Why this one sucks more than normal. The season is over

Geoff Kilpatrick

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The thread title says it all. Although there are 5 games left, there is now a feeling of apathy towards them because the joy of finishing 3rd has already dissipated. Yes, we haven't technically claimed 3rd yet but everyone knows Killie aren't pulling 11 points back on us. Also, we know the script for these 5 games as we've seen it all before. Lose the first two, beat Dundee, draw at Paisley and lose to Sevco U18s as the league will be over.

All very depressing even though this has been a really good season.

I can’t see it turning out any other way to be honest.  I can also see Shankland playing his way out of Steve Clarke’s plans (I know you won’t care about that!) and not hitting 30 goals, although he will still make the plane.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sir PH

• Bazzas right boot

• Watt-Zeefuik

• JimmyCant

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CaptainShanks
5 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

Agree to disagree. Nobody will remember the things you've mentioned in a few years time. But a trophy win, the memories last forever. It's been a decent season, nothing more.

Winning a trophy is an added and unexpected bonus for us given the nature of Scottish football. Plenty memories will come off the back of this season from the trips abroad next year 😄🍺

If we can pocket the European money year on year we will be able to attract and afford the sort of quality who can produce in the big games against the Old Firm. 

2 minutes ago, CaptainShanks said:

Winning a trophy is an added and unexpected bonus for us given the nature of Scottish football. Plenty memories will come off the back of this season from the trips abroad next year 😄🍺

If we can pocket the European money year on year we will be able to attract and afford the sort of quality who can produce in the big games against the Old Firm. 

We can agree on that.👍

Fozzyonthefence
26 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

Laughable. Aberdeen are utter mince.

They are.  But they know how to beat Rangers as they’ve shown the last couple of seasons.  Also, how do they manage to raise their game and win or take points off the likes of PAOK and Frankfurt when we just pull our panties down to our ankles for these games?  It’s frustrating but what Naismith needs to improve on next season and I think he might manage to do that. 

awadooningorgie2

We probably missed the experience and guile of a fully fit Boyce as well as Halkett at his best. Add in the Hoff who has been our most mobile and effective midfielder recently... I know we will always have injuries but one a big stage like Hampden yesterday experience counts for a lot in managing the occasion.

Vargas looked like Vargas of 6 months ago as mentioned already, he will learn and grow but wasnt what we needed in a cup semi final.

Oda finds the net and this place would be completely different.

Batistuta87

Joke of a post. 

Third isn't done yet and every season is over at some point. 

This one isn't over yet. 

6 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

They are.  But they know how to beat Rangers as they’ve shown the last couple of seasons.  Also, how do they manage to raise their game and win or take points off the likes of PAOK and Frankfurt when we just pull our panties down to our ankles for these games?  It’s frustrating but what Naismith needs to improve on next season and I think he might manage to do that. 

Rangers is their cup final. Their fans demand that they give 110% when they play them, and they always oblige. Thing is, they'll go out the following week and get beat by the likes of Ross County. Their European performances were a total shock to me. God knows where they came from.

Edited by Sir PH

gordon simpson
1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Reading the first few posts, after a day of calling a team who has succeeded everything but Rangers, shitebags, the fans themselves seem to be quitting.

:levein_interesting:

spot on ,we have some right head bangers in our support 

John Findlay
2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The thread title says it all. Although there are 5 games left, there is now a feeling of apathy towards them because the joy of finishing 3rd has already dissipated. Yes, we haven't technically claimed 3rd yet but everyone knows Killie aren't pulling 11 points back on us. Also, we know the script for these 5 games as we've seen it all before. Lose the first two, beat Dundee, draw at Paisley and lose to Sevco U18s as the league will be over.

All very depressing even though this has been a really good season.

This may come as a shock to you, but our season ends after our 38th league game.

There is 15 more points to play for and I want us to win all 15 or as many as we can.

For this Hearts supporters, the season is far from over.

Afterall we could be in a position like our neighbours across the city.

We are not. The league table says at present we are the third best team in the country.

gordon simpson
6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

This may come as a shock to you, but our season ends after our 38th league game.

There is 15 more points to play for and I want us to win all 15 or as many as we can.

We are not. The league table says at present we are the third best team in the country.

well said John 

Fozzyonthefence
43 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Joke of a post. 

This one isn't over yet. 

Third is absolutely done. 

Fozzyonthefence
40 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Someone needs to tell this surprising news to our players because Hearts players always seem to think the season ends after 33 games if not before!

It would be great to win 3 more games and get to 71 points which I think would be our 2nd best season in this league format?  However, I don’t see that happening with this group of players (still a fair number left from last season who downed tools).  

