Scotland Euro Friendlies

Mikey1874

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

One group I am amazed has not been criticised more is the SFA. This run of games has had us playing a lot of top teams in friendlies in this bad run, destroying the momentum we had before. In international football, while its important to play a top team every so often, you get equal or lesser teams to build up the feel good factor by winning. We should have run today but its now a bad loss after many sore losses.

The SFA wanted the glamour and missed the important thing which is Scotland doing well.

If you are expecting common sense from SFA, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Games at home to England and away to France were mistakes but the jackets saw publicity and chance of mixing with big boys.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Luckies1874

• Mikey1874

• Hearts007

• tian447

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JudyJudyJudy

I agree with what James McFadden was saying. 

Nelly Terraces
2 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Grateful for what he’s done but another more forward thinking manager gets so much more out that squad. 

Picking the right players for a start. 

Cooper, McLean, Kelly, Ralston, Taylor nowhere near the squad. 

The lack of fresh blood and reliance on loyalty is killing us. 

He’s Scotlands Gareth Southgate. His plans are now in tatters & I don’t think he knows his best 11 or what formation they should set up in. The team selection was baffling tonight. 

StirlingJambo
5 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Grateful for what he’s done but another more forward thinking manager gets so much more out that squad. 

Picking the right players for a start. 

Cooper, McLean, Kelly, Ralston, Taylor nowhere near the squad. 

The lack of fresh blood and reliance on loyalty is killing us. 

Spot on! Stuck in his ways and will never change.

Hagar the Horrible
2 minutes ago, Darth Sidious said:

Wales game going to extra time on S4C

Naw it's some team called Cym against PWYL and a commentary in phlem

RustyRightPeg

By the way, how many games have the group won since Naismith stopped linking up with them? Probably not many. 

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

It was NI we played tonight. 

It was. But a Scotland team in form and in good spirits would have won this, instead they came into this match on the back of many heavy defeats and lacking scoring, with the expectation that they win this. But Northern Ireland played defensively strong which built pressure on the players, meaning the fans are even more anxious which meant more pressure.

Hagar the Horrible
Just now, Nelly Terraces said:

He’s Scotlands Gareth Southgate. His plans are now in tatters & I don’t think he knows his best 11 or what formation they should set up in. The team selection was baffling tonight. 

He plays his favourite 11 not his best 11

Spellczech

Sutherland wants to deny the few chances we had because they were not taken, then someone in his ear says, "Look for bright spots"

Edited by Spellczech

joondalupjambo

McFadden far too sensible for that Muppet Jonathon what's his name. 

JDK2020
38 minutes ago, Australis said:

McGinn lucky not to be booked for diving.

He was at it the whole game, and not terribly convincing either.

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, DS98 said:

Had another big hand in the goal tonight too. Patterson will be the fall guy but it was another dog shit clearance from

him that put us under pressure. 

Nah, that goal was 100% responsibility of Patterson. Horrendous touch to lose ball then worse attempt to try some trick when putting ball out of park was answer.

19 goals in 7 games we have conceded. Wtf are these guys doing in training cause they've learned nothing from last games.

Luckies1874
9 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Dykes and Adams did nothing. Shanks had two half chances but didn’t score don’t know if that goes for him or against him.

I would say that other than Gilmour's 70 minutes on Friday where he was exceptional against a Dutch side nobody did more than Shanks in respect to forcing Clarke's hand and we already knew how good that kid was. Shankland is now very much in the conversation for starting against Germany, not just being on the plane. I think he's ahead of Adams and the only reason Dykes starts is due to tactics in a certain game. Hearts fans can moan and greet about him not starting tonight but it was obvious he wouldn't. He was picked on Friday in the bigger game and as Clarke has voiced he did very well. It's a pity he missed the big opportunity but his overall contribution was excellent as it was in the 15 mins tonight, despite again being a bit unlucky. 

