Acid Reflux.

Dawnrazor

14 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Do you still get it? Are you taking tablets?

Nah, I eventually got over it but was suffering for a good 3-4 weeks.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Dawnrazor

• Ulysses

• henrysmithsgloves

jack D and coke
14 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I'm sick of munching Rennies. 

Although I was at someone's house the other week and they gave me some Gaviscon liquid. Couldn't shit for about three days. Agony. Back to the Rennies...

None of that stuff ever really works for me anymore. 
Omeprazole man and you’ll never have any trouble again. 
Honestly they’re life changing. 
Maybe not in a good way cos I can drink like a mofo again…😐

Edited by jack D and coke

Dawnrazor

I thought it was the termaric tablets I got with fish oil ones, the seven sea ones, I stopped taking the termaric and it cleared up, then came back, thinking back I was getting heartburn for a while before I got worse, I can't pin it down to a particular food or group of foods, I've had spicy food with wine, greasy food with beer without any problems, then out of the yellow, whamo!! I'd not had any trouble for nearly three weeks until last night, I was trying to reduce the amount of tablets I was taking from one a day to one every other day, looks like I'll be taking one a day.

Some have said it's like a heart attack, I completely relate to that, I've never had a heart attack but I suspect it feels like severe heartburn, I get a real pain in the centre of my chest, front and back, it's makes be vomit but, despite having had my tea six or seven hours previous, I don't bring much up, sort of sever dry boaking🤷

Dawnrazor
8 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

When I feel a bad boubt coming on, Gaviscon makes absolutely no difference to me.

Dawnrazor
12 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Nah, I eventually got over it but was suffering for a good 3-4 weeks.

Have you altered your diet or has it just gone away?

jack D and coke
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

When I feel a bad boubt coming on, Gaviscon makes absolutely no difference to me.

Exactly. It was a cousin who gave me some of his omeprazole and it was life changing man.
I’ve never had it since. 

Dawnrazor
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Exactly. It was a cousin who gave me some of his omeprazole and it was life changing man.
I’ve never had it since. 

👍

6 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Have you altered your diet or has it just gone away?

Never changed anything. Convinced it was just apart of the illness. If you've had a cold / covid recently then there's every chance it's a symptom

Jim_Duncan
16 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Omeprazole man

Sounds like a great addition to the MCU.

The most effective tablets / sweets I have found are actually Morrisons branded ones. Do the trick every time.

I used to enjoy a beer or two max in the evening but the heartburn got so bad it just wasn't worth it. Now I will only drink if I am having a 'session' so to speak.

jack D and coke
18 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Sounds like a great addition to the MCU.

:lol: 

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Simple answer is get prescription for Omeprazole.

Literally changed my life. 
You can buy them over the counter in Spain too so i always grab a load on holiday too. 
I don’t take them every day but if I know I’m going out that night for example or if I’m holiday and your drinking and eating all the time they’ll sort you right out. 
I was getting to the stage rennies we’re giving me heartburn. 

Got to love the Spanish

Charge you about 6 quid for 14 paracetamol but only 2 quid for 28 Omeprazole 😂

I always stock up in Tenerife when i'm there.

Tommy Brown

I am on Lanzoprozole after having my osophogus removed thre years ago.

Huge deal for me as I sleep now with 4 pillows to prevent it. 

Only get it in my sleep, utterly vile.

Rarely get it now as I've got used to my new sleeping position.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

One of my neices likes a good bevvy and she swears by them too 👍 I’m lucky I get them on prescription 

I know it sounds like some Internet bullshit ("try this one weird trick..."), but a spoonful of apple cider vinegar always sorts me out. 

henrysmithsgloves
19 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

I know it sounds like some Internet bullshit ("try this one weird trick..."), but a spoonful of apple cider vinegar always sorts me out. 

Nephews Chinese wife and family swear by it, might be something 🧐

milky_26

i dont know if anyone else has suggested it but raising the head of your bed can help. it means you are not lying flat but at an angle. i did have an occassional issue when in bed with acid reflux, this seems to have sorted it

Maple Leaf
57 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Excess stomach acid is treated by adding more acid.  Hmm.  I'll let someone else go first.

Maple Leaf
5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i dont know if anyone else has suggested it but raising the head of your bed can help. it means you are not lying flat but at an angle. i did have an occassional issue when in bed with acid reflux, this seems to have sorted it

That definitely helps and most doctors will suggest it.

I take CBD oil capsules for anxiety, but since I started taking them I haven't had acid reflux at all. Been well over a year now. 

Dawnrazor
5 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Excess stomach acid is treated by adding more acid.  Hmm.  I'll let someone else go first.

I thought that 🤔

5 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I know it sounds counterintuitive, but a lot of cases of heartburn are caused by low stomach acid, not the other way round. So the ACV helps by balancing acid levels, causing the oesophagus to contract and stop releasing acid back up the digestive tract. Apparently. 

Maple Leaf
28 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

I know it sounds counterintuitive, but a lot of cases of heartburn are caused by low stomach acid, not the other way round. So the ACV helps by balancing acid levels, causing the oesophagus to contract and stop releasing acid back up the digestive tract. Apparently. 

