Why this one sucks more than normal. The season is over

Geoff Kilpatrick

Watt-Zeefuik
47 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

If the games are meaningless to them then they are in the wrong job and at the wrong club.

As for exhaustion, try working a 50 hour week manual labour job and not just being able to take it easy for a few weeks cos you are tired and the company has met their targets.

Footballers at professional level are pampered.

I've worked a 50 hour per week manual labor job and I can still respect the level of precision, training, and effort it takes to play football at the top level.

Folk can be mad about this all they want and it's not going to change. It happens in every sport, bar none, regardless of pay or training or managing or anything else.

Part of what pushes a football player to be their best is that the competitive desire to win. Once there's nothing to win in any competition, even if a player consciously does everything they can to stay sharp, there will be a lost edge.

Again, folk on JKB are going to continue to act mad about this but it's spitting into the wind.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sir PH

• Bazzas right boot

• Watt-Zeefuik

• JimmyCant

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watt-Zeefuik
5 hours ago, Sir PH said:

Agree to disagree. Nobody will remember the things you've mentioned in a few years time. But a trophy win, the memories last forever. It's been a decent season, nothing more.

I still remember Dale Carrick and the "relegation party," the Ozturk screamer, the 10-0, Zeefuik's late double, the 4-0 win over Celtic unbeatables and Harry Cochrane's fine day as clearly as if they'd happened last season. Those weren't in seasons that achieved great highs for Hearts but they're some of my favorites in my comparatively short time being a Hearts fan.

Deevers
6 hours ago, Deevers said:

Should be third. My bad.

😁😁

leginten
2 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I see us getting a draw against Kilmarnock, which won't mathematically finish off third but will be the final nail in the coffin. Then we'll get a result against Rangers, possibly a win, lose badly to Celtic, and maybe get a few more points.

And a small subset of JKB will be absolutely raging that professional players don't play at their hardest through pain and exhaustion for utterly meaningless games, and some will go and question the manager, and say that third means nothing since we're the third biggest team and all that, which will lead to the rest of us just logging off or headed to the shed to argue about breakfast pastries or something.

A post dripping with condescension. Maybe you could do us a favour and toddle off to the pastries thread right now.

In the first place, the post-split scenario you outline above would still represent an improvement on what the club usually achieves in the last five games, so almost all fans would probably be relatively happy.

Secondly you’d have to explain why Hearts’ post-split record is so appalling over a considerable number of years given that other top six clubs are equally involved in “utterly meaningless fixtures” against us.  Is it just that our professional players are suffering worse “pain and exhaustion” than those from other clubs?

Thirdly, and most importantly, I think you’ll probably find that it’s a good idea to continue the pursuit of excellence - I believe that’s the credo Ann Budge espoused at the beginning of her tenure - for as long as possible, especially when fans will be turning up to watch you In very considerable numbers. That’s what successful clubs do. Whether you succeed or not is a different matter.

Watt-Zeefuik
8 minutes ago, leginten said:

A post dripping with condescension. Maybe you could do us a favour and toddle off to the pastries thread right now.

In the first place, the post-split scenario you outline above would still represent an improvement on what the club usually achieves in the last five games, so almost all fans would probably be relatively happy.

Secondly you’d have to explain why Hearts’ post-split record is so appalling over a considerable number of years given that other top six clubs are equally involved in “utterly meaningless fixtures” against us.  Is it just that our professional players are suffering worse “pain and exhaustion” than those from other clubs?

Thirdly, and most importantly, I think you’ll probably find that it’s a good idea to continue the pursuit of excellence - I believe that’s the credo Ann Budge espoused at the beginning of her tenure - for as long as possible, especially when fans will be turning up to watch you In very considerable numbers. That’s what successful clubs do. Whether you succeed or not is a different matter.

Hit dog will holler, I guess.

We don't always have zero to play for after the split. Last year we had plenty to play for and we fell short and that sucked.

