Acid Reflux.

Dawnrazor

Dawnrazor

It's a bloody nightmare, I was suffering from it for a while, two or three nights a week I'd be up spewing, my mate put me into tablets called Nexium, for three weeks I've not had the slightest problem, then tonight it's back.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Dawnrazor

• Ulysses

• henrysmithsgloves

Ulysses
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

It's a bloody nightmare, I was suffering from it for a while, two or three nights a week I'd be up spewing, my mate put me into tablets called Nexium, for three weeks I've not had the slightest problem, then tonight it's back.

The Nexium is probably 20 mg, and you might need a higher dose.  You can get 40 or 80 on prescription. 

You could also double the dose, but IIRC it's a lot dearer over the counter.

Is it acid reflux into the throat, or heartburn?

Dawnrazor
2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

The Nexium is probably 20 mg, and you might need a higher dose.  You can get 40 or 80 on prescription. 

You could also double the dose, but IIRC it's a lot dearer over the counter.

Is it acid reflux into the throat, or heartburn?

It's the 20mg ones I got to try, they seemed to sort the problem out until tonight, I'll start taking two then try the 40mg ones.

It starts as indigestion, right in the middle of chest and on the opposite side in my back, after a few hours it makes me sick.

Dawnrazor
15 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

PM sent.

Thanks for the nude pics Ully but they really haven't helped!

neilnunb

Used to get same really bad, would come for a few days then disappear for weeks then go through the same cycle. Ended up at the docs and got put on omeprazole. Things settled down quickly. Still get the occasional flare up but always have the omeprazole handy and it sorts it out.

Best going to the docs though. I say that simply because about 7 years ago I had the same symptoms as the acid reflux but ended up being an embedded kidney stone. Will spare you all the gory details from that experience. 😁

Dawnrazor
1 minute ago, neilnunb said:

Used to get same really bad, would come for a few days then disappear for weeks then go through the same cycle. Ended up at the docs and got put on omeprazole. Things settled down quickly. Still get the occasional flare up but always have the omeprazole handy and it sorts it out.

Best going to the docs though. I say that simply because about 7 years ago I had the same symptoms as the acid reflux but ended up being an embedded kidney stone. Will spare you all the gory details from that experience. 😁

Cheers, I went through the kidney stone thing about six or seven years ago, you have my sympathies!

I'll certainly keep the omeprazole in mind👍

neilnunb
2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Cheers, I went through the kidney stone thing about six or seven years ago, you have my sympathies!

Haha yes, horrific. Even lucked out when one of the student nurses wanted to hold my knob with one hand and shove the camera up with the other, as it ended up being the male and not the female one. 🤣

henrysmithsgloves

Get some peptac liquid , my heartburn is similar to a heart attack, it's the only stuff that settles it down . 👍🏻👍🏻

Ulysses
12 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Soz.  I just thought one big session of bleeeaaarrrrrgggghhh and you'd be fine.  :laugh: 

Ulysses
Just now, henrysmithsgloves said:

Get some peptac liquid , my heartburn is similar to a heart attack, it's the only stuff that settles it down . 👍🏻👍🏻

Not directly related to the OP, but this is your friendly reminder not to buy Gaviscon if you're a heartburn sufferer.  Peptac, or the own brands by Sainsbury's, ASDA and Superdrug, contain exactly the same active ingredients in the same dosages as Gaviscon, and they are every bit as effective, but they are a lot cheaper.

Dawnrazor
3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Soz.  I just thought one big session of bleeeaaarrrrrgggghhh and you'd be fine.  :laugh: 

😂👍

Dawnrazor
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

Not directly related to the OP, but this is your friendly reminder not to buy Gaviscon if you're a heartburn sufferer.  Peptac, or the own brands by Sainsbury's, ASDA and Superdrug, contain exactly the same active ingredients in the same dosages as Gaviscon, and they are every bit as effective, but they are a lot cheaper.

Good point, I never knew that, I've been buying Gaviscon for ages thinking it was the best.

Ulysses
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

Good point, I never knew that, I've been buying Gaviscon for ages thinking it was the best.

It's why they've added these variants with fancy titles and slightly different mixes - and bigger prices.  Gaviscon Advance, and things like that.

