The Official Ryder Cup Thread

chester copperpot

chester copperpot

So what your thinking. Best cup ever?

What's your predicitions this year. Lets see what happens this year.

I love the Ryder cup.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love it too!! Dunno why, but I have a weird feeling somehow USA will win. Think its because everyone's expecting us to walk it. Cant be the best Ryder Cup ever though, not without Monty, even if he's playing gash.

chester copperpot
Love it too!! Dunno why, but I have a weird feeling somehow USA will win. Think its because everyone's expecting us to walk it. Cant be the best Ryder Cup ever though, not without Monty, even if he's playing gash.

I think so too.

Hope Im wrong though.

Say What Again

TBH I couldn't give a monkeys about golf - in fact, if you drank in my local, you're driven to almost despise the game.

However, the event itself is a spectacle I do enjoy. Twinned with something else I enjoy - gambling - I looked at the odds today.

The bookies must reckon it's close as (Paddy Power) are offering the exact same odds on everything. From overall winner, to handicap betting, to winning margin. Though the odds aren't surprising - if you can't separate the teams overall then the betting will reflect that throughout - I was surprised how even it is.

For the sake of a gamble/interest, I'm going to do a correct score of 15.5-12.5 either side at 12s.

Say What Again
Im doing a -3 point on Europe. Winner.

Equivalent of what I'm going to do (either side).

I just feel the confidence from golf fans I speak to here - and twunts like Poulter/Faldo in the team - may go against them.

A golf pro I spoke to claimed NO WAY will Europe lose this, BET YOUR LIFE ON IT.

Is it as clear cut as that? The bookies don't think so.

I'm talking myself into backing America here too. :cool:

Faldo is that much of a ****** I think I would rather USA win!

Have to agree with that - Faldo is only interested in Faldo - he never has been a "team player".

Seen this pic in the paper

(Faldo's pairings)

I don't think it is real though.

I do! He got completely rumbled at yesterday's press conference, and was horrendously tetchy and inept in how he dealt with it. All he had to do was laugh it off, and say, "actually, these are my pairings - I have every confidence in them, and no need to play some daft game of subterfuge"; but instead, the old paranoia and stubbornness got the better of him.

I hope Europe win, and goodness knows, Faldo has proven his critics wrong time and time again. But I had my doubts the moment it was announced he'd be the captain: this guy is not a team player. Arguably, he has much the same problem as the Americans have for years: he's an individual, and a very bloody-minded one at that. Qualities which served him magnificently as a player - to my mind, Nick Faldo is one of the greatest sportsmen this country has ever produced - but as a Ryder Cup captain?

The English bias in the team worries me too. I honestly think that's why he picked Poulter over Clarke - and as a result, you may see him putting everything in the hands of Westwood, Rose, Poulter and Casey, and neglecting a number of others. I have bad vibes about this: traditionally, it's very tough to win in the US anyway, and they are desperate to get their hands back on the Cup. Unfortunately, I reckon they will too.

I do! He got completely rumbled at yesterday's press conference, and was horrendously tetchy and inept in how he dealt with it. All he had to do was laugh it off, and say, "actually, these are my pairings - I have every confidence in them, and no need to play some daft game of subterfuge"; but instead, the old paranoia and stubbornness got the better of him.

I hope Europe win, and goodness knows, Faldo has proven his critics wrong time and time again. But I had my doubts the moment it was announced he'd be the captain: this guy is not a team player. Arguably, he has much the same problem as the Americans have for years: he's an individual, and a very bloody-minded one at that. Qualities which served him magnificently as a player - to my mind, Nick Faldo is one of the greatest sportsmen this country has ever produced - but as a Ryder Cup captain?

The English bias in the team worries me too. I honestly think that's why he picked Poulter over Clarke - and as a result, you may see him putting everything in the hands of Westwood, Rose, Poulter and Casey, and neglecting a number of others. I have bad vibes about this: traditionally, it's very tough to win in the US anyway, and they are desperate to get their hands back on the Cup. Unfortunately, I reckon they will too.

He really is thick, isn't he?

