Princes Street

Polonia Gorgie

Jamboross

Uniqlo and the Katsute 100 tea room they're opening within it will help that wee section of Princes St as will the Jenners building reopening in a few years. 

The street is in transition but there's plenty in the pipeline that'll bring life back to it and hopefully introduce more of an evening/night time economy as post 6pm it's always been pretty dead. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luckyBatistuta

• Ulysses

• westbow

• FWJ

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

luckyBatistuta
59 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Can be a bit chilly but it's a good shopping centre. As for Princes Street it will gradually morph into hotels , cafes and restaurants with Castle views rather than shops. My partner is excited about some Japanese store opening soon in Princes Street though so she will probably drag me along too.

A bit, it’s bloody freezing in there at times, ho into any shop just for a heat. You’ve got queues of folks outside food stops, because hardly anyone wants to sit at the tables outside. Keep seeing that Japanese store advertised, probably another Superdry type.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

luckyBatistuta
25 minutes ago, Jamboross said:

Uniqlo and the Katsute 100 tea room they're opening within it will help that wee section of Princes St as will the Jenners building reopening in a few years. 

The street is in transition but there's plenty in the pipeline that'll bring life back to it and hopefully introduce more of an evening/night time economy as post 6pm it's always been pretty dead. 

Was going to try that bubble tea that seems to be everywhere today, until I read what it was, sounds🤮

Jamboross
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

A bit, it’s bloody freezing in there at times, ho into any shop just for a heat. You’ve got queues of folks outside food stops, because hardly anyone wants to sit at the tables outside. Keep seeing that Japanese store advertised, probably another Superdry type.

Best way to describe Uniqlo is probably Japanese H&M. Not really my scene but getting their first Scottish store will get folk flocking to Princes St. If the Katsute 100 we're getting here is anything like the one on Covent Garden it'll be great wee cafe although probably a haven for your Instagrammy types, it's more of a traditional Japanese tea room than a bubble tea joint. Bubble tea is absolutely rank. 

Superdry on the other hand has nothing to do with Japan, it was founded by an English bloke and has never had a store out there, they just whack some kanji on a hoodie because they think it looks cool, I guess? 

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

What is the old BHS shop going to be?

Uniqlo/Katsute 100

Percival King
4 hours ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

I walked along there earlier today and was well disappointed too, being a resident of Edinburgh you should be the target market!! Princes Street was my first destination on Boxing day spending any Christmas money I got

And second stop was Goldbergs? Maybe a wee trip to the rooftop cafe, see the birds.

manaliveits105
2 hours ago, Jamboross said:

Great news some positivity 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Jamboross said:

Best way to describe Uniqlo is probably Japanese H&M. Not really my scene but getting their first Scottish store will get folk flocking to Princes St. If the Katsute 100 we're getting here is anything like the one on Covent Garden it'll be great wee cafe although probably a haven for your Instagrammy types, it's more of a traditional Japanese tea room than a bubble tea joint. Bubble tea is absolutely rank. 

Superdry on the other hand has nothing to do with Japan, it was founded by an English bloke and has never had a store out there, they just whack some kanji on a hoodie because they think it looks cool, I guess? 

Uniqlo/Katsute 100

👍

leginten
5 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Yep. Walked along there about a month ago and was disappointed with what I saw. But then, as a resident of Edinburgh that isn't interested in buying fake cashmere scarves, 'Scotland' rugby tops or paying over the odds for shite coffee, I don't think I'm the target market.

Same goes for the shops on the Royal Mile, BTW. Saw one hawking Rangers tops the other day, FFS.

There's still plenty of good stuff in the city, but Princes Street and most of the RM are strictly tat now. 

I'd wager that many of the tartan shops and 'American' sweet shops are money laundering enterprises, too.

It’s the ready availability of Princess Di tartan that lures me back to the Royal Mile again and again.

12 hours ago, Victorian said:

Uniqlo.  Primark / Matalan clobber.

no it’s not haha

Luckies1874
16 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Jenners reopening offers an opportunity.

What is the timeline for that? 

17 hours ago, EIEIO said:

Can be a bit chilly but it's a good shopping centre. As for Princes Street it will gradually morph into hotels , cafes and restaurants with Castle views rather than shops. My partner is excited about some Japanese store opening soon in Princes Street though so she will probably drag me along too.

Uniqlo, decent quality gear tbf, my go to jeans, sure it's the old BHS they are moving into

Edited by Ribble

32 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Uniqlo, decent quality gear tbf, my go to jeans, sure it's the old BHS they are moving into

Yes it is.....its one of my customers, im in there tomorrow to see them

Opening next week...the old BHS was destined to be a Flannels store at one point but never got past planning stage...

