Are we all agreed

Go for it 1308

Jambo92
1 hour ago, karipidis said:

What he said. Scotland looked most threatening when Shankland has been on the park. Bizarre not thinking he should be starting for Scotland 

When did I say he shouldn't? Said he didn't do very much, that's no exactly on Shanks shoulders but he had two chances to score over two games and failed to take them so don't think stubborn Clarke will budge from his stance of starting Dykes.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Luckies1874

• Go for it 1308

• RustyRightPeg

• PaddysBar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

tiger Rudi
5 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Given our fixture next month I hope Naismith watched N.Ireland's performance closely tonight because they did absolutely everything Hearts usually fail to do against Rangers at Hampden. It was like their World Cup Final and virtually every player won their individual battle. Wasn't pretty much of it but they battled and tackled and fought their way to a win that clearly meant a lot to them. There was never any chance they were turning up and having their belly tickled. I hope we go there and play aggressively and with concentration and desire like your mob managed tonight as it's our only chance of a positive result. 

Unfortunately, like Scotland, we don't have a reliable defender on the right side. We have to hope we get lucky and Atty has one of his good days. Or Dexter, or Sibbick. 

Every player has to turn up and play to the best of their ability. Any weak link will be targeted. 

I'm hopeful of a win, but the odds are stacked against us. 

Jambo61
2 hours ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Shankland,  first name on that team sheet to start upfront in the Euros ? He's definitely a starter for me.

Clarke would rather go with forwards who never even threaten than one who was in the right place to miss a couple of chance to prove he was right. He's a boring bar steward! By the way Patterson (who I like) was minging both games, plays like a wee laddie!

Jambo61
31 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

Unfortunately, like Scotland, we don't have a reliable defender on the right side. We have to hope we get lucky and Atty has one of his good days. Or Dexter, or Sibbick. 

Every player has to turn up and play to the best of their ability. Any weak link will be targeted. 

I'm hopeful of a win, but the odds are stacked against us. 

Generally Atty is left to cover full back/ midfield and winger he gets little or no protection/ help!

Shaggy2
9 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Am I the only person who doesn't get the hype around Gilmour. 

He's a slightly better than average player, nothing more 

Thought Gilmour was honking last night against a team you need a playmaker to shine. He plays too deep to worry defensive sides. 
We’re supposed to be strong in midfield but McTominay was more interested in a verbal battle, probably letting a NI player know he earns about 1/10 what he does and as a result he was shite as well. 
McGinn dived a lot and Christie ran around and did nothing but scuff a shot. McLean and Armstrong as back up? Give me strength, man. 
Lewis Ferguson looked ok but bizarrely he’s probably nowhere near a starter. 

Pans Jambo
9 hours ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Why not?

Beacause hes:

1. Not an EPL player. 
2. Not a Celtic player. 
3. Not covered in Twatoos. 

Edited by Pans Jambo

The big miss for Scotland is McGregor he’s the best player we have, holds the midfield together and allows the rest to get forward. With McGregor in the team Shanks would get far more chances to score and should undoubtedly start over the other two. I feel sorry for that Patterson he’s hardly kicked a ball all season and it pains me to say it but Porteous should be in there also.

Need to go for a wash now after that!

GorgieFifeLife
10 hours ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Why not?

Against Germany for example we will be backs against the wall and playing on the break.  Shankland is not the man for that.

TexasAndy

As much as I think Dykes and Adams have done well for Scotland over last 2-3 years there's no question that neither carry the same goal threat as Shankland.  There was nothing that Dykes did last night that Shankland couldn't improve on so yes he should be considered the main man.  My fear is the stubborn nature of Clarke.  The more people tell him that Shankland needs to play the more he is going to resist.

Go for it 1308
1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Beacause hes:

1. Not an EPL player. 
2. Not a Celtic player. 
3. Not covered in Twatoos. 

Now, why didn't I think of that?😂

Go for it 1308
36 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Against Germany for example we will be backs against the wall and playing on the break.  Shankland is not the man for that.

Ffs

Thumperbeni
10 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

He's shown very little in the 90mins he's had over last 2 games.  Only saving grace for him is nobody else looked anywhere near the standard either.

Sounds harsh to say but cannot help but feel we're the perfect level for him.

Nothing harsh about it all, suits us perfectly 💪

Ex member of the SaS

Shanks did more in 16 minutes than the whole team put together ( Ok not quite ). He nearly did the impossible but how many manger thinks a player can come on with 16 minutes left and win the game is a clown. I know players love to play for their country but I would happily withdraw Shanks from the team, as he is obviously not rated by the clown in charge. How the best striker in the country can't get a start ( even in a friendly ) shows the manager doesn't have a clue.