Two years ago we had zero to play for and folk hit the roof that we only won one game. It was stupid and pathetic and fortunately limited to a small number of fans.

This season, there are five other clubs with us in the top six that all have quite a lot to play for. Killie, Mirren, and Dundee will be scrapping over the last two European spots while Celtic and Rangers are battling for the title. In every game against us, their points are going to be worth potentially very large amounts of money. Ours are worth . . . pride?

"Pursuit of excellence" doesn't have to mean screaming at players to run themselves into the ground for nothing. I don't want to pull a St. Liedown but IMO there's no reason whatsoever to play players like Lembikisa, unless we somehow think we can get him on a permanent. There's every reason to get the academy grads on the pitch. Try out some new, untried tactics. Put on players that are playing for contracts or Scotland and see if they can impress.

Any way that we can build towards excellence next season, to push for second, for European results, and for good cup runs.

No need to pretend that collecting points for this season is important, though.

"Ah but the fans!" The last Hearts game I was able to attend in person was in 2018 when I got to see us play at Rugby Park at the end of the season. I got to watch Kyle Lafferty wander around the pitch, bored, in a half-hearted attempt to get to 20 goals on the season, surrounded by a bunch of kids. It wasn't great viewing and we lost 1-0 but it was a Hearts match so I was glad to be there.

leginten
2 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Hit dog will holler, I guess.

We don't always have zero to play for after the split. Last year we had plenty to play for and we fell short and that sucked.

Two years ago we had zero to play for and folk hit the roof that we only won one game. It was stupid and pathetic and fortunately limited to a small number of fans.

This season, there are five other clubs with us in the top six that all have quite a lot to play for. Killie, Mirren, and Dundee will be scrapping over the last two European spots while Celtic and Rangers are battling for the title. In every game against us, their points are going to be worth potentially very large amounts of money. Ours are worth . . . pride?

"Pursuit of excellence" doesn't have to mean screaming at players to run themselves into the ground for nothing. I don't want to pull a St. Liedown but IMO there's no reason whatsoever to play players like Lembikisa, unless we somehow think we can get him on a permanent. There's every reason to get the academy grads on the pitch. Try out some new, untried tactics. Put on players that are playing for contracts or Scotland and see if they can impress.

Any way that we can build towards excellence next season, to push for second, for European results, and for good cup runs.

No need to pretend that collecting points for this season is important, though.

"Ah but the fans!" The last Hearts game I was able to attend in person was in 2018 when I got to see us play at Rugby Park at the end of the season. I got to watch Kyle Lafferty wander around the pitch, bored, in a half-hearted attempt to get to 20 goals on the season, surrounded by a bunch of kids. It wasn't great viewing and we lost 1-0 but it was a Hearts match so I was glad to be there.

Good that some fans are getting excuses in early in case there’s another post-split flop. Maybe the idea of a pre-split season ticket isn’t a bad one. 

I see you made no attempt to address the first and second points I made. Fair enough. 

There is absolutely nothing “stupid and pathetic” about fans moaning if they feel effort isn’t being made. If you’re being short changed, you let people know. By all means introduce young players, try something different. But that’s actually the polar opposite of being on the beach, which seems to be the default position you approve of if we’re not scrapping for a European place. I desperately hope no-one at the club shares your attitude, although I’m pretty certain they have at various junctures in the past. You can be pretty certain, though, that if you make it clear to players that it’s ok for them to relax a bit and lower their standards, that liberty will also be taken at other times when it’s really going to hurt.

Maybe you would feel differently if you had sat through a lot of the post-split dross we’ve served up over the years. Not having a go at you for being elsewhere, but perhaps your perspective is different because of that. I’ll be hoping for as high a points total as possible and glum faces for our opponents.

JimmyCant
2 hours ago, Sir PH said:

We obviously have different ideas of what success is in football. To succeed is to win. We've had a decent season and finished where we should finish, in 3rd place. 

So let’s say we go out of both cups early but win 4 derbies, beat the OF 2-3 times and finish second, playing great football and scoring plenty goals. No trophy and not a successful season still. Just decent ?

