This season, maybe it's all going to be different

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

Didnt see this up anywhere.

Foulkes says bring it on!

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/This-season-maybe-it39s-all.4376912.jp

Published Date: 11 August 2008

By GEORGE FOULKES

Tynecastle Park, and the beginning of another campaign in the history of a football club. A history that is greater in substance, spirit and soul, than any other in Scotland.

Sadly not my words, but those of the late, great Bob Crampsey, a huge loss to the game, and a gentleman sports journalist and broadcaster who will be missed by many.

He was one of the finest that I had the privilege of meeting.

Even today, his

ADVERTISEMENT

opening commentary for a video about the history of Hearts is as relevant now as it was back when he recorded it.

Every fan knows how exciting it feels to be there for the first game of the season, renewing friendships, catching that first glimpse of the new strip on the players. Saturday, by all accounts, was no different.

The 14,200 or so supporters who turned out for our first game against Motherwell on Saturday were a tribute to the loyalty shown to this club. While it would have been good to see a few more, it showed Hearts really do boast "substance, spirit and soul" as they rally to the cry of: "Together".

It showed that, despite the previous two seasons, they are still of a mind to give the Romanov regime a chance, and they are to be applauded for doing so.

With results like Saturday's, I'd hope and expect it won't be long before the sold out signs are back.

Hearts fans never cease to amaze me with their undying loyalty, their commitment to the cause. The roar from the support when that first goal went in was raucous.

While fair-weather Rangers fans are calling for the head of Walter Smith after losing out to the Hearts' second team, and stuttering at Falkirk, Jambos were getting right behind Csaba Laszlo.

So far he is cutting a hugely impressive figure, hugely animated on the touchline as he demanded effort and guile from what looked a young Hearts side at the weekend.

He displayed passion, poise and didn't look at all afraid to make decisions. Never looking over his shoulder, only locked in conversation with the confidants beside him.

Most of all, he looked like a leader.

He looked confident in the changes he rung, quickly and efficiently, reminiscent of George Burley in his first season in charge, and it was clear from the reaction to him compared with that for visiting manager Mark McGhee, they are pleased with what they are not only seeing, but hearing too.

It is good to hear a manager talk so positively about his players, of better days to come, while being honest and open about the elements that leave him disappointed.

He must be given a chance to find his feet, but it is obvious to anyone that the whole squad has received a massive lift from his appointment ? not least Miko and Michael Stewart.

There was commitment, fast-passing, if a few jitters from time to time on a pitch that while near perfect to look at, must have been heavy to play on after all the rain.

Yet the men in maroon didn't look tired, didn't complain as our friends in Glasgow have done all season. They looked, for the first time in months, like a real team.

There is a real spring in their step and confidence seeping through the ranks. bolstered by the re-signing of Andrew Driver, Ryan McGowan, Gary Glenn and others. There's also huge expectation on the shoulders of David Obua who, if he lives up to his promise, might at last really give us all something to shout about.

As part of Mark Donaldson's recent preview show on Talk 107, much of the conversation centered around how long the new boss should be given. All agreed a fair crack of the whip is needed.

Already he's indicated that discipline will be a cornerstone of his reign, followed by fitness and strategy. He laughed that he's so excited he's being kept awake at night.

What else appears to be encouraging is his ability to not only talk sense, but in a way that apparently soothes Romanov at the same time. Can it really work?

I hope so, because this is a make-or-break season as far many in the Hearts ranks are concerned, on and off the pitch.

The club really is on probation, but responding well. It has been encouraging to hear the new boss speak, it is good to see ?12m debt being re-aligned. It is fantastic to feel like there is, after so long, something to look forward too.

In the new-look matchday magazine Laszlo spoke of how important the fans are to the team. He said they could be like the 12th man.

Maybe he's right, because something else happened on Saturday. Tynecastle found its voice again, and not just the booing of last season.

Generous applause for the players and new management team, a hot reception for Motherwell and McGhee in particular.

All we needed, of course, was goals for the party to really start. We didn't expect five, but it shows how far we have come that the majority were for us.

