Wrap up third - Season has been a success

vegas-voss

ShortmanRossco
1 hour ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Nah mate ....you're wrong. They're not some mythical superpower that can never be beaten. Aberdeen beat them on a regular basis (against all odds). when fergie  was in charge . He instilled in his team a winning mindset when it came to playing the OF. And it worked 

Exactly. Football hasn’t changed in 40 years at all. This reference still totally works.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sir PH

• Bazzas right boot

• Sooks

• If carlsberg did rivals...

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, Boris said:

Is rocket surgery like brain science?

That aside, finish third, made the semi final of both cups reads as a good season.

I guess any grumblings are caused by frustration at being unable to overcome an extremely average Rangers side in both cups.

This extremely average rangers side won the league Cup,  got bettered by Benfica in the 1/4 finals of the Europa by a goal and could win a treble or double.

It's been overly used those wanting to stick the boot in.

They use "average" or "poor" rangers rather than just Rangers/ hun ***** so it sounds better in their small minds.

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, ShortmanRossco said:

Exactly. Football hasn’t changed in 40 years at all. This reference still totally works.

Apart from the huge increase in the old firm economic disparity, you are correct. 

ShortmanRossco
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Apart from the huge increase in the old firm economic disparity, you are correct. 

Strange I forgot to factor that in (!)

😁

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, ShortmanRossco said:

Strange I forgot to factor that in (!)

😁

And possibly the best manager, ever.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

And possibly the best manager, ever.

Just details.

Apart from that nothing has changed.

ShortmanRossco
3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Just details.

Apart from that nothing has changed.

It almost feels like the guy is trying to outdo himself every time with the increasing lunacy of his posts.

He’s succeeding to his credit.

saxondale

Clearly it has been a successful season for us.

It's bizzare to think otherwise.

5 hours ago, Sir PH said:

The 2020 final v Celtic we sat back and were 2-0 down in no time. Neilson realised there was only one thing for it, released the handbrake and went for it. 

Pretty sure we won the cup in 98 because JJ was sick of getting hammered after "having a go" so changed to a more cagey performance.

8 minutes ago, cazzyy said:

Pretty sure we won the cup in 98 because JJ was sick of getting hammered after "having a go" so changed to a more cagey performance.

We were holding on like crazy for the last twenty minutes of real time at least 

36 minutes ago, cazzyy said:

Aye, and the last 10 minutes felt like 10 hours.

26 minutes ago, Sooks said:

We were holding on like crazy for the last twenty minutes of real time at least 

God forbid but if they had scored...... doesn't bear thinking about.

5 minutes ago, cazzyy said:

God forbid but if they had scored...... doesn't bear thinking about.

Absolutely . I sometimes wonder if people remember these things properly . I was absolutely shitting myself with a fair old bit to go 

upgotheheads
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

This extremely average rangers side won the league Cup,  got bettered by Benfica in the 1/4 finals of the Europa by a goal and could win a treble or double.

They use "average" or "poor" rangers rather than just Rangers/ hun ***** so it sounds better in their small minds.

Who's the Bazza you take your tag from, or is it just a misspelling of Gazza?

3 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I guess when you see Ross County beating them, then Dundee drawing with them prior to our semi hopes get raised.

Vlad Magic
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Who's the Bazza you take your tag from, or is it just a misspelling of Gazza?

I always thought it was Barry from Eastenders?

Could be wrong.

spirt of 98
14 hours ago, Sir PH said:

Why shouldn't we expect to win a cup more often than we do? 

Because history dictates we won’t do you are only disappointed every year when we don’t. 

jr ewing
34 minutes ago, Boris said:

I guess when you see Ross County beating them, then Dundee drawing with them prior to our semi hopes get raised.

Both set up to frustrate them. It worked. 

8 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Because history dictates we won’t do you are only disappointed every year when we don’t. 

Oh right, because it's been shit in the past, that's the way it always has to be? Got it!

spirt of 98
2 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

Oh right, because it's been shit in the past, that's the way it always has to be? Got it!

