McDonald Wants Out.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Sorry if this has been posted before, I couldn't see it anywhere.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/?q=node/200594

McDonald wants Hearts loan exit

15.09.08 | tribalfootball.com

Hearts goalkeeper Jamie McDonald wants a loan move away after being dropped following their defeat to Rangers.

MacDonald said: "It's been a strange start to the season.

"I expected to be on the bench but all of a sudden I was starting against Rangers. I played well but the next weekend I was out again, which was disappointing. I did well enough to merit keeping my place.

"I didn't expect to be undisputed No.1 but hoped the gaffer could give me a wee run of games as a trial period. If he felt I wasn't ready after that I'd have found the situation more acceptable.

"I felt let down that I didn't get the chance to play in another couple of games. The manager put Marian (Kello) in against St Mirren and says I'm in his mind for the future.

"But I need to play. My loan spell last year was good and allowed me to play in big games like the Scottish Cup Final.

"If there's a chance to go out on loan, and the gaffer agrees, that would be better for me.

"Then I can come back and show the manager I'm ready to play for Hearts."

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats fair enough from him. Going out on loan would help his development because i can't see him playing many games here this season.

I hope he gets his loan move as sitting on the bench won't do anything for his game and tbh he's not been given much of a chance to prove his worth here has he?. Hope it doesn't put him in Vlads bad book though.

It is faintly ludicrous to try to judge goalkeepers on the pre match warm ups - but at Falkirk MacDonald looked like a goalkeeper whereas at Hamilton Balogh got near little and guddled what he did get near.

Exactly what I said at the time. All footballers want is a fair crack of the whip. He did nothing wrong to be dropped at Ibrox.

Its interesting that Kello was deemed to need a chance to prove himself after MacDonald had 1 game, but Banogh has not been deemed worthy of getting a chance to prove himself - even though he is only here for 6 months initially.

If we needed to see how Kello performed after a keeper had done quite well in a game, why havent we needed to see how Banogh can perform, even though Kello has done OK?

Francis Albert

Players get dropped after "doing nothing wrong" all the time. If there is a better option available. So far no reason to believe that is not what happened. McDonald himself didn't expect to be first choice. Why should "doing nothing wrong" in one game change that?

Guest JamboRobbo
Players get dropped after "doing nothing wrong" all the time. If there is a better option available. So far no reason to believe that is not what happened. McDonald himself didn't expect to be first choice. Why should "doing nothing wrong" in one game change that?

Because if you do nothing wrong and get dropped anyway, you end up with unhappy ad demotivated footballers. Jamie McDonald being the curret example.

If you want to get the best out of players, players need to know that how they perform makes a difference. That doing well will be rewarded, and that doing poorly will get you dropped. Without that, well we've witnessed the effects over the past couple of years.....

Sorry but i havent seen anything from Kello to merit him being infront of McDonald, both have done well but for me McDonald has more promise and to me is the better option. If he leaves on loan this season it will be the last we will ever see of him cause he is not a number two, especially not behind Kello.

Funny that the "lets see how they do" attitude has been thrown out the window now that we have a Kaunas star in goals!! A bit like how all the young boys have been told to wait there turn and earn there place but number 16 gets a game what a week after arriving from Kaunas!!

So why, if the basis for Kello getting a game was that we needed to see him in action, has he not been dropped after "doing nothing wrong" to see if Banogh is the better option? Dont we need to see him in action?

Why did it stop at the Kaunas guy?

Should be fined a couple of weeks wages for speaking out in the press.

That is soooo 5 seasons ago

He should be prevented from playing for any of the Hearts teams until his contract runs out.....

It must be disheartening for someone his age and ability to be dropped after one game, Especially as he done nothing wrong and looked solid for Queens last season.

Would have loved to see him get a run of games this season :(

I like Kello - he commands his box which is something we have not had for a long time and is distribution is good - he likes to get the ball to the fullbacks early.

As for Jamie Mac - I thought he deserved his chance and played well enough at Ibrox - he should have been given an extended run. He didn't but I am happy with keeper we have though.

He's killing the club more every day.

