Your Favourite Semi in the Scottish Cup πŸ†

Howdy Doody Jambo

ArcticJambo
1 minute ago, Percival King said:

We've gone on to greater things since but '96 felt like a turning point (and it was), we'd finally won a semi and also dished out the heartbreak instead of receiving it. And we were wearing a superb strip. And it was a proper 3pm Saturday semi. And it was sunny.

All memorable reasons.

:sweeet:

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sydney

• tian447

• ShortmanRossco

• Watt-Zeefuik

martoon
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Β 

:Agree:

Β 

Aberdeen in 95/96 was a cracker.Β  Pretty good match from memory.Β  It looked like we had arsed it when Duncan Shearer scored but somehow knicked it.Β  It was another one to end a long wait for a final.Β  Seem to remember that the weegie plod were later called out for being ****ing Nazis.Β  Dozens of arrests for **** all.Β 

Β 

That's true about the Glesga polis.

Β 

Iirc, they suggested Hearts fans behaved like a load of country bumpkins who were not used to big days out in the big city or something like that.

Β 

Ffs, our club is from Edinburgh. The greatest and most civilised city in Scotland. πŸ˜„Β 

thegreatsd

One of my favourites was my first ever trip to Hampden when I was 10. John Colquhoun scored the only goal of the game against Dundee Utd back in 86. Cracking strike! The Beattie one is the best though…. Absolute bedlam when we scored late on. Hopefully Sunday tops the lot though! Mon the JT’s. πŸ‘πŸ‡±πŸ‡»

PortyBeach
3 hours ago, Victorian said:

Β 

I'm giving a shout to the 85/86 one vs Dundee United.

Β 

Being one of the best teams in the country was still pretty novel for us.Β  We were playing one of the best and highly experienced on the big occasion.Β  John Colquhoun scored earlyish and it was a bit of a battle.Β  But it ended up with us in our first final for a while.Β  I think beating that Dundee United team af Hampden was a big step.

Good comment. It should be remembered United were a strong side that year (and in that era) and had been strongly touted to win the title.

Hearts had, of course, demolished that notion after our brilliant 3-0 win at Tannadice.

Still depressing to recall how it all endedβ€¦πŸ˜–

cookieboy
1 minute ago, PortyBeach said:

Good comment. It should be remembered United were a strong side that year (and in that era) and had been strongly touted to win the title.

Hearts had, of course, demolished that notion after our brilliant 3-0 win at Tannadice.

Tannadice was the following weekΒ 

PortyBeach
1 minute ago, cookieboy said:

Tannadice was the following weekΒ 

I wasn’t aiming to be chronological. Honest.

cookieboy
Just now, PortyBeach said:

I wasn’t aiming to be chronological. Honest.

😎

Victorian
3 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Β 

The home match vs Aberdeen after that was the decisive one that cost us.Β  The first ever live televised league game.Β  We got a late draw against another really good side but that dropped point made the difference.

Β 

There are many other matches that are cited as the one that made the difference.Β  Losses to St.Mirren,Β  Motherwell,Β  Clydebank.Β  A draw with Clydebank.Β  The final match loss to Dundee is obvious but there were two draws with Dundee as well.Β Β 

ShortmanRossco

Another shout for 2012 from me.

Β 

Honestly thought Lennon’s head was about to spontaneously combust 😁

Edited by ShortmanRossco

Benny Klack

Dundee United β€˜86

Β 

Colquhoun firing a volley into the old style Hampden nets.

Β 

You never forget your first semi.

N Lincs Jambo

It's difficult to compare when there's been semis you've attended and others you haven't. 2006 was amazing because of the build-up, we wanted Murrayfield, they wanted Hampden, and yes I was there.

Β 

I didn't make 2012 and that is one of my biggest ever regrets. 2020 though seems to get forgotten about primarily imho because there were no fans. But out of the 4 times we've played them at Hampden that is the only time we were serious underdogs due to us being in the second tier and being weeks behind in preparation. And we still ****ed them!

Β 

Inverness in 2019 was precious for me as tickets weren't an issue and I had two of my daughters with me, one for her first Hampden experience but as games go pretty uninspiring, job done.

Β 

I attended semis at Hampden in the 70s and 80s but my first winning semi there was v Aberdeen in 1996 so that will always be a special memory. 1998 was also amazing as Falkirk were so much better than we expected, McAllister especially. Fisticuffs behind the Govan after the game as well.

gregzy2k7

2012 semi was absolutely brilliant,

Β 

The sheer emotion and elation after Beattie scored that pen was the best feeling I have ever had at a live football match.

Β 

I would imagine the 2006 final was pretty damn good as well though?Β 

Β 

So grateful I have been able to experience it,

Β 

Still never been to a SC final unfortunately.

