James McCarthy

Makween

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Irrelevant. This fud has picked Ireland over Scotland, not England.

And anyway, I'd pick Scotland.

How can it be irrelevant surely the whole point is he chose to play for another nation, rather than what nation he chose.

You're wrong. It matters if the reasons are bigotted!

And answer the question, how many Anglo Scots who chose Scotland were required by the English?

Who told you his reasons were bigoted???

And your reasons for Booing him???? Pots and Kettles VW!!! :rolleyes:

And don't give me the pesh "It's coz he chose Oirland over ra Scottish team!!"

If he had the chance and chose Wales, Engerland or NOTHERN IRELAND...I don't think you'd have been so p***** aff with him!! :cool:

loveofthegame
How can it be irrelevant surely the whole point is he chose to play for another nation, rather than what nation he chose.

You tried to use England as they are a higher ranked and better team than Scotland. Ireland are not so. Thus your comment was irrelevant.

You tried to use England as they are a higher ranked and better team than Scotland. Ireland are not so. Thus your comment was irrelevant.

Oh did I??? I used England for the reason they are another home nation I could have used NI or Wales also, and your answer is irrelevant as I clearly stated mt question was to Makween:)

Does that mean we cheer him :confused:

As an aside, living as I do in England at the present, were any sprogs to be born down here I'd damn well make sure they played for Scotland at whatever when it came to the crunch...

Ah, so pressure can be put on young lads to choose a particular country. Perhaps this is what happened to James McCarthy - a promise made to his grandfather maybe? What a dastardly thing to do if that is correct. :rolleyes:

Father - Son, the time has come. You have to choose which international team you want to play for.

Son - Hang on Dad, I'm just logging on to the internet so I can check on the current FIFA rankings.

Right.

Who told you his reasons were bigoted???

And your reasons for Booing him???? Pots and Kettles VW!!! :rolleyes:

And don't give me the pesh "It's coz he chose Oirland over ra Scottish team!!"

If he had the chance and chose Wales, Engerland or NOTHERN IRELAND...I don't think you'd have been so p***** aff with him!! :cool:

Anyone who turns their back on their country for whatever reason for whatever country pi**es me off!

Sorry to put a stick in your spokes!

Ah, so pressure can be put on young lads to choose a particular country. Perhaps this is what happened to James McCarthy - a promise made to his grandfather maybe? What a dastardly thing to do if that is correct. :rolleyes:

Where have I heard that before?

Drylaw Hearts

I hope the lad doesn't hang around here :

http://www.newcrosshamilton.com/

Local Shopping Centres are war zones to the OP.

I can just picture him jumping out from a big dress in Peacocks and boo'ing the lad whilst he spends his SPL wages in Poundland.

Anyone who turns their back on their country for whatever reason for whatever country pi**es me off!

Okay!! ;)

Booing a 17 year old. Very mature.

I won't be booing him. He's a great wee player.

Yeah he is decent and could potentially create something for them. At 17 the crowd getting on his back might make him slip up and make a few mistakes. All the better for us! so get booing!!!

Hes not a hearts player or even a good prospect for scotland now :mad: so why not boo the little scrote?

loveofthegame
Father - Son, the time has come. You have to choose which international team you want to play for.

Son - Hang on Dad, I'm just logging on to the internet so I can check on the current FIFA rankings.

Right.

Faither- 'Right son,the time has come tae pick yer country. Go fir Ireland, do oor forefathers and the Pope proud.'

Son- 'Nae bother'

They even sound Irish....

But what is your definition of "their country"

Someone born in England to Scottish parents, with a full set of Scottish grandparents?

Are they turning their back on Scotland if they play for England, or turning their back on England if they play for Scotland?

?I was a Glasgow Celtic supporter as a kid and my grandfather used to tell about the history of Celtic and the Irish International team.''

:eek:There's a surprise. Ugly wee cant.