:P

Thing is...

This should have been kept indoors IMO.

As much as he no doubt has a point, speaking so open in the press is not going to do him any favours.

A sign of inexperience from a young player.

Guest JamboRobbo
Thing is...

As much as he no doubt has a point, speaking so open in the press is not going to do him any favours.

I think it's just what footballers do when they feel hard done by. They speak out.

That sort of thing annoys me. Why is he telling the press? Is he touting himself? Pfft. I'm impressed that he wants to play and by all accounts, he seems to have the makings of a decent keeper but he's in no way, shape or form the finished article. If he sticks around for a while to take the chances when they come then fine, but he can't do that if he's not here.

I know he's young and impatient...he just wants to play...but if he wants to play at SPL level then he has to 'play the game' and bide his time, just like everyone else. He doesn't need to go blabbing to the press about things that, at this point, should only be conversations between him and Csaba Laszlo.

More practice and professionalism, less gabbing to journalists Jamie.

It must be disheartening for someone his age and ability to be dropped after one game, Especially as he done nothing wrong and looked solid for Queens last season.

Would have loved to see him get a run of games this season :(

Yes, but he'd better get used to it because until he's good enough to make the no.1 jersey his own, that's exactly how life is going to be.

It's disheartening, but it was made clear at the time that Csaba was looking at his goalkeeping options and that there were others in the frame.

That sort of thing annoys me. Why is he telling the press? Is he touting himself? Pfft. I'm impressed that he wants to play and by all accounts, he seems to have the makings of a decent keeper but he's in no way, shape or form the finished article. If he sticks around for a while to take the chances when they come then fine, but he can't do that if he's not here.

I know he's young and impatient...he just wants to play...but if he wants to play at SPL level then he has to 'play the game' and bide his time, just like everyone else. He doesn't need to go blabbing to the press about things that, at this point, should only be conversations between him and Csaba Laszlo.

More practice and professionalism, less gabbing to journalists Jamie.

Thank you.

I do feel for him btw- but there are ways of going about things.

jack D and coke
Sorry but i havent seen anything from Kello to merit him being infront of McDonald, both have done well but for me McDonald has more promise and to me is the better option. If he leaves on loan this season it will be the last we will ever see of him cause he is not a number two, especially not behind Kello.

Funny that the "lets see how they do" attitude has been thrown out the window now that we have a Kaunas star in goals!! A bit like how all the young boys have been told to wait there turn and earn there place but number 16 gets a game what a week after arriving from Kaunas!!

Some wont ever see it that way unfortunately. Good post.

Thank you.

I do feel for him btw- but there are ways of going about things.

Oh yeah, definitely. Like you say, it's just a sign of inexperience.

I don't like that he's speaking with the press about these things, but I do understand why he's doing it. I'm pleased he's keen but there are other ways to demonstrate that.

Chad Sexington
Thing is...

It wouldn't surprise me if he's been a bit led on slightly by the journo.

He's young and impatient and probably thought/was led to believe, this could be his season.

From Scottish Cup finalist to Hearts 3rd choice keeper in the space of a couple of months is probably a sore one for him.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's been a bit led on slightly by the journo.

He's young and impatient and probably thought/was led to believe, this could be his season.

From Scottish Cup finalist to Hearts 3rd choice keeper in the space of a couple of months is probably a sore one for him.

Taken from today's EEN...

"I will talk with Jamie about this because nobody spoke to me about this problem," he said. "I can't say anything about it until I speak privately with Jamie.

"I heard about what he told the newspapers so I want to clear the situation up. Jamie is a good goalkeeper and we need his services. You never know what can happen in the future and in every team you need three good goalkeepers."

Silly silly boy.

Chad Sexington

"I will talk with Jamie about this because nobody spoke to me about this problem," he said. "I can't say anything about it until I speak privately with Jamie.

"I heard about what he told the newspapers so I want to clear the situation up. Jamie is a good goalkeeper and we need his services. You never know what can happen in the future and in every team you need three good goalkeepers."

Silly silly boy.