17 hours ago, Jamboross said:

Upmarket hospitality offerings have got to be the future for Princes Street.

I was in Edinburgh city centre for the first time in a while a few weeks back and was struck by how bad it is, particularly at North Bridge.

It's A LOT busier than it used to be as well, everywhere around the museum was mobbed when we tried to go for food at 3pm.

As mentioned above - it’s in transition.  It was initially residential - then turned into shops/offices and is now becoming hotels/restaurants.  
It will be ok (eventually) because of the view.  It’s unique, any  other city would give their eye teeth for it.

What really needs sorted out ASAP is the mess around the top of Waverley Steps - especially that wee stone gateway thing.  Stained and sh***y-looking. Also they could do with making the top of Waverley Market flush with the pavement here to allow more circulation space - and make knowing how to queue for a bus a condition of entry to the city….

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, FWJ said:

As mentioned above - it’s in transition.  It was initially residential - then turned into shops/offices and is now becoming hotels/restaurants.  
It will be ok (eventually) because of the view.  It’s unique, any  other city would give their eye teeth for it.

What really needs sorted out ASAP is the mess around the top of Waverley Steps - especially that wee stone gateway thing.  Stained and sh***y-looking. Also they could do with making the top of Waverley Market flush with the pavement here to allow more circulation space - and make knowing how to queue for a bus a condition of entry to the city….

This.

Your last sentence in particular is a must. 

The queuing is a free for all.

Also a lot of folk say ‘shopping in town’s rubbish - I shop online / at Fort Kinnaird wherever’.  It’s a bit chicken-and-egg - but if you want better shops of a bigger choice in town then try there first!

It’s a bit frustrating when you go to a shop and ask if they have something and they don’t but rather than offer to order it in for you they suggest buying it online.  Talking themselves out of a job.

RustyRightPeg

They need to get those tacky shops out and continue to fill it with nice bars, restaurants and hotels. 

3 hours ago, FWJ said:

Also a lot of folk say ‘shopping in town’s rubbish - I shop online / at Fort Kinnaird wherever’.  It’s a bit chicken-and-egg - but if you want better shops of a bigger choice in town then try there first!

It’s a bit frustrating when you go to a shop and ask if they have something and they don’t but rather than offer to order it in for you they suggest buying it online.  Talking themselves out of a job.

This really annoys me tbh, often i'll browse online then prefer to go into the actual store to try things on only to discover that the actual shop only has about 40% of the range that their website carries.

ArcticJambo
18 minutes ago, Ribble said:

This really annoys me tbh, often i'll browse online then prefer to go into the actual store to try things on only to discover that the actual shop only has about 40% of the range that their website carries.

or like Sports Direct you have absolutely no option other than to pay their 4.99 if the football boots dont fit. Absolute scam!

Its not good, but as lots have said, there are signs.

In 20-30 years time it will have completely transformed to a hotel/cafe street with spme boutique shops.

Have a look at Suchiehall street in the weedge to see a real street in decay.

On 17/04/2024 at 16:47, been here before said:

Ahhhhhhh the annual "whats happened to Princes Street" thread.

Never seen a Princes st thread and I’ve been here a looooong time!

You like being a Dick.

Going forward we’ll see more bars and restaurants on PS,which is far better than tat shops and empty shops.Will probably mean a big change in legislation.

The new West End
8 hours ago, moz said:

Yes it is.....its one of my customers, im in there tomorrow to see them

Opening next week...the old BHS was destined to be a Flannels store at one point but never got past planning stage...

Chat was that the council had a beef with Flannels/cruise main owner

The new West End
2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Shandwick Place is even worse. 

That was a really quick decline.

been here before
2 hours ago, stevie said:

Never seen a Princes st thread and I’ve been here a looooong time!

You like being a Dick.

Maybe try looking harder Dick

2 hours ago, stevie said:

I’ve been here a looooong time!

And been a Dick all that time?

4 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Shandwicks Bar, South Charlotte Street is even worse.

FTFY.

Folk thought Edwards was rough too.  :vrface:

Armageddon
On 17/04/2024 at 19:02, Victorian said:

15 hours ago, pablo said:

no it’s not haha

UNIQLO is a superb addition to the city, never mind Princes Street.

Only downside is loads of folk will be wearing their stuff.  Their jackets are up there in terms

of quality and value.

Jackhmfc1348
On 17/04/2024 at 16:23, Polonia Gorgie said:

What on earth has happened to this once famous street? From one time having flag ship stores, department stores to what!?!?

