Alex Salmond ridiculed, Gordon Brown a fool ( merged threads )

Therapist

The Mighty Thor
Also a person that people from most opposition parties like. Also someone that people from all backgrounds & 'class' seem to appreciate. Something that Salmond can only dream of.

CC He's liked in the same way we Hearts fans like Mixu or Saucy or Blobby or Duff Jimmy or Miller etc etc etc.....:rolleyes:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
monkfish1979
It's a bit like Therapist's new gig of not liking an argument then selectively editing quotes to make one line replies which infer the posters agreement with his particular point or your one of repeating the same thing often enough in the vain hope that it may be accepted as FACT!

Indeed. Very aggravating - in that it brings debate down to a level that one would expect from an 8 year old. I'm waiting for "I know I am, but what are you?" or somesuch.

coppercrutch
I was referring to another poster that attributed a quote to Mr Salmond that was not a quote and then claimed that Mr Salmon inferred it.

It's a bit like Therapist's new gig of not liking an argument then selectively editing quotes to make one line replies which infer the posters agreement wiht his particular point or your one of repeating the same thing often enough in the vain hope that it may be accepted as FACT!

Anyway......onwards and upwards ;)

Ok so what about the point ?

Being Salmond deciding to ignore the things that Hoy has said - simply because they don't fit in with his agenda.

Being Salmond deciding to ignore the things that Hoy has said - simply because they don't fit in with his agenda.

bit similar to others in this debate

QED (LATIN FACT., proper schooling)

The Mighty Thor

That's already been covered CC.

Hoy said that a Scottish olympic team is a ridiculous idea with the current sporting infrastructure and funding levels. He is correct.

Incidentally both of these things will be further weakened with the diversion of money into the hole in the ground in London's east end. According to radio 5 live today grass-roots Scottish sport (not elite/olympic athletes) will be between ?18 and 25 million worse off per year for the next 4 years, that's less facilities for Scottish kids of all ages and abilities and given the **** poor state of our current facilities and the issues a lot of our kids have with obesity i think that diversion of cash is appalling.

Mind you, London first eh?

coppercrutch
That's already been covered CC.

Hoy said that a Scottish olympic team is a ridiculous idea with the current sporting infrastructure and funding levels. He is correct.

Incidentally both of these things will be further weakened with the diversion of money into the hole in the ground in London's east end. According to radio 5 live today grass-roots Scottish sport (not elite/olympic athletes) will be between ?18 and 25 million worse off per year for the next 4 years, that's less facilities for Scottish kids of all ages and abilities and given the **** poor state of our current facilities and the issues a lot of our kids have with obesity i think that diversion of cash is appalling.

He also said he was proud to represent Britain. Now I understand why Salmond would not be in agreement with him regarding this. However using Hoy as an SNP 'pawn' when Hoy is clearly not of this 'persuasion' is a little unfair.

As for the London Olympics I agree it is a waste of money. It will also be coming at a very low point in the UK's history. Our country and economy is likely to be in a complete state by then.

Can't wait..

It is indeed London first, always has been though. I just hope they manage to build the staduim on time and to budget unlike the new Wembley project.

The Mighty Thor
He also said he was proud to represent Britain. Now I understand why Salmond would not be in agreement with him regarding this. However using Hoy as an SNP 'pawn' when Hoy is clearly not of this 'persuasion' is a little unfair.

As for the London Olympics I agree it is a waste of money. It will also be coming at a very low point in the UK's history. Our country and economy is likely to be in a complete state by then.

Can't wait..

So he should. I don't think that Salmond has tried to use him as a pawn any more than Brown has. It's what politicians regardless of persuasion do.

Did you see the news tonight of Brown glad-handing the GB team as they arrived at Heathrow? As the reporter said, he has to capitalise any positive news story he can get his mits on.

I agree re 2012. It's folly. It's estimated at ?9 billion + at the moment and that will probably be 50% light on the real figure by the time the games get closer.

I can't wait either, in a watching a car crash unfold before your eyes kind of way.

The Mighty Thor
Anyway I reckon The Mighty Thor and Therapist need to sort out their avatars.

Far too similar. ;)

Ironically mine's a clebration of British engineering whereas Therapists is made in a sweat-shop by johnny foreigner. :rolleyes:

The Real Maroonblood
So he should. I don't think that Salmond has tried to use him as a pawn any more than Brown has. It's what politicians regardless of persuasion do.

Did you see the news tonight of Brown glad-handing the GB team as they arrived at Heathrow? As the reporter said, he has to capitalise any positive news story he can get his mits on.

I agree re 2012. It's folly. It's estimated at ?9 billion + at the moment and that will probably be 50% light on the real figure by the time the games get closer.