Edited by JimmyCant

4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

So let’s say we go out of both cups early but win 4 derbies, beat the OF 2-3 times and finish second, playing great football and scoring plenty goals. No trophy and not a successful season still. Just decent ?

I'd regard it as a very good season. But successful? No. That's when you have a big silver thing in the trophy cabinet. 

JimmyCant
16 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

I'd regard it as a very good season. But successful? No. That's when you have a big silver thing in the trophy cabinet. 

Very good but not successful ?. Failure then. If you don’t succeed you fail right ?

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Very good but not successful ?. Failure then. If you don’t succeed you fail right ?

Semantics. Failed to win a trophy, but achieved 3rd place. 

JimmyCant
4 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

Semantics. Failed to win a trophy, but achieved 3rd place. 

3rd is failure by your measure. Nae silver for it.

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

3rd is failure by your measure. Nae silver for it.

I don't expect to win the league, given the disparity in budgets. But I expect more than three trophies in 60 years. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I still remember Dale Carrick and the "relegation party," the Ozturk screamer, the 10-0, Zeefuik's late double, the 4-0 win over Celtic unbeatables and Harry Cochrane's fine day as clearly as if they'd happened last season. Those weren't in seasons that achieved great highs for Hearts but they're some of my favorites in my comparatively short time being a Hearts fan.

Given his criteria,  that poster only remembers 3 games from 3 seasons in his entire Hearts "supporting "  life, what a load of bollocks.

Even, this season,  knocking out Rosenborg,  Shanks at ER, 2 wins v celtic,  finishing 3rd and yes- 2 sf defeat v Rangers. 

Our last home game was a belter as well, 2-0 down, 4-2  at ht. Don't see that often.

Shanks hoping the goal scoring charts and our 3rd season in tbe top 4, we might make 70 points as well, which for me has been a personal milestone fir the club.

That's just this season. 

4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Given his criteria,  that poster only remembers 3 games from 3 seasons in his entire Hearts "supporting "  life, what a load of bollocks.

Even, this season,  knocking out Rosenborg,  Shanks at ER, 2 wins v celtic,  finishing 3rd and yes- 2 sf defeat v Rangers. 

Our last home game was a belter as well, 2-0 down, 4-2  at ht. Don't see that often.

Shanks hoping the goal scoring charts and our 3rd season in tbe top 4, we might make 70 points as well, which for me has been a personal milestone fir the club.

That's just this season. 

I remember loads of stuff, but the three that stand out by a considerable distance, is the three trophies that I witnessed us win. Not too difficult to grasp or understand, for most people. 

Bazzas right boot
44 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

It's not.

Some clubs see avoiding relegation as successful,  some see top 6 as a success, Hearts will view top 3 as a success. 

Room for improvement, yes but 3rd for any non OF club is successful. 

Your opinion is rather silly, but well done for digging in.  You even know it's silly, but you like putting a negative spin on everything,  I think that's what you think is successful,  making everything negative just to argue.

We've had more than 3 successful seasons in 60 years and this season has been a success,  as was the season we finished 3rd last time.

You can go in the huff and spout nonsense, but this season has been successful.

This weekend some of us will be celebrating this season with the players and listening to the plans to make  next season even more successful. 

The woman's team have had a successful season as well.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

I remember loads of stuff, but the three that stand out by a considerable distance, is the three trophies that I witnessed us win. Not too difficult to grasp or understand, for most people. 

I think folk from 86 at Dens would disagree,  lots of moments can stick out, not just cup wins.

Beating Bayern,  4-4, 4-2  v Rangers, defeat of celtic in 88, 3-3 pk defeat, fozzy on the fence,  ozturk 1-1.

Lots of none cup winning moments stand out and are remembered and discussed for years.

Most Hearts fans have the bandwidth to have more than 3 stand out moments.

3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

It's not.

Some clubs see avoiding relegation as successful,  some see top 6 as a success, Hearts will view top 3 as a success. 

