They only sold 2000 less than us for the biggest derby ever

vegas-voss

shaun.lawson

Am I the only Hearts fan around anywhere who:

1. Doesn't care how big or small the Hibs turnout was at the semi-final?

2. Doesn't care what their gate will be for the Barca friendly?

3. While acknowledging that we're a bigger club than they are, finds the sight of grown men arguing the toss over whose ****** is a sixteenth of an inch bigger obsessive, embarrassing, and a massive hostage to fortune for the times when, such as only last season, they do better than us?

4. Knows that there have been plenty of occasions in the modern era when we've not exactly turned out in our droves either?

Genuine questions, all.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apparently there's only one or two left. You might not get a whole section to yourself now if you've left it this late. :P

Ohhh that's a right sickner mate, was so looking forward to watching the Catalan Giants v The Matalan Giants...

Oh well then ;)

Morrissey1914

Think the problem for that game was for some obscure reason Hibs Board (encouraged by some dimwitted vocal fans who seemed to think Hearts would have home advantage despite having lost every game they have played there) were happy for their fans to be expected to trek through to Glasgow when an obvious alternative was available, so a lot of their fans told Petrie to stuff it. Hearts Board called for comon sense to prevail but were knocked by back by Hibs and the SFA so there was less of a reaction from some Hibs fans.

And their ticketing arrangement being shambles weak excuse admittedly but they did not help, but you have to be fair and acknowledge Hibs would have sold whatever their allocation was had the game being at Murrayfield, the real problem was the Hibs Board rather than the majority of Hibs fans (those who post often on hibs.net tend not to be representative, get far more rational debate if go on Hibees Bounce).

The Mighty Thor

3. While acknowledging that we're a bigger club than they are, finds the sight of grown men arguing the toss over whose ****** is a sixteenth of an inch bigger obsessive, embarrassing, and a massive hostage to fortune for the times when, such as only last season, they do better than us?

4. Knows that there have been plenty of occasions in the modern era when we've not exactly turned out in our droves either?

Genuine questions, all.

Sean valid points one and all. However, as you point out we had to endure a pretty poor, though self inflicted, holocaust of a season and listened to that shower bang on. This is the earliest opportunity for the natural order to be restored, and we haven't even kicked a ball in anger.

Chad Sexington

Genuine questions, all.

Maybe if you didn't live in the leafy suburbs of Oxford and actually had to live cheek by jowl with the rodents, you would have a different attitude.

Guest gorgie kev
What a bell-end 'Beefster' is.

Despite the blatantly obvious being pointed out to him by Audioslave he ploughs on regardless. Firstly he gets called out on one of his posts then claims he didn't post it, It was only 5 posts above. Then he comes out with the classic 'there were huge gaps of blue seats in your end likesy'.

Him claiming they sold 2,000 less tickets is as plausible as him claiming he has an IQ over 70.

He's clearly been on the receiving end of the beefster for too long.

Beefster is talking

long-turd-big.jpg

shaun.lawson
Sean valid points one and all. However, as you point out we had to endure a pretty poor, though self inflicted, holocaust of a season and listened to that shower bang on. This is the earliest opportunity for the natural order to be restored, and we haven't even kicked a ball in anger.

True - but of course, it's our choice if we wanted to listen to them or not last season. They're our rivals, and I generally love most things that go with it: but personally, the only Hearts/Hibs comparison I'm really bothered about is whether our team is better than theirs. The other stuff - the semi-final, who gets bigger gates and so on, leaves me cold to be honest.

Walter Payton

Genuine questions, all.

Shaun, while I'd never dream to suggest you're not a "real" Hearts fan (I believe you are) I would suggest that not coming to games or ever having lived in the city would prohibit you from being able to empathise with the feelings of rivalrly between Hearts fans and that lot and how they play out in day to day environments where you might have this sort of banter face to face. I get the feeling from your post (and I might be wrong) that you believe threads like this are immature or beneath any reasonable person- I'd argue that the rivalry and "who can **** the highest" contests are a large part of what being an Edinburgh football supporter is all about.

shaun.lawson
Maybe if you didn't live in the leafy suburbs of Oxford and actually had to live cheek by jowl with the rodents, you would have a different attitude.