Β 

Β 

trotter

The semi I had one glorious day in May tops the lot for me thanks πŸ‘Œ

8 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

If push comes to shove it's probably the Hibs 4-0 but after years of losing I have a soft spot for 96 and 98.

Both had that here we go again feeling.

Same for me.

periodictabledancer

1996 because we finally broke the hoodoo when it seemed we'd never get to another final. Also because there was such a massive Hearts support at that game and the Sheep were doing a Hibs and failed to turn up. A massive leap forward for us and proof that Aberdeen were finished.Β 

Gundermann
4 hours ago, Sydney said:

Β 

Β 

This, the Paul Hartley Semi.Β  :whistling:

Β 

Got simultenous texts when the third went in. One from another Jambo saying 'How good?', the other from a Hibee pal saying '*** this, we're off'.

boag1874

4-0, covid semi & the Simms/Kingsley game v Hibs are all huge shouts because you can’t beat a win v them, but for me it has to be 2012 v Celtic. Huge underdogs, Rudi’s excellent goal before the usual heartbreak with them equalising from an offside position late on, horrible feeling of here we go again, but out of the blue we get a penalty and Beattie smashes it in followed by the most iconic celebration in recent Hearts memory. Lennon blowing his top at FT was the cherry on top, and we all know what it led to :rudiyas:

TexasAndy

Hibs 2006 and Celtic 2012 are hard to beat but I have great memories of Allan Johnstone's winner v Aberdeen in 1996 right after they had equalised.

Jamie86

The Beattie semi vs celtic is up there but for me, the Covid semi vs Hibs was one of the best. Yes, we didn't win the cup and it wasn't the best game but for what happened in the previous season, the anger we all had, the build of hibs fans saying they were going to hammer us then they absolutely hibs it as usual was sweet. Plus it gave us that Craig Gordon smiley gif 😍

Β 

The feeling after the Kingsley free kick went in in 2022 was "this could be another 5-1 type of game". We made it harder than it needed to be and could have absolutely done them that day. Still, another win at Hampden against them.Β 

PortyBeach
8 hours ago, Sydney said:

Hearts 3 Falkirk 1

Thanks for posting. My first visit to the impressive rebuilt Ibrox.

We didn’t play as well as we were capable of but, at the same time, Falkirk contributed massively to the game and McAllister’s individual performance was a stand-out.

Luckily, we had our own powerhouse in Neil McCann who pretty much turned the game for us.

Still weird seeing Berry and Crabbe playing against Hearts!!

rudi must stay
16 hours ago, jr ewing said:

V Celtic. Tactical genius πŸ‘Β 

Β 

1-1 then he brought on Pyrchenko and we won it. Paulo was a fearless manager for us. He is my favourite Hearts manager by a distance

TexasAndy
17 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

Β 

Β 

Actually just found it on youtube - thanks to a Dundee Utd fan -Β 

Β 

Mis remembered the Billy Thomson incident he runs miles out his box and decides he can just go to Colquhouns and handle the ball 3 times. Incident at 14 mins 10 seconds -Β 

Β 

Β 

Shamefully this game slipped my mind.Β  Wonderful day.Β  Memories of puffing on a cigar as news of West Tip winning the national filtered through.Β  Me and mates were pi*hed, happy and loaded that day!

tian447

The Hartley semi final.Β  His hat trick, including his free kick for the second, was superb.Β  You don't get many hat tricks in such big games, and that's in the history books forever.Β 

Β 

The Jankauskas goal was wonderful stuff as well. Rounding the keeper and rolling it into an empty net from a tight angle.Β  A Zibi classic.Β 

Β 

Hibs got 2 red cards, and had the piss well and truly taken out of them in that match.Β 

Β 

Much like the next time we played them at Hampden :jj:

Β 

I P Knightley
17 hours ago, ShortmanRossco said:

Another shout for 2012 from me.

Β 

Honestly thought Lennon’s head was about to spontaneously combust 😁

Really tough to choose a favourite but I think that this snippet tips the balance in favour of 2012.Β 

Β 

I tend to forget justΒ howΒ empty the Hibs left Hampden in 2006 - from the very start. After all their gubbins about not wanting Murrayfield, they couldn't be arsed backing their team. Got what they deserved.Β 

ShortmanRossco
19 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Really tough to choose a favourite but I think that this snippet tips the balance in favour of 2012.Β 

Β 

I tend to forget justΒ howΒ empty the Hibs left Hampden in 2006 - from the very start. After all their gubbins about not wanting Murrayfield, they couldn't be arsed backing their team. Got what they deserved.Β 

I mean fair enough their goal was about a postcode offside but it’s the fact our penalty was such a ridiculously harsh decision that really sells it for me. Absolutely ****ing magnificent 🀣

