Hibbys you loathed but turned out to be sound in real life

gordon simpson

PortyBeach
On 29/03/2024 at 17:23, JTJ said:

Jim McArthur was training to be a PE Teacher when part time with Cowdenbeath but went full time with Hibs.  Our school's Staff v Pupils game saw Jim (plus a couple more ringers) playing for the staff team.  Due to the weather we had to use a hockey pitch with their small goals but I enjoyed putting three past him 😁.  I saw him a few times after that and he always took the slagging well!  

Lawrie Reilly always came to the Willie Bauld Dinner and all players of that era were quite pally together. I guess they weren't paid much, compared to nowadays.......

Jimmy O'Rourke was a great guy, unlucky to never play for Scotland. Despite singing about "Send the Hibees to Vietnam" I quite liked Peter Cormack and the one time I met him he was quite quiet and unassuming for a Scottish International.

The “Vietnam” chant (which doesn’t half date those of us who sang it!!) was borne out of frustration at the fact that we compared so poorly to Hibs teams of that era.

It was a sore time to be a Jambo. 
And yes, Cormack was a top player. 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sir PH

• Bazzas right boot

• been here before

• gordon simpson

augusthearts
10 hours ago, been here before said:

I forgot about Laurie Rielly. Obviously never saw him play or met him but always came over as a real gent when interviewed.

His book is quite good too as I recall.

Yes it is. Very interesting read tbf.

RudiSkacelsLeftPeg
On 29/03/2024 at 16:00, gordon simpson said:

I have 2 

first is Jimmy O'rourke who I was friends with , and his 3 brothers who were all great guys and hibs daft 

second was George Stewart who I lived beside when he was at Dundee and then signed for hibs a great guy

This is a copy of a thread on .net. 

**** sake tough times having to copy threads from that mob. 

been here before
5 minutes ago, RudiSkacelsLeftPeg said:

If only someone had pointed that out Friday.

Pans Jambo

None of them. Even the ones I went on holiday with, worked with, or drank with in the pubs round my area were truely decent. Gid lads until you brought up football then they turn in to proper dix. 

dannymack
On 30/03/2024 at 09:10, davemclaren said:

Eric Stevenson stayed three doors down from us in a council house in Bonnyrigg with his wife and kids ( might only have been one but my memory of the late 60s is fading a bit ).  Footballers didn't get paid a lot then.  

I remember the excitement when Peter Marinello visited the street - he was wearing a long brown leather coat iirc. I certainly didn't imagine he would play for Hearts one day. 😄

IMG-20220418-WA0007.thumb.jpg.d7c91acb0a92f3c236ee1c31f1c05885.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_180548_PhotoDirector.thumb.jpg.7037404bcab4313a185ebee1f6d7ae57.jpg

Screenshot_20240331_173310_PhotoDirector.thumb.jpg.9c45c5a9f4671ea0b0995e7cad8835e6.jpg

PeterMarinello1983_b.jpg.19e076fe9cc12817dd41fd21b0be517f.jpg

Screenshot_20240331_173524_Gallery.jpg.52299c1d025de44cf405d9a1bc1c135b.jpg

RudiSkacelsLeftPeg
1 hour ago, been here before said:

If only someone had pointed that out Friday.

Didn’t know there was a time limit boss. 

gordon simpson
1 hour ago, RudiSkacelsLeftPeg said:

aye I thought it was a good thread ,a chance for Jambos to tell their stories 

been here before
5 minutes ago, RudiSkacelsLeftPeg said:

Didn’t know there was a time limit boss. 

That doesnt make sense boss.

iantjambo

John Hughes is an absolute gentleman.

also, when I worked in Asda in Newhaven, I drank in The Annfield when it was run by Tommy Preston. A diamond of a guy, who used to have some amazing stories to tell. He also boasted a certain Willie Bauld as his best mate.

Edited by iantjambo

Bob Loblaw

To echo others Brown was surprisingly sound. Met him in Le Monde not long after he left Hibs. It was a night before an Edinburgh Derby and asked who he thought would win. His response of "Hearts will scud them" surprised me. He was of course correct. 

John Hughes is also a really nice guy and I met Stuart Lovell after he bizarrely played for Hearts legends team, he was a great guy to talk to.