You may well be right. Certainly, I imagine having to go to work alongside Hearts and Hibs fans on a Monday morning makes a big difference to how any fan based in Edinburgh views all this - but again, it's the here and now I'm bothered about, not tired old debates about 'size' which, when the OF are considered within the bigger picture, are like two bald men fighting over a comb.

shaun.lawson
Shaun, while I'd never dream to suggest you're not a "real" Hearts fan (I believe you are) I would suggest that not coming to games or ever having lived in the city would prohibit you from being able to empathise with the feelings of rivalrly between Hearts fans and that lot and how they play out in day to day environments where you might have this sort of banter face to face. I get the feeling from your post (and I might be wrong) that you believe threads like this are immature or beneath any reasonable person- I'd argue that the rivalry and "who can **** the highest" contests are a large part of what being an Edinburgh football supporter is all about.

Fair enough, CC. The bit I've emboldened, I'm sure you're right about (I do go to games, mind you!). And it's not that I think threads like these are immature: it's more that I'm just bored of them I guess. But then, that's my problem anyway - and as others will point out, if I don't like it, I could just ignore the threads.

Charlie-Brown

It's all just a good laugh and anyway according to sergey and fat-mikey we will be lucky to survive the week / month / year / indefinite-period before Hearts, Ukio, UBIG, Romanov and even Cala-Homes who will build flats on tynecastle's hallowed turf are bankrupted and Hibs become officially Edinburgh's BIG team. :)

marshallschunkychicken
Fair enough, CC. The bit I've emboldened, I'm sure you're right about (I do go to games, mind you!). And it's not that I think threads like these are immature: it's more that I'm just bored of them I guess. But then, that's my problem anyway - and as others will point out, if I don't like it, I could just ignore the threads.

I think this is the crux of it, Shaun.

It's pre-season, we haven't kicked a ball in anger yet. When you don't have 10 other teams to hate with the same venom, the local rivals get it in spades. This leads to a certain amount of repetition, of going over old ground.

I think the p*ss-taking will be evened out once the season starts, when at any one time, we'll hate the team we just played, and the team we play next.

hearts_crazy

Genuine questions, all.

Hearts ****** is a lot more than a sixteenth of an inch bigger than Hibs though. This (and the pathetic turnout at various other semi's and finals and poor turnout when they came back with the wee cup etc) proves we have a LOT more supporters than them, i.e. we are a bigger club.

It has to be said though that this may well become our '7-0'. The one thing that we state more than anything else in a game of oneupmanship with hobos.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Genuine questions, all.

I actually don't care either. I'm just laughing at the attempts at justifying the crowd!

shaun.lawson
Regarding Hearts and Hibs in particular - Not having a go but most of us have lived with this type of banter in and around Edinburgh since we were nippers. In the late 70s/very early 80s we got it tight off the hibbies (probably for most of the 60s and 70s too). That may be a reason. Where hearts fans come from or how long they have supported the team means nowt to me - just explaining it from an Edinburgh boy born early 70s perspective.

Regarding this type of banter in general. I don't see any problem with it, e.g. I wouldn't sit down the pub with my hibs mates going on and on about the size of their support at that game but can have a chuckle about this type of thing now and then.

PS - Your fourth point is of course entirely correct in it's own context but what you forget is that that was the biggest derby since the 1901 SC semi, with an almost certain first cup since 1902 for Hibs if they beat us. Hibs also made fools of themselves over the Hampden/Murrayfield nonsense and at the end of the day it was them who suffered (in terms of lack of support off the pitch).

Thanks BB: a fair, interesting response. On the bit I've emboldened: I've written before about the oddly mixed feelings I had after the semi-final itself. And you know what I've just realised? It's because it was too easy.

Believe me, I know how ridiculous that makes me sound: Hearts fan complains because victory in massively important local derby was too easy! In that case, there's clearly no pleasing me, is there? But it's true: it was just weird. Strangely low Hibs turnout - they knew they were going to get hammered, they were hammered - and somehow, the edge of the day was taken right out for me. Does that make any sense? :wacko: Because what I love about the rivalry is, generally, each and every victory means something, achieved against opponents who are in many ways just like ourselves, and judge their club on how it does against us just as we do against them. And, in the most important derby for over a century, I somehow never felt that.

Incidentally, one side issue on the whole "we're bigger than you" stuff. It's generally harmless, and often very amusing (in case there's any doubt in anyone reading this, Hibernian FC have provided me with continual and ongoing amusement for many years, and that ain't going to change any time soon!) - but I wonder if sometimes, we're so intent on proving how 'big' we are that it leads us to spend far, far more than we can afford, and almost never see the problem in this, even when it just pushes our debt ever higher? Is it, in another words, something about us that we ended up where we were under Pieman, and where we are now under Romanov, while others live within their means?

Genuine questions, all.