I do not know what this season will bring for Hearts, but I like what I see and hear so far. It encourages me, and I have found that I can enjoy my football again. How long has it been since we were able to say that?

Long may it continue.

Found-out Rangers are there for the taking

POOR old Rangers. Out of Europe, the natives restless at Ibrox and Barry "The Crab" Ferguson out on the sidelines.

It's almost as if a mediocre team had finally used up all their luck and been found out at last.

Of course, that may be unfair, because they did lose out at the feet of Hearts B side over in Lithuania.

Remember, Vladimir Romanov has promised Csaba Laszlo that he can have the pick of Kaunas if he wants them.

It's not something that always worked under previous managers, admittedly, but maybe not a bad idea when we next line up against Walter and Ally ? assuming of course that they are allowed to remain. Perhaps we should all don yellow jerseys for Ibrox on Saturday, just to win the mind games. Although Romanov's stunt of holding up a Hearts scarf in Lithuania has probably seen to that.

No. I'm more than confident that, as the rebuilding continues, Hearts will be more than a match for Rangers.

So let's bring it on.

Jam Tarts 1874

Funny how the wrist-slashers were all backing Foulkes in his anti-Romanov rants last season, yet no doubt the same wrist-slashers will say "well said" Foulkes for this article.

As the great Freddie Mercury once sang "any way the wind blows"!

Foulkes along with all other Hearts fans had every right to criticise Romanovs running of the club last season, we were a joke.

He is equally entitled to dish out praise when Romanov gets things right as he appears to be doing at the moment.

Guest JamboRobbo
Foulkes along with all other Hearts fans had every right to criticise Romanovs running of the club last season, we were a joke.

He is equally entitled to dish out praise when Romanov gets things right as he appears to be doing at the moment.

Indeed, praise where due, criticism where due. Seems some struggle with the concept though.:)

Funny how the wrist-slashers were all backing Foulkes in his anti-Romanov rants last season, yet no doubt the same wrist-slashers will say "well said" Foulkes for this article.

It's funny, no matter what anyone posts you always just seem to be looking for a fight of some description...and your latest effort is no different. Unfortunately, your point makes almost no sense whatsoever.

George Foulkes was ranting at Romanov last season, as were the fans...and with good reason. George Foulkes is now complimenting the fans for their loyalty and the atmosphere created...and also Csaba Laszlo for masterminding the turnaround that we witnessed. All of which seem pretty fair to me.

Now...tell me what your issue is with any of that? :)

Remnants of Standards

Foulkes would be better advised to dampen his own redding furrow. We've only won one game - a great start of course - but still only one game. Now, according to him, we are "more than a match for Rangers".

I hope to hell he's right, but it's statements like this, whether from Foulkes, the Romanovs, or fans themselves that set us up for an almighty fall.

A week ago, we were in crisis mode because we didn't have a real recognised striker. Nothing has changed in that respect, so let's not fall into the trap that everything is rosy after one win, however welcome.

Let's start crowing six months in if we are still up there and leave the hyperbole to Foulkes until then.

Drylaw Hearts

Were the 'wrist-slashers' wrong last Season in their observations and criticisms ?

Remnants of Standards

Ok!! I take it back!! we've just signed Mike Tullberg i believe, so everything in the garden is now officially coming up sweet. We now have the recognised striker, the last piece of the jigsaw obviously. 20 goals please my good man.

Dr. Bapswent
Ok!! I take it back!! we've just signed Mike Tullberg i believe, so everything in the garden is now officially coming up sweet. We now have the recognised striker, the last piece of the jigsaw obviously. 20 goals please my good man.

A piece, but not the last piece.

Remnants of Standards

This thread sums up being a Jambo really. Having bemoaned our lack of signings or the absence of a recognised goalscorer, we then sign one within a few minute of me posting.

With that in mind, why hasn't anyone deposited 10 million into my bank account today???!

Carl Weathers

POOR old Rangers. Out of Europe, the natives restless at Ibrox and Barry "The Crab" Ferguson out on the sidelines.

It's almost as if a mediocre team had finally used up all their luck and been found out at last.

:)

Archived