EPL shows us how it's done - Terry red card rescinded

Therapist

Fozzyonthefence

Originally Posted by Adi Dassler

Must you call them FC every time you refer to them?

Yes.

Why? Anyway why do you only apply this to certain teams whose fans have, shall we say, similarities?

Anyway, nice to see Terry get some good news after his unfortunate slip losing his team the Champions League.

Fozzyonthefence
That was a tremendous win by Chelsea FC last night and bodes well for our Champions League campaign.

Blue is the colour. :)

"Our"? How many teams do you support? Just the 3?

Ally Alexander

I reckon that people's interpretation of what "serious foul play" constitutes. Does it necessary mean that the tackle is dangerous? Surely Terry's cynical challenge qualifies as his intention was to stop the player at all costs.

I think some people might be reading the rules wrong.

It has nothing to do with being the last man, Jo was denied a clear goalscoring opportunity by John Terry taking him out.

Thats a red card.

You're right in the sense that there is no reference to "last man" in Law 12, but it does say the referee has to take into account:

- the distance between the offence and the goal

- the likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball

- the direction of the play

- the location and number of defenders

I guess the FA decided that being just inside the opposition half with 2 defenders in the vicinity wasn't enough to qualify as "obvious", however cynical the challenge might have been.

Like a lot of football's laws that's open to interpretation but, if Terry deserved a red card, why did Vidic only get a yellow for pulling down Robbie Keane at the edge of the box? Maybe Webb was thinking "Keane's crap anyway, he'll probably lose control of the ball." :)

i thought the refs decision was one of the best i've seen in years from a ref! Terry knows excatly what he is doing and knows he will get away with it ! The FA have bottled it and have shown people that it is ok to cheat as long as you play for England !

Definitely, exactly, spot-on right. Terry'd been skinned and his immediate reaction was not to check for cover from his team mates but to do a Jonny Wilkinson. It was cynical and dirty play. "Serious?" - yes - it broke up a strong attacking opportunity. "Foul play?" - definitely.

The FA are bending the letter of the law because he's their captain.

I've spoken to Chelsea fans (they feel no need for FC) who support only Chelsea, such is their loyalty, and they knew that the appeal would work, not because the red card was unjust but because of who Terry is.

Let's hope the SFA don't look to the FA for lessons...

It was a professional foul, last man or not. Also, that Newcastle guy that broke the Hull guys leg is not getting an extended ban. Cue more leg-break tackles from the Geordie skanks next week.

Commander Harris

the card was given for serious foul play, not for a "professional foul".

serious foul play is when a player "uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is play". I don't think that was the case.

therefore the FA were right to overturn the card.

whether it was a "professional foul", i.e. if Terry stopped a clear goal-scoring opportunity, is another question.

I think some people might be reading the rules wrong.

It has nothing to do with being the last man, Jo was denied a clear goalscoring opportunity by John Terry taking him out.

Thats a red card.

That's not why he was sent off though.

Did he commit serious foul play?

No, therefore the decision was wrong

You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how homophobic it may be. :o

However, he's also a world-class footballer who plays for one of the world's greatest clubs, rather than a hoofballing cart horse who plays for a division three side who have lurched from one financial crisis to another and who once thought they were "good".

No - he plays for one of the world's currently most successful clubs. I'd have thought you, given the way you rightly ridicule those who claim Hearts have 400,000 fans, would understand the difference here. The world's greatest clubs include Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United, Juventus, AC Milan, Bayern Munich, Liverpool, Internazionale, Boca Juniors and River Plate - and no matter how much money Roman Abramovich might make available, Chelsea remain outside that exalted list.

We shall see. ;)

He might not get to take another penalty in the final but I'm confident Chelsea FC and John Terry will get there again - and win. :) The adventure starts tonight - blue is the colour ;)

I fully expect Chelsea to win the EPL by a distance, and be there or thereabouts in the CL - but with the final being in Italy, I've a hunch Jose will take revenge on you there, and Inter finally get the monkey off their backs.

or the real reason he is believed to have been sent off by Graham Poll at White Hart Lane in 06/7.

Do tell.

I fully expect Chelsea to win the EPL by a distance, and be there or thereabouts in the CL - but with the final being in Italy, I've a hunch Jose will take revenge on you there, and Inter finally get the monkey off their backs.

If that happened I would laugh so hard that that I would need a new pair of trousers afterwards.

The Real Maroonblood
You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how homophobic it may be. :o

However, he's also a world-class footballer who plays for one of the world's greatest clubs, rather than a hoofballing cart horse who plays for a division three side who have lurched from one financial crisis to another and who once thought they were "good".

As I suspected all along you are the biggest slavering erse on Kickback.

:)

Seymour M Hersh
Google 'John Terry' and 'Ledley King'. :cool:

I wonder if it was true? Nasty piece of work if correct. Should have sued had it been a lie.

Archived