Someone's about to be Csaba'd. :eek:

Someone's about to be Csaba'd. :eek:

Like you say, a journalist will know how to get something out of a young player who is maybe not so media clued up as others.

"WHAT WERE YOU THINKING JIMMY!!!"

;)

Silly silly boy.

Oh dear. Hope Csaba goes easy on him. :sad:

Lesson learned methinks, Jamie.

Guest JamboRobbo

I think we should just ignore Jamies valid complaint, and all say how great Csaba is again. Isn't Csaba just the greatest? I wish I could have his babies. :P

Guest JamboRobbo

Silly silly boy.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks that perhaps Csaba could've thought about that BEFORE dropping Jamie for no reason, which was always likely to make Jamie feel unwanted and unappreciated and like he's not getting a fair crack of the whip.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks that perhaps Csaba could've thought about that BEFORE dropping Jamie for no reason, which was always likely to make Jamie feel unwanted and unappreciated and like he's not getting a fair crack of the whip.

Did Csaba drop him or did Vlad say - "Csaba play Kello in goals from now on"

He's young, he's lacking in first team experience and Csaba had made it clear at the time that there were others in contention.

If Jamie can't handle that, maybe he's in the wrong profession.

Guest JamboRobbo
He's young, he's lacking in first team experience and Csaba had made it clear at the time that there were others in contention.

If Jamie can't handle that, maybe he's in the wrong profession.

You're entitled to your opinion, but you'll be surprised to hear I disagree. :smile:

IMO, all footballers ever want is fairness and clarity. Work hard, get your chance. Take your chance, stay in the team. Blow your chance, get dropped. Not adhering to that causes poor morale and demotivates those who feel they are not getting a fair chance.

I think Jamie is just reacting the way any footballer does when they feel they are being unfairly treated.

It is faintly ludicrous to try to judge goalkeepers on the pre match warm ups - but at Falkirk MacDonald looked like a goalkeeper whereas at Hamilton Balogh got near little and guddled what he did get near.

Would agree with that, Coco. He looked a really classy keeper in his warm-up stint but Kello also looks the part and I think he'll stay as our first choice.

I think we should just ignore Jamies valid complaint, and all say how great Csaba is again. Isn't Csaba just the greatest? I wish I could have his babies. :P

How good Csaba is or isnt, its not the issue JR.

A player has spoken out in the press without discussing things with the manager first.

Rather silly thing to do.

Guest JamboRobbo

Watch yourself Coco. After watching Kurskis warm up at Ibrox a couple of years back, I said he didn't look like a keeper and struggled to catch anything. I got absolutely slated on here.......can't judge a player in a warm up etc etc etc...........fast forward a year, Kurskis plays at Ibrox, and the rest is history......

You're entitled to your opinion, but you'll be surprised to hear I disagree. :smile:

IMO, all footballers ever want is fairness and clarity. Work hard, get your chance. Take your chance, stay in the team. Blow your chance, get dropped. I think Jamie is just reacting the way any footballer does when they feel they are being unfairly treated.

Who says he has been unfairly treated? He hasn't even spoken about this stuff with Csaba directly...isn't that a little unfair too? Isn't there a need to be a little more even handed with the criticism in this scenario? You think Csaba might not have made this decision unaided, but you know that Jamie has acted with a lack of professionalism.

He was given a chance and for whatever reason, Csaba prefers to play someone else. That's his prerogative, it's his job and he's paid to make these decisions. Whether you agree with them or not is a different matter.

But I quite agree with the rest of the statement, I hope he does work hard and get his chance. He can't do that if he's not here though.

Guest JamboRobbo
Who says he has been unfairly treated?

Jamie.

He hasn't even spoken about this stuff with Csaba directly...isn't that a little unfair too?

Depends WHY they haven't spoken directly. Has the opportunity been there, or not.

To me, the conversation should've taken place when Csaba decided to drop him. I'd be surprised if that conversation did't take place. Csaba should've explained why, and ensured that Jamie accepted that.

It would appear that the last part at least (Jamie accepting Csabas reasoning why he was dropped) didn't happen.

