McDonald Wants Out.

Chad Sexington

The guy has answered a few questions honestly and without malce and yet he is being savaged on his own teams messageboard.

You are missing the point.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JamboRobbo
You are missing the point.

Not necessarily. I think there are differing opinions as to what the point is.

For me, yes Jamie could have handled it in house. But that isn't the root of the issue IMO.

Jamie not speaking out wouldn't have solved the problem, it would just've hidden it from the fans. The problem (player feeling unhappy at being dropped for no apparent reason), would still have existed.

The real root of the problem though, is why is the favouritism towards players from certain teams is happening in the first place.....IMO, the answer is staring us all in the face.

In the long term, yes. But as far as dropping JM after Ibrox, no, that shouldn't have happeed.

The difference between dropping Banks for Gordon and dropping McDonald for Kello, was that he had proven his qualities in the Hearts first team over a long period of time. Kello had only just arrived and had proven nothing. He should've had to wait his turn.

In answer to some of your comments on this thread

1. Csaba stated from the start he wanted a keeper with experience and when that keeper was ready he would be in the team in the mean time McDonald was put in.

2. McDonald was told clearly that he would not be the first choice due to the fact that he didnt have the experience if he didnt know this i suggest he was wearing headphones throughout training and didnt read a newspaper.

3. Kello was to be given a trial game as was Balogh and the decision on who would be number 1 would come from how well they did McDonald was never in that equation due to lack of experience.

4. Kello took his chance and while Csaba believes Balogh is the better keeper in training he will not remove Kello as he has done nothing wrong.

Now McDonald hadnt done anything wrong but he was told he didnt have the experience to be the No1 and that he had to wait for his chance regardless of playing against Rangers.

I suggest that he accepted this from our manager at the time and has since changed his mind and feels a loan spell is a good move.

However he should speak to the boss not the papers.

I don't believe for a second that this has reached the papers without any indication being given to Csaba. If you believe that, fair enough.

So what about Csaba's comments in the paper? Is he just fibbing? Come on JR, you're completely clouding the issue here.

You're entitled to your opinion.

Personally' date=' I think the issue, once again, is player X from Hearts being dropped to make way for player Y from Kaunus, resulting in player X feeling confused (as to what is expected of him) unhappy (at being dropped) and demotivated (as he doesn't feel that working hard will get him anywhere).[/quote']

It's definitely not a scenario involving 3 new keepers all competing for the jersey and one maybe being a little young and inexperienced, therefore he is asked to work hard and demonstrate why he deserves a shot at it?

Jamie not speaking out wouldn't have solved the problem, it would just've hidden it from the fans.

Some times..... ignroance is bliss.

Not necessarily. I think there are differing opinions as to what the point is.

For me, yes Jamie could have handled it in house. But that isn't the root of the issue IMO.

Jamie not speaking out wouldn't have solved the problem, it would just've hidden it from the fans. The problem (player feeling unhappy at being dropped for no apparent reason), would still have existed.

Jamie speaking to the manager first rather than the press might have helped the problem.

Now we have a situation where a player has come out and said he is unhappy with the way things have happened, only for the manager to come out and say its news to him.

Pretty sure Csaba will be ****ed off with being questioned on an unhappy player without knowing there was a problem.

No matter how much some think Macdonald is right in what he is saying, you do not go to the press without speaking to the manager first.

For someone who is inexperienced in the game, but has played quite a few games on loan, played for his country at under 21's and been about a few dressing rooms - it really is a huge clanger from Macdonald, who should know better.

Guest JamboRobbo
In answer to some of your comments on this thread

1. Csaba stated from the start he wanted a keeper with experience and when that keeper was ready he would be in the team in the mean time McDonald was put in.

2. McDonald was told clearly that he would not be the first choice due to the fact that he didnt have the experience if he didnt know this i suggest he was wearing headphones throughout training and didnt read a newspaper.

3. Kello was to be given a trial game as was Balogh and the decision on who would be number 1 would come from how well they did McDonald was never in that equation due to lack of experience.

After Banksgate, I distinctly remember Csaba saying we had 3 keepers who would compete for the spot. Hardly "clearly telling him" that he would not be first choice.

