Hibbys you loathed but turned out to be sound in real life

gordon simpson

Madjambo21

Met Stokes in the corinthian playing Roulette. 

My friend and I had been put all day and were just passing time till our lift turned up.

To be fair to him he had a laugh with us although his mate had on jobby catchers and looked dodgy as hell.

Weird night as we also met Neil Lennon earlier in Ashton lane

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sir PH

• Bazzas right boot

• been here before

• gordon simpson

If carlsberg did rivals...
14 minutes ago, OTT said:

I'm sure I bumped into McGinn & Boyle in Storries not long after their cup win. TBH both seemed like decent guys :D 

Remember being a bit surprised at how small Boyle is :lol: 

He's 6 inches taller now due to his hair.

Joe Newall funnily enough.

Had my boy in sick kids December 22. Hibs squad were in doing their thing meeting the kids but my wee boy wasn't interested in seeing them being a Jambo. Joe Newall took it upon himself to come over away from the rest of the squad and give the wee man a selection pack, a wee bit of Hearts / Hibs banter, asked him about his own football team and wished him a merry Christmas. Can't ask for much more than that given the situation. 

CostaJambo
1 hour ago, Paolo said:

Can’t say I have met that many.  If my memory serves me correct though, Gareth Evans used to own/run the West End Hotel in Palmerston Place.  I used to go there with my mates in the 90s.  He was happy for us to spend our cash, but as soon as we won a couple of jackpots in the fruit machines one night, he chucked us out.  The jackpot wasn’t even that big in those days.   

Quite a coincidence, Donald Park owned that hotel too at some point, mid/late eighties I think.

Warby72

Scott Brown, expected him to be a complete twat but he was really sound.

Bumped into Yogi in Mad dogs on George Street had a good laugh with him.

Horatio Caine

Bumped into Pat Nevin once in the John Lewis restaurant. He was there with his daughter. Nice guy. Sound.

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 hour ago, JWL said:

He was sound and had no love for Hibs. Drank in his pub for years. Despite it being a Drybrough pub, he used to sell pint bottles of Tennents on the sly as it was pretty shitty lager on draught (even shittier than Tennents). Obviously, he ended up getting caught out by the brewery and as a few Hibbies drank in the place he had the Hibs song on the jukey. Anyway, on his last night, he swapped the Hibs song for the Hearts song (45 vinyl discs back then). Cue around 8.00 and one of the Hibs guys puts the Hibs song on the jukey and seconds later Away up in Gorge is blasting out. Cropley was pissing himself.

😂 Class and I bet it cost the poor H1b5y 20p , get in 😂

Erich Schaedler, Alec Cropley, Jimmy O'Rourke were old school and all pretty sound. Met Mixu in Maddogs a few years ago and he was a decent guy. 

TorinoJambo
4 hours ago, gordon simpson said:

I have 2 

first is Jimmy O'rourke who I was friends with , and his 3 brothers who were all great guys and hibs daft 

second was George Stewart who I lived beside when he was at Dundee and then signed for hibs a great guy

Jimmy was sound. I worked in Meadowbank House for over forty years and went into the Jocks Lodge when he had it. The banter was brilliant.

TorinoJambo
1 hour ago, Warby72 said:

Scott Brown, expected him to be a complete twat but he was really sound.

Bumped into Yogi in Mad dogs on George Street had a good laugh with him.

One of my nieces married a Fife guy who was a good mate of Scott Brown. He couldn't attend the wedding ceremony as he was playing but came at night. He was a good laugh and put up with the banter from the many jambos there . 

Nookie Bear
3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Jason Cummins 

Keith wright ( I know him and his wife ) 

Scott Brown 

Met him at Center Parcs and he was sound. 

Had an afternoon in the pub with Ian Murray, was a really sound guy. 

Benny Klack
1 hour ago, Homme said:

Joe Newall funnily enough.

Had my boy in sick kids December 22. Hibs squad were in doing their thing meeting the kids but my wee boy wasn't interested in seeing them being a Jambo. Joe Newall took it upon himself to come over away from the rest of the squad and give the wee man a selection pack, a wee bit of Hearts / Hibs banter, asked him about his own football team and wished him a merry Christmas. Can't ask for much more than that given the situation. 

Nice story - fair enough. I’ve always thought that it must be a real joy being a footballer and going into children’s wards and handing out gifts, proper heartwarming stuff. 

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Met him at Center Parcs and he was sound. 