Paul Kane is a ****ing fud. 

waterboy11

Met Yogi Hughes a number of times and he is always great to talk to. Enjoy a bit of back and forth as well.

Strangely - Neil Lennon is also not as bad as you would think with his 'on field/in the dugout persona'. Him and Gary Parker joined us in the pub after he took in one of our Sunday league games (his nephew signed for us). 

The Treasurer

Interesting comments on a few wee teamers. 

My own personal experience., 

Orourke, good guy and a fantastic player. 

Brown, absolute arsehole. 

Goram,creepy prick and complete bigot 

When I was a kid I used to see Stuart Lovell the Aussie boy that played for Hibs in the late 90's quite often. He must've lived near by or something. He always had time for me and my mates. He was a really nice guy. 

the posh bit

Stephen Whittaker isn't a bad lad. Tells a funny story about the Zaliukas derby after they won the league cup. Apparently almost all of their first team bet BIG on a cricket score on the run up to that derby. Shame. 

Jamos86
On 30/03/2024 at 07:44, mscjambo said:

My grandad told a story about Kane. We was a decorator doing a job for him and he said he dreamt of burning down Tynecastle when he found out he was a jambo. My grandad was a chilled man just said Kane wasn't the nicest of chaps 

Remember seeing Kane and his mates at the Graeme Souness Q&A in the Gorgie Suite. Seemed a bit of a twat and one of his mates stopped getting served alcohol 🙈

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

Interesting comments on a few wee teamers. 

My own personal experience., 

Orourke, good guy and a fantastic player. 

Brown, absolute arsehole. 

Goram,creepy prick and complete bigot 

Spot on about Goram.  👍

We’ve had a good few beers at Glencorse when he was present.

A complete ‘up himself’ idiot in our opinion. 

Class of 75
On 29/03/2024 at 22:18, dannymack said:

IMG_20191029_215659.jpg

Haynes became a Jambo as lived in Edinburgh. Remember him on Sky Sports talking about one of the games and why he supported Hearts. 

Edited by Class of 75

TexasAndy

Jimmy O'Rourke and Pat Stanton.  Met Jimmy when he ran his bookies in Gorgie Road for a while.  Great guy.  Never met Pat Stanton but together with Jimmy and the rest of the early 70s Hibs team they haunted my childhood.  Over the years I have grown to appreciate how good a player Stanton was and any time I hear him interviewed he comes across as a total gentleman.

WeeToonJambo

Joe Baker!  Hated him when I was young for no other reason than he always seemed to score against us.  I met him years later and told him that.  He laughed then proceeded to tell me stories about his football days.  His favourite was when he was picked for England and the taxi driver who took him to the England training ground was suspicious of him because of his Scottish accent and called the police who interviewed him as a suspect terrorist or something.  A really nice guy and died just a few weeks later.

gordon simpson

Was having a drink with Jimmy O'Rourke and he told me a story of him taking the youth team for training.

He was training the youths at Easter Rd and had a date with girlfriend who he was meeting later,

it was night training so floodlights were on

and he was rushing the training so he could get a flier 

well training  ended quick shower and off ,jumped in his car 

nashed up to Meadowbank for fuel and as he stood filling his tank 

looked over to ER and wondered what was wrong,

then it struck him he had left the floodlights on he 

nashed back turned them off and hopped Turnbull never found out 

If carlsberg did rivals...

I'm surprised Paul Kane gets mentioned in a bad light, my gf at the time her mate worked in his pub so I had drinks there 3 or 4 times, that was probably in the late 90's. Met him in the passing half a dozen times since and he's always came across as sound.

Nobreath

I never actually loathed him as he was a bit before my time, but I met Lawrie Reilly at his pub many years ago and despite him knowing we were a group of Jambos, he was a complete gentleman and chatted away to us for ages.

Eric Stevenson had a sweetie shop just opposite my primary school in Bonnyrigg.  Despite him overcharging me by a penny for a packet of Trebor Blobs, he seemed like a decent guy.

Edited by Nobreath

Americana
On 29/03/2024 at 16:56, been here before said:

Awwwww man we've taken to nicking thread ideas from .nugget

Thought that.