It’s not been shit. It’s been a brilliant rollercoasters. However barring a Saudi Prince buying the club. We will always be third best. 

36 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

It’s not been shit. It’s been a brilliant rollercoasters. However barring a Saudi Prince buying the club. We will always be third best. 

We shouldn't need a Saudi Prince to win more than we have. 

10 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Both set up to frustrate them. It worked. 

Hang on, I thought we were slating the team for not "having a go"?

upgotheheads
12 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

I always thought it was Barry from Eastenders?

Could be wrong.

Barry Ferguson probably.

jr ewing
2 hours ago, cazzyy said:

Hang on, I thought we were slating the team for not "having a go"?

Not me. :fing10:

Ricardo Quaresma
On 22/04/2024 at 19:57, Philfigo said:

Season will be a succes if we wrap 3rd up and have reached 2 cup semi finals. Meeting the old firm in the  semis realistically means that's the best we can hope. It would have been nice to get to a final but alot of things need to aline for that to happen I terms of they need to play poor, all the luck has to go our way and we need to out perform to our usual standards. Those 3 things happen you might win only 1 or 2 of those things happen you ain't wining the match.

Normally, statistically, yes, but Sunday was a trough, not a peak for the rangers' players (🙂) and we didn't take advantage of it; they were probably were quite fortunate we didn't have Nieuwenhof available or our team would probably have significantly outperformed theirs on the day

A real shame, but it's done and they will, celtic too, hit a low enough ebb again soon enough; we just need to be more solid then 👍

Ricardo Quaresma
On 23/04/2024 at 17:01, Sir PH said:

Bazza is your ultimate happy clapper. The only guy I know who was happy with Levein and Neilson's style of football, even when we were losing games and being pumped by the mighty Brora. You'll never see him properly criticise Hearts. He's happy to accept mediocrity forever more, just because it's always been mediocre. 

Bit of an anachronism there, he wasn't called Bazza then, so how do you know what went on 6 years or so ago? 🤔:lol:

2 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Bit of an anachronism there, he wasn't called Bazza then, so how do you know what went on 6 years or so ago? 🤔:lol:

Because I was on here with a different username. 

Ex member of the SaS

Clear been a successful season by what frustrates me is these players can turn it on and have rarely done so, doing just enough to win /draw games, when the fans want something to get standing and shouting about. We saw against Celtic they can play, so why against lesser teams we have yet to really shine and play attractive football? Football is an entertainment business so lets see some skill and obviously a few goals. We look to be building a great team for next season but a great end to this one would be nice.

Ex member of the SaS
On 24/04/2024 at 15:06, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Some day someone will define for me WTF "having a go" means to folk on here. We didn't sit in on Sunday, we didn't park the bus, we didn't play for a draw. We had attacking players pushed forward and had at least 5 good opportunities that we squandered with poor decision making. We were aggressive and attack-minded at multiple points, we just didn't manage to score.

So if we make the wrong pass consistently we haven't "had a go?"

For me having a go at the Glasgow two is getting stuck in, making tackles BEFORE they get into our half and spray passes around. Watch any game involving " lesser " teams and you will see their defenders wander into the lesser teams half and pick out a pass. Having a go is stopping them playing and attacking when we have the ball and not passing it back and forth around the defense.

Ricardo Quaresma
42 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

Because I was on here with a different username. 

Ok

A trip to Hampden and 3rd place in the league is pretty much the most we can expect from any season.

For some numpties that's the bare minimum expectation.

And whilst it's good to have lofty goals, expecting one of our most successful seasons every year is bonkers and only leads to winding yourself up when your unrealistic expectations fail to be met.

As the finances of the club continue to improve over the next few years, then we can start demanding more. 

Until then, just enjoy the successes and don't give yourself a stroke over minor mis-steps.

Watt-Zeefuik
4 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

For me having a go at the Glasgow two is getting stuck in, making tackles BEFORE they get into our half and spray passes around. Watch any game involving " lesser " teams and you will see their defenders wander into the lesser teams half and pick out a pass. Having a go is stopping them playing and attacking when we have the ball and not passing it back and forth around the defense.

