Just on Talk 107 - Niemi to return

Groot

Jam Tarts 1874
Boro are one of the poorer premiership sides.

70% of the clubs in the EPL could horse all clubs outside the OF on a regular basis.

Really? Where is the evidence? Like many others, you are inflenced by the bigger crowds and atmosphere. I have experience of watching EPL games in the flesh so to speak, it's garbage in real life. SPL clubs have an excellent record against EPL clubs in general, that is not an opinion, it is FACT. All the results available prove it!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paisley Jambo
Someone on Talk 107 (Don't know who I only got the tail end) just said Niemi wants to come back to Edinburgh and is only asking for ?4k a week.

Sounds like a great deal to me :)

If only it were true.

Did you watch it?

Some of those saves were from last season...

Niemi even at 50% is better than Banks is or has ever been.

I didn't watch it and I do agree Niemi was a good goalkeeper. I presume the Hibs 6-2 game wasn't included.

I don't like turning the clock back generally and certainly not for a 36 year old even if he is a goalkeeper. We must look to the future and not try to recreate the past.

did you feel the same way about Robbo's return?

Robbo was away for only a matter of months and was much younger than AN.

I am not necessarily saying people who want Niemi are wrong, it's just that I don't think we should turn the clock back because it seldom works out how we hope. And as I said there are signs in his recent play that he is not as sharp as he was and at his age that is not likely to get better.

Niemi is the only world class player I have ever seen in a Hearts strip.

Thirded.

He was a fantastic goalkeeper for Hearts and I have a great amount of sentimental thoughts about him. I would not like to ruin my memories of that imperious goalkeeper by bringing in a 'keeper that is IMO past his best. A goalkeeper that at 35 was dropped for Kasey Keller (38 IIRC?) as he was chucking in goals left, right and centre.

If Hibs get rid of either McNeil or Malkowski he will go to Hibs but I do not want him to come here right now.

In my opinion AN is (most probably) the best player I have ever seen at Hearts, and I feel truly privileged in having seen him play for the famous JTs.

I can't even begin to comprehend why anyone would not be delighted at the prospect of his return.

And...........

at least we know that his passion and emotional attachment to HMFC is genuine.

I've heard him say on several occasions (since he left) how much he loves the Hearts and that Hearts are his team. He made it clear on Ques of Sport that he's a Jambo, and was quoted in a newspaper interview that his dream was to come back to Hearts and win the Scottish Cup.

He'll do for me.....

Legend.....................

would have to be convinced he is still a step up from Banksy at this moment in time. Age should not be a prob cos 35 is not old for a keeper.

Handles himself well on and off the park and seems to have a genuine love for our club but just hope if he comes back he has been checked out for form and it is not a sentimental decision. I personally didnt know he had a form dip in England last year as havent followed him too closely off late. Last I Iremember he got a bad injury and was out for a while

would have to be convinced he is still a step up from Banksy

There can be no doubt that he is. Legend.

Getting him back would be a great move, the EPL as gordon said is miles apart from the SPL the players hit the ball harder can move the ball better , for him it would be a walk in the park to come back to Hearts, he is pure quality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And watch the you tube video the save against celtic is one of the best saves i've seen in many a year of supporting Hearts made even sweeter by the fact the great unwashed jump up as they think it's in the back of the net :)

FTH, FTOF

I posted this on another thread might be more relevant here!

Not sure if this is relavent - but talk 107 stated last night at about 7.30ish that the mighty JT's were in taks with a player, the host was pushing Alan Mclaren for a hint but he was not bighting!

anyone else herd this? or is it just general radio gashness!

:107years:

shaun.lawson
There can be no doubt that he is. Legend.

He is a legend, and my all time favourite Jambo. But there's no question his form was going seriously south last season: a big reason why Fulham struggled so badly was because Niemi, given his various fitness concerns, made blunder after blunder.