Ultimately, I can't see that it matters the other team knowing what your pairings are. The other team just have to go out and play as well as they can. All this secrecy and 'element of surprise' is ham.

So: Fildo could have been playing a massive game of bluff to stir up something to talk about - but he wouldn't have thought to do so himself.

Or - he thinks it's really important but his brainpower isn't strong enough to retain the names of 4 pairings (a total of 8 people in the right order, matching nationality with nationality - hard stuff) and, having been caught out, can't think of anything sensible to say.

The man's an arse-crack.

Here's my dilemma

I don't have Sky at home.

My golf club will be showing the Ryder Cup on big screen until the bitter end.

I have a 36-hole matchplay final of my own to contest on Sunday so my 'golf credits' are all used up.

How am I going to watch it? Will there be a live feed anywhere on the internet so that I can open a work-related document and Alt-Tab to that when the wife comes into the room?

Finally, I suspect Europe keep the cup but by a slim margin. Maximum of 2 points. Not betting on it though - haven't seen anything attractive with the odds.

Here's my dilemma

I don't have Sky at home.

My golf club will be showing the Ryder Cup on big screen until the bitter end.

I have a 36-hole matchplay final of my own to contest on Sunday so my 'golf credits' are all used up.

How am I going to watch it? Will there be a live feed anywhere on the internet so that I can open a work-related document and Alt-Tab to that when the wife comes into the room?

Don't worry, there'll be live feeds all over the net. God bless them: I refuse point blank to ever subscribe to Uncle Rupert's protection racket, and have made do with listening to the Ryder Cup ever since 1995. Not any more though... ;)

So if I were you, I'd keep Five Live on while playing your final - and then, thanks to the wonders of the net (not to mention quickly closed browser windows), can pretend to 'er indoors that you're hard at it, while actually being anything but!

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Seen this pic in the paper

(Faldo's pairings)

757693.jpg

I don't think it is real though.

It is real - however, they were only the pairings for Thursday's practice. Faldo reluctantly admitted so himself.

I must be the only man in the UK who loves Nick Faldo. Ever since he signed my programme and ruffled my hair at Muirfield when he won by having 18 pars I have been in awe of him.

The best golfer these shores have ever produced by a country mile and a 100% winner. Who cares if he rubs people up the wrong way. I love that in a person.

Come on Europe (and Paul Casey who I have had a little tickle on to be top scorer.)

I'M IBRAHIM TALL
Equivalent of what I'm going to do (either side).

I just feel the confidence from golf fans I speak to here - and twunts like Poulter/Faldo in the team - may go against them.

A golf pro I spoke to claimed NO WAY will Europe lose this, BET YOUR LIFE ON IT.

Is it as clear cut as that? The bookies don't think so.

I'm talking myself into backing America here too. :cool:

Your very knowledgable about something you despise I must say:):)

I'M IBRAHIM TALL
It is real - however, they were only the pairings for Thursday's practice. Faldo reluctantly admitted so himself.

The opposition knowing the other teams pairings in advance isnt that much of an advantage if you think about it. I cant see Azinger ripping up his lists on the back of a bit of paper that might or might not be relevant. It gives the press something to write about but Faldo and Azinger are far too streetwise to let that kind of thing worry them

Im watching the story of the 06 Ryder Cup on Sky Sports just now and its starting to dawn on me that NOT taking Monty and Clarke might be a mistake. Monty's form has been patchy the last 2 years but I think he would bring lot more than golf to this team that is in the main quite inexperienced. The Ryder Cup might have come 6 months too early for Clarke but he's a battler and he plays so well with 2 or 3 guys on the team it might have increased Faldo's options. Still at least Poulter and Casey arent huddies and know the score with this competition.

Lastly, did you know that Oliver Wilson's caddy comes from Penicuik and is a Jambo? You do now.

Don't worry, there'll be live feeds all over the net. God bless them: I refuse point blank to ever subscribe to Uncle Rupert's protection racket, and have made do with listening to the Ryder Cup ever since 1995. Not any more though... ;)

So if I were you, I'd keep Five Live on while playing your final - and then, thanks to the wonders of the net (not to mention quickly closed browser windows), can pretend to 'er indoors that you're hard at it, while actually being anything but!