Guest JamboRobbo
Jamie speaking to the manager first rather than the press might have helped the problem.

Depends what you think the problem is. If you think the problem is that the fans found out, then I agree, Jamie not speaking out would've solved the problem.

IMO, the problem runs way deeper than a player giving his opinion in the paper though.

After Banksgate, I distinctly remember Csaba saying we had 3 keepers who would compete for the spot. Hardly "clearly telling him" that he would not be first choice.

Hardly telling him that he would be first choice either though, is it?

And are you sure he didn't just say that he wanted three keepers to compete for the top spot when speaking about the Banks moving to a coaching role thing and Balogh coming over?

Good to see him wanting to stay and fight for his place then.

Whats the point if he gets dropped for no particular reason?

As Scotlands under 21 keeper, with first team experience at QoS it appears it would actually be better for his career if he moved on

Does he have to sacrifice his career just so that he doesnt disrupt or expose flaws in Vlad's masterplan?

Guest JamboRobbo
Hardly telling him that he would be first choice either though, is it?

I don't recall him saying that about any of the keepers. It would appear Kello has gotten the nod by default though.

And are you sure he didn't just say that he wanted three keepers to compete for the top spot when speaking about the Banks moving to a coaching role thing and Balogh coming over?

Can't remember exact details. I know that he wasn't saying what JamboElite claims though (that Mcdonald was never in the frame and knew that all along)

Depends what you think the problem is. If you think the problem is that the fans found out, then I agree, Jamie not speaking out would've solved the problem.

IMO, the problem runs way deeper than a player giving his opinion in the paper though.

Does not matter how big or small the problem is, JR - would it not be wise to want to speak to the manager about it before airing it in public?

Guest JamboRobbo
Does not matter how big or small the problem is, JR - would it not be wise to want to speak to the manager about it before airing it in public?

Obviously thats a given it'd be wise to speak to the manager first. But that still isn't the real issue here. IMO. Young player saying something to the papers when he maybe shouldn't have - big deal.

The real issue, is the continuation of what we've seen repeatedly over a long period of time. players becoming unhappy or demotivated, because they feel they aren't getting a fair chance.

He stated he needed 3 good goalkeepers competing however his number 1 would have to be a keeper of experience.(this came from the man himself and from other articles in the press which im sure i could look out if i could be .....

So yes i do think he's made it clear it clear states to me work hard do well and we will slowly build up your experience rather than throw you in for an entire season at the deep end.

For a man who talks as passionately as Csaba does and who all the players have said is enthusiastic and talks to them all the time in training about what he wants and expects from them i find it strange that all of a sudden McDonald feels all isolated and alone and wants out.

The fact that Csaba himself is unaware of this dont you think that indicated McDonald hasnt mentioned it to anyone other than the press.

If he had a problem after the initial chat about the number 1 spot why not bring it back up with the boss.

Maybe cause he's young and a little stupid and instead went straight to the press.

That is hardly Hearts fault if he was comfortable with what was discussed only to change his mind and not tell anyone.

But actually its all the Kaunas loan players fault, or Vlad or the Council or Korbotchka or Csaba cannae be that a young inexperience goalie has just had a bit of a sulk.

Chad Sexington

Can't remember exact details. I know that he wasn't saying what JamboElite claims though (that Mcdonald was never in the frame)

There's a fairly hefty hint that he wont be involved in this article though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/7556621.stm

"The position is not a big problem for us as we have Steve Banks and two very good young keepers, but they are perhaps not ready yet," said Laszlo.

Obviously thats a given it'd be wise to speak to the manager first. But that still isn't the real issue here. IMO. Young player saying something to the papers when he maybe shouldn't have - big deal.

The real issue, is the continuation of what we've seen repeatedly over a long period of time. players becoming unhappy or demotivated, because they feel they aren't getting a fair chance.

Thanks for the first sentance, JR - thats what Iv been on about!

As for the rest...

If Macdonald HAD spoken to the manager, he may have felt a bit better about things and not needed to speak out to the press.

Situation avoided.

:)

I don't recall him saying that about any of the keepers. It would appear Kello has gotten the nod by default though.

Or maybe he's just a better keeper? Is that such a wild idea?