Isn't there a need to be a little more even handed with the criticism in this scenario? You think Csaba might not have made this decision unaided, but you know that Jamie has acted with a lack of professionalism.

He was given a chance and for whatever reason, Csaba prefers to play someone else. That's his prerogative, it's his job and he's paid to make these decisions. Whether you agree with them or not is a different matter.

He's also paid to get the best out of the SQUAD, which includes ensuring as many as possible in the squad are happy and motivated.

For me, if a player gets a chance, and takes it, he should stay in the team. Failure to do that results in players feeling like Jamie feels, regardless of whether or not you feel they should air these feelings in public.

Jamie.

Something he might have been better off saying directly to the manager, no?

Depends WHY they haven't spoken directly. Has the opportunity been there' date=' or not.

To me, the conversation should've taken place when Csaba decided to drop him. I'd be surprised if that conversation did't take place. Csaba should've explained why, and ensured that Jamie accepted that.

It would appear that the last part at least (Jamie accepting Csabas reasoning why he was dropped) didn't happen.

He's also paid to get the best out of the SQUAD, which includes ensuring as many as possible in the squad are happy and motivated.

For me, if a player gets a chance, and takes it, he should stay in the team. Failure to do that results in players feeling like Jamie feels, regardless of whether or not you feel they should air these feelings in public.[/quote']

Now you're just guessing at things and really, we have no idea what has and hasn't been said in that respect. All we do know is that Jamie hasn't told Csaba he wasn't happy about it - he told the press. That's the issue here.

IMO, all footballers ever want is fairness and clarity. Work hard, get your chance. Take your chance, stay in the team. Blow your chance, get dropped. Not adhering to that causes poor morale and demotivates those who feel they are not getting a fair chance.

I think Jamie is just reacting the way any footballer does when they feel they are being unfairly treated.

2 seasons ago when Craig Gordon was left out the team Steve Banks got his chance for 5 or 6 games and conceded only 1 goal ... but there was a big stushie until CG got his place back and you advocated playing our strongest team which included Gordon despite Banks having done little or nothing wrong....if Kello is the best option and makes the team stronger then should he be first pick to play?

Guest JamboRobbo
Something he might have been better off saying directly to the manager, no?

I don't believe for a second that this has reached the papers without any indication being given to Csaba. If you believe that, fair enough.

Now you're just guessing at things and really, we have no idea what has and hasn't been said in that respect. All we do know is that Jamie hasn't told Csaba he wasn't happy about it - he told the press. That's the issue here.

You're entitled to your opinion.

Personally, I think the issue, once again, is player X from Hearts being dropped to make way for player Y from Kaunus, resulting in player X feeling confused (as to what is expected of him) unhappy (at being dropped) and demotivated (as he doesn't feel that working hard will get him anywhere).

2 seasons ago when Craig Gordon was left out the team Steve Banks got his chance for 5 or 6 games and conceded only 1 goal ... but there was a big stushie until CG got his place back and you advocated playing our strongest team which included Gordon despite Banks having done little or nothing wrong....if Kello is the best option and makes the team stronger then should he be first pick to play?

You are not seriously trying to justify Craig Gordon, the best goalkeeper in Britain vindictively being left out of the team to 'rest'? Surely not?:eek:

Guest JamboRobbo

In the long term, yes. But as far as dropping JM after Ibrox, no, that shouldn't have happeed.

The difference between dropping Banks for Gordon and dropping McDonald for Kello, was that he had proven his qualities in the Hearts first team over a long period of time. Kello had only just arrived and had proven nothing. He should've had to wait his turn.

You are not seriously trying to justify Craig Gordon, the best goalkeeper in Britain vindictively being left out of the team to 'rest'? Surely not?:eek:

No I just wanted to know if JR still believes we should pick the strongest team or if players who take their chance should retain their place even if there is a stronger option available? - but he's answered that. :)

How good Csaba is or isnt, its not the issue JR.

A player has spoken out in the press without discussing things with the manager first.

Rather silly thing to do.

The guy has answered a few questions honestly and without malce and yet he is being savaged on his own teams messageboard.

Archived