This happens to every 'keeper in the end, and it doesn't take away at all from the magnificent, still largely unheralded career he's enjoyed. But the fact is, if he's losing mobility, it'll be a problem in the SPL just as much as it was in the EPL, and for that reason, I hope he doesn't return.

shaun.lawson
Really? Where is the evidence? Like many others, you are inflenced by the bigger crowds and atmosphere. I have experience of watching EPL games in the flesh so to speak, it's garbage in real life. SPL clubs have an excellent record against EPL clubs in general, that is not an opinion, it is FACT. All the results available prove it!

Hilarious. In another thread, you've argued that there isn't a lot for Hearts to beat in the SPL - but at the same time, are trying to argue that non-OF clubs could beat their EPL counterparts! Apart from out of their depth sides like Stoke or Hull, no, I'm afraid they could not: because if they could, it'd suggest the SPL was rather a lot better than you've given it credit for elsewhere, wouldn't it?

LeylandJambo

I started a thread about him on Thursday saying he was surplus to requirements at Fulham IMO he would be a superb signing

Dont be surprised if the keeper coming over, is Kello the Slovakian....

On Trial...

Is that the dude that played for Kaunas against R@ng*rs?!?!?!?!?:sad::eek:

Let's hope he gets the Lekevicius treatment....

not what we need i would rather we went out and signed a keeper in his mid to late twenties to be honest

On Trial...

You better be trolling with that statement. That keeper is truly shocking. :confused:

Guest GhostHunter

Assume he isn't coming over to be #1...I presume it's for the #3 spot behind Jamie and Banksy...

LeylandJambo

Why does that seem more plausible than us getting Niemi back

Assume he isn't coming over to be #1...I presume it's for the #3 spot behind Jamie and Banksy...

If he does sign, I hope he is #3 behind Banks, McDonald, new signing that is not Kello, Ridgers, Bjornsson and the Australian boy. :)

A 26 year old number 3 ? Yeah that will be why he is coming over.

I haven't read all the posts on this thread but the ones i have seem to be against Niemi returning due to his age.

I have read a few who are in favour of sticking with Banks,he is also around the same age as Niemi.

I would be delighted to see Niemi back but don't think it will happen.

Dex, are you presuming or stating this based on info?

I read that Csaba wanted an experienced keeper and this guy certainly isn't that. He also stated or intimated that he'd like Banks to take both feet into the coaching role and be back up to an experienced keeper so he's looking for a first choice keeper not a third choice.

If we plump for this Kalla dude and don't go for Niemi I'd be deeply disappointed.

On Trial...

There's an all too familiar feeling about that. We have rumours about Niemi and end up with this numpty!

Drylaw Hearts
There's an all too familiar feeling about that. We have rumours about Niemi and end up with this numpty!

Yes there is.

Kickback is unbelievable sometimes!

I like Banksie, but he couldn't lace Niemi's boots. I don't doubt Niemi is past his best, but he was and still is world class.

McDonald is the long term future of Hearts keepers. A few years with Banksie as coach (which I understand he is exceptionally good at) and training with Niemi will do him the world of good. I have no dount Gordon learned lots under Niemi.

davemclaren

We know he's a numpty? :confused:

Chris Benoit

This is a dilemma, Niemi is the best 'keeper i've ever seen at Hearts and i'd love to see him back but would hate to see him back as a shadow of his former self because he did look quite ropey last season for Fulham although on the other hand maybe coming back here will breathe new life into him and he can be a revalation (again)

What i will say is all the people having digs at Banks for being past it think about how many mistakes he's made over the years and you won't find many

Definetly not a Bon Jovi fan but that video had the hairs on the back of the neck standing up - sometimes you forget just how good players are.

Niemi would stroll 2 seasons in the Spl at least.

ps. no more kaunas goalies please

Morning Gang

Seen a few posts on this thread saying that Antti was the best keeper ever at the club

Better than Gordon? what do you guys think?

portobellojambo1
Perhaps you would like to present some evidence as to why you think that EPL sides outside the top 4 are so wonderful? What results in games involving SPL sides outside of Rangers and Celtic against EPL sides outside their top 4 do you want to refer to?

One can only assume that any comparison you are making, between SPL and EPL, is based on pre season friendly matches which, in all honesty, isn't a particularly sensible basis for a comparison. How many clubs, including the OF, do you think would survive in the EPL as newcomers, playing competitive matches week in, week out.