Realistically we are the only team in the top 6 with nothing to play for, 3rd is in the bag even if we lose every game.  Rangers and Celtic are still battling it out for the league and the other 3 are battling it out for 4th and 5th for the last two Euro spots. 

Jocam2325
1 hour ago, Sir PH said:

Yes. I associate the word success with winning. We've had a decent season and finished where we probably should finish. 

There are many different ways to gauge success. In a country like ours with such a clear duopoly, it's not simply winning a trophy.  IMO

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Saint Jambo said:

I think this is overplayed. They have had a run of bad form, but they aren't that bad a team. If we had played them a few weeks ago before the Celtic game, I think we would have felt different. At that point under Clement their domestic record was won 25, drawn 1, lost 2. 

Even now it is

Won 26, drawn 3, lost 3.

I've seen posts suggesting this is the worst Rangers team in 50 years and Aberdeen would be odds on to beat them if they had made the final. Those posts are way off the mark.

Yip.

Folk have went to  great lengths to Try and prove this-

For example-Ross  county beat them, Dundee  drew with them in the last week. 

Motherwell beat them.

I checked my notes and all these teams have beaten us this season  so no idea why that gives us any advantage. 

They've won the lc, 3 points behind in the league and in the sc final.

I remember a rangers team that spent two seasons in the championship not so long ago. 10 years, never mind 50 years doesn't add up.

Folk using Aberdeen as some kind if yardstick,  aye, that Aberdeen 5 points of 11th place and in the bottom 6.

Using Coventry is just amazing,  imagine looking at Coventrys run to the English FA cup sf and their comeback v man utd and using it to run down Hearts.  It's quite an extraordinary train of thought.

You now have Hearts fans saying if we don't win anything the season is not a success. 

We've won 3 cups in 60 years.

No wonder they  are miserable as ****, every season for them must be utter dog shite.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Great for them, Aberdeen can get this for their efforts on Saturday while they are in the bottom 6 and hope to stay clear of 11th. 

MS1546_1.png

Thomaso
3 hours ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Saturday is massive. As unlikely as it is we can’t give Kilmarnock any reason to believe they can claw it back. They have beat both sides of the OF so they’ll believe they can 

Absolutely it’s not done till it’s done! 

Thomaso
13 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yip.

Folk have went to  great lengths to Try and prove this-

For example-Ross  county beat them, Dundee  drew with them in the last week. 

Motherwell beat them.

I checked my notes and all these teams have beaten us this season  so no idea why that gives us any advantage. 

They've won the lc, 3 points behind in the league and in the sc final.

I remember a rangers team that spent two seasons in the championship not so long ago. 10 years, never mind 50 years doesn't add up.

Folk using Aberdeen as some kind if yardstick,  aye, that Aberdeen 5 points of 11th place and in the bottom 6.

Using Coventry is just amazing,  imagine looking at Coventrys run to the English FA cup sf and their comeback v man utd and using it to run down Hearts.  It's quite an extraordinary train of thought.

You now have Hearts fans saying if we don't win anything the season is not a success. 

We've won 3 cups in 60 years.

No wonder they  are miserable as ****, every season for them must be utter dog shite.

Well said Tosh 👏

Clerry Jambo
1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Joke of a post. 

This one isn't over yet. 

Correct and I wouldn’t fancy us if it got squeaky bum time.

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Sir PH said:

Rangers is their cup final. Their fans demand that they give 110% when they play them, and they always oblige. Thing is, they'll go out the following week and get beat by the likes of Ross County. Their European performances were a total shock to me. God knows where they came from.

All true but let’s not pretend Rangers don’t hate Aberdeen too, it’s not like they’re not up for it.  I was surprised the sheep gave Celtic a good game on Saturday too.  They usually do the same against Celtic that we do against Rangers - don’t turn up.

Turkishcap

Still up for games, midfield will be better next season.

Been supporting long enough not to hit the depths.

Wrap up 3rd on Saturday and give Tait, Wilson and the rest of the kids the season to stake a claim for next season. 

Saint Jambo
2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Joke of a post. 

This one isn't over yet. 

Third really is done. Kilmarnock are not taking 11 points from their final five games, even before we start picking up points.

Killie have only taken 11 points once from 5 games at any stage this season and that was the last 5 games. They got draws with us and Dundee, beat St Mirren at home and beat Ross County and St Johnstone. They have 3 of their last 5 away from home.

I can't imagine any Rangers fan is worrying about us closing the 13 point gap on them. Killie fans aren't even worrying about St Mirren closing the 8 point gap on them.

17 minutes ago, red said:

Wrap up 3rd on Saturday and give Tait, Wilson and the rest of the kids the season to stake a claim for next season. 

