squad for germany named

Charlie-Brown

Hearts squad for trip to Germany: Steve Banks, Jamie MacDonald, Lee Wallace, Christophe Berra, Christos Karipidis, Ruben Palazuelos, Saulius Mikoliunas, Larry Kingston, Andrew Driver, Christian Nade, Juho Makela, Deividas Cesnauskis, Jamie Mole, Eggert Jonsson, Michael Stewart, Marius Zaliukas, Kestutis Ivaskevicius, Audrius Ksanavicius, Ryan McGowan, David Templeton, Matej Rapnik, Gary Glen, Jonathan Brown, Steven Husband.

Interesting to note the likes of matty doherty, lithgow, pelosi, armstrongs, mclaughlin etc nowhere to be seen.

No Basso or Elliot either

No Basso, Screpis or Elliot.

Good start.

Very positive.... wondered how far he would go thru with the clearing out, but looks as if he's got the right idea, I did rate Screpis, well thought he wasnt bad but we need to offload some midfielders.

We're always going to have the best of Kaunas here so we need to get used to that, hopefully Shabba isnt held to playing them tho.

5 liths in a 25 man squad.... I make that 20%.

Quite pleased with that.... obviously we need to make signings but glad with the mix and the players that are here that are going over. if that makes sense.

Its just a provisional squad and subject to change

Good to see Makela in there. Hopefully McDonalds is too far away from the camp for Nade and he actually gets some fitness in him

Very positive.... wondered how far he would go thru with the clearing out, but looks as if he's got the right idea, I did rate Screpis, well thought he wasnt bad but we need to offload some midfielders.

We're always going to have the best of Kaunas here so we need to get used to that, hopefully Shabba isnt held to playing them tho.

TBH, Basso and Screpis could give something to the squad, and we already knew that Elliot is away on loan!

Is this good news that the three useless Lithuanians are still there and some of the better squad players are being booted?

Aye really clearing out, funnily enough two of our biggest underachievers are still there, coincidence they just happen to be lithuanian?

TBH, Basso and Screpis could give something to the squad, and we already knew that Elliot is away on loan!

Is this good news that the three useless Lithuanians are still there and some of the better squad players are being booted?

No but I think we need to expect 5 liths in a 25 man squad... it is 20 - 80 % isnt it.

Aye really clearing out, funnily enough two of our biggest underachievers are still there, coincidence they just happen to be lithuanian?

Wait till the minibus arrives from Lithuania in Germany this year

LarrysRightFoot

I think Basso will be on his way out after his contract demands.

Elliot is probably going to Inverness on loan.

Screpis is probably on his way out.

Robbie? How bad is his injury?

But why oh why are Ivaskevicius and Ksanavicius travelling??

I would have liked to have seen Copil and Branny go but you cant take everyone.

Hearts squad for trip to Germany: Steve Banks, Jamie MacDonald, Lee Wallace, Christophe Berra, Christos Karipidis, Ruben Palazuelos, Saulius Mikoliunas, Larry Kingston, Andrew Driver, Christian Nade, Juho Makela, Deividas Cesnauskis, Jamie Mole, Eggert Jonsson, Michael Stewart, Marius Zaliukas, Kestutis Ivaskevicius, Audrius Ksanavicius, Ryan McGowan, David Templeton, Matej Rapnik, Gary Glen, Jonathan Brown, Steven Husband.

:sad:

DC,

Did you just cut and paste that from the Official Site? If so, would it be very anal of me to suggest that the order of the players is interesting?

The youngsters are last, the two goalkeepers are first and then the remainder of the first team squad follows. Zaliukas, Ivaskevicius and Ksanavicius "bringing up the rear".

Am I clutching at straws, but are they "reserves"? If I am not seeing things, then Mikoliunas and Cesnauskis would be first team squad members, which I would have no problem with and the three rubbish ones are reserves.

THAT would be a step in the right direction IMO.

I think Basso will be on his way out after his contract demands.

Elliot is probably going to Inverness on loan.

Screpis is probably on his way out.

Robbie? How bad is his injury?

But why oh why are Ivaskevicius and Ksanavicius travelling??

I would have liked to have seen Copil and Branny go but you cant take everyone.

Brannys still with his national side, isnt he?

Brannys still with his national side, isnt he?