Bungalow Bill

The 2006 Hibs semi has been surpassed by the 2012 SCF. The Celtic semi is the ultimate for me, given how we beat them - last minute penalty. Plus only PHMs in attendanceΒ :cheese:Β Β 
Β 

Β 

19 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

It was a great day and night. We beat Dundee Utd, we were top of the League, and West Tip obliged in the Grand National at 15/2 .Β 

PortyBeach
2 hours ago, Tiro said:

It was a great day and night. We beat Dundee Utd, we were top of the League, and West Tip obliged in the Grand National at 15/2 .Β 

It was a bit like a male orgasm: exhilarating at the time but sometimes followed in the fullness of time by serious disappointment 🀭

Edited by PortyBeach

Watt-Zeefuik

The Beattie game. Absolutely incredible moment, incredible viewing.

cookieboy
On 15/04/2024 at 21:28, Victorian said:

Β 

The home match vs Aberdeen after that was the decisive one that cost us.Β  The first ever live televised league game.Β  We got a late draw against another really good side but that dropped point made the difference.

Β 

There are many other matches that are cited as the one that made the difference.Β  Losses to St.Mirren,Β  Motherwell,Β  Clydebank.Β  A draw with Clydebank.Β  The final match loss to Dundee is obvious but there were two draws with Dundee as well.Β Β 

Gough equaliser in 97th minute at Tannadice alsoΒ 

Sherbet
1 hour ago, cookieboy said:

Gough equaliser in 97th minute at Tannadice alsoΒ 

Not puting 5 past clydebank

tian447
7 hours ago, ShortmanRossco said:

I mean fair enough their goal was about a postcode offside but it’s the fact our penalty was such a ridiculously harsh decision that really sells it for me. Absolutely ****ing magnificent 🀣

Β 

It's been over a decade, and I still don't understand how people see that penalty as "ridiculously harsh".Β  They handled the ball twice in the ****ing area!Β  One of them was a basketball dribble with a downward hand motion that came after a handball that blocked a shot and totally killed the momentum of the ball ffs!Β 

Β 

I'm just absolutely stunned we actually got the call from the referee, given the circumstances.Β  The only thing that annoys me is that more of those *******s didn't get bookings or sending off for shouting at the referee. That fud Forster was screaming point blank in the refs face.Β 

Edited by tian447

Jambo92

2012 Final

2006 semiΒ 

2012 semi

2022 SemiΒ 

Β 

In that order!

Β 

leginten
7 hours ago, Bungalow Bill said:

The 2006 Hibs semi has been surpassed by the 2012 SCF. The Celtic semi is the ultimate for me, given how we beat them - last minute penalty. Plus only PHMs in attendanceΒ :cheese:Β Β 
Β 

Β 

The three semi-finals against Hibs were all wonderful, even the one in the empty stadium. But the 2012 semi-final stands out. The drama and tension were something else. The scene was set for Celtic to do what they do and steal it at the end after the offside equaliser. But the Hearts players and supporters picked themselves up and went again. No heads dropped. If I’m honest, that game eclipses the final itself.

tian447
17 minutes ago, ShortmanRossco said:

Guy gets the ball absolutely thundercunted at him from two yards away with his arm against his body. What was he supposed to do?!

Β 

His arm was up, and away from his body.Β  It doesn't matter if the shot came in, at the end of the day, he blocked a goal bound shot with his arm.Β 

Β 

Even if that wasn't a handball, the second player handling it definitely is.Β 

Β 

Non issue. Celtic are scum and we finally got a well deserved call against them (pre-VAR).Β  I hope they are still fizzing about it. Lennon probably is!Β 

ShortmanRossco
8 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Β 

His arm was up, and away from his body.Β  It doesn't matter if the shot came in, at the end of the day, he blocked a goal bound shot with his arm.Β 

Β 

Even if that wasn't a handball, the second player handling it definitely is.Β 

Β 

Non issue. Celtic are scum and we finally got a well deserved call against them (pre-VAR).Β  I hope they are still fizzing about it. Lennon probably is!Β 

So that’s went from β€œIn what world is that not a handball πŸ˜‚β€ to that in less than 20 minutes. Maybe not worthy of a laughing emoji then is it?

Β 

The second one is a far more plausible shout, granted.

tian447
10 minutes ago, ShortmanRossco said:

So that’s went from β€œIn what world is that not a handball πŸ˜‚β€ to that in less than 20 minutes. Maybe not worthy of a laughing emoji then is it?

Β 

The second one is a far more plausible shout, granted.

Β 

No, I'm saying even if it wasn't a handball, the other one is.Β  It was to put further doubt on your assertion they were hard done by that it should have been given for at least one of them.Β  It's not in any way back pedalling.Β 

Β 

Both are absolutely 100% handballs, especially by the older rules. He blocked a goalscoring opportunity. :thumbsup:

Β 

How you can have any sympathy for them is the bit that needs the laughing emoji.Β