Aye, we shouldn't talk about football teams at all with our kids or grandkids. Disgraceful.

loveofthegame
Aye, we shouldn't talk about football teams at all with our kids or grandkids. Disgraceful.

Not what i said.

loveofthegame
Sorry mate, what were you trying to say?

That the boy picked to play for Ireland due to being a Catholic Celtic fan. That puts him up there with Aiden McGeady in my book.

Auld Reekin'
Boooo everything!

And everyone.

not in any way a bigot bear_thumb.gif

This entire thread could be cut and pasted onto "Follow Follow" and not seem out of place.

None of the anti-Irish/Catholic/Celtic sentiments here have anything to do with following Hearts.

That the boy picked to play for Ireland due to being a Catholic Celtic fan. That puts him up there with Aiden McGeady in my book.

Ok. We'll have to agree to differ. I loathe Celtic with a vengeance, as I do the other half of the OF, but I don't have a problem with McCarthy's decision. All the best to him. Scotland will survive and thrive without him. We want to have players taking to the field for our country that actually want to play for us. Those who don't, just forget them, it's not worth getting into a lather about.

I have some sympathy for him, he had to choose one, half his family are Scottish, half are Irish, the Irish half may have been the ones who took him to football training as a kid, watched all of his games etc. so he went with them.

Anyway, I don't see why most are getting worked up about this, he's hardly a world beater, he plays for Hamilton!!?? :confused:

Colonel Kurtz

I believe the laddie got peshed of by the LArgs/Glasgow mafia running Scottish youth football and who ignored him because he played for Hamilton.

I have some sympathy for him, he had to choose one, half his family are Scottish, half are Irish, the Irish half may have been the ones who took him to football training as a kid, watched all of his games etc. so he went with them.

Anyway, I don't see why most are getting worked up about this, he's hardly a world beater, he plays for Hamilton!!?? :confused:

The lad is something special who will play at a much higher level

The People's Chimp
Neither, I don't take an interest in international football.

woops! so why the thread?

fwiw: McCarthy, at least, has the edge on McGeady in that he doesn't actually look like a mr potato head version of a lesbian.

I'm just glad it's opposition players being boo'd this year and not the poor sods in maroon like Miko & Neilson....

Makween, I think your closer to 4' 10 and you definitely ain't black yo

woops! so why the thread?

fwiw: McCarthy, at least, has the edge on McGeady in that he doesn't actually look like a mr potato head version of a lesbian.

I am still waiting on the answer to that one;)

Guest Dipped Flake
But what is your definition of "their country"

Someone born in England to Scottish parents, with a full set of Scottish grandparents?

Are they turning their back on Scotland if they play for England, or turning their back on England if they play for Scotland?

If his parents chose to go and live in England and have their kid(s) there then he should play for England.

King of the North

So a boy with Irish heritage decides to play for Ireland?

Hang him!!!!

Amazing how patriotic some posters can become over 'defectors'' to the Irish like McCarthy and McGeady. Those that are most outraged must be really into Scotland, the TA and that.

The lad is something special who will play at a much higher level

The Celtic reserves??? :)

Just because people say he MAY play for a bigger team doesn't mean he will. Mickey Stewart played for Man United, Fergie said he had huge potential and will go far, he's in his late 20's now and ping ponging between Hearts and Hibs and on the fringes of the Scotland squad.

I don't mean to bring any of the 3 teams mentioned above down but Hearts, hibs and Scotland aren't really dominating European football, we can have our odd results but overall we're not like the Chelsea's, Liverpool's or Germany's of the world.

Does anyone else find the habit of placing an 'h' as the second letter to every word in order to denote some affinity with Celtic rheally ihrritating? Ohr ihs iht Jhust mhe?

A touch tiresome but it is the standard posting from master troller Makween.

If his parents chose to go and live in England and have their kid(s) there then he should play for England.

So you should only be allowed to play for the country of your birth? What if someone's parents are posted abroad (e.g. in the forces in Germany), or are spending a couple years living and working in an office abroad, when he is born? Or should there be a time factor? Or should it only be applied to living in another constituent country of the UK?