1. I do care as it was great to see us have such a big crowd compared to them. Don't feel the need to debate it though as it is clear for all to see that the Hibs end was an embarassment.

2. Couldn't care less about the attendance in the Barcelona game.

3. Whilst we clearly are the bigger team in support, records etc I'm not bothered enough to debate it.

4. Every team has had a low turnout at some point but that is irrelevant as the semi was the biggest derby in years.

shaun.lawson
I actually don't care either. I'm just laughing at the attempts at justifying the crowd!

Yes. I took a look at the thread in question, and started laughing myself. As I've said, I'm really not bothered either way: if only people on that thread could take a similar attitude, instead of choosing to protest way, way too much! From what I've read, the people making that argument are not so much waving, but drowning... :)

Geoff Kilpatrick
Thanks BB: a fair, interesting response. On the bit I've emboldened: I've written before about the oddly mixed feelings I had after the semi-final itself. And you know what I've just realised? It's because it was too easy.

Believe me, I know how ridiculous that makes me sound: Hearts fan complains because victory in massively important local derby was too easy! In that case, there's clearly no pleasing me, is there? But it's true: it was just weird. Strangely low Hibs turnout - they knew they were going to get hammered, they were hammered - and somehow, the edge of the day was taken right out for me. Does that make any sense? :wacko: Because what I love about the rivalry is, generally, each and every victory means something, achieved against opponents who are in many ways just like ourselves, and judge their club on how it does against us just as we do against them. And, in the most important derby for over a century, I somehow never felt that.

Incidentally, one side issue on the whole "we're bigger than you" stuff. It's generally harmless, and often very amusing (in case there's any doubt in anyone reading this, Hibernian FC have provided me with continual and ongoing amusement for many years, and that ain't going to change any time soon!) - but I wonder if sometimes, we're so intent on proving how 'big' we are that it leads us to spend far, far more than we can afford, and almost never see the problem in this, even when it just pushes our debt ever higher? Is it, in another words, something about us that we ended up where we were under Pieman, and where we are now under Romanov, while others live within their means?

Until I got to Hampden that day, I was worried because we all knew what was at stake. If they had beaten us and gone on to get rid of that jinx we would have never heard the end of it. Indeed, there would be a few more Jambos out this way for starters! ;)

So, I disregard how easy our victory was that day because the victory itself was the all-important part. That we strolled to a 4-0 humping, thanks to Zibi's magic box of tricks, was just a bonus.

Think the problem for that game was for some obscure reason Hibs Board (encouraged by some dimwitted vocal fans who seemed to think Hearts would have home advantage despite having lost every game they have played there) were happy for their fans to be expected to trek through to Glasgow when an obvious alternative was available, so a lot of their fans told Petrie to stuff it. Hearts Board called for comon sense to prevail but were knocked by back by Hibs and the SFA so there was less of a reaction from some Hibs fans.

And their ticketing arrangement being shambles weak excuse admittedly but they did not help, but you have to be fair and acknowledge Hibs would have sold whatever their allocation was had the game being at Murrayfield, the real problem was the Hibs Board rather than the majority of Hibs fans (those who post often on hibs.net tend not to be representative, get far more rational debate if go on Hibees Bounce).

What a load of tripe.

If Hibs fans figures are correct and Hearts sold 35,000 then that would leave Hibs with an allocation of 16k to 17k depending on the number of seats removed from the 52,000 Hampden capacity.

So if you use 17,000 as a yardstick for a FULL Hampden they must have sold about 10,000 tickets for the MOST important Derby match ever!!

Rick Grimes

its just possible that they may actually be telling the truth on this one, IF they were sharing seats.

now, what possible reason could Hobos have for sitting on each other's, umm..., let's say laps...

shaun.lawson
Hearts ****** is a lot more than a sixteenth of an inch bigger than Hibs though. This (and the pathetic turnout at various other semi's and finals and poor turnout when they came back with the wee cup etc) proves we have a LOT more supporters than them, i.e. we are a bigger club.

It has to be said though that this may well become our '7-0'. The one thing that we state more than anything else in a game of oneupmanship with hobos.

Um, OK. It's maybe about half an inch bigger instead! ;)

To be serious though: one thing I like about us is we're nowhere near as obsessed with one particular game, no doubt reasoning that our history over the piece pretty much ends the argument. Their fascination with just two individual games is, frankly, hilarious: not least because, as far as I'm concerned, 6-2 was cancelled out by 5-1 less than two years later, and we've beaten them by four clear goals on two further occasions since; and if I were a Hibs fan, whenever 7-0 was brought up, I'd probably be the one asking "but Daddy - why didn't the team that beat Hearts 7-0 win more trophies? And I'm not talking about the Dryborough Cup!"