Can't remember exact details. I know that he wasn't saying what JamboElite claims though (that Mcdonald was never in the frame)

i don't remember him ever saying that any specific keeper was ever in the frame. I just remember him saying that the jersey was there to be won as Banks was going to be a coach from now on.

There's a fairly hefty hint that he wont be involved in this article though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/7556621.stm

"The position is not a big problem for us as we have Steve Banks and two very good young keepers, but they are perhaps not ready yet," said Laszlo.

Thanks saved me looking that up and what was that 4 days prior to the Rangers game ?

Guest JamboRobbo

i don't remember him ever saying that any specific keeper was ever in the frame. I just remember him saying that the jersey was there to be won as Banks was going to be a coach from now on.

thats how I remember it too. So how would you expect McDonald to feel if he gets his chance at Ibrox, does nothing wrong, and is then dropped?

Guest JamboRobbo
Thanks for the first sentance, JR - thats what Iv been on about!

As for the rest...

If Macdonald HAD spoken to the manager, he may have felt a bit better about things and not needed to speak out to the press.

Situation avoided.

:)

If the manager was able to explain the reasons for the dropping, and convince the player that there was still a chance for him at the club......I don't think that would've been an easy thing to do given what had just happened.

Guest JamboRobbo
He stated he needed 3 good goalkeepers competing however his number 1 would have to be a keeper of experience.(this came from the man himself and from other articles in the press which im sure i could look out if i could be .....

None of our keepers have particularly much experience, Kello included.

So yes i do think he's made it clear it clear states to me work hard do well and we will slowly build up your experience rather than throw you in for an entire season at the deep end.

I think it says it doesn't matter what you do, we don't rate you so you have no chance.

For a man who talks as passionately as Csaba does and who all the players have said is enthusiastic and talks to them all the time in training about what he wants and expects from them i find it strange that all of a sudden McDonald feels all isolated and alone and wants out.

Me too. Do you think McDonald is harming the club every day?

The fact that Csaba himself is unaware of this dont you think that indicated McDonald hasnt mentioned it to anyone other than the press.

If he had a problem after the initial chat about the number 1 spot why not bring it back up with the boss.

So there WAS a chat now? You're saying Csaba and McDonald HAVE talked about this after all?

Guest JamboRobbo

He may well be a better keeper. But what do you think he had done at HMFC to prove that?

Exactly. He said the jersey was there to be won. Which it has since become apparent it wasn't. It was already on Kello's back, regardless of what McDonald did when he got his chance......

But what precisely does "experience" mean?

Is it simply age?

Does it mean a career in the 2nd division of the Czech league, and then with a moderate eastern european league with a few Euro games - but with no big team experience

or

Does it mean a career where he has been trained at a reasonably decent leagues 3rd biggest team, behind the best keeper in a generation, coached by the Scotland goalie coach, part of a highly successful International under 20 / under 21 team, and an experience in a major cup final?

In this case it appears to mean age.

Which is just nonsense, is it not??

thats how I remember it too. So how would you expect McDonald to feel if he gets his chance at Ibrox, does nothing wrong, and is then dropped?

I would also expect that it might not be the best feeling in the world but that's still no excuse for huffing and going off to speak to the press.

It's disrespectful and unprofessional. It's a learning curve for him though. I doubt he actually went to the press just to speak to them about this anyway, or at least I hope he didn't...

None of our keepers have particularly much experience, Kello included.

I think it says it doesn't matter what you do, we don't rate you so you have no chance.

Me too. Do you think McDonald is harming the club every day?

So there WAS a chat now? You're saying Csaba and McDonald HAVE talked about this after all?[/QUOTE]

Point 1.

No i dont think it does say that it says wait for your chance you have potential but we dont want you under immediate scrutiny for every mistake you make as you are still young and learning.

Point2

As it was in the papers from Csaba saying that although he had some young goalkeepers perhaps they arent ready 12/08/08 i would suggest that there was a chat about needing a keeper with experience and this was had along time ago as per the article pre Rangers game with all the keepers.

In which case if he hasnt mentioned it since he appeared to have accepted the decision but now seems to want to talk to the papers ?

But what precisely does "experience" mean?

Is it simply age?