If he remains fit he is 100% one of the 23. If he continues to score for Hearts, good news for us, he may well be in the starting lineup in Munich. 

Edited by Luckies1874

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

By the way, how many games have the group won since Naismith stopped linking up with them? Probably not many. 

That thought had crossed my mind, I think Naismith is very good at getting the right attitude into players, something they lack here.

Though to be fair to Clark, I think losing Hickey was a massive blow for Scotland. Without him we are looking empty. Plus McGregor being out is another blow for these fixtures, as shown with Celtic, he can make a side tick in midfield and take pressure off Gilmour.

Edited by jamboinglasgow

Gundermann
6 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

If only the media would ask him some tough questions.

how did Patterson stay on the whole game?

what exactly Clarke believes Christie, dykes or Adams bring to the team? 
why did you select 4 keepers but only play one? Especially after that one played poorly in the first game 

This.

We pay Clarke's wages. He should at least justify his choices.

manaliveits105
5 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

One group I am amazed has not been criticised more is the SFA. This run of games has had us playing a lot of top teams in friendlies in this bad run, destroying the momentum we had before. In international football, while its important to play a top team every so often, you get equal or lesser teams to build up the feel good factor by winning. We should have run today but its now a bad loss after many sore losses.

The SFA wanted the glamour and missed the important thing which is Scotland doing well.

This also gives other top teams no fear if they play us 

but hey yes sir we can boogie ay 

Darth Sidious
2 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Naw it's some team called Cym against PWYL and a commentary in phlem

😂

Hearts007
1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Nah, that goal was 100% responsibility of Patterson. Horrendous touch to lose ball then worse attempt to try some trick when putting ball out of park was answer.

19 goals in 7 games we have conceded. Wtf are these guys doing in training cause they've learned nothing from last games.

A Sibbick moment

Jambo92

Strange time in the season for friendlies, not surprised the intensity wasn't there.

This double header could be a blessing in disguise for the euros, but Clarke is a stubborn bloke so I'm sure we'll watch Dykes and McLean for many years to come.

HillmanHearts

Been a while since I’ve seen a more abject Scotland performance.

Northern Ireland at home and we hardly laid a glove on them.
Brutal stuff.

Edited by HillmanHearts
Grammar

Luckies1874
2 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

He plays his favourite 11 not his best 11

What's his favourite 11?

What's our best 11?

This will be interesting.

VALDOS'

There's a feeling of "job done" from this current group of players, honest to **** how can some of these balloons still be getting picked for one last hoorah at the Euros.... 

Just to add, Patterson looks rusty, he's someone who previously has impressed, but certainly not in these two games....but come on to ****, we should be scoring 2 or 3 goals tonight 

Edited by VALDOS'

luckyBatistuta
10 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Careful now LB, watch what you say😜🤣

target-cross-hair.gif

JDK2020
36 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

"It's just a friendly. "

It's just a friendly at Hampden where folk have travelled and spent to be there to watch their national side versus a shite national side

You're obviously talking about the Northern Ireland fans there...

Just now, JDK2020 said:

No but I see your point 😂 

Luckies1874
1 minute ago, VALDOS' said:

There's a feeling of "job done" from this current group of players, honest to **** how can some of these balloons still be getting picked for one last hoorah at the Euros.... 

What would your team be, assuming everyone is available, on 15th June, in Munich?

Gundermann
2 minutes ago, JDK2020 said:

Travelled from Lanarkshire...  :facepalm:

Good on them though. The Tartan Army are just so embarrasing and divisive...

Screenshot_20240326_205449_Discord.thumb

Roxy Hearts

Embarrassing getting beat by NI, one of the worst teams in Europe.

The Treasurer

Clarke continually bangs on about players having to be playing regularly for their club in order to be selected. 

Maybe he should put that into practice 

Gilmour, Tierney and Shankland the only three who came out of the two matches with definite pass marks for me.