Fair enough and thanks for the answer. I felt like we did that well enough at Hampden but I wasn't able to watch the second half live and have only seen extended highlights of it at this point.

Ricardo Quaresma
On 24/04/2024 at 21:57, spirt of 98 said:

Don't agree; you never know what's around the corner in life

zeke1874

Target was to finish 3rd. When u achieve targets that's success. No idea why anyone would think differently.. 

Obvs a cup win added to it would be outstanding and memorable but people have to get real. A cup win is hugely skewed by the draw and the other teams results. Unless the old firm suffer shock results and the path is clear for us to win it, we'll always have to face off with them, and they'll always be favourites. That's reality. 

People say they'd take a cup win and finish 6th, justfor the day out/memories and I get that. But consistently finishing 3rd year after year will make us far stronger in the long run. 

Ricardo Quaresma
17 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Clear been a successful season by what frustrates me is these players can turn it on and have rarely done so, doing just enough to win /draw games, when the fans want something to get standing and shouting about. We saw against Celtic they can play, so why against lesser teams we have yet to really shine and play attractive football? Football is an entertainment business so lets see some skill and obviously a few goals. We look to be building a great team for next season but a great end to this one would be nice.

I get the impression that, for a while now, the team have been kept in a low gear and once we're ahead we're to just conserve energy and avoid injury

I think it's been going on since before RN left too; nae wunder though, eh?

Injuries have been ridiculously bad for years now

Ricardo Quaresma
19 hours ago, Cade said:

A trip to Hampden and 3rd place in the league is pretty much the most we can expect from any season.

For some numpties that's the bare minimum expectation.

And whilst it's good to have lofty goals, expecting one of our most successful seasons every year is bonkers and only leads to winding yourself up when your unrealistic expectations fail to be met.

As the finances of the club continue to improve over the next few years, then we can start demanding more. 

Until then, just enjoy the successes and don't give yourself a stroke over minor mis-steps.

Still doesn't excuse last Sunday's capitulation though; the team need to be able to read the situation and respond when a decent opposition side is low on confidence and ideas

As long as that's being worked on and there's little else, then fine

spirt of 98
14 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Don't agree; you never know what's around the corner in life

Well I don’t want to say you have a poor opinion but the last 40 years I’ve proved no one bar the Old Firm win the league and on very rare occasions. If one of the OF have a poor season and one of the chasing pack have their best season they decades  they might scrape 2nd. 

Ricardo Quaresma
6 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

Well I don’t want to say you have a poor opinion but the last 40 years I’ve proved no one bar the Old Firm win the league and on very rare occasions. If one of the OF have a poor season and one of the chasing pack have their best season they decades  they might scrape 2nd. 

The Romans were in Britain for over a hunner years, got to around here, then got chased too :smuggy:

jr ewing
11 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

The Romans were in Britain for over a hunner years, got to around here, then got chased too :smuggy:

What have the Romans ever done for us?

Ricardo Quaresma
3 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

What have the Romans ever done for us?

:isee:

Bazzas right boot
22 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Shite football team tho.

Hmfc1965
6 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Still doesn't excuse last Sunday's capitulation though; the team need to be able to read the situation and respond when a decent opposition side is low on confidence and ideas

As long as that's being worked on and there's little else, then fine

It really wasn't a capitulation last week.

We lost two stupid goals but did have a go.

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Yes it was, I was there

Hmfc1965
Just now, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Yes it was, I was there

What difference does that make?

It's there for the whole world to see.

Ricardo Quaresma
Just now, Hmfc1965 said:

What difference does that make?

It's there for the whole world to see.

Have a nice day

Chuck Berry
4 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Pretty much. No idea where this capitulation nonsense comes from, we were right in it second half and better execution of chances would have turned the game, but we lost a soft second and that was that. Hardly a capitulation.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Pretty much. No idea where this capitulation nonsense comes from, we were right in it second half and better execution of chances would have turned the game, but we lost a soft second and that was that. Hardly a capitulation.

Agreed.

We played well.

davemclaren
2 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Some supporters love hyperbole. 😄