Ricardo Quaresma
11 hours ago, merrymac said:

Check the posted images👍

👍

Sarah O
1 hour ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Are there really Scottish people on here that wanted Norn to win? :lol:

Take yourself TF :rofl:

Nah mate we uhr Britiush ken and the war and that eh. Tartan Army Ur a disgrace, disrespektin there king and anthem like. 

Edited by Sarah O
Spelling error :)

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Adams & Dykes maybe are weak pegs. They’ve been ok but nothing special. 
I was thinking at back the young lad David Watson from Killie or Liam Morrison who plays in Germany I think. Been watching the young team  playing on Scotland National team. Gives you dibs on the upcoming talent around Scotland. I still think wee McCowan should get a game as well. He’s like a wee Gordon Strachan type player. 

Our defence were having a tea break when the irish scored.

Fozzyonthefence
21 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Our defence were having a tea break when the irish scored.

Patterson certainly was.

TallPaul

Well done to the Tartan Army on winning at booing anthems. Team embarrassed by a bunch of kids and out sung by 2000 NI Fans.

TexasAndy

The away support had a good night last night.  I trust they found their way back to Govan OK.

hmfc_liam06
10 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Feel sorry for Patterson. Sitting behind Ashley Young and Seamus Coleman can’t be good for his confidence and it showed tonight. Could tell after an hour he was second guessing himself and that’s not how you should play, it should be instinctive. He looked short of match fitness too. Should’ve been taken out the firing line. 

Thing with Clarke is he’s stubborn with his selections and shape as we all know. Christie has been playing as a sitting midfielder for Bournemouth and doing it extremely well. Where does Clarke play him? Off the left of a midfield 3. He should’ve been deeper beside Gilmour. 

Ferguson should also be a nailed on starter due to his club performances. 

We need to ditch the 5 at the back to get our best players on the pitch. At the moment that isn’t Tierney and Robertson like it previously was, it’s our midfield that’s our strength. 

He needs to learn from tonight and adapt going forward. 

He won't thought because as you say, he's stubborn. 

You only need to look at the makeup of the squad to see he's no plan B. Not a single wide player in there. So when he was forced into changing shape (he's probably traumatised by that) he had to play 5 CM's in the midfield. 

He's backed himself into a corner with this set up, and you only need to see the effect that losing a couple of key players to that system has. 

leipzig76

That's the first time in ages I've sat down to watch a Scotland game -Jeez ! I thought we were stinkin ! I wasn't expecting us to be so bad !

hmfc_liam06

Re Gordon - Clarke has a history of playing players who don't get a game at club level, so why should Gordon be any different? He's our best keeper by a distance, he should be starting for Scotland.

Fozzyonthefence
12 hours ago, dannymack said:

What's even more classless is that some of that lot have responded with "Are you Rangers in disguise" .

They certainly know how to alienate and divide their fellow Scotsmen and Scotswomen. 

How is that classless?  If you sound like a Hun, look like a Hun ……….

Not sure why that would upset a Hearts fan though?🤔

Fozzyonthefence
13 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You only need to look at the makeup of the squad to see he's no plan B. Not a single wide player in there. So when he was forced into changing shape (he's probably traumatised by that) he had to play 5 CM's in the midfield. 

He's backed himself into a corner with this set up, and you only need to see the effect that losing a couple of key players to that system has. 

Yep, not a single winger in a 25 / 26 man squad.  

manaliveits105

You should never boo your country or your club - hopefully Clarke will know his best team now all being fit 

With many of the TA it's more about look at me am here in ma kilt pipers jacket and big feather - ahve given up ma time and money to be here and am no happy - boooooo ! 
back to the pub to dance with each other and play the speccy twins on repeat 

manaliveits105

Double post

Edited by manaliveits105
Double post

manaliveits105

Double post 

Edited by manaliveits105
Multiple post

manaliveits105

Double post

Edited by manaliveits105
Multiple post

Ex member of the SaS

Once again we see the folly of tippy tappy round the backs, we wasted more than 5 or 6 passes to get to the half way line and whoever thought this was the way to play football need certified. Watching that game was like watching Hearts with slow play and taking too long at throw in's.

11 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Nah, that goal was 100% responsibility of Patterson. Horrendous touch to lose ball then worse attempt to try some trick when putting ball out of park was answer.

19 goals in 7 games we have conceded. Wtf are these guys doing in training cause they've learned nothing from last games.

Oh he was terrible at the goal but watch it again. The replays might not show it but Gunns woeful kick out started it all. 

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, DS98 said:

Oh he was terrible at the goal but watch it again. The replays might not show it but Gunns woeful kick out started it all. 

