Just on Talk 107 - Niemi to return

Groot

Jambof3tornado

Surely with Niemi in the squad we would have 2 similar standards of keeper,preventing our up coming youngster from getting a sniff. Would love Niemi to return and play for us but wouldnt want to drop banks. What a dilemma.:wacko:

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just fixed the statement for you, I'm not having a dig because I think Niemi could be a good signing and he was immense first time round but he's the same age as Banks and I don't think he's had much first team action in the past year and he's struggling to get over a wrist injury

I'd hate him to come back and do a 'McCann'

Actually I totally agree with you. I think the point I was attempting to make was to show the absolute chasm between Banks and Niemi (yes even now). Banksie is a good guy and an honest pro but he's never been better than mediocre throughout his career and his CV proves it. We need a new keeper and though it's highly unlikely to be Niemi (for the reasons NMH points out) we should certainly have better than SB.

Despite the injuries and the fact he is not as good as he was in his prime, Niemi would walk into our first team infront of any other keeper at the club.

Correct.

Would love Niemi to return and play for us but wouldnt want to drop banks. What a dilemma.:wacko:

Why on earth not ? He's average at best and is all ready to be a coach.

Jambof3tornado
Why on earth not ? He's average at best and is all ready to be a coach.

He hasnt been bad has he?? And is Niemi much of an improvement. I would sooner see us get a 25-30 year old to come in and make the position his own for a few years.

jamboinglasgow

just seen this thread, let me get this straight. Someone on talk107 says Niemi wants to go to edinburgh and is prepared to take ?4k. But there has been nothing actully linking us to him.

Personally I think he's Finnish.

na hes not finnish but hes a bit scottish now............ive just heard hibs are interested in him now

I have said it already there is a bit of a difference in a winger coming back at 33-34 and a Goalie coming back at 36.

Goalkeepers have a much longer 'shelf life' and tend to peak later in their careers.

Despite the injuries and the fact he is not as good as he was in his prime, Niemi would walk into our first team infront of any other keeper at the club.

Don't get me wrong even if he plays to 50-75% of his form when he was last here he'd be a standout but if he's got a niggly injury then it's always harder to shake off once they are in their 'Twilight years'

Goalkeepers peak years are usually from around 28/29 to 34 so I think we may be better looking at someone in that age range who can be no. 1 for the next 3-4 years instead of getting a year or so from Niemi

He hasnt been bad has he?? And is Niemi much of an improvement. I would sooner see us get a 25-30 year old to come in and make the position his own for a few years.

No he's not been bad but he hasn't geen good either. The highlight I can remember is him swinging on the crossbar !!

I agree a keeper around that age range would be sensible but only if they were of a decent quality. I don't think Lithuania have any top class keepers for instance ;)

Hearts legend without a doubt.

Now, too old and injury prone.

Sorry.

Actually I totally agree with you. I think the point I was attempting to make was to show the absolute chasm between Banks and Niemi (yes even now). Banksie is a good guy and an honest pro but he's never been better than mediocre throughout his career and his CV proves it. We need a new keeper and though it's highly unlikely to be Niemi (for the reasons NMH points out) we should certainly have better than SB.

At the risk of going against everything JKB stands for I agree with you too

However as Banks has never really dropped a clanger and sold the jerseys I don't think there is a need to rush out and get a goalie unless it is someone who can improve the team and stay there for the next 3-4 years

Snake Plissken

Niemi > Banks

in fact that doesn't do it justice...

Niemi > Banks

Therefore we should sign him.

We need a better keeper than Banks if we want to push for Euro qualification, we can talk about what a jolly nice chap he is, dedicated pro blah blah blah. But that doesn't cover his inadequacies as a goalkeeper, its Frail syndrome all over again - coming across as a good guy doesn't make you good enough.

Come home Antti!

I see no reason why Neimi wouldn't remain a viable player for another three or four years. As a keeper and a top pro, why wouldn't he be able to play into his forties?

I'm sure McDonald would learn a lot from him too, as he's hopefully doing from Banks.

Hearts legend without a doubt.

Now, too old and injury prone.

Sorry.

Pretty sure everyone was saying he was injury prone before we signed him from Rangers.

Charlie-Brown

Reminds me of just prior to Jefferies first game the Scotsman ran a story that JJ wanted to sign the much loved Scott Crabbe back (even though I think he was recovering from a leg break / bad injury) ..... it made everybody feel-good, & even though it didn't end up happening...maybe the story served it's purpose. :)

He wants to come to Edinburgh for only 4K a week, wow thats good of him.

We need a reality check, you realise we'd need to sell 40 season tickets, just to pay him for a month. :dribble:

portobellojambo1

I am just not sure, part of me says yes, because i was disappointed when he left, but I have reservations, which revolve around his age and general fitness (the last thing you want is a goalkeeper who has problems with his hands).

Really think if we are to go for a goalkeeper we should be looking at someone a few years younger (like a previous poster I too didn't realise what age he was, I though he was in his early to mid 30's), and I also worry that we could have another situation as per Neil McCann (i.e. if Niemi failed to perform to the same level he reached last time here fans would or could turn on him).

If he is looking for a goalkeeping coaching position in a couple of years time then yes, go get him then.

kingantti1874

as my username suggests bring the king home! Even if the only reason is so that I don't have to change my name

BobbyJenkins

The guys a very very good keeper and as we all know age isnt necessarily a barrier.