Then, finally, is their neverending mention of a game that actually, had nothing whatsoever to do with them anyway! Somewhere out there, I bet there were Hibs fans who actually felt sorry for us that day, not that anyone would know it now, of course... It's over 22 years ago now, folks: get over it! :rolleyes:

Jog on Hobo - there is NO WAY in Hell that you would have 'found' an additional 22,000 fans to fill your end of Murrayfield! Oh and btw we actually WON our first game at Murrayfield when we beat Braga 3-1.

The reason Hibs fans, to a man, complained about Murrayfield is simply because Hearts requested it. Pathetic and small-minded and the cost in money, time and co2 to transport those 19,000 Hearts fans through to Glasgow was just ridiculous - all because of Hibernian's inferiority complex and petty beligerence.

The People's Chimp
Have these pictures been posted on wallopers.net ?

I think they should be.

Surely this would finally end the debate for good.

These pictures are , quite literally , a huge embarassment for any hobo and a shameful reminder of just how few fans they can muster for a crucial game.

Funny how they managed to rustle up 30 odd thousand for a wee cup final they only had to turn up to win eh ?

PWNED.

It was Mowbray who was dead against the game being played at Murrayfield and he was supported by the Hibs fans and board. Hearts fans had to travel just as far as our Hobo neighbours so that's no sort of excuse any way. I see that the flair that has long since departed your clubs playing style has also departed your fans skill at excuse making. How many tickets sold for the Barca game again? :P

The People's Chimp

There were also the terrible actions of the police turning back all those hibs buses on the M8.

I've not heard that excuse trotted out for a while.

There were also the terrible actions of the police turning back all those hibs buses on the M8.

There were approximately 400 buses turned back apparently. That accounts for the missing 10'000 Hobos y'see. :)

blondejamtart

I'm just amused that anyone thinks there are Hibs fans capable of "rational" debate anywhere, quite frankly....:rofl:

The collective excuse making that has become the norm on hibs.net is hilarious. I urge anyone who wants a laugh to check it out. We all know that they have historically had to make plenty of excuses and hilarious claims to glory such as floodlights, flair etc to compensate for their lack of achievement, but they are truly excelling themselves at the moment. It seems they are pretty worried about Mixu's lack of managerial / tactical ability, their flairless hoofball ethos and their lack of talented players. If i didn't know any better, i'd say the tables are definitely turning.

Hibernian - a comedy football club for cartoon characters.

:rofl:

The Mighty Thor
hobofc.jpg

That's just beautiful.

In another time you would have been getting some positive rep my friend! :)

Morrissey1914

This is a nonsense excuse, buses searched were not turned back, I understand they did not even confiscate the booze they found, and they only took conveners name - there were no charges.

This is a nonsense excuse, buses searched were not turned back, I understand they did not even confiscate the booze they found, and they only took conveners name - there were no charges.

I think it's safe to say that he already knew that.

Morrissey1914
Jog on Hobo - there is NO WAY in Hell that you would have 'found' an additional 22,000 fans to fill your end of Murrayfield! Oh and btw we actually WON our first game at Murrayfield when we beat Braga 3-1.

The reason Hibs fans, to a man, complained about Murrayfield is simply because Hearts requested it. Pathetic and small-minded and the cost in money, time and co2 to transport those 19,000 Hearts fans through to Glasgow was just ridiculous - all because of Hibernian's inferiority complex and petty beligerence.

Btw I attend games at Hibs and Hearts and have had season tickets for both clubs in the past (though more at ER in recent years I admit), please do not fall for the irritating hibs.net trait of calling anyone who expresses a view that does not suit the consensus a Hobo.

Hibs fans did not to a man complain although a pathetic and vocal minority as you describe did, and the Board of Hibs were rewarded with the kind of support on that day that their attitude deserved and for which many Hibs fans will never forgive them. Do you seriously not think many more Edinburgh/Leith people would not have been up for a Derby played locally (if they can take 40,000 to a final in Glasgow do you not think a semi derby in Edinburgh would attract at least the same), and for that matter a lot more Hearts fans would have been there too.

Btw I attend games at Hibs and Hearts and have had season tickets for both clubs in the past (though more at ER in recent years I admit), please do not fall for the irritating hibs.net trait of calling anyone who expresses a view that does not suit the consensus a Hobo.

