EPL shows us how it's done - Terry red card rescinded

Therapist

The great John Terry, captain of Chelsea FC, gets an unwarranted red card on Saturday. The decision is appealed and the authorities reverse the decision. Quite right too. :)

It seems a perfectly straight forward and reasonable process to me, so why won't the SFA/GFA ever take similar action?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/7614903.stm

The great John Terry, captain of Chelsea FC, gets an unwarranted red card on Saturday. The decision is appealed and the authorities reverse the decision. Quite right too. :)

It seems a perfectly straight forward and reasonable process to me, so why won't the SFA/GFA ever take similar action?

i thought the refs decision was one of the best i've seen in years from a ref! Terry knows excatly what he is doing and knows he will get away with it ! The FA have bottled it and have shown people that it is ok to cheat as long as you play for England !

They did, for Takis Fyssas's red against Celtic in New Year 2006.

I appreciate that, but how many times does it happen relative to the number of serious incidents? Hardly ever. :o

The EPL on the other hand seems to have a robust system that functions frequently and well.

Incidentally, John Terry is a model professional. Fact.

Shouldn't have been rescinded. They can't change it to a yellow card so Chelsea would have to prove it wasn't worth a yellow either.

It was a deliberate foul.

Pathetic.

The FA have a history of bowing down to the captain of England. Remember when Shearer stamped on Lhennon. Basicaly if Shearer was gonna get charged he wasn't gonna play for England again, the result no charge.

In other news, Chelsea looked very handy at the weekend i thought. Joe Cole was especially sharp.

Yes, we're looking good and I suspect Bordeaux will feel the full force of the Chelsea FC hurricane tonight. Sadly, I won't be there to see it as my work has implemented an emergency-only travel policy. :sad:

Remember when Shearer stamped on Lhennon.

I do. Nothing wrong with that. He was doing a good deed on behalf of the populace. :)

Never thought I'd see the day when you were sticking up for Lhennon. :eek: You ok mate? :o

Nothing against Chelsea and I think Terry is a good player. But I loathe him as a person and I think he is a bit of w*nk stain if I am being honest.

:)

Yes, we're looking good and I suspect Bordeaux will feel the full force of the Chelsea FC hurricane tonight. Sadly, I won't be there to see it as my work has implemented an emergency-only travel policy. :sad:

Who'll be laying out the biscuits at the next Managers meeting then? :sad:

Who'll be laying out the biscuits at the next Managers meeting then? :sad:

No idea. The biscuits have gone the same way as our travel. :(

I appreciate that, but how many times does it happen relative to the number of serious incidents? Hardly ever. :o

The EPL on the other hand seems to have a robust system that functions frequently and well.

Incidentally, John Terry is a model professional. Fact.

Now thats just fishing!:laugh:

Shouldn't have been rescinded. They can't change it to a yellow card so Chelsea would have to prove it wasn't worth a yellow either.

Pathetic.

Never a truer word said.

I was hoping he would get an extra couple of games added on.. But thats purely through red tinted glasses. It was a harsh red card IMO. He knew what he was doing but was in no way the last man and just did enough to take the player out.

I do. Nothing wrong with that. He was doing a good deed on behalf of the populace. :)

Never thought I'd see the day when you were sticking up for Lhennon. :eek: You ok mate? :o

I wasn't sticking up for that *****, mealry pointing out that the FA are bottle merchants when it come to their captains.

Pathetic.

Really? I've learned something new then.

Two things in fact - apparently rugby tackles don't warrant even a yellow card.....if your name is John Terry.

FWIW I thought a yellow card would have sufficed at the time.

John Terry is a crybaby southern batty boy.

You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how homophobic it may be. :o

However, he's also a world-class footballer who plays for one of the world's greatest clubs, rather than a hoofballing cart horse who plays for a division three side who have lurched from one financial crisis to another and who once thought they were "good".

I was puzzled when they said on the telly that the 4th official had said it was for "serious foul play"...seems to me the ref quickly decided he'd made a mistake and decided to call it that, knowing an appeal would be successful. Had it been deemed "preventing a goal scoring opportunity", which one could argue it was, then Chelsea's case would have been pretty flimsy.

You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how homophobic it may be. :o

However, he's also a world-class footballer who plays for one of the world's greatest clubs, rather than a hoofballing cart horse who plays for a division three side who have lurched from one financial crisis to another and who once thought they were "good".

If only he could keep his feet and stroke that penalty home.

Once in a lifetime chance as well.

Once in a lifetime chance as well.

We shall see. ;)

He might not get to take another penalty in the final but I'm confident Chelsea FC and John Terry will get there again - and win. :) The adventure starts tonight - blue is the colour ;)

We shall see. ;)

He might not get to take another penalty in the final but I'm confident Chelsea FC and John Terry will get there again - and win. :) The adventure starts tonight - blue is the colour ;)

If Heart of Midlothian FC ever meet chelski in european competition (unlikely i know) who would you be cheering on?

