Best guitarist in the past 30 years.

200milesfromgorgie

200milesfromgorgie

OK who is the best guitarist in the past 30 years? why 30 years? well if i said ever then this debate wouldn't be able to end and 30 years ago punk was about so music (well rock anyway) started from scratch.

I'm gonna go for 1 - Mike McCready (Pearl Jam)

2 - J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.)

3 - John Squire (Stone Roses)

200milesfromgorgie
Jimmy Page

Thread closed

Past 30 years? i should of said that have arrived iin the past 30 years.

Plus if its all time the Jimi was much better that Jimmy.

Past 30 years? i should of said that have arrived iin the past 30 years.

Plus if its all time the Jimi was much better that Jimmy.

hmmm not sure about that but...

Steve Vai must be one of the most talented guitar players to arrive in the last 30yrs, pity most of his solo stuff isnt that great

200milesfromgorgie
hmmm not sure about that but...

Steve Vai must be one of the most talented guitar players to arrive in the last 30yrs, pity most of his solo stuff isnt that great

the 'zep are on 6 music just now, you have a point but jimi is jimi ;)

slash

Great autobiography. Got up to some ridiculous stuff.:P

I have enjoyed John Squire's guitar most - but that is all wrapped up in the brilliance of the Roses.

the 'zep are on 6 music just now, you have a point but jimi is jimi ;)

Thing is with Zep was the ideas and thought that Page and Jones put into the music, from the tunings of the likes of 'The rain song' to the unheard of use of scales in popular music, like the Hindu Scale in 'Ten years gone'. The brilliance of the guitar solo in 'Since I've been loving you'

The other Jimi had a sheer natural talent and amazing ear (not saying Page didnt either). Hendrix was the first to recognise that the electric guitar was also a electronic instument. Songs like Villanova Junction and 1983.... are just top notch in using the guitar in a new way

neil schon

al di meola

over 30 years ago

Koss true original , followed by Alvin Lee the zal Cleminson

jonny greenwood

joey santiago (pixies)

the latter is one of the most under-rated guitarists ever. a total genius, both melodic and atmospheric, sometimes beautiful, usually just ****ed up (in a good way)

Andrew Ridgley in terms of chart success I would imagine.

However it all depends if you are looking for an effective guitarist who contributes to a song, Johnny Marr or John Squire. Or someone who writes a song based around their talent, Stever Vai, Joe Satriani.

So I'm going to go with Paul Leary as he was the last one I saw live.

However it all depends if you are looking for an effective guitarist who contributes to a song, Johnny Marr or John Squire. Or someone who writes a song based around their talent, Stever Vai, Joe Satriani.

i think you kinda judge it on how well what they play compliments the music around it...

The People's Chimp
OK who is the best guitarist in the past 30 years? why 30 years? well if i said ever then this debate wouldn't be able to end and 30 years ago punk was about so music (well rock anyway) started from scratch.

I'm gonna go for 1 - Mike McCready (Pearl Jam)

2 - J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.)

3 - John Squire (Stone Roses)

I'd agree with you about mascis and squire. I can't see beyond either, to be honest, but mascis just edges it, for the amazing, overblown, ear piercing and downright ****ing solos.

and it's gotta be jimi for all time great.

I thought your 'PC turned on' was great but this is even better.

Andrew Ridgley :confused::)

DemonCleaner
Tom Morello

Always found him a bit overrated imo.

Josh Homme is probably my favorite of recent times. His work in Kyuss was outstanding.

some good mentions too with j macis, mike mcready, squire etc.

Don't really like people like SRV and joe satriani, for all their technical ability, they don't seem to know how to write a good song.

I P Knightley

If we're talking those who only came to prominence after 1977 (so no Gilmour, Clapton etc.) then I'd go for either Prince or Mark Knopfler - although Knopfler probably dates a little before '77, not sure.

There you have it.

2 marks if you put down "Prince"

2 marks if you put down "Knopfler"

You can have 1 mark if you put down "Squire, Marr or Slash"

Anytghing else; no marks.

Robbos Right Peg

The wee Bolivian guy in Rose Street is pretty good i even chucked 50p at him the other day

200milesfromgorgie
If we're talking those who only came to prominence after 1977 (so no Gilmour, Clapton etc.) then I'd go for either Prince or Mark Knopfler - although Knopfler probably dates a little before '77, not sure.

There you have it.

2 marks if you put down "Prince"

2 marks if you put down "Knopfler"

You can have 1 mark if you put down "Squire, Marr or Slash"

Anytghing else; no marks.

:eek:

Archived