Alot more than ?4000 has been spunked on some **** over the past wee while, hed defo contribute, feel good factor, showing what Hearts are all about, passing on experience to the younger keepers and still able to pull off quite magnificent saves.

Sign him.

BobbyJenkins

Irrelevant IMO, Banksie would most likely be coachin the younger players hes hardly goin to teach Niemi anything.

Oops was supposed to wuote Tazio's above comment.

Everybody loves Baz

I'd eat my left nut if this was true :)

Irrelevant IMO, Banksie would most likely be coachin the younger players hes hardly goin to teach Niemi anything.

Oops was supposed to wuote Tazio's above comment.

True Bobby but most good coaches are good at spotting things in a players game as opposed to actually doing them.

kingantti1874

as far as I can see, if we need a new keeper which most think we do, who at this time is a better option? I can't see it anyone better than antti, even if he is only 75% of his previous best

Pants Shaton

Good enough for the Premiership last season - not good enough for the worst Hearts team in a decade this season?

Please explain.

magalufhearts
Surely with Niemi in the squad we would have 2 similar standards of keeper,preventing our up coming youngster from getting a sniff. Would love Niemi to return and play for us but wouldnt want to drop banks. What a dilemma.:wacko:

Do u remember when Gordon was dropped and banksy only lost 1 goal in 8 games???? Thats how good he is, but i would still rather have Antti in goals.

I just hope this is true!!!!!

Are you denying his quality?

I'm not denying his former quality.

IMO Banks is a fine keeper but like Niemi he does not command his box as I would wish. Instead of turning the clock back, if we are to replace Banks, we should be looking for someone with experience but yet a bit more shelf life than AN.

Good enough for the Premiership last season - not good enough for the worst Hearts team in a decade this season?

Please explain.

Ageism, simply

Hearts fans would have turned down Moravcik

Would have laughed at a loan deal for a 35 year old Larrsson

etc

BobbyJenkins
I'm not denying his former quality.

IMO Banks is a fine keeper but like Niemi he does not command his box as I would wish. Instead of turning the clock back, if we are to replace Banks, we should be looking for someone with experience but yet a bit more shelf life than AN.

What makes you say former quality?

Marmeladent?rtchen

Dont know about the rest of you,,,, but I'm going to bed with beer in my tummy and the news that Nemi is comming back to Hearts in my head.

Boy my head will hurt tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buy the way my tyoing has been pish tonigth!!! :mad:

XXXXXX

That should be the end of the discussion.

I can't believe people on here are saying they wouldn't want him.

slashishere
That should be the end of the discussion.

I can't believe people on here are saying they wouldn't want him.

cant of seen hearts pre Burley me thinks!

Antti Niemi..................LEGEND!!!

What makes you say former quality?

Because I have seen footage of him on TV (MotD etc) and he does not look to be as sharp as he was when he left us - in fact one game he looked quite pedestrian. You will observe that Fulham have signed not one but two keepers recently. Is that co-incidence?

We need to look forwards not backwards but that said, if he signs for us tomorrow he'll receive my full backing.

BobbyJenkins
If you want to live in the past, feel free to do so.

Big difference between Eng Prem and Scottish prem I think you will find and if you care to look around, some of his saves were sheer class.

Get over it, the guy still has alot to offer.

Jam Tarts 1874
Big difference between Eng Prem and Scottish prem I think you will find and if you care to look around, some of his saves were sheer class.

Get over it, the guy still has alot to offer.

Really bid difference? hibs 2-0 up against 'boro with quarter of the game to go and Hearts beating a very, very poor EPL side on Sunday. Outside of the EPL's big four, there is no difference.

Really bid difference? hibs 2-0 up against 'boro with quarter of the game to go and Hearts beating a very, very poor EPL side on Sunday. Outside of the EPL's big four, there is no difference.

I wouldn't read to much into the results of friendlies.

Ray Winstone

Boro are one of the poorer premiership sides.

70% of the clubs in the EPL could horse all clubs outside the OF on a regular basis.

slashishere

I'm ****ed but really are you taking the biscuit!!!

actually dont care made me smile!

Snake Plissken
If you want to live in the past, feel free to do so.

Did you watch it?

Some of those saves were from last season...

Niemi even at 50% is better than Banks is or has ever been.

rudi must stay

would be happy if he signed but i don't think he will.

For one thing it doesn't make any sense. We already have a keeper who has 1/2 seasons left so why sign another one. It would make far more sense to sign someone for the future imo

not just through sentiment niemi was 'the best' goalie ive ever seen.

someone posted that he didnt command his box....eh?????

some of his saves were breathtaking and your talking at least 3 a game the 6-2 game against the hobos would have been easy 10-2 if he wasnt between the sticks that night.

for the record i remember an interview a couple of years ago when big anti said he'd like to finish his career at tynie if hearts would have him.

time to come home anti,time to come on home!!!!

NIEMI,NIEMI,NIEMI,NIEMI!!!

Jam Tarts 1874
I'm ****ed but really are you taking the biscuit!!!

actually dont care made me smile!

Perhaps you would like to present some evidence as to why you think that EPL sides outside the top 4 are so wonderful? What results in games involving SPL sides outside of Rangers and Celtic against EPL sides outside their top 4 do you want to refer to?

I don't think you can, but I am going to have a laugh at anything you try to say in defence of your comments. Unlike you, I have been around for a while, so I know what I am talking about! :rolleyes:

Archived