SNP WIN Glasgow East ( merged threads )

Geoff Kilpatrick

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I make it 365 :confused:

Yeh, looks like I won't be taking over the numbers on Countdown anytime soon. All I heard was 10,000 and 11,000 but that's what the 'edit' button's for :P

Commander Harris
Yeh, looks like I won't be taking over the numbers on Countdown anytime soon. All I heard was 10,000 and 11,000 but that's what the 'edit' button's for :P

indeed. :)

Commander Harris
GIRUY Curran

might as well join in the fun,

GIRUY New Labour, your time is up. :)

Harry Palmer

To nationalists, it would appear that there is an inexorable march towards the break up of the United Kingdom. But not Great Britain, as I think that is the name of the largest island.

Harry Palmer
GIRUY Curran

Sorry I meant to post..... Who? Then, I realised that the new MP is a Mason.. So double who??

just hame..unbelievablw - working at 8, back through in the East End but dinny give two tittties!!

Amazing nighhtl, even the hangover will be sweet1

Geoff Kilpatrick
just hame..unbelievablw - working at 8, back through in the East End but dinny give two tittties!!

Amazing nighhtl, even the hangover will be sweet1

They'd be as well calling the next General Election now and getting it over and done with. I actually think Labour could lose even heavier than the Conservatives did in 1997.

They'd be as well calling the next General Election now and getting it over and done with. I actually think Labour could lose even heavier than the Conservatives did in 1997.

It is brilliant to see Brown being destroyed like this.

A disgusting man being destroyed in public. Brilliant.

Billy the Jambo

To all these people who are celebrating the Labour loss last night it will come back and bite us all in the ass because the alternative is Cameron and his Eton toffs.You think we have it bad just now god help us all if they get in we will be worse off they will abolish the minimum wage and privatise the NHS and anything else thats moves .It will be back to the bad old days of Thatcher i don,t want to go through that again .If or i should say when Labour lose the next election i am on the first flight out of here

SoldierPalmer

Oh happy days

Curran and her skelped *rse expression says it all!

Now when's Broon going to do us all a favour and resign!

:):):):):)

To me there is no real difference between New Labour and the Tory toffs, both have been fighting for the centre-right ground for about 8 years. Imo one of the things which swung things heavily in SNP's favor was Labours plans to scrap incapacity benefit, putting people out of work onto "community service" and the rumors that Glasgow East would be the area in which the proposals would be piloted....sounds like a Tory policy to me!

To me it was a crying shame when John Smith died as to me he could have been a Labour leader that made a real difference.

Well done the SNP.

SoldierPalmer

FULL RESULTS

John Mason (SNP) 11,277 (43.08%, +26.06%)

Margaret Curran (Lab) 10,912 (41.69%, ?18.99%)

Davena Rankin © 1,639 (6.26%, ?0.64%)

Ian Robertson (LD) 915 (3.50%, ?8.35%)

Frances Curran (SSP) 555 (2.12%, ?1.42%)

Tricia McLeish (Solidarity) 512 (1.96%)

Eileen Duke (Green) 232 (0.89%)

Chris Creighton (Ind) 67 (0.26%)

Hamish Howitt (Choice) 65 (0.25%)

interesting note - SNP only party to increase their vote (by 26.06%) - oh happy days

To all these people who are celebrating the Labour loss last night it will come back and bite us all in the ass because the alternative is Cameron and his Eton toffs.You think we have it bad just now god help us all if they get in we will be worse off they will abolish the minimum wage and privatise the NHS and anything else thats moves .It will be back to the bad old days of Thatcher i don,t want to go through that again .If or i should say when Labour lose the next election i am on the first flight out of here

As much as I would abhor a Cameron Govt at Westminster, the NHS in Scotland is pretty safe as it is a devolved responsibility and therefore under the rule of Holyrood.

For me having the Scottish Parliament is a great buffer against the excesses and myopia of Westminster.

Ultimately too, if Cameron were to behave like this then he would be responsible for the break up of the Union.

Fxxx the SPFL

It's pretty obvious that the ****ing tories are going to win the next election so it's time for a big push for independence surely we can be far better off what with wind power, wave power, oil yes there is lots more to be discovered for a country with a small population we would be far better off.

6-0 6-0 six nil six nil six nil

:107years:

As much as I would abhor a Cameron Govt at Westminster, the NHS in Scotland is pretty safe as it is a devolved responsibility and therefore under the rule of Holyrood.