😎👍

Have come across both Jimmy O’Rourke and Yogi Hughes in the course of work and both were stand up guys. 

zeke1874

Think this thread shows there's a real difference between genuinely dislikable characters and guys who are just hated players. Scott Brown being prime example, can't stand him kn the pitch but off it seems a really good guy. Exactly like Naismith as a player. Nasty, shitehoosery behaviour, infuriating fans and opposition players but actually really sound off the pitch. 

Gorgierools

For the record. Gordon Strachan was a tit at school and still is.

PortyJambo
4 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Heard a few accounts that despite being a player you love to hate, off the park, Scott Brown is a top lad.

4 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Scott Brown. 

4 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Met him a few times in pubs . Always been very pleasant . 

3 hours ago, kila said:

Met Scott Brown when he came into where I was working many years ago. Was surprisingly polite.

Funnily enough, a Hibs season ticket holder that I knew said he met Brown in a pub and Brown was a dick to him, so he had disliked him ever since (this was when Brown played for them before he went to Celtic). The Hibs fan, although a decent guy himself most of the time, could be a dick when he had a drink in him, so I'm guessing that might have had something to do with it...or Brown just disliked Hibs fans :lol:

Hearts1975
4 hours ago, JJ93 said:

Interesting what he said recently about why he shaved his head as a player (to look like a thug) and now he’s growing his hair like normal. 

Aye. This was the biggest one that surprised me. He was on some football show with 2 co presenters 

Used to hate him and just the way he portrayed himself but basically just said the whole pitch thing and image, was just an act, and he was trying to gain any advantage he could 

But then said he is completely different away from football. Just a family man. Kinda hard listening to someone that you couldn't stand for a long long time, and by the end of the show, your actually thinking - is this the same person! 

6 hours ago, gordon simpson said:

I have 2 

first is Jimmy O'rourke who I was friends with , and his 3 brothers who were all great guys and hibs daft 

second was George Stewart who I lived beside when he was at Dundee and then signed for hibs a great guy

I used to drink in his pub ( was Jocks Lodge). Good guy, me and few Jambo pals were regulars and he was always very welcoming whatever the results. 

4 hours ago, been here before said:

Bumped into him a couple of times, nice dude. Keep meaning to buy his book.

Only ever met him through the laddies football. He's presented medals and such like and couldnt have been nicer posing for dozens and dozens of pictures, signing autographs, getting ripped by the laddies and spending time with them all afterward 

My boy played for Rosyth mid 90s . Scott Brown did the end of season presentation and 4 boys who were Hearts supporters turned up in the 4-0 t shirts produced after the semi v Hibs. 
He took it in good style and had a laugh with the boys . 
still think he’s a ***** though!

dannymack
5 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Only footballer I ever spent any time with, my mate's dad's friend, where we would often go out for a meal after home games, was Johnny Haynes.  I was about 12/13 so never really appreciated his stature as a player in the game at the time. Absolute gent, however, that was very apparent.

IMG_20191029_215659.jpg

If there is any such thing as a ‘good Hibby’, I’d say that Cropley and Jimmy O’Rourke both seem very decent.

I once had a kick-about with Cropley when I was wee and, actually thought that O’Rourke was a pretty good player (and an ok bloke) according to what I’ve read on this thread).

Gorgiewave

Not exactly the question, but I met Martin Boyle's mother on a bus to Pittodrie. A nicer woman you couldn't imagine. Proud of her son but not in a boastful way. He's an Aberdeen fan.

I thought of her when he missed the penalty on 27 December 2023.

ArcticJambo
16 minutes ago, dannymack said:

IMG_20191029_215659.jpg

nice one, danny.

1 hour ago, Hearts1975 said:

Aye. This was the biggest one that surprised me. He was on some football show with 2 co presenters 

Used to hate him and just the way he portrayed himself but basically just said the whole pitch thing and image, was just an act, and he was trying to gain any advantage he could 

But then said he is completely different away from football. Just a family man. Kinda hard listening to someone that you couldn't stand for a long long time, and by the end of the show, your actually thinking - is this the same person! 

haha I can imagine. I'll try to find that show. To be honest, if he was a Hearts player we'd all have loved him. Looked like a right arse though. Glad he is more respectable in real / private life!

Canscot
7 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Not a player but Grant Stott is ok. He went to school with a workmate of mine and he takes banter well, as well as dishing it out. 

Cant think of any player I have met that I thought was a decent lad. 

Wiki has Stott down as a Jambo🤷‍♂️

I could be wrong but I think I saw his name on the FOH shirt too. How many Hibbees contribute to FOH?