Or perhaps we just keep things simple and allow people to choose to play for the country of their birth or, if they so desire, that of their parents.

I think you might find that the decision was made for him. He went on the trials for Scotland but was not picked probably due to not being with the OF. Ireland then gave him a chance and made it. He then started making the newspapers and we tried to beg him to come back. Would you turn your back on the country that did rate you and play for the country that didn't until you started making a name for yourself?

I think you will find the powers that be at Scottish youth level are blinkered to the OF and this is an instance that proves they are not up to it. I'm sure there are some young jambos that missed out because of this.

I think you might find that the decision was made for him. He went on the trials for Scotland but was not picked probably due to not being with the OF. Ireland then gave him a chance and made it. He then started making the newspapers and we tried to beg him to come back. Would you turn your back on the country that did rate you and play for the country that didn't until you started making a name for yourself?

I think you will find the powers that be at Scottish youth level are blinkered to the OF and this is an instance that proves they are not up to it. I'm sure there are some young jambos that missed out because of this.

Indeed. And, unlike so many others that are passed over, McCarthy had the opportunity to stick two fingers up to the GFA and play for another country.

Even if it's, say, only for a short few weeks / months, and child grows up supporting Scotland, plays for Hearts etc

You'd say he shouldnt play for Scotland?

Seymour M Hersh
From acciesfc.co.uk:

"James is now a member of the Republic of Ireland under 21 squad after deciding that his international career would not be with Scotland."

Enough said!!! :mad:

I had no idea.

What's his connection I wonder? Grandparents or parents? Or is it the usual he's had a pint of guiness!

Ibrahim Tall
Booing a 17 year old. Very mature.

I won't be booing him. He's a great wee player.

Is booing a 30 year old any more mature? What's the cut off point, need to know as i wouldn't want to look "immature" in the future. :rolleyes:

Oh, hi there.

Just a quick reminder to everyone to boo this little rhodent on Saturday.

Peace x

Noted. Cheers for the reminder mate. ;)

Noted. Cheers for the reminder mate. ;)

Grasshopper will be pleased at the compliment, Master Po. ;)

jamboinglasgow

er..guys, he choose to play for ireland because it was his dying grandfathers wish that he played in a green irish shirt. To me I think thats unfair on the lad. Even if I had a talented grandchild and the rest of his family were say English, I would not say I want you to play for scotland as I am dying because the boy will have felt that if he played for England he would be disgracing his grandfather. I would rather my grandson let my grandson play for who he wants, though I would hope he plays for scotland but would pressurise him.

So I wont boo him, McTraitor on the other hand had little reason to jump ship.

Grasshopper will be pleased at the compliment, Master Po. ;)

I know, can you imagine his wee face lighting up when he reads that, it willl make his day

er..guys, he choose to play for ireland because it was his dying grandfathers wish that he played in a green irish shirt. To me I think thats unfair on the lad. Even if I had a talented grandchild and the rest of his family were say English, I would not say I want you to play for scotland as I am dying because the boy will have felt that if he played for England he would be disgracing his grandfather. I would rather my grandson let my grandson play for who he wants, though I would hope he plays for scotland but would pressurise him.

So I wont boo him, McTraitor on the other hand had little reason to jump ship.

That was McGheady's excuse too. Is it customary for the Oirish to insist on their grandkids future career whilst on their death beds?

er..guys, he choose to play for ireland because it was his dying grandfathers wish that he played in a green irish shirt. .

Of course it was........:rolleyes:

ah the attention seeking makween making up another negative thread so he can get his browny points. He rejectd scotland,so what,thats his choice. And your h's ur using, if your thinking he supports celtic your wrong. He supports rangers. Mccarthys an awesome player and you starting a thread about wanting to boo a 19 year old is pathetic. Shame you dont have the bottle to say it to his face instead of on an internet forum. Grow up makween.

Archived