony"

That's the sort of pish that the hobo's come out with, and they always end up with hee haw!

Fingers crossed ;)

That's the sort of pish that the hobo's come out with, and they always end up with hee haw!

Fingers crossed ;)

And thats where the name "Boo Weekly" comes into it's own! :107years:

Say What Again
And thats where the name "Boo Weekly" comes into it's own! :107years:

Post of the month at least.

Outstanding young man! :thumb:

:eek: Faldo drops Garcia and Westwood for morning foursomes!!!! This will btay in e a record defeat for the european team, im going for another 6-2 today to USA and for them to win 8 of the singles matches. Faldo GTF!!!

I agree.. when things are going against you what do you do... drop your most experienced players ... doh!

I know they were not great yesterday but think they would have been good enough to bounce back! Lets just hope this one comes off for Faldo as nothing seemed to yesterday. Fair play to the US though. Everything seemed to go in!

crazy_jambo_2006

If we lose Ryder Cup, Faldo has a lot to answer for. Not takin Darren Clarke, then allowin media to see team pairings in advance (by being careless when cameras were around). In general, I just dislike Faldo. But obv I still want us to win. He should've taken Monty+Clarke though. Just heard he's left Westwood out today. Strane

I agree with splitting up Garcia and Westwood, both putting poorly.

Need a really strong start and I agree with Boof that Monty and Clarke should have been in the clubhouse with them.

We are up against it.

Father Tiresias
Monty and Clarke should be there even if it's just as non-playing wise heads in the clubhouse.

Faldo deliberately didn't take any 'wise heads' because he wants to be the centre of attention. A very controvertial wild card selection in Poulter who hasn't won for nearly a year, then drops Garcia and Westwood this morning.

I thought for the first Ryder Cup in a long long time that the Europeans looked a bit lacking, there was no spark to ignite them and I'm not sure that his selections this morning will be any more successful than they were yesterday.

Mickelson and Kim look unbeatable as do Leonard and Mahan, so the best we can do this morning is 2-2.

I reckon we need to take a lead into Sunday to have any chance, if not then it will be the start of Faldo hunting season for sure!

alwaysthereinspirit
Monty and Clarke should be there even if it's just as non-playing wise heads in the clubhouse.

He doesn't need Monty and Clarke around him. They would only use up the space reserved for his son on the captains cart.:rolleyes:

:eek: Faldo drops Garcia and Westwood for morning foursomes!!!! This will btay in e a record defeat for the european team, im going for another 6-2 today to USA and for them to win 8 of the singles matches. Faldo GTF!!!

Faldo's an erse, he isnt bright enuff to be skipper, he's not got the mentality for it at all. Gimp.

Europe in dire straights, going into a foursomes they need to win at least 3-1, what does Captain Marvel do...drop someone unbeaten in his last 12 ryder cup matches, and someone else who has never lost a foursomes game, scoring 8 1/2 out of a possible 9

Fecking genius!

My bet for today is a treble : Leonard/Mahan, Mickelson/Kim, Harrington/Karlsson - 5.36/1

Sadly we are now without the boat never mind the paddle. Faldo has never struck me as any kind of team player and certainly seems about in control of affairs as a traffic cone. big mistake to assume the ryder cup was just like a tounament and thus leaving out clark and monty. Bigger mistake the sandwich "joke" and now a severe gamble on the foursomes. don't want the USa to win can't abide their jingoistic xenaphobia but am probbaly expecting too much for hurricane to revive itself and rip up the course (the only way europe will not get a complete trousering this weekend)

I seem to have a rather impressive knack of getting every individual match predicition wrong. I am open to bribes on who to bet on tomorrow ;)

The Old Tolbooth
Boo Weekley.

What a complete hick. :laugh:

Ha ha!! That's what I was thinking too, but he's played some superb golf tonight though.

I love the Ryder cup, it's magic!

portobellojambo1
Ha ha!! That's what I was thinking too, but he's played some superb golf tonight though.

I love the Ryder cup, it's magic!

It's been a spectacle as usual John. I still think Europe have got a chance. In the past I often thought the American team contained players you would expect to do well in the singles. However this time round I am not so sure, if Europe pick correctly at the lower end they could achieve 14 points tomorrow and retain the cup.

I seem to have a rather impressive knack of getting every individual match predicition wrong. I am open to bribes on who to bet on tomorrow ;)

Old Firm and Hibs - every game from now till the end of time :D

Or, to stay on topic, every USA player.

Still want Europe to win, but due to 12 (or just enough) individually brilliant performances - no Captain ******-up influences needed.

The Old Tolbooth
It's been a spectacle as usual John. I still think Europe have got a chance. In the past I often thought the American team contained players you would expect to do well in the singles. However this time round I am not so sure, if Europe pick correctly at the lower end they could achieve 14 points tomorrow and retain the cup.

It certainly has been a spectacle mate, the Americans knew what they were doing with Valhalla as the venue too as I reckon it's much more suited to the Americans style of "target golf", than the European style courses.

The roller coaster ride that your emotions go through is incredible though, when Garcia holed that long putt and got a tad excited, I was almost out my seat, and then when the American holed his it was back to despair lol!

I cant wait for the singles.

Predictions for today...