I believe he's in the U19 Bulgaria squad in the Euros

could be wrong

garethjambo

It seems that Makela has been banging them in for HJK Helsinki, he is also top of the assists list for the club. Surely he is a good player he seems to score goals everywhere he goes, and I think he really needs a chance this season. Could be his year......

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fi&u=http://www.hjk.fi/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhjk%2Bhelsinki%26hl%3Den

Dirk Diggler
DC,

Did you just cut and paste that from the Official Site? If so, would it be very anal of me to suggest that the order of the players is interesting?

The youngsters are last, the two goalkeepers are first and then the remainder of the first team squad follows. Zaliukas, Ivaskevicius and Ksanavicius "bringing up the rear".

Am I clutching at straws, but are they "reserves"? If I am not seeing things, then Mikoliunas and Cesnauskis would be first team squad members, which I would have no problem with and the three rubbish ones are reserves.

THAT would be a step in the right direction IMO.

I see what you are saying and it does indeed look like that could be a possibility.

However, my immediate thought after reading your post was that of Pospisil getting the Number 9 shirt last year...............

It seems that Makela has been banging them in for HJK Helsinki, he is also top of the assists list for the club. Surely he is a good player he seems to score goals everywhere he goes, and I think he really needs a chance this season. Could be his year......

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fi&u=http://www.hjk.fi/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhjk%2Bhelsinki%26hl%3Den

Sure Csaba will soon find out. When did Mak return? Or should I say when was the 'return of the Mak'.

garethjambo

Oh by the way he has scored 6 goals in 12 appearances for HJK and also has 3 assists to his name.

garethjambo
Sure Csaba will soon find out. When did Mak return? Or should I say when was the 'return of the Mak'.

He is in the provisional squad for Germany.

Gigolo-Aunt

Would have been staggered if Copil had been rewarded with going awol with a call up to the Germany squad.

Our very own Michael Palin may have bucked up his ideas since coming back, think he will need to prove it a little longer though before being called up for the "A" squad.

He is in the provisional squad for Germany.

Understand that but was wondering when he arrived back.

Would have been staggered if Copil had been rewarded with going awol with a call up to the Germany squad.

Our very own Michael Palin may have bucked up his ideas since coming back, think he will need to prove it a little longer though before being called up for the "A" squad.

Having said that, the hard line approach has hardly worked so far. Some players react differently to a hard line. I would have taken him, gave him a chance alongside his team mates Husband etc, and see how he matched up. Would not have done any harm IMO.

Having said that, the hard line approach has hardly worked so far. Some players react differently to a hard line. I would have taken him, gave him a chance alongside his team mates Husband etc, and see how he matched up. Would not have done any harm IMO.

Possibly breed contempt.

Charlie-Brown

Copil hasn't done anything to deserve to be taken to Germany, neither has Kostadinov and unless they up their game considerably then there are other kids ahead of them in the queue pushing for first team opportunities.

Gigolo-Aunt

For sure. Don't see the example it would have set though to the other young players that going MIA and spitting the dummy out gets rewarded with being promoted to the "A" squad.

Possibly breed contempt.

Then he would be out for good and we would not waste any further time on him.

For sure. Don't see the example it would have set though to the other young players that going MIA and spitting the dummy out gets rewarded with being promoted to the "A" squad.

If he were the only youngster taken I would agree with that. Given that we are taking along McGowan, Husband, Templeton and Rapnik I would not see that as being the case.

Possibly breed contempt.

Exactly

We need to fulfil as much of the potential as possible, not that of just one player

What sort of example does it set to our other 20 odd youth players if a player they have outperformed gets to go simply because he threw a hissy fit

Clarkserino

I suspect that Bruno, Beslija and Robbie's injuries are such that they are staying back here doing some rehab. Otherwise they would have travelled.

Feel sorry for Jason Thomson, deserved a proper pre-season trip to solidify his position in Robbie's absence. Good to see Johnny Brown getting the nod though, hope he gets a chance at RB.

Very positive about the inclusion of Husband and Templeton. Screpis and Elliot are obviously bye bye.

Neither Banks or MacDonald are good enough to be number one for the season ahead. Clearing out Basso is a start but we now need to find a genuine number one.

Lee Wallace has simply stagnated over the past season and I think he has now hit the best we can hope for from him. He isn't good enough defensively to be a left back and he isn't quick or creative enough to be a left midfielder. Time to get rid.