Chad Sexington
We shall see. ;)

That's the the kind of bulldog spirit that won the Punjab Therapist. ;)

I actually think you'll do well in the CL and EPL under big Phil. You're certainly easier on the eye football wise

I'll certainly be watching your game tonight rather than human sleeping pills Liverpool FC. :mad:

We shall see. ;)

We shall see Therpaist.

Lets just hope you play some decent stuff this year (the signs are better) -last year was a bore fest.

It's just been on Sky Sports again, i must admit to feeling a bit sorry for JT.

One of the worlds greatest clubs though?

AC Milan

Ajax

Manchester United

Barcelona

Juventus

Real Madrid

Bayern Munich

Liverpool

Chelsea are nowhere near there i'm afraid.

Chelsea looked very good on saturday. Interesting point from Lee Dixon on MOTD, in that big Phil is releasing the full backs as per the Brazilian national side. It looked like Ashley Cole was back to his form when he was with Arsenal.

Guest gorgie kev

Still detained at Her Majestys pleasure then?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

It was a terrible decision.

John Terry is the biggest bottle merchant in world football though. He was responsible for Chelsea FC losing the UEFA Champions League final to Manchester United FC. :sad:

always a jambo

JT should've only got a yellow for that challenge anyway. I think that if a red card is taken back then a yellow should take its place instead of the player getting off scot free.

Guest jambomickey

for once i agree with you 100%

Personally I'd like to have seen the Red card stand. exactly the kind of cynical foul that the term 'Professional' foul should be referring to. No attempt to win the ball and arguably violent conduct after throwing a payer to the floor.

This is where football is all wrong in my opinion. A player making a genuine attempt to play the ball and clipping a player in the box when the last man gets a penalty aainst him and a red card. Big bawface Terry rugby tackles a player when Man City have a 2 on 1 break and gets it rescinded.

See also Red cards for violent conduct like Jeremie Aliadiere's at Liverpool last season compared to players who'll boot someone up in the air with the ball long gone and get a booking.

Spirirt of the game, that's what they should be looking for.

Personally I'd like to have seen the Red card stand. exactly the kind of cynical foul that the term 'Professional' foul should be referring to. No attempt to win the ball and arguably violent conduct after throwing a payer to the floor.

This is where football is all wrong in my opinion. A player making a genuine attempt to play the ball and clipping a player in the box when the last man gets a penalty aainst him and a red card. Big bawface Terry rugby tackles a player when Man City have a 2 on 1 break and gets it rescinded.

See also Red cards for violent conduct like Jeremie Aliadiere's at Liverpool last season compared to players who'll boot someone up in the air with the ball long gone and get a booking.

Spirirt of the game, that's what they should be looking for.

That's how it should be ........cos JT was taking out his opponent one way or the other, end of !

I don't understand how the ref called it serious foul play though ( as it never came into that category surely ) and one can only guess he's made that claim, in light of Carvalho's covering run, to give himself an 'out' when it's re-examined

i thought the refs decision was one of the best i've seen in years from a ref! Terry knows excatly what he is doing and knows he will get away with it ! The FA have bottled it and have shown people that it is ok to cheat as long as you play for England !

I agree with you. It was done deliberatly and it defo stopped a goal scoring attack even if it's not the "last man" (made up commentators phrase anyway) or there was one guy covering. so the red card is correct.

On first viewing, I thought it was a red card and after watching the replay I thought it was a red card. It was utterly cynical and I do not think that Carvalho etc would have prevented that Man City player getting through on goal. Just because there is a player within ten yards does not mean there is cover and they can stop a goalscoring opportunity.

Vidic's one against Liverpool was a clear red care - no way any Man United player was stopping a goal scoring opportunity.

Never a red card. Now he'll be fit and fresh for the Mancs.

In fact, Scolari should take him, Lampard and Cole off now for the Man U game, the game is finished.

Feet up boys.

The Old Tolbooth

What a complete load of pish!

I don't like Chelsea as much as the next person but I saw the sending off and it was the wrong decision by the ref, nothing else!

That was a tremendous win by Chelsea FC last night and bodes well for our Champions League campaign.

Blue is the colour. :)

Seymour M Hersh
What a complete load of pish!

I don't like Chelsea as much as the next person but I saw the sending off and it was the wrong decision by the ref, nothing else!

Not seen it John and perhaps it should never have been a straight red. Bottom line it was and the FA have made a James Hunt of things by rescinding it. The rule is, as far as I'm aware though it may have changed, that you can rescind one yellow if a player is sent off via 2 yellow cards. You cannot downgrade a straight red to a yellow the same way as you cannot (after the fact) upgrade a yellow to a red. So from that point of view Demento has a fair gripe.

I think some people might be reading the rules wrong.

It has nothing to do with being the last man, Jo was denied a clear goalscoring opportunity by John Terry taking him out.

Thats a red card.

Archived