Mibbee you’re thinking of Dougray Scott?

Polonia Gorgie

When I was an apprentice, we done a bathroom renovation in Frank Sauzee's flat, he was actually so sound. Every day he put out a proper spread for lunch. The joiners were hibbys n he spent loads of time talking with them. He is a gentleman. But still......... FTH

been here before
17 minutes ago, Canscot said:

Wiki has Stott down as a Jambo🤷‍♂️

I could be wrong but I think I saw his name on the FOH shirt too. How many Hibbees contribute to FOH?

Mibbee you’re thinking of Dougray Scott?

Wouldnt that be Ken Stott?

Canscot
Just now, been here before said:

Wouldnt that be Ken Stott?

Aye! It would be🤭

Getting my Stott in knots it would seem😉

section s heart
1 hour ago, JJ93 said:

haha I can imagine. I'll try to find that show. To be honest, if he was a Hearts player we'd all have loved him. Looked like a right arse though. Glad he is more respectable in real / private life!

Scott Brown was one of a series of sporting interviews done by Tom English a few years back, was surprised he came over as a decent guy. Might still be on bbc sounds. 

Also met Erich Schaedler and Mixu Paatelainen briefly, good guys. Mixu plays/ played golf at Burntisland. 

6 hours ago, wheatfieldtosheffield said:

Agree, a good sound Jambo. Remember seeing him and Davie Bowman outside the main stand in their smart coats before a game (when they were Dundee Utd players but didn't have a match that day)

Darren was a Rangers fan as a kid. His dad, Adam, was a Hearts fan. 

4 hours ago, Gorgierools said:

For the record. Gordon Strachan was a tit at school and still is.

He must have left school by now? He's in his 60s.

None,  all tainted and twisted with their hatred for us 

The Tackle

Riordan… nah I can’t even joke :rofl: genuinely none

jimbojambo
6 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Robbo.....

::troll::

I wouldn't let Robbo hear you say that. Willie Bauld was his Dad's hero and him and Chris favoured Hearts and the other brother was a Hibbie. Told to Scott Wilson on his book tour. 

jimbojambo

I agree with Stanton and O'Rourke being really decent guys but the two that I met almost by accident at a Scotland 1974 that were  sound were Cormack and Blackley. We had made a beeline for Sandy Jardine who disappointingly shut down our Jambo talk with I'm a Rangers man. We then hooked up with Cormack who was a Jambo through his Dad and desperate to sign for Hearts but we hesitated and they jumped in. Blackley was really funny and talk about all the players of the day. Schaedler used to come on the charity walks from the Scottie and was a nice bloke and hid his demons too well from us all. Living in Abbeyhill I met a few over the years and can't think of one who was an idiot off the park. Used to hear of Eric Stevenson visiting local hosteleries pre match but it was a different time when players were paid the same as everyone else and it was a sport not a business as it is now. 

Gareth Evans worked at Scottish Widows for a while early 2000’s possibly ?… Hated him as a player but really good lad once got to know him.  

Perth to Paisley

Through  a friend I met Bobby Smith and Willie Murray at an Average White Band concert in the Usher Hall. [Early 80's?]

Both were really nice guys.

Saw Bobby a couple of times later (after he went to Leicester) and he was a genuinely nice guy.

Passed too soon.

3 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

I wouldn't let Robbo hear you say that. Willie Bauld was his Dad's hero and him and Chris favoured Hearts and the other brother was a Hibbie. Told to Scott Wilson on his book tour. 

Robbo was a Rangers fan as a kid.

13 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

My wife.

That'll explain it

14 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

Robbo was a Rangers fan as a kid.

Really? Thought he liked Liverpool. But he idolised his father, who was PHM

1 minute ago, pablo said:

Really? Thought he liked Liverpool. But he idolised his father, who was PHM

Was possibly more to do with Chris playing for them.

images-1.jpeg

Go for it 1308
15 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Darren Jackson. The end.

Me and Darren went on holiday together in 1966....at Port Seton.

Really sound guy and a good laugh.  

Ps ....his mum was pregnant with him ...and my mum was pregnant with me. My folks were friends  with his folks.😂

mscjambo
15 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

Never knew any. Met Paul Kane and Mickey Weir at an Emlyn Hughes soccer day at Meadowbank Stadium when I was wee. Paul Kane was a knob.

My grandad told a story about Kane. We was a decorator doing a job for him and he said he dreamt of burning down Tynecastle when he found out he was a jambo. My grandad was a chilled man just said Kane wasn't the nicest of chaps