The one and only reason he did not play longer was they were kicking us off the park and maybe JUST maybe the manager didn't want him injured.

Fozzyonthefence
49 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

You mean like when Hearts play at Ibrox and Celtic Park with backs to the wall and 25% possession?  Yet he still manages to score regularly. 

To be honest though I wouldn’t like to see him play against Germany then miss out on the two winnable games because we inevitably get humped and create nothing.  Better the other way around - Dykes v Germany and becomes the fall guy then Shankland starting the other two. 

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

TheBigO
11 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Not the first name on the team sheet, Gilmour is, probably followed by Hickey going on that Patterson showing. 

Shankland is our best CF, and no matter our formation, needs to play.  If it's on up (it always is), it's Shanks, if it's 2 up, it's Shanks.  We need to play on the backfoot, Shanks, we need to create against a stuffy team, Shanks.  I don't mind Dykes, he's done a right good job for us.  Adams disappoints a little but he's willing and you feel has more in him.  But if that's our 3, it's Shanks all day.

As far as first name on team sheet.  We have a core and I'd say without any of these, and especially if 2 or more, we struggle.  Robertson, Tierney (even moreso imo), McGregor, McTominay, McGinn, Hickey.  Those 6 plus Gilmour (who is probably our biggest talent but less "essential" to us) need to be playing for us to be at our best.  You then have goalie plus 2 CHs, winger or CM, CF.  There are obvious choices among those, but that core 6 we struggle without.

McGregor is a bigger miss than people realise.  HIs exclusion against Czechia in the last Euros was a big reason we had such a pish tourny imo.  Huge misfire from Clarke that one.

Gundermann
11 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

He's shown very little in the 90mins he's had over last 2 games.  Only saving grace for him is nobody else looked anywhere near the standard either.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_KFi35PmTwQ0809wm3p1

GorgieFifeLife
32 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You mean like when Hearts play at Ibrox and Celtic Park with backs to the wall and 25% possession?  Yet he still manages to score regularly. 

To be honest though I wouldn’t like to see him play against Germany then miss out on the two winnable games because we inevitably get humped and create nothing.  Better the other way around - Dykes v Germany and becomes the fall guy then Shankland starting the other two. 

I just feel we would be better with pace on the break and someone who will run and run and press defenders.  

Robbo-Jambo
11 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

Absolute nonsense to say he showed very little.

He contributed a damn sight more than Dykes and Adams.

Att least he gets into goalscoring positions.

PapaShango
11 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

As others have said, he should be but he won't be. Nobody is convincing me that Lyndon Dykes is a better striker than Lawrence Shankland.

12 touches of the ball in 65 minutes and 0 shots. He's hopeless. I think he touched it once in the first half and he was offside! Shankland looked a threat when he came on, maybe trying a bit hard to impress but he gets into far better positions than any of the other strikers. 

TexasAndy
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Shankland is our best CF, and no matter our formation, needs to play.  If it's on up (it always is), it's Shanks, if it's 2 up, it's Shanks.  We need to play on the backfoot, Shanks, we need to create against a stuffy team, Shanks.  I don't mind Dykes, he's done a right good job for us.  Adams disappoints a little but he's willing and you feel has more in him.  But if that's our 3, it's Shanks all day.

As far as first name on team sheet.  We have a core and I'd say without any of these, and especially if 2 or more, we struggle.  Robertson, Tierney (even moreso imo), McGregor, McTominay, McGinn, Hickey.  Those 6 plus Gilmour (who is probably our biggest talent but less "essential" to us) need to be playing for us to be at our best.  You then have goalie plus 2 CHs, winger or CM, CF.  There are obvious choices among those, but that core 6 we struggle without.

McGregor is a bigger miss than people realise.  HIs exclusion against Czechia in the last Euros was a big reason we had such a pish tourny imo.  Huge misfire from Clarke that one.

It was noticeable how much Celtic missed him when we beat them at Tynecastle recently.

In the ten minutes Shanks was on he created two chances for himself.  What did Dykes do in the 70 mins he was on.  Also though Adams played well when came on.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The role of the Scotland striker is not an easy one the way we play. I wouldnt say any of the 3 are ideally suited to it, if any Adams is the one that is a bit of a buzzbomb. Its a Kenny Miller type, legs and able to play hard off the centre backs, pulling away, quite a difficult role, the expectation has been to stretch defences and create gaps rather than score

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

I just feel we would be better with pace on the break and someone who will run and run and press defenders.  