For me having the Scottish Parliament is a great buffer against the excesses and myopia of Westminster.

Ultimately too, if Cameron were to behave like this then he would be responsible for the break up of the Union.

I think that there is a good chance that Brown will take a place in history not only as a disastrous Chancellor and short lived hated Prime Minister - but as the unwitting architect of the break up of the United Kingdom.

FULL RESULTS

John Mason (SNP) 11,277 (43.08%, +26.06%)

Margaret Curran (Lab) 10,912 (41.69%, ?18.99%)

Davena Rankin © 1,639 (6.26%, ?0.64%)

Ian Robertson (LD) 915 (3.50%, ?8.35%)

Frances Curran (SSP) 555 (2.12%, ?1.42%)

Tricia McLeish (Solidarity) 512 (1.96%)

Eileen Duke (Green) 232 (0.89%)

Chris Creighton (Ind) 67 (0.26%)

Hamish Howitt (Choice) 65 (0.25%)

interesting note - SNP only party to increase their vote (by 26.06%) - oh happy days

Why would Frances be bothered?:cool:

Hardly a convincing win.

And did you expect other parties to increase their percentage by 26.06% also?;)

The result and percentage is hardly surprising considering SNP's sudden popularity over the last year.

SoldierPalmer
It's pretty obvious that the ****ing tories are going to win the next election so it's time for a big push for independence surely we can be far better off what with wind power, wave power, oil yes there is lots more to be discovered for a country with a small population we would be far better off.

6-0 6-0 six nil six nil six nil

:107years:

agreed - the way to stop further Tory governments in Scotland is to vote for an independent Scotland and we'll never see a Tory Government again.

davemclaren

Hardly a convincing win.

And did you expect other parties to increase their percentage by 26.06% also?;)

The result and percentage is hardly surprising considering SNP's sudden popularity over the last year.

I think Labour were very surprised.... ;)

agreed - the way to stop further Tory governments in Scotland is to vote for an independent Scotland and we'll never see a Tory Government again.

It is possible that after an adjustment phase, that Scotland could become a much more prosperous country than the rump of the UK if after independence it rejects the welfare state, benefits culture and people rediscover self respect and invention/entrepreneurialism.

There is no doubt that Scotland has an enviable resource situation - lots of space, water, oil, long stable cultural history etc. It could be a very successful small Government strong private sector high wealth country.

SoldierPalmer

Hardly a convincing win.And did you expect other parties to increase their percentage by 26.06% also?;)

it's an astonishing win mate - vote up 26% - in an area that wasn't fertile ground for SNP in the past - well it is now :P

Labour called for it. Why now but not in Ayrshire in the Scottish elections when 100,000 votes were goosed and when 1000 were lost at sea coming to the count centre from Arran.

When this was the result?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/vote2007/scottish_parliment/html/173.stm

because those votes would primarily been for the torys and snp Arran is not in any shape or form labour territory so calling for a recount would be pointless

shaun.lawson
It is possible that after an adjustment phase, that Scotland could become a much more prosperous country than the rump of the UK if after independence it rejects the welfare state, benefits culture and people rediscover self respect and invention/entrepreneurialism.

There is no doubt that Scotland has an enviable resource situation - lots of space, water, oil, long stable cultural history etc. It could be a very successful small Government strong private sector high wealth country.

Funny how other small Western European countries generally have very successful welfare state models, isn't it? And, while I'm no defender of his record as PM at all, could you explain what you mean by describing Gordon Brown as a "disgusting man"? Surely you're not suggesting Labour shouldn't have pumped resources into schools and hospitals after the appalling state the Tories left them in, are you?

Not necessarily.

We'll have a vote up here in 2010. I'm certainly not suggesting independence - far from it, I'm not convinced - but we will IMHO have the opportunity to vote to have more powers devolved from Westminster to Hollyrood. We already look after our own NHS. Ditton education. If Hollyrood is allowed to set our tax rates independently (possibly PAYE and Council Tax or local income tax) then we can better budget ourselves.

Rest assured, if Labour lose Westminster, they will want more power devolved up here.

That will go some way to sheilding us from returning to the bad old days of a Tory government.

Funny how other small Western European countries generally have very successful welfare state models, isn't it? And, while I'm no defender of his record as PM at all, could you explain what you mean by describing Gordon Brown as a "disgusting man"? Surely you're not suggesting Labour shouldn't have pumped resources into schools and hospitals after the appalling state the Tories left them in, are you?