1703 Anthony Kim v Sergio Garcia - Draw

1714 Hunter Mahan v Paul Casey - Casey

1725 Justin Leonard v Robert Karlsson - Karlsson

1736 Phil Mickelson v Justin Rose - Mickelson

1747 Kenny Perry v Henrik Stenson - Stenson

1758 Boo Weekley v Oliver Wilson - Weekley

1809 JB Holmes v Soren Hansen - Holmes

1820 Jim Furyk v Miguel Angel Jimenez - Jimenez

1831 Stewart Cink v Graeme McDowell - McDowell

1842 Steve Stricker v Ian Poulter - Draw

1853 Ben Curtis v Lee Westwood - Curtis

1904 Chad Campbell v Padraig Harrington - Harrington

EUROPE RETAIN THE RYDER CUP

alwaysthereinspirit
Predictions for today...

1703 Anthony Kim v Sergio Garcia - Draw

1714 Hunter Mahan v Paul Casey - Casey

1725 Justin Leonard v Robert Karlsson - Karlsson

1736 Phil Mickelson v Justin Rose - Mickelson

1747 Kenny Perry v Henrik Stenson - Stenson

1758 Boo Weekley v Oliver Wilson - Weekley

1809 JB Holmes v Soren Hansen - Holmes

1820 Jim Furyk v Miguel Angel Jimenez - Jimenez

1831 Stewart Cink v Graeme McDowell - McDowell

1842 Steve Stricker v Ian Poulter - Draw

1853 Ben Curtis v Lee Westwood - Curtis

1904 Chad Campbell v Padraig Harrington - Harrington

EUROPE RETAIN THE RYDER CUP

Not sure about Poulter, Westwood and Harrington bringing up the rear. I'd rather see the points in the bag early.

Prove me wrong Faldo.

Not sure about Poulter, Westwood and Harrington bringing up the rear. I'd rather see the points in the bag early.

Prove me wrong Faldo.

I was thinking the same before I saw the pairings. It's exactly what Azinger has done and loaded up the early games with the "form" players of the weekend to get the points in the bag.

On saying that, and as much as I think Faldo is a plum, he has 2 great matchplay golfers 1 and 2 in Sergio and PC. And in the final 3 pairings he has Poulter, who has played some great golf this weekend (would Darren have played better?), and finishing with our record Ryder Cup scorer then the current PGA and Open (x2) Champion?

Whatever we think, it's gonna make for some great golf this evening :)

I know he's been getting a lot of criticism over the picks but Poulter has proved to be the best player so far. Monty was never going to get picked. It wasn't because it was Faldo it was because he has done nothing for a while now.

Monty could have been close to getting into the Ryder Cup and justified a pick but you can't pick someone who is playing that poorly just because of his previous form in the RC. I would have picked Clarke but I can see where Faldo was coming from. Poulter and Casey were the two highest ranked players in the world rankings who weren't in the team automatically.

I think some people's opinions are being blinded by their dislike of Faldo. We have a decent chance going into the singles. 8 of the players have played at least 3 games (only 6 with the US team). Wilson is the only one who has played 1 match and he won that.

I can understand his "odd" choices for the pairings. The big names haven't performed. From 3 games-Harrington-half a point, Westwood-half a point and Garcia-1 point. It has been the inexperienced players like Poulter and Rose who have helped us most.

I know he's been getting a lot of criticism over the picks but Poulter has proved to be the best player so far. Monty was never going to get picked. It wasn't because it was Faldo it was because he has done nothing for a while now.

Monty could have been close to getting into the Ryder Cup and justified a pick but you can't pick someone who is playing that poorly just because of his previous form in the RC. I would have picked Clarke but I can see where Faldo was coming from. Poulter and Casey were the two highest ranked players in the world rankings who weren't in the team automatically.

I think some people's opinions are being blinded by their dislike of Faldo. We have a decent chance going into the singles. 8 of the players have played at least 3 games (only 6 with the US team). Wilson is the only one who has played 1 match and he won that.

I can understand his "odd" choices for the pairings. The big names haven't performed. From 3 games-Harrington-half a point, Westwood-half a point and Garcia-1 point. It has been the inexperienced players like Poulter and Rose who have helped us most.

Westwood has scored 1 point this weekend, 2 halfs. But I agree with your point. The experienced players haven't "stepped up". If you look at Sergio, Harrington, Jiminez and Westwood, they have scored a total of 3 points between them, the same total Hunter Mahan has managed himself.

When the team was announced we worried about the choice of Poulter but if it wasn't for his 3 points we'd be handing the cup back now.

Westwood has scored 1 point this weekend, 2 halfs. But I agree with your point. The experienced players haven't "stepped up". If you look at Sergio, Harrington, Jiminez and Westwood, they have scored a total of 3 points between them, the same total Hunter Mahan has managed himself.

When the team was announced we worried about the choice of Poulter but if it wasn't for his 3 points we'd be handing the cup back now.

Yeah you're right, my mistake. We've really got to hope that they will raise their game for the singles. Harrington has been the biggest disappointment so far. Half a point in 3 games from our highest ranked player is not good enough.

Hopefully with these players they will do better in one v one situations. We need 7.5/12 points to win the cup. Not too easy but I think we can do it. I reckon there will be some surprises and you will see the lesser known players in our team get some vital points.

Yeah you're right, my mistake. We've really got to hope that they will raise their game for the singles. Harrington has been the biggest disappointment so far. Half a point in 3 games from our highest ranked player is not good enough.

Hopefully with these players they will do better in one v one situations. We need 7.5/12 points to win the cup. Not too easy but I think we can do it. I reckon there will be some surprises and you will see the lesser known players in our team get some vital points.

It's gonna be nailbiting that's for sure. We need 7 points to retain the trophy as a draw, every half point counts!!!

Hopefully it doesn't finish too late or I could be phoning in sick to work tomorrow morning. "Sorry boss, I've got anal blindness", "Anal blindness, whats that?", "I can't see my arse getting out of bed" :rolleyes:

Archived