I can't wait either, in a watching a car crash unfold before your eyes kind of way.

One thing for sure he won't be a glad handing PM come 2012.

The Mighty Thor
One thing for sure he won't be a glad handing PM come 2012.

He might not even be there in 2009 the way things are going. Especially if they get pumped in the forthcoming Fife by election :)

coppercrutch

Aye Brown is a joke. I don't think he will be the PM come 2009. Only so much his own party can take. The guy has mental issues.

I was referring to another poster that attributed a quote to Mr Salmond that was not a quote and then claimed that Mr Salmon inferred it.

That'll be CC then.

Finger on the electoral pulse.

Did anyone just see the Press Conference?

Hoy said hasn't ruled out a Team Scotland but says we need more investment in Sport. Something which the SNP Government will be doing following the historic concordat with local authorities.

The SNP will stamp their approval and fund anything that has 'Scotland' in it.

There is evil and bad walking the streets, ill suffering in their homes and elderly freezing alone at night and all these jokers wanna spend OUR money on is Scottish saltire stationary, administarative changes to a title of our govt and quick fix point scores to win votes e.g prescription charges

OMG :eek:....

I am just watching CH4 news. I mentioned earlier about Salmond giving Brown the 'Send him home to think again' nonsense. That was in a studio for BBC Scotland. He just said the same thing for the CH4 cameras....

A First Minister saying that sort of childish thing once, off the cuff, is just dickish and infantile - bad enough.

Saying it twice a number of hours apart means he is actually planning to say these sort of things....:eek:

Seriously I don't care if you support the SNP or not. This guy is pathetic. He is getting worse each and every day.

If I was an SNP supporter I would be getting pretty ****ed off with all this pointless ****.

With each day the fat fascist alienates us more and more from the greatest ally we could EVER have...............England.

And the porky nuisance is not going to be happy until we are (as a nation) despised by the rest of Britain.

Prancer Salmond is a fat *****ing fascist! i've been saying it for years. the wee fat nuisance appears everywhere with his bigot brigade, painting their faces and spreading their pash

Someone needs to bring em down

You're hilarious.............if it wasn't for the strained rhetoric, loose grammar, factual inaccuracies and dyed-in-the-wool SNP bashing you might get taken seriously :rolleyes:

You're hilarious.............if it wasn't for the strained rhetoric, loose grammar, factual inaccuracies and dyed-in-the-wool SNP bashing you might get taken seriously :rolleyes:

Oh i'm sorry Mr I know how to use spell check.

I did not realise that JKB had turned into an English lesson, ooops sorry I shouldn't have said English

I did not realise that JKB had turned into a :1222: lesson

Thanks for your critique, I am sure you are a vastly intelligent man.

And the SNP know ALL about factual inaccuracies

Oh i'm sorry Mr I know how to use spell check.

I did not realise that JKB had turned into an English lesson, ooops sorry I shouldn't have said English

I did not realise that JKB had turned into a :1222: lesson

Thanks for your critique, I am sure you are a vastly intelligent man.

And the SNP know ALL about factual inaccuracies

I didn't include your spelling but now you mention it..... :)

If he wasn't the leader of a joke political party and government people may take fat eck seriously :)

People do :)

bigots do

Well you certainly do, you're frequently to be seen here launching slavering attacks on our First Minister, the Scottish government and the SNP generally.

Even your signature, on a football forum, is overtly political :)

shaun.lawson
At the end of the day maybe big alec should stick to proving and convincing the highly sceptical and i would suggest majority of scotland why independence is the way forward and the reasons behind it as opposed to continually making anti union rant after rant.

For me anyone who refuses to justify their stance needs to be shot, the fact this man is in control of our country is worrying, part of me thinks his goal in life is to be able to behead a few english

The SNP to me as a party are a bunch of greasy bigots who given any real authority would destroy scotland, thank christ they can't get their own way

Are you deranged? Or just extremely ill?

shaun.lawson

There won't, of course, be a Scottish Olympic team until there is an independent Scotland, as Alex Salmond well knows. But, as leader of the Scottish Nationalist Party, it's his job to try and big up an independent Scotland at every turn. If he was Prime Minister of a sovereign state, instead of merely First Minister of a devolved Scotland, his comments would need to be rather more statesmanlike - but as it is, he knows how much trouble his party is able to cause Gordon Brown's government, and is perfectly within his rights to maintain a stance of cheeky opposition, even opportunism.