Cesnauskas, Mole, Zaliukas, Ivaskevicius, Ksnavicius are all woeful and should be dumped as quickly as possible along with Elliot, Nade, Stewart and Neilson.

The rest of the younger players I cannot comment on having only seen McGowan against Dunfermline (where he looked well short of the standard required to be a regular first team player) and Glen is still not ready to be a "lone" striker...and never will be; we need to find him a partner (in the playing sense) and see if he can fulfill his potential.

Hope he does get a chance , some on here have made up their minds about Makela, shame he's never had a proper chance, then we can decide if he's really pash or not, can't be any worse than Nade, Ksanavicius, Mole and Elliot......or a few more in fact!

Possibly breed contempt.

Hope he does get a chance , some on here have made up their minds about Makela, shame he's never had a proper chance, then we can decide if he's really pash or not, can't be any worse than Nade, Ksanavicius, Mole and Elliot......or a few more in fact!

Id like to see us run with makela over 10-15 games, for me he is kris boyd type player who might not do much but will always score a few goals, pretty much what we have been crying out for.

The People's Chimp

Indeed. It's a complete farce to talk about a clear out while that horrific non entity 28 is even remotely near anything HMFC.

Screpis looks twice the player he is and he looks to be on his way out. Yet another player treated with nothing but contempt by the regime.

Good times, move along now, nothing to see here.

Gigolo-Aunt
If he were the only youngster taken I would agree with that. Given that we are taking along McGowan, Husband, Templeton and Rapnik I would not see that as being the case.

The other 4 you metion have worked hard to earn their chance. That's the difference mate.

There is a hell of a lot of more younger players who have worked hard but have not been called up. They would quite rightly look upon a Copil call up as a showing that hard work counts for nothing.

Copil going to Germany should be a reward for hard work and nothing less.

Id like to see us run with makela over 10-15 games, for me he is kris boyd type player who might not do much but will always score a few goals, pretty much what we have been crying out for.

He should be given his chance, he's scored around 90 goals in 150-odd appearances (5 goals for Hearts in about 16 appearances, mostly as sub) throughout his career, not too bad a return.

Charlie-Brown

Makela needs to add a lot more to his game than simply a decent goal ratio - our forward play has been limited enough but without someone to make decent runs and provide good hold up & linking play then we won't be able to create enough good attacks for Makela or anyone else to score unless we rely on set-pieces.

Gigolo-Aunt
Makela needs to add a lot more to his game than simply a decent goal ratio - our forward play has been limited enough but without someone to make decent runs and provide good hold up & linking play then we won't be able to create enough good attacks for Makela or anyone else to score unless we rely on set-pieces.

You could argue that the right partner for Juho would compinsate (sp) for his limited game.

Juho is not a very pleasing player on the eye, but he does seem to have something that is very hard to teach players - that ability to be in the right place at the right time in the box.

I rememeber reading an interview with the scout at Rangers who was sent out to Italy to watch Marco Negri in action. The report was along the likes of...

If you want someone to link the play, he is not your man

If you want someone to hold the ball up to let the team move forward up the park, he is not your man.

If you want someone to chase defenders about, he is not your man.

He said he was actually questioning after 60 mins why he was sent to watch him.

Then BOOM - decent ball in the box and its a goal.

If you want someone who can go through a game and hardly touch the ball, then take a chance out of nothing - he is your man - he comes alive in the box.

Charlie-Brown
You could argue that the right partner for Juho would compinsate (sp) for his limited game.

Juho is not a very pleasing player on the eye, but he does seem to have something that is very hard to teach players - that ability to be in the right place at the right time in the box.

I rememeber reading an interview with the scout at Rangers who was sent out to Italy to watch Marco Negri in action. The report was along the likes of...

If you want someone to link the play, he is not your man

If you want someone to hold the ball up to let the team move forward up the park, he is not your man.

If you want someone to chase defenders about, he is not your man.

He said he was actually questioning after 60 mins why he was sent to watch him.

Then BOOM - decent ball in the box and its a goal.

If you want someone who can go through a game and hardly touch the ball, then take a chance out of nothing - he is your man - he comes alive in the box.

But Makela isn't a Robbo or Negri or even a Velicka...........

Archived