My final should be over by the time the singles go out. I'll pop home and so the family duties and, if I can't get a pass out back to the club, I'm sure that someone will have a link or two to live feed up here.

There's also the BBC text commentary & there'll probably be a live scoreboard on an Official Ryder Cup site - I'll have so many windows open, I'm bound to get caught out...

But he still had to write it out on a slip of paper. "Spanish bloke with the other Spanish bloke: Irish bloke with the other Irish bloke..."

Thicko. He may have ruffled Adamant's hair but he probably thought he was standing at a snack dispenser and wondering where his cheese & onion crisps were or something.

alwaysthereinspirit
So what your thinking. Best cup ever?

What's your predicitions this year. Lets see what happens this year.

I love the Ryder cup.

I watched Faldo being interviewed last night over here on the golf channel. My prediction now is as feared.

It's all about him. What a smarmy bar steward he comes over as.

For the record I believe the Ryder cup is brilliant.

Does anyone know why Sandy Lyle has never been considered for the captaincy? I reckon he'd have the perfect temperament for it, and think it's pretty dreadful how he's been forgotten about, unlike any of the rest of the Famous Five of the 1980s.

Monty & Clarke have, in my opinion, been dropped deservedly. Yes they both have tremendous Ryder Cup experience and records, but they've had their time. You can't stop the next generation from achieving what they did.

Guys like Rose, Casey, Poulter, McDowell, etc are very good golfers, and have a lot of experience of playing in the US, the first 3 especially.

I don't think it will be as easy a win as people are predicting, the Ryder Cup rarely dissapoints for twists & turns.

I might bet on the US, as I won't care a jot about losing ?10 if Europe win.

Does anyone know why Sandy Lyle has never been considered for the captaincy? I reckon he'd have the perfect temperament for it, and think it's pretty dreadful how he's been forgotten about, unlike any of the rest of the Famous Five of the 1980s.

I think it's because he's still been playing on the circuit until earlier this year.

Now that he's in the Senior's you might see his name mentioned for one of the next few.

alwaysthereinspirit

Can anyone guarantee Lyle wouldn't walk off the course if things weren't going Europes way. Lyle blew his chances.

Guest S.U.S.S.

Flado is an idiot.

Arrogant erse

1 vice captain is not enough.

Hope its a draw so we retain it, but wont be unhappy if we lose as he will get punted.

If we lose, the buck stops with him.

Do you think any hibs fans will watch the ryder cup or is it more likely it is a sport too far for them in terms of complication? give them a golf club and its considered a weapon!!

He's been considered, definitely.

I seem to recall that his name was in the frame to captain if not the next one but the one after.

However, his Open walk-off will have damaged his chances and most folk will be looking to Monty coming in as Captain very soon (since he's unlikely to play it again.)

I don't know whether Fildo's getting flack from the yanks or if it's only on our side. It might be something that would work in Europe's favour, diverting the attention from the players, especially the newbies. That said, Fildo doesn't seem to be soaking it up so his tantrums may have an adverse effect on the team.

Say What Again
Your very knowledgable about something you despise I must say:):)

I never used to mind golf. I didn't play it but enjoyed watching the majors and Ryder Cup on TV.

But you should try drinking in my local. It's all the staff and vast majority of regulars EVER talk about - in fact there are 2 guys I can think of who I reckon are actually incapable of talking about anything else.

If it's not bad enough listening to stroke by stroke descriptions of their latest 85 round the Royal, it's the showing off of the new driver (a ritual which involves everyone talking a shot of gripping it and assuming 'the stance' before commenting on it's loft/shaft/legality), or it's the fact it's constantly on TV. Re-runs of games from the 70s/pro-ams/the golf shopping channel (by far the worst and it's on a loop FFS)/I even suffered 'The Trilby Classic' - an event full of nobodies but you had to wear a trilby!

Like I said, it actually puts you of golf.