Dykes is likely the only player ahead of Shankland at the moment and he has no pace and doesn’t score goals so who is this player with pace you would play?  Adams doesn’t offer much either. 

If Shanks can score at Ibrox and Celtic Park when we hardly have the ball I’m not sure why you think that couldn’t work with Scotland too?

GorgieFifeLife
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Dykes is likely the only player ahead of Shankland at the moment and he has no pace and doesn’t score goals so who is this player with pace you would play?  Adams doesn’t offer much either. 

If Shanks can score at Ibrox and Celtic Park when we hardly have the ball I’m not sure why you think that couldn’t work with Scotland too?

Fairly sure Germany are several steps up in class than Rangers and Celtic.  They will get an easy time at the back if they only have Shankland to worry about.  He is a goal scorer no doubt but sometTimes you need someone to work the channels and press their defence.  Adam’s would probably be better at that, he is not great granted.  Not sure what other good Scottish forwards we have with pace.

GBJambo
6 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Fairly sure Germany are several steps up in class than Rangers and Celtic.  They will get an easy time at the back if they only have Shankland to worry about.  He is a goal scorer no doubt but sometTimes you need someone to work the channels and press their defence.  Adam’s would probably be better at that, he is not great granted.  Not sure what other good Scottish forwards we have with pace.

Shanks did that against Netherlands and he was more than able 

Three times you saw Shankland on the edge of the box, arm in air waiting for a cross.   Twice ball played across the midfield and the other was an overnight cross from Armstrong, still from nothing he managed to get into positions to get two chances.

GorgieFifeLife
4 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Shanks did that against Netherlands and he was more than able 

He cut down the angles but at no point was he in the faces of their defence as he doesn’t have the pace to do it.  He did what he did well however.  We will see but if he starts against Germany I think he will have a hard time making an impact.

RustyRightPeg
3 hours ago, RENE said:

In the ten minutes Shanks was on he created two chances for himself.  What did Dykes do in the 70 mins he was on.  Also though Adams played well when came on.

Dykes shouldn't be in any more squads. It's purely a loyalty thing. Ryan Hardie has done 2/3x more than him in the same league. I'd rather take a punt on someone like him than watch Dykes stand still doing very little.

17 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Given our fixture next month I hope Naismith watched N.Ireland's performance closely tonight because they did absolutely everything Hearts usually fail to do against Rangers at Hampden. It was like their World Cup Final and virtually every player won their individual battle. Wasn't pretty much of it but they battled and tackled and fought their way to a win that clearly meant a lot to them. There was never any chance they were turning up and having their belly tickled. I hope we go there and play aggressively and with concentration and desire like your mob managed tonight as it's our only chance of a positive result. 

The whole night felt very much like watching Hearts through in Glasgow. Sadly the referee will be a far bigger factor against Rangers than it was last night, otherwise I'd agree entirely about being aggressive. Think a couple of the stronger tackles (coupled with the VAR nonsense) would probably see some of our players in trouble.

We'll need a huge slice of luck but if we do win those battles, we've got a chance.

SE16 3LN

Shankland is the best Scottish Striker anywhere just now and should be the first choice striker in Germany. Dykes doesn't appear to be "on fire" at QPR right now but neither are QPR. He's done some great work for Scotland but Shanks is far better. Adams has been excellent in the Premiership and Championship in England and has things Shanks doesn't, but Shanks is a natural goal scorer  and in most games, that is what matters.

At least Nisbet isn't in the frame.

Uncle Buck
19 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Not a chance he's a starter.

I think he’s got a good chance.

Daveandal
19 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Not the first name on the team sheet, Gilmour is, probably followed by Hickey going on that Patterson showing. 

The only good thing to come out of last night is its clear Patterson isn't fit to tie Hickeys boots.

Fozzyonthefence
4 hours ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Fairly sure the Scotland midfield is several steps up in class from the Hearts midfield and the German defence will get an easier time if they only have Dykes or Adams to worry about.   Adams can run about more and is quicker but he’s not a goalscorer.  Shankland can get a goal out of nothing unlike those two. 

Your point about pace is reasonable but we don’t have anyone like that and you were suggesting that Shankland wouldn’t be effective in a backs against the wall type performance but as I pointed out he has already proved he can be plus there is much more quality playing behind him than he is used to at Hearts. 

mitch41
20 hours ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Shankland,  first name on that team sheet to start upfront in the Euros ? He's definitely a starter for me.

