Princes Street

Polonia Gorgie

Polonia Gorgie

What on earth has happened to this once famous street? From one time having flag ship stores, department stores to what!?!?

Tacky tartan shops, American Candy, a giant black sheep coffee shop and even a night and day convenience store!! Obviously a lot of shops went to the new St James but something has to be done. Unless, trips to the shops are a thing of the past with nearly everyone on line shopping 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luckyBatistuta

• Ulysses

• westbow

• FWJ

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

been here before

Ahhhhhhh the annual "whats happened to Princes Street" thread.

Herbert.

Every high street is the same now. It wont be long until there is Barbers, Kebab shops and charity shops on it. 

Polonia Gorgie
2 minutes ago, been here before said:

Didn't know one existed 

26 minutes ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

What on earth has happened to this once famous street? From one time having flag ship stores, department stores to what!?!?

Tacky tartan shops, American Candy, a giant black sheep coffee shop and even a night and day convenience store!! Obviously a lot of shops went to the new St James but something has to be done. Unless, trips to the shops are a thing of the past with nearly everyone on line shopping 

It’s just a dump now.

At least the Castle side is still pretty much the same as it always was.

Jim_Duncan
36 minutes ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

Yep. Walked along there about a month ago and was disappointed with what I saw. But then, as a resident of Edinburgh that isn't interested in buying fake cashmere scarves, 'Scotland' rugby tops or paying over the odds for shite coffee, I don't think I'm the target market.

Same goes for the shops on the Royal Mile, BTW. Saw one hawking Rangers tops the other day, FFS.

There's still plenty of good stuff in the city, but Princes Street and most of the RM are strictly tat now. 

I'd wager that many of the tartan shops and 'American' sweet shops are money laundering enterprises, too.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
45 minutes ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

It's been like this since last century.

Polonia Gorgie
10 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Yep. Walked along there about a month ago and was disappointed with what I saw. But then, as a resident of Edinburgh that isn't interested in buying fake cashmere scarves, 'Scotland' rugby tops or paying over the odds for shite coffee, I don't think I'm the target market.

Same goes for the shops on the Royal Mile, BTW. Saw one hawking Rangers tops the other day, FFS.

There's still plenty of good stuff in the city, but Princes Street and most of the RM are strictly tat now. 

I'd wager that many of the tartan shops and 'American' sweet shops are money laundering enterprises, too.

I walked along there earlier today and was well disappointed too, being a resident of Edinburgh you should be the target market!! Princes Street was my first destination on Boxing day spending any Christmas money I got

Polonia Gorgie
7 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

It's been like this since last century.

Not quite like how run down it is now, the herras fencing around Jenner's looks brutal. 

ArcticJambo
33 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

Every high street is the same now. It wont be long until there is Barbers, Kebab shops and charity shops on it. 

:lol: that would be class ... Broken Britain. Utterly ****ed!

Ulysses
39 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

And nail salons.

ArcticJambo
8 minutes ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

I walked along there earlier today and was well disappointed too, being a resident of Edinburgh you should be the target market!! Princes Street was my first destination on Boxing day spending any Christmas money I got

Aye, me too! Managed tio get a few lambswool jumprers from jenners, queuing on the South St David Street side.  I remember getting a turquoise Farah, was it. :lol: Don't think I knew what I was doing, just thought I was gettig a deal, whihc in fairness it probably was but kinda useless if I barely ever wore it coz the colour was naff!

westbow
21 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

They make enough money Jim, they don’t need to stoop to money laundering. Saying that, just google “Gold Brothers” and you’ll see they are not squeaky clean either.

luckyBatistuta

Walked the length of it today, sure I passed two Poundland. Heard bagpipe music to Coldplay ffs. Cheap crap shops everywhere, wait until that council tube is finished with it, if you think it’s bad now.

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

And nail salons.

Complete with oompah loompahs

westbow
43 minutes ago, been here before said:

Pretty sure the last one I commented on was a couple of months ago. Sharon Davies was going on about empty hotels (they really aren’t) and empty Princes St.

luckyBatistuta
27 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Think they’re famous in London for being dodgy as. Never anyone in them, but still always there.

Ulysses
39 minutes ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

Didn't know one existed 

Don't mind him.  He's just saying that the subject crops up regularly enough.

I think a lot of shopping districts have gone the same way, caught by out-of-town retail parks and malls on the one hand and online shopping on the other. 

Having said that, I mentioned in a previous thread that I was in Bilbao last year (around this time), and I saw very few shuttered shops and the quality of the shops looked alright.  The Spanish love their shopping malls, so maybe they're not so taken with online shopping. 

luckyBatistuta
Just now, westbow said:

Pretty sure the last one I commented on was a couple of months ago. Sharon Davies was going on about empty hotels (they really aren’t) and empty Princes St.

The cheaper end of the market hotels certainly aren’t, must be costing the country a fortune.

Ulysses
2 minutes ago, westbow said:

Sharon Davies was going on about empty hotels (they really aren’t) 

Empty hotels?  In Edinburgh?  Did she fall on her head at some point?

31 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I was in one of these on Princes Street three weeks ago.

They were selling small bags of Takis for £8.50 ffs.

They are about 2€ in Spain for the big bags.

westbow
18 minutes ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

Really? Believe me, the local market is crap. The only people spending in town are tourists. Edinburgh folk just buy online or go to Newcraighall, Straiton, etc. Even out of centre places like Stockbridge or Morningside struggle- every second shop is a coffee shop. 

il Duce McTarkin

It's a ****ing shithole.