Brown's economic mismanagement will cause enormous misery to millions of people in this country as they find out that their retirements will be one of poverty. Add to that his deliberate cultivation of the benefits culture in order to create a natural majority for his party. It will take a brutal period of at least a decade of economic adjustment to 'cure' the devastation he has caused to the economy.

Add to that his role in the disastrous constitutional meddling in virtually all parts of the political system including his politicisation of the civil service.

Add to that his role in the killing of hundreds of thousands of innocent people in the 2 illegal wars the UK has started - with hundreds of our soldiers dead and maimed in unwinnable wars.

And add to that the most disgusting little thing of all - 2 years ago when he staged his attempted coup against Blair - which failed - he was on the chat show sofas that week dragging up the memory of his dead son in order to rebuild his popularity. He disgusts me.

it's an astonishing win mate - vote up 26% - in an area that wasn't fertile ground for SNP in the past - well it is now :P

if the conversation changes from punishing Labour to voting for the destruction of the united kingdom you will discover just how unfertile is the clyde valley especially glasgow east

what he said

yvonnejambo

Originally Posted by Billy the Jambo View Post

Firstly got to say well done SNP very good job done and well deserved.

As for your points Billy, Labour have no chance of getting back in power and the Tories will be in, but for Scotland I think that maybe a good thing. Now before you start I am the biggest ani tory going but they know they need to make ammends to the scottish population and have failed us badly in the past so I reckon a lot of making up to do to us.

To me its a win win situation SNP rule Scotland and hopefully we will become independent, but Tories in at Westminster and they might target Scotland as a priority to get on side. We will not be going back to the Thatcher years when she used Scotland as an experiment site for poll tax and slave labour in the form of training schemes for peanuts.

SoldierPalmer
if the conversation changes from punishing Labour to voting for the destruction of the united kingdom you will discover just how unfertile is the clyde valley especially glasgow east

Curran's campaign heaviliy pushed the 'independence' fear factor and branded John Mason as an 'independence hardliner' and all to no avail as Glasgow east still voted for the SNP :)

doctor jambo

The Union is dead in the water

The Scots dont want tethered to a corrupt failing Labour party ruling from England, nor do they want ruled by the Tories after the next general election

By the time of the referendum it will be a foregone conclusion

We will be at the bottom of the economic cycle, and the oil wealth could be spun as a way out

Independence is a shoe in

SoldierPalmer

Billy,

As long as Scotland is part of the UK, Scotland can vote Labour as much as it likes and if England want a Tory government that's what Scotland will get.

The old politic days of it's Labour or the Tories have gone - the way to rid Scotland of the Tories is to vote for the SNP and vote for independence - in an independent Scotland it's very doubltful you'd ever see a Tory government again.

Agreed.

The way all the factors are coming together for Salmond and the SNP is incredible - a political 'perfect storm'.

It is so refreshing to see voters actually think about where they mark their slip, rather than just blindly putting their 'X' beside whoever Labour put up.

Interesting, and rather exciting, times for Scotland.

Salmond has played a fantastic long game waiting for this opportunity. Brown has given him the opportunity though.

I wonder if we are going to move from the 'could independence happen' to the 'what will happen after independence' stage in political commentary soon? For example - would the SNP split after independence? Would there be a realignment of Scottish politics away from traditional parties into a Statist, centre ground, libertarian set of groupings?

Curran's campaign heaviliy pushed the 'independence' fear factor and branded John Mason as an 'independence hardliner' and all to no avail as Glasgow east still voted for the SNP :)

mate a shockingly poor campaign door to door plus some staggering **** ups from Westminster re the benefit shake ups (a real local issue )from labour and i understand though violently disagree with the aspirations of the snp and i can see what a lovely morning it must be for the snp membership and foot soldiers but glasgow east will not vote for independence nor will Lanarkshire nor will Ayrshire personally i wish they would call a vote so we could put this **** to bed once and for all

SoldierPalmer
mate a shockingly poor campaign door to door plus some staggering **** ups from Westminster re the benefit shake ups (a real local issue )from labour and i understand though violently disagree with the aspirations of the snp and i can see what a lovely morning it must be for the snp membership and foot soldiers but glasgow east will not vote for independence nor will Lanarkshire nor will Ayrshire personally i wish they would call a vote so we could put this **** to bed once and for all

be patient mate - you'll get your chance in 2010.