I have a slightly different take on this but with the result being the same. Tait, Denholm and younger players (Pollock and Wilson) can be brought in to ensure there is no apathy and ensure a freshness about the squad with 5 games to go. There is undoubtedly loan deals that won't be renewed and will be players not signing new deals, who might not play many/any minutes. I for one would love to see Tait strut his stuff for many of the last 5 games. And if others are in the managers thoughts, give them a few minutes here and there and lets see what they are like.

Seems like the perfect opportunity, especially when third is secured.

chrystaf
2 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I can’t see it turning out any other way to be honest.  I can also see Shankland playing his way out of Steve Clarke’s plans (I know you won’t care about that!) and not hitting 30 goals, although he will still make the plane.

I'm of that opinion as well.  I just wonder if Shanks has peaked? I'll ask him at the Shareholders POTY dinner on Thursday.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, jambogirlglasgow said:

Second place?. Not much point drumming that into the players. 🤷🏼‍♀️

They seemed quite comfortable with 2nd place yesterday 

Doc Rob

Yesterday was deflating. But it probably reflects where we are as a team. Despite how well we have done in the league, I’ve never thought ‘wow, this is a great Hearts team’. The fact that we haven’t won any game by more than 2 goals backs that up.

The squad needs some quality signings if we are to give a decent account of ourselves in Europe.

Pasquale for King

Can’t say I’m desperate to see these guys again this season, lets hope the youngsters get some game time and those leaving dont play again, alternate the GKs so both go to the Euros. 
Work on a system and tactics that will work against Rangers to end the season on a high by having beaten all the teams in the league, another defeat will leave a sour taste over the summer. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Doc Rob said:

Yesterday was deflating. But it probably reflects where we are as a team. Despite how well we have done in the league, I’ve never thought ‘wow, this is a great Hearts team’. The fact that we haven’t won any game by more than 2 goals backs that up.

The squad needs some quality signings if we are to give a decent account of ourselves in Europe.

Spot on, think we’ve only scored 4 goals once..

Jack Torrance
3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Correct. Plenty still to aim for. Hitting 70 points, getting a goal difference of 20+, Shankland hitting 30 goals for the season, widening the gap between us and any other pretenders. And of course tying up third.

martoon

The season's not over by any means.

We still have third to clinch which, fair enough, is almost over the line and we cannot simply let the season just fizzle out. Strong performances and 6-8 points should be our aim.

There is also the delicious possibility of the scuttling emailers losing their first two games and getting sucked into trouble. 

This is Stevie's first season. He's made a terrific start and the signings already made suggest we are on an upward trajectory.

As in 1996, under JJ, there's no despondency for me. Dhanda could be seen as the equivalent of Colin Cameron coming in and if we follow that up in the summer with quality signings like Weir and McCann we'll kick on next season.

Don't bother with the "Jeremy Goss" though, Stevie.

5 hours ago, One five said:

Absolutely not ! 

Sorry I didn't think I needed to add this but..... :sarcasm:

One five
1 minute ago, cazzyy said:

Sorry I didn't think I needed to add this but..... :sarcasm:

😂👍

pettigrewsstylist

Shanks chasing 31 goals also of interest to moi.

pettigrewsstylist

Foot firmly on pedal this weekend i hope. 

Watt-Zeefuik

I see us getting a draw against Kilmarnock, which won't mathematically finish off third but will be the final nail in the coffin. Then we'll get a result against Rangers, possibly a win, lose badly to Celtic, and maybe get a few more points.

And a small subset of JKB will be absolutely raging that professional players don't play at their hardest through pain and exhaustion for utterly meaningless games, and some will go and question the manager, and say that third means nothing since we're the third biggest team and all that, which will lead to the rest of us just logging off or headed to the shed to argue about breakfast pastries or something.

Nothing is "over" until we cross the finish line.

As Hearts fans who have suffered some horrendous overhauls in the final straight over the decades, we should all at least be aware of this.

There wouldn't be much surprise for example if Killie manage to take something from both games against the weeg and we don't.

Bottom line..... Naismith and the team have still some difficult games to get through.

After yesterday's disappointment, we need the fans right behind the team until we cross that points threshold where we can't be caught.

Sunday is done, and the fans need to get back in the saddle quickly too.

18 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I see us getting a draw against Kilmarnock, which won't mathematically finish off third but will be the final nail in the coffin. Then we'll get a result against Rangers, possibly a win, lose badly to Celtic, and maybe get a few more points.

And a small subset of JKB will be absolutely raging that professional players don't play at their hardest through pain and exhaustion for utterly meaningless games, and some will go and question the manager, and say that third means nothing since we're the third biggest team and all that, which will lead to the rest of us just logging off or headed to the shed to argue about breakfast pastries or something.