It was Patterson’s first touch which was like a shot that started it all.  There wasn’t any danger until he gave it away.  He actually did well to win it back then made another James Hunt of it.   All downhill thereafter and it was a horror show from him.  Clarke keeping him on for 90 minutes has probably destroyed the boy’s confidence.  It’s a real problem position if Hickey doesn’t make it with the two alternatives not playing first team football as well as being a bit pish. 

This is going to be like last time, isn't it?

Put in all the hard work to qualify then absolutely shite it in the finals and come out a laughing stock.

:seething:

buzzbomb1958
5 minutes ago, Cade said:

Put in all the hard work to qualify then absolutely shite it in the finals and come out a laughing stock.

Yep we will be shown up at a tournament again , New manager after then rinse and repeat

Tommy Brown
8 minutes ago, Cade said:

Along the lines of how I feel.

Some - "Dykes helped get us there, deserves to play in Germany"

Me - "No, he is an empty jersey and will be playing against better opposition (other than Spain)"

highlandjambo3

What national anthem were rangers fans singing last night 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Watching last night, one thing we are lacking creativity. Its a bit like watching Hearts this season (though we have learnt to break down teams playing like Northern Ireland but it can be tough) that lack of a player who can open things up and try different passes to get through the lines hampers us.

The formation and style yesterday was not set up to face it. It was set up to do the same and no real change till too late.

upgotheheads
1 hour ago, DS98 said:

That was what I was thinking, he was slow to clear the ball and then made a poor clearance which meant the ball came right back at us. Patterson was there because we had no other options, and there has been a suggestion that Clarke was trying to get him the game time that he's being denied at his club, that's not how it should work. God help us if Hickey isn't fit.

upgotheheads

Being optimistic I think that Clarke has already made his mind up that Shanks is going to Germany, and he wanted to give Dykes and Adams a chance. Dykes was hopeless against that packed defence and Adams never got into the game when he came on. On the other hand, in the few minutes he was given last night Shanks was denied by a block on the line and got a decent header away under pressure from the goalie.

In Friday's game, Shanks was our most effective forward and was unlucky not to get a goal. Overall if LS doesn't get the nod ahead of  Adams then there is something wrong with Clarke's thinking, and I don't think there is.

Cruickie's Moustache

Watching Germany v France the other night I think we will be lucky if we get a kick at the ball in the opener.

On that basis we need someone up front who can perhaps tuck away what limited chances we will get.

That's not Dykes or Adams.

On 23/03/2024 at 19:50, Morgan said:

We’ll struggle to beat Northern Ireland, imo.

:greggy:

On 23/03/2024 at 20:53, May98 said:

We will win two or three.  Shankland needs a goal for me for a chance to start in Germany.  That’s if he starts against the norn. 

Oooops!

😎

Thomaso
13 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

Strange time in the season for friendlies, not surprised the intensity wasn't there.

This double header could be a blessing in disguise for the euros, but Clarke is a stubborn bloke so I'm sure we'll watch Dykes and McLean for many years to come.

As I said before, the more pundits tell him to start with Shankland he will adopt a “feck you” stance!

Thomaso
2 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

It was Patterson’s first touch which was like a shot that started it all.  There wasn’t any danger until he gave it away.  He actually did well to win it back then made another James Hunt of it.   All downhill thereafter and it was a horror show from him.  Clarke keeping him on for 90 minutes has probably destroyed the boy’s confidence.  It’s a real problem position if Hickey doesn’t make it with the two alternatives not playing first team football as well as being a bit pish. 

Patterson’s second touch was a tackle!

JDK2020
14 hours ago, dannymack said:

Congratulations to our brethren over the water for going 0-1 up 👍👏

Screenshot_20220519-151603_Instagram.jpg

Glory hunters  😁

VALDOS'
13 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

At most one of those players (Dykes or Adams) start in Munich so therefore it's all a bit of a drama over nothing.

It's not a drama to voice opinion on players that need moved on, Dykes has been a very good servant for Scotland, I've fought his corner before, but his time is up. The others mentioned, still waiting for them to have a good game.

Without McGregor that’s Scotland team is a bit like us without Shankland. He makes the whole system work. They go on about McGinn and McTominay but those two aren’t anything like as effective without McGregor holding it together. 

As I said in the Shankland thread with McGregor, Shanks gets more chances and will score goals as he’ll have more Midfield support around him.

For the Euros we need McGregor and Hickey fit and now Robertson. We don’t have the depth to be missing these players. 

Clarkes style works with the best players fit but there doesn’t seem to be many ideas when they’re not.

Super_Hans
9 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Without McGregor that’s Scotland team is a bit like us without Shankland. He makes the whole system work. They go on about McGinn and McTominay but those two aren’t anything like as effective without McGregor holding it together. 