Chris Hoy, meanwhile, is a proud, successful member of a close knit, successful British Olympic squad, so his comments are perfectly natural too. But on the question of a British football team, as has been posted in many places on here already, Sepp Blatter has not provided assurances that it won't compromise the independence of the Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish FAs, FIFA vice president Jack Warner would regard such a squad as an open invitation to step up his sabre rattling, and in any case, Blatter won't be in power forever. All of which means a likelihood of a purely English team representing Great Britain in the 2012 football event: perhaps with a token Scot in charge, though probably not.

The Real Maroonblood
With each day the fat fascist alienates us more and more from the greatest ally we could EVER have...............England.

And the porky nuisance is not going to be happy until we are (as a nation) despised by the rest of Britain.

Do you slaver naturally or do you take lessons on the subject?

:)

For me anyone who refuses to justify their stance needs to be shot

Well come on down Mr Hardman. Fire away. :rolleyes:

Well you certainly do, you're frequently to be seen here launching slavering attacks on our First Minister, the Scottish government and the SNP generally.

Even your signature, on a football forum, is overtly political :)

You're signature is also overtly political, assuming that it is Salmond you're talking about

coppercrutch

If ever I have seen a good swipe at Salmond this is it:

"But today we are here to celebrate being a British Team. Scotland is part of Britain, they are not mutually exclusive, I'm a proud Scot and I'm a very proud Brit as well"

Good on you Chris Hoy. Let the smug git know you are not happy to be used as a pawn in his juvenile games. I would LOVE to have seen Salmond's face when he read this for the first time. Bet he was actually physically sick. :)

Wonder if Salmond will have a comment to make on this particular remark made by his 'Braveheart'.

shaun.lawson
If ever I have seen a good swipe at Salmond this is it:

"But today we are here to celebrate being a British Team. Scotland is part of Britain, they are not mutually exclusive, I'm a proud Scot and I'm a very proud Brit as well"

Good on you Chris Hoy. Let the smug git know you are not happy to be used as a pawn in his juvenile games. I would LOVE to have seen Salmond's face when he read this for the first time. Bet he was actually physically sick. :)

Wonder if Salmond will have a comment to make on this particular remark made by his 'Braveheart'.

I imagine Salmond, good bloke that he is, probably just laughed. 'Physically sick'? What are you on, CC? :confused:

Could I request Shaun and Matt stop stalking me.:eek:

Ive even taken to double locking my door at night:rolleyes:

Could I request Shaun and Matt stop stalking me.:eek:

Ive even taken to double locking my door at night:rolleyes:

Well stop spouting rubbish like how people should be shot or goalies tucking their shirts in.

(I suspect your so-called stalking list stretches to more than two people given the high volume of responses your ill-informed guff usually brings out).

Snake Plissken

BIGOT!

FASCIST!

RACIST

SMUG FAT GIT

Now I'm no supporter of the SNP, or indeed any other political party, but I am amused by the tactics of the anti-SNP posters. Seems to me they are trying desperately to taint Salmond with the racist tag with every post about him.

Its debate at its most moronic - keep making the same accusation and hope it sticks.

at the end of the day the man is a bigot, he spouts BNP like pish and the only reason he isnt treated like a bigot is because the victims of his rant are not ethnic.

Where do I start with this? the SNP are nothing like the BNP?.. There is no racist element in the SNP at all?. They believe in an independent Scotland that would encompass all races and religious. There are certainly not anti English?. For crying out loud a few of their MSPs are English. There is a big big difference between being in favour of an Independent Scotland and being Anti English.

On another note, an Independent Scotland would have its own Olympic team as it would be an Independent country? just like Ireland? for the SNP to want anything else would just be daft? it?s a non story dragged up by journalists would for whatever reason feel threatened by Scottish Independence.

Finally I have voted SNP in the past, by no means a supporter however, does that though make me a Bigot? Does it make my ex g/f who is from Kent and voted SNP a bigot? Does it make my mother who was a member of the Labour party in London the 70s a bigot as she has voted SNP? I?d be very careful about the words you as it could cause great offence?.. Especially when we in our own support do have a bigoted element that a lot of us turn a blind eye too.

Al :mad:

Guest S.U.S.S.
Another episode in the constant trawling of anything Scotland's First Minister says to put a racist/bigoted (TM subway loyal/Gyle Volunteer Force) slant on his commets.

Proper disemination of the article clearly reveals that Chris Hoy believes the idea ridiculous with the current level of investment in Scottish sporting infrastructure.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good unhealthy dose of hun-steria :rolleyes:

Whats wrong with Subways? I like the old Steak and Cheese!

coppercrutch
I imagine Salmond, good bloke that he is, probably just laughed. 'Physically sick'? What are you on, CC? :confused:

You really think that ? Salmond, the man who was using Hoy as a little pawn in his 'Braveheart game'. Salmond, who was full of his 'Send him homeward tae think again' nonsense again just yesterday.