Does it mean a career in the 2nd division of the Czech league, and then with a moderate eastern european league with a few Euro games - but with no big team experience

or

Does it mean a career where he has been trained at a reasonably decent leagues 3rd biggest team, behind the best keeper in a generation, coached by the Scotland goalie coach, part of a highly successful International under 20 / under 21 team, and an experience in a major cup final?

In this case it appears to mean age.

Which is just nonsense, is it not??

I would suggest it means someone who has had first team experience for a club (yes im aware he wasnt at a big club) who has learned his position over many years and someone who is able to handle mistakes and not let them get to him amongst other things.

That invariable means that your keeper is older but age is a biproduct of the amount of time it takes for you to be comfortable in certain situations as you have experienced them several times before.

Gordon was the exception to the rule for keepers experience for a keeper makes a difference i feel

He may well be a better keeper. But what do you think he had done at HMFC to prove that?

Exactly. He said the jersey was there to be won. Which it has since become apparent it wasn't. It was already on Kello's back, regardless of what McDonald did when he got his chance......

It could be many things...presumably Csaba has done his homework though and done much analysis of video from past games and made his own decisions based on what he sees everyday in training and not just one match of 90 minutes in which a keeper has very little to do.

I think we're at cross purposes anyway. I'm unhappy that Jamie has been daft enough to speak to the press and you seem to be annoyed that he wasn't picked instead of Kello. Two completely different issues.

Whats the point if he gets dropped for no particular reason?

As Scotlands under 21 keeper, with first team experience at QoS it appears it would actually be better for his career if he moved on

Does he have to sacrifice his career just so that he doesnt disrupt or expose flaws in Vlad's masterplan?

I'll see that point, and raise you...

(Ben) Foster made his debut for Manchester United on 15 March 2008 against Derby County, as Van der Sar was injured and Kuszczak was suspended, having been sent off against Portsmouth in the FA Cup quarter final the previous Saturday. United won the game 1-0[7], with Foster making two crucial saves en route to keeping a clean sheet. However, despite that performance, Ferguson did not start Foster for the match against Bolton Wanderers, and opted for Kuszczak after he served his suspension.

I'll see that point, and raise you...

You are a cheeky monkey

Kuszczak had been at United for over a year by that point and had already made his debut, was in the number 1 spot whilst Van der Sar was injured with Foster playing only because he was suspended

Jamie Mac was apparently challenging for the no 1 spot in an open 3 horse joust...

You are a cheeky monkey

Kuszczak had been at United for over a year by that point and had already made his debut, was in the number 1 spot whilst Van der Sar was injured with Foster playing only because he was suspended

Jamie Mac was apparently challenging for the no 1 spot in an open 3 horse joust...

Aye but - here's the crucial bit - Kuszczak is mince.

:D

Guest JamboRobbo
Has Jamie MacDonald considered hiring JamboRobbo to defend him to the club.

I've never seen someone with so much passion for a player being dropped in all my life.

I just want to see our team picked on merit.

I don't think Jamie McDonald did anything at Ibrox to merit being dropped.

And I don't think any of the other keepers had done anything for HMFC to merit taking his place from him.

I don't think thats an unreasonable point of view.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

If Romanov wants his youth strategy to be successful he has to sort stuff like this out. That's two stories this week of young players being hacked off at how things are going. Young players need plenty of support if they're going to make it in football. That doesn'yt just mean a good coach (although that's critical obviously) but somebody to keep them motivated, put an arm round them, develop them as people as well as players. Hearts, as far as I can see, have nobody the young players can look up to. Such a person would very probably have to be an ex-player, and more than likely a respected ex-player with a big personality. For reasons that are obvious when we're talking about 16 and 17-year-old kids Scottish kids, the guy should also be British or, at the very least, immersed in the British game. I'm not sure Romanov could stomach appointing such a person, and as aresult, our youth policy wioll never reap the rewards he hopes it will.

well maybe he should be given a chance. no clean sheets from kello and mcdonald played well vs rangers. Maybe he should start with kello on the bench. dont think balogh looked that great warming up so therefore get him back in the squad. if not send him on loan.