Tacky tartan shops, American Candy, a giant black sheep coffee shop and even a night and day convenience store!! Obviously a lot of shops went to the new St James but something has to be done. Unless, trips to the shops are a thing of the past with nearly everyone on line shopping 

St james quarter happened 

that’s the big shopping area now with all the modern shops (and the area surrounding it) 

princess street will turn into a hotel,restaurant area probably with a few shops and tourists shops around it (especially in the side streets) 

RustyRightPeg
On 17/04/2024 at 19:02, Victorian said:

Furthest thing from that. 

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, The new West End said:

The new Red Carnation Hotel at 100 looks good

I know it’ll be expensive but will probably give it a try.

PaddysBar

Walked along the length of Princes Street this morning. 

As a few folk have said, it’s going through a transitional phase at the moment but if you look beyond that (and above the shops) some of the architecture is amazing. 

It’s also good that, as hotels open, the middle and upper floors will be used - many were sitting empty or just used as stockrooms - what a waste.

JudyJudyJudy
11 hours ago, Morgan said:

FTFY.

I love it in there ! It’s a real awe body and anybody ! It’s not pretentious like most other shitty pubs in that area 

Seymour M Hersh
20 hours ago, Morgan said:

FTFY.

It was a Castle hangout so that explains it. ::troll::

Harry Potter
On 17/04/2024 at 16:23, Polonia Gorgie said:

What on earth has happened to this once famous street? From one time having flag ship stores, department stores to what!?!?

Tacky tartan shops, American Candy, a giant black sheep coffee shop and even a night and day convenience store!! Obviously a lot of shops went to the new St James but something has to be done. Unless, trips to the shops are a thing of the past with nearly everyone on line shopping 

Amazon came along.

il Duce McTarkin
On 19/04/2024 at 09:38, JudyJudyJudy said:

I love it in there ! It’s a real awe body and anybody ! It’s not pretentious like most other shitty pubs in that area 

Prefer Mathers at that end of the town for the same reasons.

JudyJudyJudy
37 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Prefer Mathers at that end of the town for the same reasons.

👍👍

muldoon74
On 18/04/2024 at 19:20, ericb said:

Its not good, but as lots have said, there are signs.

In 20-30 years time it will have completely transformed to a hotel/cafe street with spme boutique shops.

Have a look at Suchiehall street in the weedge to see a real street in decay.

An absolute travesty what's happened to that street. 

I used to love it for the Savoy Centre (Ninja throwing stars) and some other great shops.. 

Now we only really go there for Lauders (good wee boozer) and further west some not too bad restaurants (and wetherspoons coz it's cheap)..

It really is becomming a shithole of the highest (or lowest) order..  

muldoon74
On 19/04/2024 at 09:28, PaddysBar said:

Walked along the length of Princes Street this morning. 

As a few folk have said, it’s going through a transitional phase at the moment but if you look beyond that (and above the shops) some of the architecture is amazing. 

I think there's a photo on the old Edinburgh thread showing some building on Princes Street before and after.. Beautiful Stone built buildings with fantastic architecture traded for faceless glass fronted monstrosities..

Carl Weathers
On 18/04/2024 at 23:00, Armageddon said:

UNIQLO is a superb addition to the city, never mind Princes Street.

Only downside is loads of folk will be wearing their stuff.  Their jackets are up there in terms

of quality and value.

Agreed. Very good for basics. 

8 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

I think there's a photo on the old Edinburgh thread showing some building on Princes Street before and after.. Beautiful Stone built buildings with fantastic architecture traded for faceless glass fronted monstrosities..

I agree to some extent - but just to play Devil’s advocate … there are some who would say that when they were built these grand Victorian buildings were too big, out of scale and meant knocking down original Georgian buildings (there was huge opposition to the N.B. hotel when it went up)

Also having a glass fronted building means more light and takes advantage of the view?

dicksojo
17 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

Agreed. Very good for basics. 

It’s a fine shop but nothing special. H&M meets M&S.

manaliveits105

Maybe why people prefer all under one roof shopping malls 

Looking at data from Met Office weather stations active in 2023, the experts put together a list of the 10 wettest cities in Great Britain. According to the study, Edinburgh comes in at number one with 1421.97mm of estimated rainfall recorded last year.

33 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Maybe why people prefer all under one roof shopping malls 

Looking at data from Met Office weather stations active in 2023, the experts put together a list of the 10 wettest cities in Great Britain. According to the study, Edinburgh comes in at number one with 1421.97mm of estimated rainfall recorded last year.

More than Glasgow and Manchester?  That surprised me.

On 17/04/2024 at 17:30, luckyBatistuta said:

Walked the length of it today, sure I passed two Poundland. Heard bagpipe music to Coldplay ffs. Cheap crap shops everywhere, wait until that council tube is finished with it, if you think it’s bad now.

Coldplay and bagpipes. Shudder.