A ****ing shithole.

westbow
5 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Empty hotels?  In Edinburgh?  Did she fall on her head at some point?

Mibbe dove into a drained pool?

Debut 4

George Street is the new Princes Street, it’s in better nick and more upmarket. 

8 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Complete with oompah loompahs

Sporting mullet lips and enormous fanned eyelashes, gotta be something wrong with their mirrors or maybe their partially blind, the state of them.

Ulysses
2 minutes ago, OBE said:

Sporting mullet lips and enormous fanned eyelashes, gotta be something wrong with their mirrors or maybe their partially blind, the state of them.

4b20dab3920510475f3f404dd59db63c

luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, westbow said:

Really? Believe me, the local market is crap. The only people spending in town are tourists. Edinburgh folk just buy online or go to Newcraighall, Straiton, etc. Even out of centre places like Stockbridge or Morningside struggle- every second shop is a coffee shop. 

If it’s not a coffee shop in Morningside it’s a charity shop

westbow
Just now, Debut 4 said:

George Street is the new Princes Street, it’s in better nick and more upmarket. 

Aye and St James Quarter. Princes St needs repurposed into hotels, restaurants, residential flats, etc. The flats where Simpson’s used to be go for a bomb - could you imagine the price of a pad overlooking the castle! The domestic rates would replace the business rates for the council.

luckyBatistuta

Edited by luckyBatistuta

westbow
3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

If it’s not a coffee shop in Morningside it’s a charity shop

Ken, I saw another deli/coffee shop about to open last week- the residents of morningside must be hyper and thrifty. They have all the chain coffee shops and loads of independents. 

luckyBatistuta
8 minutes ago, OBE said:

IMG_7467.jpeg.f2ec990ff827399a86d5bfb661b3e952.jpeg

I’ll be wif you in 2 secs luv

IMG_7466.jpeg.4f4ac884bfd2763e7337c58ce89b92fd.jpeg

Oh urry up, got an appointment at the tanning studio

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, westbow said:

Ken, I saw another deli/coffee shop about to open last week- the residents of morningside must be hyper and thrifty. They have all the chain coffee shops and loads of independents. 

Still got Mellis though, I’m done when that’s gone

9 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

4b20dab3920510475f3f404dd59db63c

3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

IMG_7467.jpeg.f2ec990ff827399a86d5bfb661b3e952.jpeg

I’ll be wif you in 2 secs luv

IMG_7466.jpeg.4f4ac884bfd2763e7337c58ce89b92fd.jpeg

Oh urry up, got an appointment at the tanning studio

I'll see your coalface, clown and oompha and raise you...

State.jpeg

Greedy Jambo

I saw a lassie in scotmid that looked a bit like that, it's crazy that they actually think they look good. 

You'd think their friends or family would tell them. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Malinga the Swinga

Ann Summers is now a flagship of Princes Street which considering the shops that used to be located there is some story.

George Street and St James quarter is where most decent shops located.

All part of our councils plan to turn Princes Street into some tourist centre full of cafes and hotels.

Ulysses
5 minutes ago, OBE said:

State.jpeg

MOAR TAN PLZ!

westbow
12 minutes ago, OBE said:

State.jpeg

The King Charles finger look.

westbow
19 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Still got Mellis though, I’m done when that’s gone

Still have a very good bookshop at Holycorner. I suppose that’s brunstfield. 

luckyBatistuta
16 minutes ago, OBE said:

State.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I saw a lassie in scotmid that looked a bit like that, it's crazy that they actually think they look good. 

You'd think their friends or family would tell them. 

I actually saw two girls together that looked similar to that, one had the biggest protruding cheekbones I’ve ever seen in my life. Everyone was staring at them. I just don’t understand how they can look in a mirror and feel good. Probably don’t, seeing as they continue down the path of more procedures.

10 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Ann Summers is now a flagship of Princes Street which considering the shops that used to be located there is some story.

George Street and St James quarter is where most decent shops located.

All part of our councils plan to turn Princes Street into some tourist centre full of cafes and hotels.

Ann Summers on top, who’d have thunk it 

luckyBatistuta
8 minutes ago, westbow said:

:lol:

Pasquale for King

Like most of the city centre its all aimed at tourists, the cost of renting the shops is obviously too high and if the new St James was going to decimate Princes Street then It should never have been allowed to do so. 

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, westbow said:

😆👍🏽👏🏾

10 minutes ago, westbow said:

Good shout...👍

luckyBatistuta

St James Quarter got to be the biggest wind tunnel in Scotland, freezing in there. Why is it wide open at both ends, surely could have built it with option to close it during the winter months.

7 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

St James Quarter got to be the biggest wind tunnel in Scotland, freezing in there. Why is it wide open at both ends, surely could have built it with option to close it during the winter months.

Can be a bit chilly but it's a good shopping centre. As for Princes Street it will gradually morph into hotels , cafes and restaurants with Castle views rather than shops. My partner is excited about some Japanese store opening soon in Princes Street though so she will probably drag me along too.

Howdy Doody Jambo

There are a few homeless tents on Princes Street and have been there for a couple of months at least, the shity clowncil need to up there game and sort this out 

Victorian
15 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Can be a bit chilly but it's a good shopping centre. As for Princes Street it will gradually morph into hotels , cafes and restaurants with Castle views rather than shops. My partner is excited about some Japanese store opening soon in Princes Street though so she will probably drag me along too.

Uniqlo.  Primark / Matalan clobber.