Room for improvement, yes but 3rd for any non OF club is successful. 

Your opinion is rather silly, but well done for digging in.  You even know it's silt, but you like putting a negative spin on everything,  I think that's what you think is successful,  making everything negative just to argue.

We've had more than 3 successful seasons in 60 years and this season has been a success,  as was the season we finished 3rd last time.

You can go in the huff and spout nonsense, but this season has been successful.

This weekend some of us will be celebrating this season with the players and listening to the plans to make  next season even more successful. 

The woman's team have had a successful season as well.

It hasn't been successful, and the fact you think it is, tells us you epitomise the term happy clapper. Three trophies in 60 years is a disgrace and a ridiculous underachievement. 

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I think folk from 86 at Dens would disagree,  lots of moments can stick out, not just cup wins.

Beating Bayern,  4-4, 4-2  v Rangers, defeat of celtic in 88, 3-3 pk defeat, fozzyvon the fence,  ozturk 1-1.

Lots of none cup winning moments stand out and are remembered and discussed for years.

Most Hearts fans have the bandwidth to have more than 3 stand out moments.

Any normal supporter (I don't include you in that) will remember the trophy wins above everything else. You can write 10,000 words to the contrary if you want, but it won't make it not true. 

Watt-Zeefuik
49 minutes ago, leginten said:

Good that some fans are getting excuses in early in case there’s another post-split flop. Maybe the idea of a pre-split season ticket isn’t a bad one. 

I see you made no attempt to address the first and second points I made. Fair enough. 

There is absolutely nothing “stupid and pathetic” about fans moaning if they feel effort isn’t being made. If you’re being short changed, you let people know. By all means introduce young players, try something different. But that’s actually the polar opposite of being on the beach, which seems to be the default position you approve of if we’re not scrapping for a European place. I desperately hope no-one at the club shares your attitude, although I’m pretty certain they have at various junctures in the past. You can be pretty certain, though, that if you make it clear to players that it’s ok for them to relax a bit and lower their standards, that liberty will also be taken at other times when it’s really going to hurt.

Maybe you would feel differently if you had sat through a lot of the post-split dross we’ve served up over the years. Not having a go at you for being elsewhere, but perhaps your perspective is different because of that. I’ll be hoping for as high a points total as possible and glum faces for our opponents.

Your first point was an observation. Not sure what I was supposed to respond to.

This was my response to your second point:

See that? I'm not talking about post-split results when we still have places to fight for. We had a chance to secure group football last season and we failed. Lots of reasons for that, but there it is. Another disappointing split would be in 2019, when we had a stretch chance to catch Aberdeen for a European place or to at least finish above Hibs but flumped out a single point in 5 matches. Or 2017 when Cathro finished flushing our fine start down the toilet and gift wrapped a European spot to St. Johnstone.

Frankly getting very few opportunities to see Hearts in person, and having one of those chances turn into a Sunday kickabout was extremely disappointing, but am I mad about it? No, because that's life in sport.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
10 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The thread title says…..All very depressing even though this has been a really good season.

Yeah, thanks for starting a “very depressing” thread “even though this has been a really good season.” Just what we needed.

:jj_facepalm:

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

It hasn't been successful, and the fact you think it is, tells us you epitomise the term happy clapper. Three trophies in 60 years is a disgrace and a ridiculous underachievement. 

3 trophies is an underachievement.

Doesn't mean finishing 3rd this season isn't successful.

It has been successful,  the board will be happy, the player's will be happy and the manager will be happy.

Most fans are happy as well.

The goal is now to build on this successful season so that we can be more successful in future seasons.

We aren't going to goble up lots of trophies and reverse 60 years of underachievement. That is not realistic. 

Stupid measure to beat the current Hearts team up with And sums up your need to put a negative spin on a successful season,  you're putting almost a complete history of post war under achievement on this team just to justify your ridiculous stance to play down this season as a success. 