If Shanks played for anyone else he’d be first choice. No Scottish manager has ever survived by crossing the Weegie Press / TV and their bigoted pundits.

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, mitch41 said:

If Shanks played for anyone else he’d be first choice. No Scottish manager has ever survived by crossing the Weegie Press / TV and their bigoted pundits.

What’s that got to do with Dykes or Adams playing ahead of Shankland?  There’s no Scottish strikers playing with Rangers or Celtic so hardly any bias there.   Clarke has picked a fair number of players from provincial clubs and in his earlier days if he was showing any bias I’d say it was towards his ex Killie players rather than from the OF.  

3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

What’s that got to do with Dykes or Adams playing ahead of Shankland?  There’s no Scottish strikers playing with Rangers or Celtic so hardly any bias there.   Clarke has picked a fair number of players from provincial clubs and in his earlier days if he was showing any bias I’d say it was towards his ex Killie players rather than from the OF.  

Adams is a very good player and will be playing at the highest level of all our strikers next season.  He’s extremely important to a good Southampton side. 

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, May98 said:

Adams is a very good player and will be playing at the highest level of all our strikers next season.  He’s extremely important to a good Southampton side. 

Not sure what your reply was about as I was replying about a supposed Weegie bias but Adams isn’t that good to be honest and is a pretty poor finisher.  He’s dropped down a league this season but he’s still hardly pulling up trees and only scored 10 goals this season (and only 5 in 29 appearances for Scotland).  

I think Clarke has lost patience with Adams and he’s now 3rd choice out of the 3 striker’s currently in the squad.   Clarke prefers Dykes and when he needs a goal he turns to Shanks not Adams these days.  Also pretty telling that he was the only one out of the three who didn’t get a start over the 2 games. 

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

I think he’s got a good chance.

Why didnt he start last night then,as the most inform of our forwards? A win was pretty important even though it was a friendly after the run of results.

Hearts1975

100%. I've watched Dykes, Adams, shanks and brown. 

Everyone in the media are pouring over shanks missed chances (well, most are) but it's clear as day, when shanks plays, he is getting more chances - that isn't coincidence. 

He knows the positions to take up and he knows where he will get chances in and around the box and he creates them for himself. 

Dykes, Adams and brown just don't have that in each of their lockers. They have other attributes, but shanks will give us the biggest goal scoring threat, not just individually, but for the wider team, and out of all 3. 

That shouldn't and cannot be lost on Steve Clarke and if he didn't know this, he has to by now 

Fozzyonthefence
9 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Why didnt he start last night then,as the most inform of our forwards? A win was pretty important even though it was a friendly after the run of results.

Because he started on Friday and Dykes didn’t get any minutes on Friday.  A better question for me is why didn’t he come on before the 77th minute or whatever it was?  Better than the 5 minutes he usually gets I suppose but is Clarke expecting miracles with substations around the 80th / 85th minutes?  

Luckies1874
1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

Weird take. Most of the pundits want him in the team. 

BelgeJambo

A tournament to far for Clarke, not a chance he will start.  Sour faced erse can’t see the woods for the trees

Go for it 1308
24 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

A tournament to far for Clarke, not a chance he will start.  Sour faced erse can’t see the woods for the trees

Sadly...this

Jambo61
12 hours ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Who's that then?

feedthefox
4 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Because he started on Friday and Dykes didn’t get any minutes on Friday.  A better question for me is why didn’t he come on before the 77th minute or whatever it was?  Better than the 5 minutes he usually gets I suppose but is Clarke expecting miracles with substations around the 80th / 85th minutes?  

That reminds me of how Robbie used to make subs, 0-1 down at home with players blowing out their arse since 70th minute and he wouldn't change it till 85th minute.

GorgieFifeLife
9 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

Who's that then?

Adams in the current squad.  Players not in the squad who could give us more pace in forward areas would be Hardie, Armstrong, Wright and James Forrest.

Jambo61
1 hour ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Adams in the current squad.  Players not in the squad who could give us more pace in forward areas would be Hardie, Armstrong, Wright and James Forrest.

Think he relies on 'creative' midfielders and overlapping FB's........Patterson was shown up as naive in both games, not ready yet but I do like him. Need Hickey fit.  Every team needs pace...but strength is needed too! Hard to find.

ShortmanRossco
On 26/03/2024 at 22:24, Luckies1874 said:

:rofl:

Utter nonsense. Good rant though. 

You are truly clueless bud. 

I’m with you here. 

Easily in the top 3 meltdown posts I’ve ever seen on JKB and I’m not entirely sure what triggered it.

Mental.