NIce user name.

I was always just sorry we never signed Muzzy Izzat.

Edited by Busby8

JimmyCant
5 hours ago, Go for it 1308 said:

This! And it's time the' happy clappers ' realise this.  A successful season for Heart of Midlothian is winning  silverware 

So qualifying for group stage European football isn’t a successful season now ? Jesus H !

3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

So qualifying for group stage European football isn’t a successful season now ? Jesus H !

It's a good season, Jimmy, and the players have got us to 3rd place. But success (in my opinion) is winning a trophy. And I don't care how many we've won in 60 years.

Ron Burgundy
21 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

If the games are meaningless to them then they are in the wrong job and at the wrong club.

As for exhaustion, try working a 50 hour week manual labour job and not just being able to take it easy for a few weeks cos you are tired and the company has met their targets.

Footballers at professional level are pampered.

Borders Jambo
2 hours ago, Prehen said:

I have a slightly different take on this but with the result being the same. Tait, Denholm and younger players (Pollock and Wilson) can be brought in to ensure there is no apathy and ensure a freshness about the squad with 5 games to go. There is undoubtedly loan deals that won't be renewed and will be players not signing new deals, who might not play many/any minutes. I for one would love to see Tait strut his stuff for many of the last 5 games. And if others are in the managers thoughts, give them a few minutes here and there and lets see what they are like.

Seems like the perfect opportunity, especially when third is secured.

This for me. We look as if we have some good youngsters coming through again and I want to see them given a chance. Tait for me in particular.
I want third wrapped us as soon as possible and preferably this weekend.

I also am hoping we get some good players in over the close season and looking forward to next season. Plenty to be optimistic about. 
When we win our next cup, the scenes  will be like 16 May 1998 again.

Batistuta87
4 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Third is absolutely done. 

Not until we win another 2pts. We will, obviously, but I'm not lighting my cigar until its mathematically confirmed.

Edited by Batistuta87

Batistuta87
2 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Third really is done. Kilmarnock are not taking 11 points from their final five games, even before we start picking up points.

Killie have only taken 11 points once from 5 games at any stage this season and that was the last 5 games. They got draws with us and Dundee, beat St Mirren at home and beat Ross County and St Johnstone. They have 3 of their last 5 away from home.

I can't imagine any Rangers fan is worrying about us closing the 13 point gap on them. Killie fans aren't even worrying about St Mirren closing the 8 point gap on them.

As above. I'm not considering it job done until its mathematically impossible. 

6 hours ago, JAYEL said:

Luckily now we don’t have to worry about Aberdeen winning the Cup

Season ain’t over by a long way

We need to make sure we don’t give Killie any encouragement especially if Celtic win the League early

I'm sure that happened before. Killie winning at celtic Park and stopping us from getting a European spot

2 minutes ago, Hansel said:

I'm sure that happened before. Killie winning at celtic Park and stopping us from getting a European spot

It was Rugby Park. Celtic had the league tied up and weren't giving a toss.

JimmyCant
36 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

It's a good season, Jimmy, and the players have got us to 3rd place. But success (in my opinion) is winning a trophy. And I don't care how many we've won in 60 years.

Success means  ‘achieving your target or accomplishing your goal’ 

Any doubt in your mind that group stage European football is and was a worthwhile and clearly stated target and we’ve (almost) achieved it.

Ach forget it in fact, you’re just wrong and that’s the end of it.

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Success means  ‘achieving your target or accomplishing your goal’ 

Any doubt in your mind that group stage European football is and was a worthwhile and clearly stated target and we’ve (almost) achieved it.

Ach forget it in fact, you’re just wrong and that’s the end of it.

We obviously have different ideas of what success is in football. To succeed is to win. We've had a decent season and finished where we should finish, in 3rd place. 

3 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Great for them, Aberdeen can get this for their efforts on Saturday while they are in the bottom 6 and hope to stay clear of 11th. 

MS1546_1.png

Correct. The fawning over Aberdeen is misplaced.

What they were good at during their European matches this season was converting what few chances came their way (e.g. 2 out of 2 in Greece to get a draw against PAOK). Much the same against Celtic on the weekend with their aerial threat being pivotal - not been one of our strengths for a while now and that stood out yesterday too.

Otherwise, I thought that Aberdeen were fortunate to get a draw at Pittodrie against the Finnish side HJK and they didn’t beat them away either. Sure, they beat Eintracht Frankfurt, however the German side were woeful that night in what was a dead rubber as they’d already qualified for the next stage and so didn’t need to try a leg.

I am hoping we see more of Tait and Pollock in the final matches. I would also like to see what the boy Forrester has to offer at RB.