Mental gymnastics at it's finest. 

heartsfc_fan

A few milestones we can still achieve between now and season end:

Third place (obviously).

70 points (only 8 to go from the last 5 games, very doable).

Go one better and match the points tally from the 05/06 season. We got 74, so we need to win 4 of the next 5. Tough, but not completely impossible.

Shankland getting 30 goals in all competitions (only 2 to go).

2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

3 trophies is an underachievement.

Doesn't mean finishing 3rd this season isn't successful.

It has been successful,  the board will be happy, the player's will be happy and the manager will be happy.

Most fans are happy as well.

The goal is now to build on this successful season so that we can be more successful in future seasons.

We aren't going to goble up lots of trophies and reverse 60 years of underachievement. That is not realistic. 

Stupid measure to beat the current Hearts team up with And sums up your need to put a negative spin on a successful season,  you're putting almost a complete history of post war under achievement on this team just to justify your ridiculous stance to play down this season as a success. 

Mental gymnastics at it's finest. 

I'm not beating the current team up, I'm lumping them in with every other Hearts side that has massively underachieved throughout the years. 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I've worked a 50 hour per week manual labor job and I can still respect the level of precision, training, and effort it takes to play football at the top level.

Folk can be mad about this all they want and it's not going to change. It happens in every sport, bar none, regardless of pay or training or managing or anything else.

Part of what pushes a football player to be their best is that the competitive desire to win. Once there's nothing to win in any competition, even if a player consciously does everything they can to stay sharp, there will be a lost edge.

Again, folk on JKB are going to continue to act mad about this but it's spitting into the wind.

Even in a " normal " job you can switch off at times, in football you can't. 

**** being at it 100% all the time, "I'll do that next week" isn't really an option as a footballer. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

I'm not beating the current team up, I'm lumping them in with every other Hearts side that has massively underachieved throughout the years. 

Well that's just stupid. Really stupid. 

3rd for this Hearts team and 2 x sf is not a massive under achievement.

In fact, if we had beaten rangers,  they'd be under achieving, Hearts not beating rangers is not under achieving. 

You're that focused on putting Hearts down you've lost all grip on reality.

This Hearts team has "Massively underachieved", -you've lost the plot.

4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Well that's just stupid. Really stupid. 

3rd for this Hearts team and 2 x sf is not a massive under achievement.

In fact, if we had beaten rangers,  they'd be under achieving, Hearts not beating rangers is not under achieving. 

You're that focused on putting Hearts down you've lost all grip on reality.

This Hearts team has "Massively underachieved", -you've lost the plot.

You have a losers mentality, and that's fine. I don't, and I feel we could and should be achieving a lot more. No big deal.

Watt-Zeefuik
3 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

I don't know if you can call it underachieving, except underachieving our desires.

When Mercer took over, there's no way we could ever have been considered the #3 club in Scotland. A sclerotic, dysfunctional board had let a once proud club wither into a yo-yo outfit. Mercer and Doddie worked miracles to get us minutes from that title in 86 but that was a huge achievement just to just turn us into a top of the table club, a designation we had no legitimate claim to from about 1965 on.

JJ built us into a club that could at least get a sniff of a title race but that was on the back of some brilliant roster moves he was unable to sustain. But we still didn't have an exceptional budget.

Vlad came along and kicked our budget clear into 3rd best by a distance but we were such a chaotic mess organizationally that there was no reasonable chance to build a consistent winner. And we know how that ended.

FoH and Budge had to rebuild the wrecked organizational foundations (along with the literal foundations of the main stand) and try to keep us decent on the field at the same time. We're finally at a level where the club is stable and well run, the stadium is sorted for the moment, and our wage bills are third largest by more than just a tiny margin. To me we're in the first time in a half-century that's all been true and it's only been true for a few years now. We're still building up, but achieving the 3rd, 4th, 3rd run, which we've never done before, is a sign that we're progressing.

JimmyCant
2 hours ago, Sir PH said:

Any normal supporter (I don't include you in that) will remember the trophy wins above everything else. You can write 10,000 words to the contrary if you want, but it won't make it not true. 