You really think that when Salmond heard Hoy (pretty much) putting Salmond down and stating how proud he was of being British...

You really think Salmond just had a wee chuckle to himself....:rolleyes:

Maybe he did, but I bet he was raging inside. :)

Long live King Hoy !!

Hoy 1 Salmond 0

Hoy for 1st Minister !!

You're signature is also overtly political, assuming that it is Salmond you're talking about

Nice try :)

I think it's clear to everyone who my signature alludes to.

coppercrutch
Where do I start with this? the SNP are nothing like the BNP?.. There is no racist element in the SNP at all?. They believe in an independent Scotland that would encompass all races and religious. There are certainly not anti English?. For crying out loud a few of their MSPs are English. There is a big big difference between being in favour of an Independent Scotland and being Anti English.

On another note, an Independent Scotland would have its own Olympic team as it would be an Independent country? just like Ireland? for the SNP to want anything else would just be daft? it?s a non story dragged up by journalists would for whatever reason feel threatened by Scottish Independence.

Finally I have voted SNP in the past, by no means a supporter however, does that though make me a Bigot? Does it make my ex g/f who is from Kent and voted SNP a bigot? Does it make my mother who was a member of the Labour party in London the 70s a bigot as she has voted SNP? I?d be very careful about the words you as it could cause great offence?.. Especially when we in our own support do have a bigoted element that a lot of us turn a blind eye too.

Al :mad:

Let's get a few things straight here. Whilst the SNP are not overtly 'anti English' a massive number of their members and supporters are. The SNP play on this by various nonsense tactics - Salmonds 'Send him homewards tae think again' jibe yesterday being the most perfect example.

Always sitting just on the side of not being overtly anti-English, but everyone knows exactly what the reality is.

The differences between them and the BNP are not as great as some would think. I don't think the BNP ever officially come out and say 'We hate *******'. Does that mean you think they don't ?

Of course not - that would be naive as ****.

Same goes for the SNP. Every SNP member I have ever met has the same view on England - and it's not very pleasant.

We all know the SNP are intrinsically an anti England Party - no matter what they say.

Let's not skip around that simple fact.

deesidejambo

I've just read the last page so maybe I'm picking up the wrong thing, but I'm not an SNP supporter (although I do think they are doing a decent job so far, compared to the shambles that went before) and I am not keen in Independence, but anybody who calls SNP supporters "bigots" must be a clown.

shaun.lawson
You really think that ? Salmond, the man who was using Hoy as a little pawn in his 'Braveheart game'. Salmond, who was full of his 'Send him homeward tae think again' nonsense again just yesterday.

You really think that when Salmond heard Hoy (pretty much) putting Salmond down and stating how proud he was of being British...

You really think Salmond just had a wee chuckle to himself....:rolleyes:

Maybe he did, but I bet he was raging inside. :)

Long live King Hoy !!

Hoy 1 Salmond 0

Hoy for 1st Minister !!

I imagine he'd have guessed what Hoy's response would be, and respected it. Daveandal nailed it above: wanting a Scottish Olympic team is entirely consistent with the reason the SNP exist in the first place, so why it leads to so many knickers being got in a twist on here, heaven only knows.

Raging inside? Good grief. Life's too short!

shaun.lawson
Let's get a few things straight here. Whilst the SNP are not overtly 'anti English' a massive number of their members and supporters are. The SNP play on this by various nonsense tactics - Salmonds 'Send him homewards tae think again' jibe yesterday being the most perfect example.

Always sitting just on the side of not being overtly anti-English, but everyone knows exactly what the reality is.

The differences between them and the BNP are not as great as some would think. I don't think the BNP ever officially come out and say 'We hate *******'. Does that mean you think they don't ?

Same goes for the SNP. Every SNP member I have ever met has the same view on England - and it's not very pleasant.

We all know the SNP are intrinsically an anti England Party - no matter what they say.

How many SNP members have you met, CC? And granted, they are by very definition anti-Westminster; but anti-English? Phooey. One of the reasons I respect Salmond and the SNP is because they've avoided the kind of nastiness you've alluded to above: it's not the easiest balance for them to have struck, but they've done so. They're a progressive, forward thinking party, and an independent Scotland would be extremely inclusive and pro-European - unlike some people down here who are forever stuck reacting angrily against change, and harking back to a golden age that's a figment of their collective imagination.

Comparing the SNP in any way at all with the BNP is, to be frank, bonkers. And in case it had escaped your notice, an independent Scotland will need English people to migrate northwards for it to thrive as I believe it would anyway!