:)

be patient mate - you'll get your chance in 2010.

:)

wish they would do it a week on Thursday, the thing that depresses me most about nationalism, after the fact that they want to rob me of my nationality, is that so much political time and energy are spent debating and arguing about it.That IMHO would be better spent addressing the very real problems of the united kingdom and its various regions

jamboinglasgow

Ok let me say I am devastated at the result. Not the fact that SNP won over Labour, hate both of them, but I think John Mason is one of the most creepy politicions I have seen for a while. He says (more than most politicions) what people want to hear. He blames labour for things which are strictly the jurisdiction of the SNP government. He tries to tack a pot-shot at the Labour candidate about having two jobs only to forget his boss has the same posistion as well. He is an extereme nationalist as well which is not needed.

doctor jambo

Add into the mix waht I regard as a foregone conclusion of a Football "team GB" in 2012 at the olympics, and it is going to be very interesting

Imagine if Scotland as a footballing entity being swallowed by England

IMagine the political mileage in THAT for the SNP

The SNP would be the only party that could guarantee an independent Scotland team in perpetuity after 2012

Salmond has no need to look for ammo, he has it in spades

There is a lot of nonsense being spoken on this thread, exactly what I expect from the shed! Keep it up!

It's very encouraging to see Labours grip on power slipping away, and ushering us along the path to a Conservative Government, which I will welcome.

It was also a good result for the Conservatives, who moved up a place into 3rd, overtaking the Lib Dems despite their "famous by election machine" they lost their deposit and their voters.

Their seems to be an idea that if Scotland goes independant that that would be the end of the Conservatives, but that is cleary guff, the Conservatives would still be around offering the only centre right, low taxation, small state alternative to the other socialist parties that clutter the scene in Scotland. and I reckon a low tax small tax alternative will be needed more than ever in the sad event of Scottish independance.

The tired old chat of Tories being against the NHS, scrapping the minimum wage et al is not even close to fact, and is barely worthy of a rebuttal. It does the political debate on this board no credit to get down to such old myths and scare stories.

Where is the hope for Labour now in the run up to the general election? That something will turn up? That the unions will force them into populist short term policies?

Would seem to me that Brown will take them into one of the biggest ever drubbings in UK political history. Surely the only hope for Labour supporters is that Brown is deposed and absolutely everything he has ever done is renounced by the deposers?

There is a lot of nonsense being spoken on this thread, exactly what I expect from the shed! Keep it up!

It's very encouraging to see Labours grip on power slipping away, and ushering us along the path to a Conservative Government, which I will welcome.

It was also a good result for the Conservatives, who moved up a place into 3rd, overtaking the Lib Dems despite their "famous by election machine" they lost their deposit and their voters.

Their seems to be an idea that if Scotland goes independant that that would be the end of the Conservatives, but that is cleary guff, the Conservatives would still be around offering the only centre right, low taxation, small state alternative to the other socialist parties that clutter the scene in Scotland. and I reckon a low tax small tax alternative will be needed more than ever in the sad event of Scottish independance.

The tired old chat of Tories being against the NHS, scrapping the minimum wage et al is not even close to fact, and is barely worthy of a rebuttal. It does the political debate on this board no credit to get down to such old myths and scare stories.

Why do you think that the Conservatives in Scotland - particularly in Edinburgh - have been so feckless in recent years.

Look at Edinburgh in recent years. The congestion tax referendum showed that the people hate what the Council have been doing. Could be clear blue water if the Conservatives stood on a platform of rolling back everything that the Council have done in the last 20 years, particularly on transport. An open goal - yet the Conservatives went native and supported the trams, continuing traffic congestion creation etc. Why are they so stupid?

doctor jambo

I agree, I am a Tory too.

The Tories could flourish in an independent state, and I, for one, would welcome it

were Scotland to be independent I believe it could be very wealthy indeed, a prime breeding ground for the right, adn Ithink that deep down the working Scot is not only right wing, but pretty conservative too

If the Tories in the North could separate themselves from the Etonites, they would see a resurgence

davemclaren

This is true. If Scotland did get independence then it's all start again for political parties. It's hard to see what would happen to the SNP if it happened as many of its members would leave to join other parties more accurately reflecting their political views.

Archived