Drinking elsewhere local isn't an option as the other pub round about prefers boxing - usually live in the bar!

The Mighty Thor
what did he say

I think the general jist of it was that Faldo is a **** or maybe a ***** then again he could have meant he was an absolute ******

Either way it's not the Faldo appreciation society. :)

The Old Tolbooth
See the pairings are out for this afternoon.

Would never have guessed those pairings. :rolleyes:

:laugh:

Looking forward to this too mate, it's a shame it only happens once every 2 years as the excitement generated in this event is superb, although I have to agree that Faldo is a nob!

chester copperpot
:laugh:

Looking forward to this too mate, it's a shame it only happens once every 2 years as the excitement generated in this event is superb, although I have to agree that Faldo is a nob!

Faldo was a great great golfer, he's just a knob of the highest order.

I have mixed views about who I want to win this one, whereas normally right behind Europe.

portobellojambo1

Agree, watched the opening ceremony last night, and to say Faldo came across poorly is an understatement, he seems to lack greatly in the ability to make anything sound funny.

Still think Europe will win it though.

Suppose I better think about eating soon, because from 13:05 until midnight I will be stretched out in front of the TV watching it all.

See the pairings are out for this afternoon.

Would never have guessed those pairings. :rolleyes:

Where? The pairings are not usually named until the endd of the morning session?

chester copperpot
Where? The pairings are not usually named until the endd of the morning session?

Heard them on the radio this morning mate. Cannae remember who's with who for the life of me, but know Karlsson's with Harrington, god I forget the other one's now.

Actually now I come to think of it, could be Stenson with Harrington as the first pair.

Confused now.

The Old Tolbooth

I have mixed views about who I want to win this one, whereas normally right behind Europe.

I'm in absolutely no doubt about who I want to win mate, I remember the pathetic scenes the last time the yanks won the thing in America, and the hatred the yanks showed for the Europeans.

Even if Joseph Fritzel was captain of the European team I'd still want us to smash that mob!

I think after the foursomes Europe will have a 3-1 lead

Going have wee bet on

Harrington/Karlsson 6/5

Stenson/Casey 10/11

Cink/Campbell 11/8

Westwood/Garcia 8/11

Pays around 16/1

and thinking of having a wee double on Westwood 5/1 and Cink 8/1 as top players for their teams.

All prices courtesy of Ladbrokes Plc

I think after the foursomes Europe will have a 3-1 lead

Going have wee bet on

Harrington/Karlsson 6/5

Stenson/Casey 10/11

Cink/Campbell 11/8

Westwood/Garcia 8/11

Pays around 16/1

and thinking of having a wee double on Westwood 5/1 and Cink 8/1 as top players for their teams.

All prices courtesy of Ladbrokes Plc

Thats the way i see it going aswell, I had worked out lots of wee bets to keep me interested but just decided to stick 30 on Europe winning the morning session at 11/10 and then seeing how everyone is playing before i bet on pairings for 4balls...Headed out to the shops for the junk food now :)

Heard them on the radio this morning mate. Cannae remember who's with who for the life of me, but know Karlsson's with Harrington, god I forget the other one's now.

Actually now I come to think of it, could be Stenson with Harrington as the first pair.

Confused now.

You're starting to sound like Faldo

"This afternoon" in the UK is "This morning" in Kentucky. So we've only had news about one set of groups; the first one.

The captains have to declare their afternoon (local time) teams at/around lunch time. The suspense is unbearable.

Personally, I don't get to hung up about watching the foursomes/balls live. It's an awful lot of effort and time just to get 4 points so I keep an eye on the live scoring.

The singles is where it's at with that big scoreboard showing 12 matches and mixing from blue to red. Simple pleasures!

The Old Tolbooth
Anyone know if there's any way to watch it online once it starts?

I don't have sky :mad:

I was gonna ask the same thing mate

marshallschunkychicken

Harrington / Karlsson v Mickelson / Kim

Stenson / Casey v Leonard / Mahan

Rose / Poulter v Cink / Campbell

Westwood / Garcia v Perry / Furyk

Getting excited now... :smile:

Archived