We need Hickey and McGregor back.  And I hope Robertson's injury isn't too bad.

We played shite tonight, but we have plenty of good players.  We will still give it a good go in Germany.

Psychedelicropcircle

Can’t even see the point in this game no team like NI at the euros

Hearts007

all 3 pundits saying Shanks should be a starter in euro

Gorgierools
1 minute ago, Sydney said:

Gilmour, Tierney and Shankland the only three who came out of the two matches with definite pass marks for me.

We played shite tonight, but we have plenty of good players.  We will still give it a good go in Germany.

Thought Ferguson done ok

1971fozzy

If shanks has a strong end to the domestic season (and no reason to think otherwise) then he will start in my opinion. 
if he doesn’t then Clarke is onto a hiding. I know he’s stubborn but that would be a dead man walking decision.

JDK2020
3 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Travelled from Lanarkshire...  :facepalm:

Good on them though. The Tartan Army are just so embarrasing and divisive...

Screenshot_20240326_205449_Discord.thumb

Wherever they came from they got behind their team...they out sang the scotland fans from start to finish. Only heard the TA when they bood the NI anthem at the start and bood their own team off at the end.

2 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

If shanks has a strong end to the domestic season (and no reason to think otherwise) then he will start in my opinion. 
if he doesn’t then Clarke is onto a hiding. I know he’s stubborn but that would be a dead man walking decision.

If he doesn’t play him he will be viewed as a clown by anyone who knows anything about football. 

RustyRightPeg

Feel sorry for Patterson. Sitting behind Ashley Young and Seamus Coleman can’t be good for his confidence and it showed tonight. Could tell after an hour he was second guessing himself and that’s not how you should play, it should be instinctive. He looked short of match fitness too. Should’ve been taken out the firing line. 

Thing with Clarke is he’s stubborn with his selections and shape as we all know. Christie has been playing as a sitting midfielder for Bournemouth and doing it extremely well. Where does Clarke play him? Off the left of a midfield 3. He should’ve been deeper beside Gilmour. 

Ferguson should also be a nailed on starter due to his club performances. 

We need to ditch the 5 at the back to get our best players on the pitch. At the moment that isn’t Tierney and Robertson like it previously was, it’s our midfield that’s our strength. 

He needs to learn from tonight and adapt going forward. 

Australis
1 minute ago, JDK2020 said:

Wherever they came from they got behind their team...they out sang the scotland fans from start to finish. Only heard the TA when they bood the NI anthem at the start and bood their own team off at the end.

Welsh fans currently behind their team right now too.

If we are not playing England they are constantly silent and a nothing.

The Jacobites know how to boo though, they do that very well.

stevie1874
7 minutes ago, Sydney said:

Robertson if unfit will be seamlessly replaced in that position by Tierney who imo is the better player. 

I think Shankland will play a big role in Germany.  Tournament football is different from qualifying.  Having a player who can create chances for himself in tight spaces and puts away a high % of them is vital. 

His hold up play is as good as (if not better than) Dykes as well.

SectionDJambo
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

If he doesn’t play him he will be viewed as a clown by anyone who knows anything about football. 

Dykes and Adams have probably been given their last chance, tonight, to be ahead of our captain in the Scotland line up for Germany.

Lawrence just needs to keep scoring for Hearts and he will start in the 2 games before Germany.

CostaJambo
5 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

I hope I am wrong but I fear his stubbornness means that Dykes will start barring injury. Might not be a bad thing if he does as expected and Shanks then starts the next two.

Just now, SectionDJambo said:

Dykes and Adams have probably been given their last chance, tonight, to be ahead of our captain in the Scotland line up for Germany.

Lawrence just needs to keep scoring for Hearts and he will start in the 2 games before Germany.

Clarke is probably more excited about Jacob Brown getting back to fitness. 

lisburnjambo

To Naismith and and the other “pundits” that basically called this a walkover before the match kicked off …🤫 😛🥳