The Mighty Thor

Sounds like an unfortunately large number of posters on JKB. Especially if you substitute anti-English with anti-Catholic but that's a debate for another day i guess.

I just don't think thats true. They believe in Scottish independance. Now whether you agree with that or not is a different question. But they are not anti English.

On a different topic

Should be not be proud that Scotland has an independence party that is purely political? If you look all across Europe this is sadly not the case?.. Take Ireland for example, should we not be proud that we can actually deal with in our differing self determination views on a political level?

http://scotsport.podbean.com

Salmond has got a right kicking over this issue, and rightly so. Any normal person would think before they speak in future but Fat Alex is so smug he'll continue to blunder in as usual.

I like how Salmond is flapping his gums over the idea of a GB football team in 2012, when it's not up to him in any way imaginable. Rather like the idea of Gordon Smith saying he is opposed to the idea of being an independant nation.

Also, if he is so sure that independance is going to happen, why is he even bothering with the story?

coppercrutch
How many SNP members have you met, CC? And granted, they are by very definition anti-Westminster; but anti-English? Phooey. One of the reasons I respect Salmond and the SNP is because they've avoided the kind of nastiness you've alluded to above: it's not the easiest balance for them to have struck, but they've done so. They're a progressive, forward thinking party, and an independent Scotland would be extremely inclusive and pro-European - unlike some people down here who are forever stuck reacting angrily against change, and harking back to a golden age that's a figment of their collective imagination.

Comparing the SNP in any way at all with the BNP is, to be frank, bonkers. And in case it had escaped your notice, an independent Scotland will need English people to migrate northwards for it to thrive as I believe it would anyway!

I just don't think thats true. They believe in Scottish independance. Now whether you agree with that or not is a different question. But they are not anti English.

On a different topic

Should be not be proud that Scotland has an independence party that is purely political? If you look all across Europe this is sadly not the case?.. Take Ireland for example, should we not be proud that we can actually deal with in our differing self determination views on a political level?

http://scotsport.podbean.com

I have probably met about 10-20 SNP supporters. The majority have had a serious chip on their shoulder and a distinct hatred for the English. Of course doe snot mean that all their supporters are like that.

Maybe I have just been unlucky...

Of course the fact that the SNP leader comes out with veiled anti English rhetoric - "Send him homeward tae think again" - gives me the impression he knows his supporters will approve.

Your reference to the BNP raises an interesting point.

If you want to retain the union and the idea of Britain as a political whole, are you a British Nationalist?

Drew Busby !
Let's see the usual SNP suspects come out with their normal line that Salmond knows best. :eek:

Well done Chris. You talk perfect sense and you're not willing to be used as a political pawn by Fat Alex. :)

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/latestnews/Chris-Hoy-Scottish-team-in.4422493.jp

See thats the problem with blindly regurgitating whatever The Scotsman prints...apart from the date they're invariably wrong. In the words of Chris Hoy:

Exclusive: Scotland can stand alone at Olympics.. with enough investment, says Chris Hoy

Aug 27 2008 By Joanne Curran

TRIPLE gold medal hero Chris Hoy last night said he'd be proud to be part of a Scottish Olympic team.

The Edinburgh cyclist rubbished reports that he thought the idea was "ridiculous".

Speaking exclusively to the Record, he told of his pride in his home country.

And he said he believes Scotland could form a world-class team - with the right investment in sports.

Chris was given a hero's welcome when he landed back in Britain on Monday after winning three golds in Beijing.

But the 32-year-old said: "I feel a bit upset that I have been quoted as saying the idea of a Scottish Olympic team is ridiculous.

"If and when a Scottish team was put together, I would be delighted to represent Scotland in the Olympic Games.

"But before that happens, so much needs to be done for the athletes to be able to compete at the highest level.

"As a cyclist, there isn't a facility in Scotland where I can train throughout the year and that's why I have to base myself outside Scotland.

"I am proud to be Scottish, but at the same time it's not feasible to think we can compete as a nation without the right facilities."

Chris - on his way home to an emotional reunion in Edinburgh with lawyer girlfriend Sarra - said major investment would be needed to make a Scottish team successful.

He said: "Right now, around ?20million a year is being invested in British cycling so there would be a huge investment required in Scotland."

He backed the campaign to save Edinburgh's Meadowbank stadium, where he trained as a young athlete.

Today, crowds will line Edinburgh's Royal Mile to salute Chris and Scotland's other medal-winners - cyclist Ross Edgar, 25, rower Katherine Grainger, 32, and canoeist David Florence, 26.

Archived