Frankie Kent

We_are_the_Hearts

Sub4TiddlerMurray
2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Halkett won't be first pick when he's back. Let's be brutally honest, we can't trust his fitness and so it would be negligent on the clubs part not to bring a CB in to replace him, even if it's a loan. If he's fit, great lets see if he's back to his best. Until then, we operate on the basis he isn't fit.

Actually, if we're being really brutally honest, should we operate on the basis that he won’t be back at all?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• wavydavy

• soonbe110

• Threedoorsdown

HopeDiouf
4 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Actually, if we're being really brutally honest, should we operate on the basis that he won’t be back at all?

yes.  ditto boyce and tagawa.  Anything we get from them becomes a bonus.  But signings/squad planning should be done on the assumption that we get nothing from them.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
10 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

yes.  ditto boyce and tagawa.  Anything we get from them becomes a bonus.  But signings/squad planning should be done on the assumption that we get nothing from them.

Harsh on Tagawa but fair point re Boyce

HopeDiouf
7 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Harsh on Tagawa but fair point re Boyce

it's harsh on all 3, but we are not a charity.

Gorgierools
5 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

Where's that wummin with the magic stick, when you need her?

Last seen polishing Vlads torpedo

euan 10

Yeah I agree we really need Kent back for the next two game as next two games are huge. I hope Kent stays another year would like to see him and neilson as a partnership next season halkett as back up 

Lambert Simnel

Presumably everyone else has already seen the recent stat on BBC Sport regarding our defending set pieces: "Hearts haven't conceded a single goal from a corner this season, the only team in the Scottish Premiership to have achieved this with all others having let in at least four.  Their defending from crosses is also one of the best in the league, with only St Mirren letting in fewer goals from crosses."

Real credit to be given across the board for that, given we were a disaster zone against crosses last season, but I'm sure the main difference in Frankie Kent. I hope he's back soon, and (fingers crossed) is more tempted by playing in Europe than a possible wage bump to play in the second or third tier of English football.

20 minutes ago, Lambert Simnel said:

Presumably everyone else has already seen the recent stat on BBC Sport regarding our defending set pieces: "Hearts haven't conceded a single goal from a corner this season, the only team in the Scottish Premiership to have achieved this with all others having let in at least four.  Their defending from crosses is also one of the best in the league, with only St Mirren letting in fewer goals from crosses."

Real credit to be given across the board for that, given we were a disaster zone against crosses last season, but I'm sure the main difference in Frankie Kent. I hope he's back soon, and (fingers crossed) is more tempted by playing in Europe than a possible wage bump to play in the second or third tier of English football.

Still got the stat for the league, but Naismith left someone up at a corner v Spartans presumably in response to the Q&A where a fan complained to him about it. We immediately conceded :laugh: 

2 hours ago, May98 said:

Kents the defender we have been needing for years, since Berra was done. 

Berra was done while he was still here, if the truth be told. 

35 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Berra was done while he was still here, if the truth be told. 

First season he wasn't, he got injured and was never the same again. 

Bazzas right boot
12 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

That's a bit like describing Robbo and Shankland as 'poachers' who are 'just' goal scorers. If it was that simple lots of players would do it more.

Same with the aerial dominance and last-ditch defending that Kent does. There's nothing 'just' about that. He's immense. 

Nah.

He's a good stopper, but to go to bigger clubs you need to be a better footballer. 

I don't think bigger clubs will be after him.

17 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Yup, and I think he may well know he can play at our level for a few more years too.  Another good season and he gets another contract.  We never know what a guys personal situ is or what their agent is trying to drum up for Frankie feels very much like a boy who has found a good fit for himself at a late-ish point in his career - as I say probably one contract left in him at this level, his best bet is probably Hearts.

Rather than struggling to keep him, is Frankie captain material would be my question.

And also, yeah when he back!?!?!?!?!

New contract mid-season next year with offer of the armband in the summer. 

European football every year until retirement. 

Going nowhere. 

Hopefully back soon. The way this season is going, might not need him for the split. 

Shaggy2
12 hours ago, kila said:

Still got the stat for the league, but Naismith left someone up at a corner v Spartans presumably in response to the Q&A where a fan complained to him about it. We immediately conceded :laugh: 

Does that count? Corner was defended and it was a recycled (and mishit) cross from a defender who was offside? 
Has to go in the concedes from a cross stats box but not so sure about a corner…

15 hours ago, HopeDiouf said:

it's harsh on all 3, but we are not a charity.

Agreed.  Giving both Halkett and Boyce contract extensions was a big mistake.

Robbo-Jambo

A bit worrying no updates from Naismith about Kent 

Was only meant to be out a few weeks.

mitch41
On 26/03/2024 at 08:06, Threedoorsdown said:

We are going to really struggle to keep ahold of Kent I think. What a difference he’s made.