Guest JamboRobbo
I think JMac did well at Ibrox, but that Csaba has seen enough of him to be of the mind that he isn't the answer...just now anyway. Csaba has never hidden that point of view so it came as little surprise to me that Kello went in for the next game.

I don't think you hold an unreasonable point of view.

But 21 posts on one thread (more than a quarter of the posts on this thread) from you stating much the same thing over and again, is overkill. I don't think that's an unreasonable statement.

Only "debating" with those who respond to me with counter points.

well maybe he should be given a chance. no clean sheets from kello and mcdonald played well vs rangers. Maybe he should start with kello on the bench. dont think balogh looked that great warming up so therefore get him back in the squad. if not send him on loan.

But has our keeper done anything to cost us the goals NO

Has he looked good while playing for us so far YES

Does he have the experience our manager thinks our number 1 needs YES it would appear so as he holds the number 1 jersey.

And at the moment he holds it on merit.

Before JR comes in he holds it on merit meeting the criteria that our manager feels a number 1 should have i appreciate McDonald did nothing wrong against Rangers.

This is what I dont get

Everyone is delighted with Zali and everyone is saying that the choice of Kello is totally vindicated and everyone is saying that Kari in midfield is working well

Yet we were leaking goals left right and centre, and I cant think of seeing Kello making any outstanding saves....

Now that isnt to say Kello has made any mistakes necessarily but I am not sure any of us could say with any certainty that our goalkeeping position has improved since either the first game of the season or the Ibrox game.

siegementality
Players get dropped after "doing nothing wrong" all the time. If there is a better option available. So far no reason to believe that is not what happened. McDonald himself didn't expect to be first choice. Why should "doing nothing wrong" in one game change that?

You really couldn't make it up.

Some players, Kingston, who do NOTHING, still don't get dropped and Jamie Mac, who did nothing wrong and was praised for his performance by Csaba, is dropped.

I was under the belief that the whole Banks saga came about because Jamie Mac was ready to step up to the plate and Csaba wanted to give him his "chance". His "chance" seems to have lasted one game. Not much of a chance.

You really couldn't make it up.

Some players, Kingston, who do NOTHING, still don't get dropped and Jamie Mac, who did nothing wrong and was praised for his performance by Csaba, is dropped.

I was under the belief that the whole Banks saga came about because Jamie Mac was ready to step up to the plate and Csaba wanted to give him his "chance". His "chance" seems to have lasted one game. Not much of a chance.

Kingston i agree with but thats another story at no point has it been said (or maybe i missed it) that Banks moving out was because it was felt McDonald was the immediate answer.

The Banks saga was because Csaba didnt want the number 1 to be a coach and the goalkeeper at the same time.

GOD DAMN YOU Borthers to fast on that keyboard.

The Banks saga was because Csaba didnt want the number 1 to be a coach and the goalkeeper at the same time.

Although he did indicate Banks had a choice....:rolleyes:

siegementality
You are mistaken in your belief, Banks' move to the coaching staff came about because Csaba had been trying to bring in goalies all summer and finally secured Kello in the days leading up to Ibrox.

However he went with MacDonald in this game because Csaba felt he was in a better position to communicate with the centre halves, having trained with them for longer.

Again, Csaba has always stated he felt MacDonald was not experienced enough for the keeper gig full-time. That is on the record.

Sorry, I should have said part of the reason for the Banks saga was that MacDonad was felt good enough to replace Banks.

Seems strange that a player who played in a Scottish Cup final against Rioters, has Scotland under 21 experience, and has been at Hearts for several years doesn't have enough experience.

It is the chicken and the egg scenario, how can he get the experience when he can't get a game?

It is the chicken and the egg scenario, how can he get the experience when he can't get a game?

Or more to the point, how can anyone prove they are better than Kello if they dont get a game...

You are mistaken in your belief, Banks' move to the coaching staff came about because Csaba had been trying to bring in goalies all summer and finally secured Kello in the days leading up to Ibrox.

However he went with MacDonald in this game because Csaba felt he was in a better position to communicate with the centre halves, having trained with them for longer.

Again, Csaba has always stated he felt MacDonald was not experienced enough for the keeper gig full-time. That is on the record.