Guest GhostHunter
Someone on Talk 107 (Don't know who I only got the tail end) just said Niemi wants to come back to Edinburgh and is only asking for ?4k a week.

Sounds like a great deal to me :)

That's 4 pages based on what was probably a :hobofish: phishing on the phone in.

They'll be kacking themselves over on usedneedles.net.

winston churchill
Morning Gang

Seen a few posts on this thread saying that Antti was the best keeper ever at the club

Better than Gordon? what do you guys think?

any day of the week.

winston churchill
Kickback is unbelievable sometimes!

I like Banksie, but he couldn't lace Niemi's boots. I don't doubt Niemi is past his best, but he was and still is world class.

McDonald is the long term future of Hearts keepers. A few years with Banksie as coach (which I understand he is exceptionally good at) and training with Niemi will do him the world of good. I have no dount Gordon learned lots under Niemi.

sorry to say he is not.

That's 4 pages based on what was probably a :hobofish: phishing on the phone in.

Dont think Niemi fits the bill for what VR or Csaba are looking for, sounds daft but I think they'll be looking for someone age wise between Banks and Macdonald. would love to be proved wrong but cant see it.

Drylaw Hearts

It was Talk 107's Scott Wilson who made the call.

Greedy_Jambo

I cant see niemi coming to us, i can't see him only wanting 4k a week either :s

He's too old anyway c'mon. how long has he got left?

Not a long term solution.

I'd take him over a young kaunas muppet though.

Guest GhostHunter
It was Talk 107's Scott Wilson who made the call.

Really ?

Now that IS interesting...

Who's Niemi's agent ?

portobellojambo1
This is a dilemma, Niemi is the best 'keeper i've ever seen at Hearts and i'd love to see him back but would hate to see him back as a shadow of his former self because he did look quite ropey last season for Fulham although on the other hand maybe coming back here will breathe new life into him and he can be a revalation (again)

What i will say is all the people having digs at Banks for being past it think about how many mistakes he's made over the years and you won't find many

I mentioned this in a previous post, but made the mistake of including age as well. Age is not my concern, I am more worried about his present level of fitness and what effect it will have on him as a keeper (he needs another operation on his wrist, which could sideline him for a while) and as you say people's expectations, based on what we remember him like during his previous spell. It is only natural when someone comes back to a club fans make comparisons with what they were like the previous time (as per McCann). If I thought Niemi was still at the same level of sharpness, fitness, health, as he was when he left it would be mad to say anything other than "for feck sake get him now", but I am not sure he is. Do we need a goalkeeper for maybe one season, two maximum, who in all honesty is not going to get any better, or would it make more sense to look for someone younger, with scope to improve, from whom we could get good service for a number of years.

Clerry Jambo

Maybe slighty off topic but back of the Sun today reports that Hibs attempted to get Riordan on loan for a season which would have made him the highest paid player at the club. Point being maybe Petrie is loosening the purse strings and Niemi would be a possibility

winston churchill
I cant see niemi coming to us, i can't see him only wanting 4k a week either :s

He's too old anyway c'mon. how long has he got left?

Not a long term solution.

I'd take him over a young kaunas muppet though.

sorry to say,bandy played the best football of his life down at the sangiro in his late 30's.

winston churchill
Maybe slighty off topic but back of the Sun today reports that Hibs attempted to get Riordan on loan for a season which would have made him the highest paid player at the club. Point being maybe Petrie is loosening the purse strings and Niemi would be a possibility

it's a stunt for the mugs down in lochend.

wee charlie chaplin knows ra sellik wont go for it.

he only has a season left on his contract and the want to cash in;)

Drylaw Hearts
sorry to say,bandy played the best football of his life down at the sangiro in his late 30's.

Apart from a few howlers against us.

Charlie-Brown

There is nothing in the papers or online about this 'story' just as there wasn't very much about the imminent signing of Riordan that didn't happen, tittle-tattle speculation that becomes a rumour that grows arms & legs and in the end you have Hearts fans mystified why it didn't happen even though it never was happening..........

Archived