As I said in the Shankland thread with McGregor, Shanks gets more chances and will score goals as he’ll have more Midfield support around him.

For the Euros we need McGregor and Hickey fit and now Robertson. We don’t have the depth to be missing these players. 

Clarkes style works with the best players fit but there doesn’t seem to be many ideas when they’re not.

Agree with this yet you had Tom English before the game last night saying that out of the six midfielders in the squad, he'd rank McGregor sixth. Absolutely clueless. 

McGregor is twice the player Christie is and if fit will start alongside Gilmour at the base of our midfield.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

I don't pay too much attention to scotland friendlies. 

Scots players have always had a motivational issue turning up to play for scotland in friendlies down the years.

Friendlies always bring that into sharp focus as the players just dont turn up. 

I thought the nations league had done away with friendlies anyway so disappointed to see their return as they're a dangerous waste of time. 

As evidenced yesterday, northern Ireland were out to break legs. 

55 minutes ago, Super_Hans said:

Agree with this yet you had Tom English before the game last night saying that out of the six midfielders in the squad, he'd rank McGregor sixth. Absolutely clueless. 

McGregor is twice the player Christie is and if fit will start alongside Gilmour at the base of our midfield.

He’s massively underrated by the Scottish press which is strange given he’s Celtic captain, IMO it’s the EPL bias if you play there you’re a world beater according to them. I heard them say something like we have 7 EPL players NI only have one that’s the gulf in class, well clearly not on last nights showing. 

JDK2020
13 minutes ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

I don't pay too much attention to scotland friendlies. 

Scots players have always had a motivational issue turning up to play for scotland in friendlies down the years.

Friendlies always bring that into sharp focus as the players just dont turn up. 

I thought the nations league had done away with friendlies anyway so disappointed to see their return as they're a dangerous waste of time. 

As evidenced yesterday, northern Ireland were out to break legs. 

Gracious in defeat, eh? 🤣

Stevie Clarke has done an unbelievable job but there's no plan B. Both Michael O'Neills and Clarke were right in their interviews. Scotland aren't a top tier nation so we are set up for the counter attack. When we play sides like N.Ireland we need to play a different way. We need wingers and #10's. 

As O'Neil said, when we play better sides this system works for us, we are usually shit hot in transition so we're happy to allow other sides to have possession. Only issue now is that our previously sound defence is all over the shop. Probably missing Hanleys experience and leadership tbf because we're no getting that from Porteous, Hendry or Souttar. Probably need Hanley or McKenna in there. 

But Stevie Clarke is right to be confident that we will come good again. He knows the group, there's some really top class players in the team. Probably missing McGregor tbh, another leader and a calm head. 

I'm no bothering about results in friendlies. Yeah, we've not hit the levels we know we're capable of. 60mins v Holland we were very very good but the defence is a worry and the lack of any depth is a worry but there's no much we can do about that. 

It is about peaking in time for the Euros. Our key players are probably protecting themselves a wee bit as well because they're at clubs fighting for Champions League and Titles. So I kinda get it and I'm sure the boys will be looking to make a menze come the summer. 

waterboy11
15 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

In isolation I totally agree with your thoughts on this but Gordon isn't starting for Hearts so really it's being taken out of Clarke's hands. I'm actually surprised Gordon has been content to sit back and let this happen as he is clearly superior to Zander. His presence even in some easy Scottish Cup games is obvious. He has a size and aura which none of these other 3 do but he's not playing and it's killed any chance he had of getting the gloves for Scotland. I think he'll be the No2 in the summer and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play for us post split as well as in the semi-final but I think the ship has sailed in respect to him starting in Germany. 

On the inside he will 100% be desperate to be playing. However, with his age and experience he is being a model pro and (club) captain. He's been injured and his understudy has been performing well. He knows he can't just expect to walk back in. He's also the type of guy whose probably delighted at how well Clark is doing (goalies are a different breed and more often than not stick together a lot more)

I think if we get 3rd sewn up - he'll get the remaining league games which might boost him to number 1 for the Euros.

56 minutes ago, JDK2020 said:

Gracious in defeat, eh? 🤣

He’s correct though.

Eh?

8 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

The away support had a good night last night.  I trust they found their way back to Govan OK.

Pretty uneventful journey back to Edinburgh tbf.

hmfc_liam06
8 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Watching last night, one thing we are lacking creativity. Its a bit like watching Hearts this season (though we have learnt to break down teams playing like Northern Ireland but it can be tough) that lack of a player who can open things up and try different passes to get through the lines hampers us.

The formation and style yesterday was not set up to face it. It was set up to do the same and no real change till too late.