Hibs fans did not to a man complain although a pathetic and vocal minority as you describe did, and the Board of Hibs were rewarded with the kind of support on that day that their attitude deserved and for which many Hibs fans will never forgive them. Do you seriously not think many more Edinburgh/Leith people would not have been up for a Derby played locally (if they can take 40,000 to a final in Glasgow do you not think a semi derby in Edinburgh would attract at least the same), and for that matter a lot more Hearts fans would have been there too.

What final was this then ?

The People's Chimp

Thanks to hibs.net for providing us with one of the most unintentionally hilarious thread in a long time. They'll be calling for us to be banned from europe next...oh wait a minute...they've already done that!

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, so they say, so perhaps degenerate and his band of merry denialist hobos could eat humble pie, look at the links to photos provided by top hibby baiter le chat and face facts. The hubz end is a disgraceful wasteland of empty seats, while the hearts end is, basically, rammed. I do feel for the sensible hibby (a rare breed) who looks at flumpocracy.net and can only cringe as excuse after denial after excuse is wheeled out, time after time.

At least morrisey is admitting a problem, although i think he'd be better blaming sir tony of mowbray CHMP for the decision to play at hampden. After all, the hubz fans opposed the move to murrayfield, simply because we'd proposed it. oh and of course they fancied themselves on hampden's "wide open spaces..." PMSL.

Sorry but that is nonsense, if any Hibs fan really wanted a ticket for that match they would have been there,they chose not to go because they thought they were in for a hiding (they were right) and took so many fans through to the Livvy final because they thought they were certs to win the cup (they were wrong)

http://www.upyarkilt.com/ciscup03_04.html

The FACTS are that there were 45,500 at the CIS cup final in 2004 ( I presume this was the cup final you were alluding to in your last post).

The MYTH is that 40k of these were hobo fans.

I work beside a Livi fan and their allocation was 15k of which they sold amost 9.5k.

So the most the hobos could have had was 36k but when you extract sponsors , corporates etc. the TRUE figure was most likely between 25 and 30k MAX.

Nowhere near the 40k nonsense which seems to have been accepted as the truth over on bellends.net.

winston churchill
What final was this then ?

i think he is slavering about the final.

when they got done doggy from the works team from crew toll.

The People's Chimp
i think he is slavering about the final.

when they got done doggy from the works team from crew toll.

ah, pumped by ferranti thistle. whatever happened to their parade round leith that year?

Commander Harris

2/4/6, the facts:

The capacity of hampden is 52,103.

The attendance was 43,180.

This leaves 8923 empty seats.

discounting "neutrals" this would mean that for the hobo "fact" to be correct there would have to be approx 5,461 empty Hibs seats and approximately 3462 empty Hearts seats.

This was clearly not the case, there were some empty seats in our end but they were no where near approaching 3500.

therefore the hobo is a trumpet.

QED.

winston churchill
ah, pumped by ferranti thistle. whatever happened to their parade round leith that year?

dont worry

they got their money back on the open top bus.

Guest JamboRobbo
the hobo is a trumpet.

You should've just jumped to that bit. It's not a statement which requires proof. :P

Commander Harris
You should've just jumped to that bit. It's not a statement which requires proof. :P

fair point. :)

The People's Chimp
dont worry

they got their money back on the open top bus.

Fiscal prudence at it's finest...

winston churchill
Fiscal prudence at it's finest...

wee charlie chaplins a fly boy;)

it's the poor bus driver i feel sorry for.

he was bumped out of a double time shift for a sunday.

Ryan Gosling

Another statistic:

Hibs sold 90% of their tickets for the semi final, but families were split up, hence the massive gaping holes.

If Hibs fans figures are correct and Hearts sold 35,000 then that would leave Hibs with an allocation of 16k to 17k depending on the number of seats removed from the 52,000 Hampden capacity.

So if you use 17,000 as a yardstick for a FULL Hampden they must have sold about 10,000 tickets for the MOST important Derby match ever!!

not a chance

nowhere near 10,000 fans

I would say in all fairness 5-6K

QOS had more fans recently at Hampden!!

The People's Chimp
See here.

degenerated even calls another poster a "dullard".

degenerated calling anyone a dullard whilst not looking in the mirror is even funnier than the original point of the 'only 2000 tickets less'.

Irony has never been one of his strong points. Mind you, neither has intelligence, wit, insight or a grip on reality.

Rudi Skacel

If the Hobos were all grouped together like we were, there would be empty sections never mind seats.

Archived