All of the products I've mentioned, including "regular" Gaviscon, have the same key ingredients and the same strengths. Each 5 ml of liquid contains:

sodium bicarbonate 133.5 mg

sodium alginate 250 mg

calcium carbonate 80 mg

Peptac seems to be the best value of all, but ASDA, Sainsbury's, Superdrug are all cheaper than Gaviscon - and you can add Boots own brand to the list as well.

henrysmithsgloves
10 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I get the stuff free😁was on omeprazol for years now on esomeprazole,but that doesn't cut it😳 had camera down at start of year,all clear😁 They think it's due to stroke and combination of tablets that's causing mine.Thank you NHS Scotland 👍🏻👍🏻

Ulysses
1 minute ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

I get the stuff free😁was on omeprazol for years now on esomeprazole,but that doesn't cut it😳 had camera down at start of year,all clear😁 They think it's due to stroke and combination of tablets that's causing mine.Thank you NHS Scotland 👍🏻👍🏻

I've to pay for mine, so you can feck off.  :laugh: 

I had been on pantoprazole, but then got switched to esomeprazole.  One seems as effective as the other, but the pantoprazole was about 40% cheaper.  Any complicated combination of medications leaves you at risk of stomach problems, unfortunately.

henrysmithsgloves
Just now, Ulysses said:

I had been on pantoprazole, but then got switched to esomeprazole.  One seems as effective as the other, but the pantoprazole was about 40% cheaper.  Any complicated combination of medications leaves you at risk of stomach problems, unfortunately.

True,I was on aspirin for six years to reduce the chance of bowel cancer coming back ,on top of various prescription antacids. That's one thing I have no complaints about living in Scotland,free prescriptions and cancer screening at an earlier age than England. Don't know about Eire though 👍🏻

Ulysses
5 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

True,I was on aspirin for six years to reduce the chance of bowel cancer coming back ,on top of various prescription antacids. That's one thing I have no complaints about living in Scotland,free prescriptions and cancer screening at an earlier age than England. Don't know about Eire though 👍🏻

Basically, you pay for doctor visits and medications unless you're on an income less than about €600 per week, you're over 70, or you have certain chronic conditions.  But there's also an upper limit on how much you pay for meds each month.  Our screening programmes are in line with England rather than Scotland.

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

My mate died after taking that stuff...

I can't believe Gav is gone

Konrad von Carstein
5 hours ago, Ulysses said:

PM sent.

5 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

:lol:

The Mighty Thor

Go to the doctors mate. 

I've had it on and off for years and have had numerous tests for various things including cameras where you're really not wanting them to be.

The crowning glory was an episode where I was in the ERI at 3am thinking I was having a heart attack as the pain in my chest was that bad. 

Certain foods trigger it for me but the bevvy is the biggest culprit. 

Omeprazole is your friend. 

Konrad von Carstein
3 hours ago, Hansel said:

My mate died after taking that stuff...

I can't believe Gav is gone

:jj:

:vrface:

Libertarian
6 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Lansaprozamol really helps . Speak to your GP

If you are a big coffee drinker, try switching to tea for a few weeks and see how the symptoms are. 

Libertarian
35 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Go to the doctors mate. 

I've had it on and off for years and have had numerous tests for various things including cameras where you're really not wanting them to be.

The crowning glory was an episode where I was in the ERI at 3am thinking I was having a heart attack as the pain in my chest was that bad. 

I had a similar experience one Christmas when I was living in London. I went along to Ealing A&E convinced I was having a heart attack. The hospital was very thorough and kept me in all night. Turned out it was acids in my stomach 

Libertarian
1 minute ago, kila said:

If you are a big coffee drinker, try switching to tea for a few weeks and see how the symptoms are. 

Another suggestion would be decaf coffee.

JudyJudyJudy
6 hours ago, neilnunb said:

I’m on that too due to meds I take . Never had reflux in years so maybe it works ? 

JudyJudyJudy
6 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Good advice and is generally true of many meds 

JudyJudyJudy
6 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

I’ve had a cannera down my throat and up my bahookie . I asked the nurse “ is it up yet “ ? She looked surprised . 😳 

Jim_Duncan
7 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

I get similar. You have my sympathies. 

I cut out coffee, onions, garlic and tomatoes for a week. Made a huge difference. 

JudyJudyJudy

Yes Scotland has the “ 2 week rule “ for cancer , if you have had cancer before you are fast tracked which is good . I saw a consultant last year about a lump under my arm fairly quickly . The NHS is wonderful 

JudyJudyJudy

Aspirin can be lethal to lining of the stomach ditto ibruprofen and naproxen 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I cut out coffee, onions, garlic and tomatoes for a week. Made a huge difference. 