It goes back to a plan B, or lack of.

Even his subs were, and usually are, like for like.

hmfc_liam06
4 hours ago, Rudy T said:

He’s massively underrated by the Scottish press which is strange given he’s Celtic captain, IMO it’s the EPL bias if you play there you’re a world beater according to them. I heard them say something like we have 7 EPL players NI only have one that’s the gulf in class, well clearly not on last nights showing. 

Even their EPL player is a youth breaking through at Liverpool. Quite honestly I'd expect Hearts to get a result against that Northern Ireland side. Their striker plays for Stevenage ffs :lol:

Fozzyonthefence
4 hours ago, waterboy11 said:

On the inside he will 100% be desperate to be playing. However, with his age and experience he is being a model pro and (club) captain. He's been injured and his understudy has been performing well. He knows he can't just expect to walk back in. He's also the type of guy whose probably delighted at how well Clark is doing (goalies are a different breed and more often than not stick together a lot more)

I think if we get 3rd sewn up - he'll get the remaining league games which might boost him to number 1 for the Euros.

Why would Clark get dropped when 3rd is sewn up?

And barring injury there is no chance that Gunn won’t be no.1 at the Euros. 

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Even their EPL player is a youth breaking through at Liverpool. Quite honestly I'd expect Hearts to get a result against that Northern Ireland side. Their striker plays for Stevenage ffs :lol:

Even the Irish expected a pumping!

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Stevie Clarke has done an unbelievable job but there's no plan B. Both Michael O'Neills and Clarke were right in their interviews. Scotland aren't a top tier nation so we are set up for the counter attack. When we play sides like N.Ireland we need to play a different way. We need wingers and #10's. 

As O'Neil said, when we play better sides this system works for us, we are usually shit hot in transition so we're happy to allow other sides to have possession. Only issue now is that our previously sound defence is all over the shop. Probably missing Hanleys experience and leadership tbf because we're no getting that from Porteous, Hendry or Souttar. Probably need Hanley or McKenna in there. 

But Stevie Clarke is right to be confident that we will come good again. He knows the group, there's some really top class players in the team. Probably missing McGregor tbh, another leader and a calm head. 

I'm no bothering about results in friendlies. Yeah, we've not hit the levels we know we're capable of. 60mins v Holland we were very very good but the defence is a worry and the lack of any depth is a worry but there's no much we can do about that. 

It is about peaking in time for the Euros. Our key players are probably protecting themselves a wee bit as well because they're at clubs fighting for Champions League and Titles. So I kinda get it and I'm sure the boys will be looking to make a menze come the summer. 

Fair, Clarke reminds if of C Brown a bit.

He also had a good record,  but refused to try different things v different types of teams, even in friendlies.

I remember him recalling a veteran Pat Nevin back in the squad rather than experimenting with other options.

Tragic.

Seaside Dave
4 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Even the Irish expected a pumping!

Off Scotland ? Nah mate. Stroll in the park it was. Beating the nation of booooooooooo

Ricardo Quaresma
13 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Along the lines of how I feel.

Some - "Dykes helped get us there, deserves to play in Germany"

Me - "No, he is an empty jersey and will be playing against better opposition (other than Spain)"

If it's predictable that a player's getting picked (and it is) then why bother trying hard for club and country?

Clearly based on trust that players will focus and stay determined and hungry to win, but clearly, some have totally abused that trust

Last night, also, was a mish-mash of players thrown together to evaluate individuals, I'm not sure how much of a care there was to actually win, despite it being 6 games since beating cyprus away; we have 2 friendlies left to repair morale and confidence

I got the feeling since we went 3 up in cyprus that somehow we should be grateful that we're going to the Euros and not a toss is given about what happened after that moment; absolutely nothing is, or can rightfully be expected in this Tournament

gregzy2k7

Clarke has done an amazing job imo,

You can only piss with the 🐓 you have got,

The fact is Scotland are good in midfield and with the wingbacks, but they lack good defenders and a good enough front line (Shanks aside) so will not progress much further until that is rectified imo.

At least they qualifying for tournaments now,

I don't expect us to get out the group tbh, it's not impossible but Scotland are just lacking in certain areas of the park.

JDK2020
21 hours ago, Morgan said:

He’s correct though.

Eh?

Bollox, Scotland went out looking for a wee kickabout to get them back on track, and NI would be nothing more than whipping boys in the process.

However, the NI team is full of young guys hoping to make a name for themselves.
The booing of their anthem probably only served to make them even more determined to put up a fight.

And what about potato head McGinn diving all over the shop, not the behaviour one would expect from a seasoned internationalist in a friendly.

Scotland got what they deserved and need to man up for the test ahead in the summer.