You really like to cheer us all up don’t you……………….

mitch41
3 hours ago, Yoda said:

100%

Thomaso
1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Well we all know at Hearts that means months! 😏

RustyRightPeg
6 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Does that count? Corner was defended and it was a recycled (and mishit) cross from a defender who was offside? 
Has to go in the concedes from a cross stats box but not so sure about a corner…

Well he was spare at the edge of the box 😂 I'll say it counts, purely because Naisy said he was gonna blame the boy for it if we conceded!! 

Shaggy2
2 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Well he was spare at the edge of the box 😂 I'll say it counts, purely because Naisy said he was gonna blame the boy for it if we conceded!! 

😂

Kent's our new Pressley. He'll be here until we don't want him, no danger we're selling him. 

4 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

He was out clubbing a week past Saturday, he was fine, no sign of injury.  

Edit: not clubbing, bar drinking late 

Edited by brux

RustyRightPeg
5 minutes ago, brux said:

He was out clubbing a week past Saturday, he was fine, no sign of injury.  

Edit: not clubbing, bar drinking late 

Seen him & a few others in Freddy's. Top man FK.

jimbojambo
20 hours ago, Lambert Simnel said:

One of the all time great put downs at the AGM when an unhappy fan moaned about all the team coming back for corners and didn't he want to think about changing it. Naisy stated that as we were the only team in the Premiership who hadn't conceded from a set piece no he didn't want to think about changing it. 

mscjambo
On 26/03/2024 at 08:10, kingantti1874 said:

Oh ffs. No we aren’t going to struggle to keep Kent. Hes 28 and we are by far and away the biggest club he’s played for.

he not a new kid on the block, plenty of teams in England offered him deals when he moved up here.

😆 🤣 

💥 have that

wavydavy
29 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Fit for the weekend 

Good news although I hope we are not rushing him back. Don't want any set backs with him. He is a really important player for us.

Bunny Munro
10 hours ago, Yoda said:

Boyces was triggered by playing a certain number of games, and in fairness, we were a far better team with him in at at the time. Whether we should have been relying on a 32 year old Liam Boyce early on in the season is a different story.

A 3 year deal for Halkett now looks like complete madness.

davemclaren
11 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

Boyces was triggered by playing a certain number of games, and in fairness, we were a far better team with him in at at the time. Whether we should have been relying on a 32 year old Liam Boyce early on in the season is a different story.

Not if he gets back to full fitness. Time will tell. 

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, Bunny Munro said:

Halkett’s contract is now to summer 2026, so a two year extension

gar jambo
On 26/03/2024 at 15:56, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Just get Halks fit for next season no rush with a good pre-season 

Thomaso
4 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Good news although I hope we are not rushing him back. Don't want any set backs with him. He is a really important player for us.

He certainly is Davy and we have a massive game on Saturday.

wavydavy
1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

He certainly is Davy and we have a massive game on Saturday.

👍

On 26/03/2024 at 12:48, Fozzyonthefence said:

Most players, given the choice between maybe doubling or tripling their wages or getting their arses felt 4-0 by a fairly average European team like PAOK are going to opt for the former.  And I can’t blame them, they’re only human and need to look out for their families, it’s a short career.   Champions League could be a game changer but that’s not happening.  

That might be true for most players but Kent openly stated he wanted a fresh challenge having spent his whole career in the championship/league 1/league 2, I'd wager that getting to play European group stage football next season appeals to him way more than a return to the English lower leagues. 

18 hours ago, Bunny Munro said:

Halkett is only 28/29 so if he can get back he's still got a few years left in him. Worth the gamble imo.

Boyce? I'd have let him go at the end of his last deal personally.

jamboinglasgow
2 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

great to hear. Having Kent and Nieuwenhof is great as they have been one of the first names on the team sheet. McKay once he is back to full fitness changes us as he adds a bit more creativity. With players coming back at the right time, it should hopefully put us in a strong position in the run in.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Halkett is only 28/29 so if he can get back he's still got a few years left in him. Worth the gamble imo.

Boyce? I'd have let him go at the end of his last deal personally.

I've said the same. When fit he's an absolute colossus and a huge leader at the back. Proper defender much like Kent and because of his age I'd say it's definitely worth the gamble. It could obviously go either way but injuries can happen to any player. Some players bounce back and I'm keeping the faith that Halkett will too.

52 minutes ago, Chimp said:

I've said the same. When fit he's an absolute colossus and a huge leader at the back. Proper defender much like Kent and because of his age I'd say it's definitely worth the gamble. It could obviously go either way but injuries can happen to any player. Some players bounce back and I'm keeping the faith that Halkett will too.

Yeh, really hope he comes back. I think he's a cracking player for us.

PapaShango
2 hours ago, Taffin said:

Yeh, really hope he comes back. I think he's a cracking player for us.

When fit he has been our best centre half over the last few years, missed him massively and hopefully he gets fit in time for Hampden. 

fabienleclerq

Halkett has tried to come back at least 3 times now, giving him a new contract wasn't great business. I'd be planning for being without him next season.

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Not Kent related but Hearts injury related

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liam-boyce-hands-hearts-injury-32464411

Boyce could be back before the end of the season, he is back training on grass.

If he quits the smoking he might even come back earlier.