Shabba had nothing to do with securing him, Vlad told him here is your keeper and he MUST play every week!! Dont believe for one minute Shabba went "we really need a goal keeper were could i find one, oh i know that great Kaunas team has one" thats like me saying i need a really good suit i'll head to asda!!

And why does every one say that Kello has more experince than McDonald its just not true!! Both of them gained there experince playing in lessier leagues ( Kello for Kaunas and McDonald at QOTS ) if anything McDonald has more experince as he has played in a scottish major final and represents Scotland every game!

Kello has been good but i hate this every one gets a chance pash just say I dont have a choice so Kello is number one, at least we know were we stand!!

Guest JamboRobbo
Or more to the point, how can anyone prove they are better than Kello if they dont get a game...

Hit the nail on the head as usual.

siegementality

Especially when you were dropped, after doing nothing wrong, for the person you can't prove you're better than because you can't get a game (read it again it does make sense!).

If Romanov wants his youth strategy to be successful he has to sort stuff like this out. That's two stories this week of young players being hacked off at how things are going. Young players need plenty of support if they're going to make it in football. That doesn'yt just mean a good coach (although that's critical obviously) but somebody to keep them motivated, put an arm round them, develop them as people as well as players. Hearts, as far as I can see, have nobody the young players can look up to. Such a person would very probably have to be an ex-player, and more than likely a respected ex-player with a big personality. For reasons that are obvious when we're talking about 16 and 17-year-old kids Scottish kids, the guy should also be British or, at the very least, immersed in the British game. I'm not sure Romanov could stomach appointing such a person, and as aresult, our youth policy wioll never reap the rewards he hopes it will.

You mean like this? :)

http://sport.scotsman.com/heartofmidlothianfc/Father-figures-will-help-grow.4442976.jp

jamie mac did nothing to be droped at ibrox that is for sure, but now its a case of kello hasnt dont much wrong to be dropped either, and im sure csabas wanting to have a look at balogh, but wants to wait till their is a good reason to drop kello.

thing is their are now 3 keepers in first team contention, 4 if you count banks, and 2 youth keepers coming through, jamie needs to go out on loan to keep ticking over, he is still young and could do with another year away until the goal keeping situation at hearts becomes less 'crowded'

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Absolutely.

Although I dunno why we let guys like Neil McCann leave and keep Cervenkov around. I know who I could relate to if I was a 17-year-old from Coatbridge or somewhere like that.

EDIT - It's also, it should be said, four years late. Better late than never I suppose. But for somebody who puts such a supposed emphasis on youth Vlad hasn't really discovered anything approaching a truly promising youngster who has moved onto a bigger club, despite having three clubs!

Absolutely.

Although I dunno why we let guys like Neil McCann leave and keep Cervenkov around. I know who I could relate to if I was a 17-year-old from Coatbridge or somewhere like that.

EDIT - It's also, it should be said, four years late. Better late than never I suppose. But for somebody who puts such a supposed emphasis on youth Vlad hasn't really discovered anything approaching a truly promising youngster who has moved onto a bigger club, despite having three clubs!

There was an MTZ-Ripo striker who was at Zenit St Petersburg recently but the kid is only 18 or 19 and not even a full international yet so he'd have very little chance of getting a work permit for here.

I assume you aren't including the Hearts Academy players in your assertion?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
There was an MTZ-Ripo striker who was at Zenit St Petersburg recently but the kid is only 18 or 19 and not even a full international yet so he'd have very little chance of getting a work permit for here.

I assume you aren't including the Hearts Academy players in your assertion?

Well, I kind of am.

It hasn't exactly been prolific in the four years Vlad has been here. Gordon was established long before late-2004 and Berra was on his way. The only youngsters I can think of who have established themselves in the team since Vlad's arrival are Thomson, Wallace, Jonsson, Mole, Elliot and Driver. Only Driver comes close to being an unqualified success so far - and even he has only attracted interest from the Championship - nothing more than players from all the other SPL teams have done. The jury is well and truly still out on players like Rapnik, McGowan, Branny and Copil. Them being here alone doesn't prove the strategy is a success. It's whether they make it that will do that. If they don't make it, despite all the indications, there's something wrong with the system.

Jury's still out on Vlad's involvement with the Academy, IMO.

Archived