I. Have garlic everyday almost . 

henrysmithsgloves
4 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Aspirin can be lethal to lining of the stomach ditto ibruprofen and naproxen 

Tell me about it,but the alternative is a lot worse 😳 had antibiotic treatment years ago for a stomach ulcer😳 

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Tell me about it,but the alternative is a lot worse 😳 had antibiotic treatment years ago for a stomach ulcer😳 

Yep. However here’s something quite interesting . People , well medical people and the general public used to think ulcers were caused by “ bad living “ 

“ food “ etc . However they are generally caused by a bacteria called “ h pylori “ . I had this decades ago and it was horrendous . Was in hospital for 3 weeks . The guys who discovered it was a bacteria got the nobel prize for medicine . 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

periodictabledancer

I've suffered from acid reflux all my life so the arrival of Gaviscon (and it's variants) was a godsend.

However a couple of years ago I had heart trouble and because of the meds I take for that I have to take Lansoprazole as the meds can cause terrible indigestion. I've never had any problem since I started taking Lansoprazole.  *****, would recommend. 

41 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

When I was a big coffee drinker, I started using paper filters to filter out the oil which mitigates it a little. Now I'm on tea I don't really suffer from it much.

Greasy foods usually trigger it a little for me, but a pain worth tolerating for a decent fry up now and again.

9 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

😆😆

cheetah
3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yep. However here’s something quite interesting . People , well medical people and the general public used to think ulcers were caused by “ bad living “ 

“ food “ etc . However they are generally caused by a bacteria called “ h pylori “ . I had this decades ago and it was horrendous . Was in hospital for 3 weeks . The guys who discovered it was a bacteria got the nobel prize for medicine . 

The guy who discovered it proved the cause by necking a load of the H. Pylori and giving himself a load of Ulcers then taking antibiotics to sort himself out. Total nut job and proper old school scientist at the same time. 

JudyJudyJudy
11 minutes ago, cheetah said:

The guy who discovered it proved the cause by necking a load of the H. Pylori and giving himself a load of Ulcers then taking antibiotics to sort himself out. Total nut job and proper old school scientist at the same time. 

Yes he did . 👍old school as you say 

Ulysses
13 minutes ago, cheetah said:

The rate of Helicobacter Pylori infection in the West has collapsed, and with it there's been a huge decrease in the number of people who suffer from ulcers.  

But the rate of acid reflux and oesophageal illness has significantly increased in the same time period, and along with that there's been a big increase in usage of PPIs (all those stomach drugs ending in --prazole).

Some researchers think there's a connection, and that H. Pylori might have a role in protecting the oesophagus from injury and illness.

12 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Had it bad during my cold/covid illness at the start of the year. Everytime I thought I was clear it came back with a vengeance.

Jambo-Jimbo
10 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I get mine for free as well, good old NHS Scotland. :laugh:

Used to suffer from reflux but it was usually food or drink induced, but when I had my heart problems and was put on several pills it came back, anyway mentioned it to the nurse at one of my check-ups, she reported that to the doctor and was put on Omeprazole 20mg daily but it was more to protect my stomach from all the other drugs I was on rather than the reflux.  Still get the odd recurrence now and then but everything seems to be way way better now than it was.

Dawnrazor
36 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Had it bad during my cold/covid illness at the start of the year. Everytime I thought I was clear it came back with a vengeance.

Do you still get it? Are you taking tablets?

Maple Leaf
6 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Go to the doctors mate. 

Good advice.  

I've been suffering from GERD for years and it's hellish when it kicks in.  Whatever meds the doctor might describe, you cannot stay on it indefinitely are there can be serious side effects.

The approach that works for me is to identify the foods that cause acid reflux and avoid them.  I avoid spicy foods and chocolate, and definitely watch my booze intake.

jack D and coke
12 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Simple answer is get prescription for Omeprazole.

Literally changed my life. 
You can buy them over the counter in Spain too so i always grab a load on holiday too. 
I don’t take them every day but if I know I’m going out that night for example or if I’m holiday and your drinking and eating all the time they’ll sort you right out. 
I was getting to the stage rennies we’re giving me heartburn. 

Jim_Duncan
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

I was getting to the stage rennies we’re giving me heartburn. 

I'm sick of munching Rennies. 

Although I was at someone's house the other week and they gave me some Gaviscon liquid. Couldn't shit for about three days. Agony. Back to the Rennies...

inspector
6 hours ago, kila said:

Totally agree. I was getting hellish heartburn so l stopped drinking coffee. Not keen on tea so after having one cup of coffee in the morning, I much prefer water or diluting juice. Heartburn gone