I’ve got 7-0 and Dens Park 86 etched on my memory miles ahead of the almost embarrassing Cup win against Gretna. I think I went straight home after that one in fact. 98 and 12 of course, can only be surpassed by a league title IMO. 

There are two other clubs 45 miles away well suited to satisfy your high bar on success and trophies. That’s not why you follow Hearts mate. Just ask a PHM. 

5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I’ve got 7-0 and Dens Park 86 etched on my memory miles ahead of the almost embarrassing Cup win against Gretna. I think I went straight home after that one in fact. 98 and 12 of course, can only be surpassed by a league title IMO. 

There are two other clubs 45 miles away well suited to satisfy your high bar on success and trophies. That’s not why you follow Hearts mate. Just ask a PHM. 

I didn't think you were the type to come out with the utter garbage you've put in the second paragraph. Maybe time to pop you on ignore, like the rest of the bores.

Go for it 1308
6 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

So qualifying for group stage European football isn’t a successful season now ? Jesus H !

Yep, you're right Jimmy. It was a bit of dumb post to put up. I think you could safely say I was really pissed off😬

rudi must stay
13 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The thread title says it all. Although there are 5 games left, there is now a feeling of apathy towards them because the joy of finishing 3rd has already dissipated. Yes, we haven't technically claimed 3rd yet but everyone knows Killie aren't pulling 11 points back on us. Also, we know the script for these 5 games as we've seen it all before. Lose the first two, beat Dundee, draw at Paisley and lose to Sevco U18s as the league will be over.

All very depressing even though this has been a really good season.

This is why our club is weak. Youngsters in every week playing well, 3 Australian internationals, our club is flourishing. The only way we will get closer to Celtic and Rangers is backing the team, whether you like the players or not. You look at those two they are the most deluded fans in the world but fair play to them they back the players, and we should too

DalryJambo
16 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I'm just delighted Celtic beat Aberdeen on Saturday. That Rangers team would struggle against any team that are up for it and in their faces. Aberdeen would have had a better than even chance of beating them had they made the final.

The end of the season cannot come soon enough.

Third almost sealed and 2 semifinals and people are mumping and moaning like we've been relegated.

Self entitled bunch of nutters. It's been a good season, let's secure 3rd and enjoy it whilst it lasts. Onwards and upwards.

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Well said .

Or a cup double, that would go down well. 😁

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I don't know if you can call it underachieving, except underachieving our desires.

When Mercer took over, there's no way we could ever have been considered the #3 club in Scotland. A sclerotic, dysfunctional board had let a once proud club wither into a yo-yo outfit. Mercer and Doddie worked miracles to get us minutes from that title in 86 but that was a huge achievement just to just turn us into a top of the table club, a designation we had no legitimate claim to from about 1965 on.

JJ built us into a club that could at least get a sniff of a title race but that was on the back of some brilliant roster moves he was unable to sustain. But we still didn't have an exceptional budget.

Vlad came along and kicked our budget clear into 3rd best by a distance but we were such a chaotic mess organizationally that there was no reasonable chance to build a consistent winner. And we know how that ended.

FoH and Budge had to rebuild the wrecked organizational foundations (along with the literal foundations of the main stand) and try to keep us decent on the field at the same time. We're finally at a level where the club is stable and well run, the stadium is sorted for the moment, and our wage bills are third largest by more than just a tiny margin. To me we're in the first time in a half-century that's all been true and it's only been true for a few years now. We're still building up, but achieving the 3rd, 4th, 3rd run, which we've never done before, is a sign that we're progressing.

It's almost a sign of... success. 

Ministryofdad

We have to win one of our 5 games we play to secure 3rd. 

We beat Dundee.

Look forward to next season and hearts buy 3 strikers, 2 center half's and a right back. 

If we go and spend proper money we have a chance at silverware. 

Killie this weekend will be a draw. 

Because we will play for it.