Do you take the ACV before going to bed as a preventative, or do you take it after the agony kicks in? 

My problem is definitely that my stomach produces too much acid, so consuming vinegar (even though it's only about 5% acetic acid) is the last thing I'd think of doing.

JudyJudyJudy
7 hours ago, Craig_ said:

I have that now and again , 

9 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Do you take the ACV before going to bed as a preventative, or do you take it after the agony kicks in? 

My problem is definitely that my stomach produces too much acid, so consuming vinegar (even though it's only about 5% acetic acid) is the last thing I'd think of doing.

Just a spoonful whenever I feel it coming on. To be fair though, my symptoms are fairly mild and can usually be traced back to drinking too much booze! 

Madjambo21

I got put on omeprazole and it sorted my problem out.

Did read that omeprazole can mask symptoms of cancer and if taken long term can have detrimental affects on your health (could all be rubbish though)

Maple Leaf
7 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

Did read that omeprazole can mask symptoms of cancer and if taken long term can have detrimental affects on your health (could all be rubbish though)

No, not rubbish.

I was on one-per-day, but my doctor backed me off to one every second day for the reasons you gave.

Ulysses
22 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

No, not rubbish.

I was on one-per-day, but my doctor backed me off to one every second day for the reasons you gave.

My doc talked that stuff through with me, but his view was that I should carry on with a daily dosage and get an OGD with biopsies every couple of years. He says the biggest risk is masking of symptoms.  I've been taking PPIs for more than 15 years now.

J.T.F.Robertson
On 21/03/2024 at 19:24, Ulysses said:

Not directly related to the OP, but this is your friendly reminder not to buy Gaviscon if you're a heartburn sufferer.  Peptac, or the own brands by Sainsbury's, ASDA and Superdrug, contain exactly the same active ingredients in the same dosages as Gaviscon, and they are every bit as effective, but they are a lot cheaper.

Zantac was the answer for me until a few years ago when it was banned as it supposedly contained a cancer causing agent. 😨

I'd used it as my port of call for years.

Ulysses
1 hour ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Zantac was the answer for me until a few years ago when it was banned as it supposedly contained a cancer causing agent. 😨

I'd used it as my port of call for years.

Jaysus, I remember Zantac.  It's not that long ago since it went off the market.

Don't want to be a downer but someone close to my wife recently passed due to osophegal cancer. One of their symptoms prior to diagnosis was continual reflux.

If you suffer from it, maybe get it checked out at the docs.

Not meaning to be a doom-monger, but little things can have big consequences.

Lone Striker
5 hours ago, Madjambo21 said:

My wife was told something similar when the GP reviewed her extensive list of daily medications.  Apart from anything, the more medications you're taking, the more likely it is that one is actually counter-acting another.  It was counter-acting her Losartan blood pressure pill - not good.    He also said that a daily Omeprazole tablet long-term will cause  damage to your stomach lining. 

Prawns are one of the most common foods to cause heartburn-like symptoms.  Its happened to me recently - even a wee bite  of prawn toast gives me awful heartburn.  Gaviscon double strength liquid definitely helps, but it can take more than an hour to feel better.   Thats after 40 years of eating prawns with no problems at all.  Strangely, other shellfish like mussels and crayfish don't give me heartburn - just prawns.

Ulysses
28 minutes ago, Boris said:

Don't want to be a downer but someone close to my wife recently passed due to osophegal cancer. One of their symptoms prior to diagnosis was continual reflux.

If you suffer from it, maybe get it checked out at the docs.

Not meaning to be a doom-monger, but little things can have big consequences.

In short, don't just buy Nexium or Gaviscon (substitutes) over the counter.  Get yourself checked out.

AyrJambo
On 22/03/2024 at 08:00, JudyJudyJudy said:

Aspirin can be lethal to lining of the stomach ditto ibruprofen and naproxen 

On 22/03/2024 at 13:26, jack D and coke said:

6 hours ago, Madjambo21 said:

Had a perforated gastric ulcer last year

Mad stomach cramping pain one night thought I was dying

GP next day sent straight up to Assessment Unit at local hospital

Wasn't allowed home that day and was in there for 8 days - no solid food, IV antibiotics, MRI scans and X-Rays

These showed a perforation of stomach but which had started to heal with antibiotics

Consultant was reluctant to do endoscopy before fully healed so home on oral antibiotics and off work for about a month

Eventual endoscopy showed good healing - consultant was surprised said mostly these cases require surgery

Anyway what I am getting to is when I asked what the main cause might have been (expecting to be told years of smoking) I was shocked to be told that it was tears of using Ibuprofen as a go to painkiller

So not touching that again!

Currently on 20mg Omeprazole twice daily prescription but slightly concerned about comments on symptom-masking and stomach lining issues

Think I'll start reducing intake

JudyJudyJudy
16 minutes ago, AyrJambo said:

Had a perforated gastric ulcer last year

Mad stomach cramping pain one night thought I was dying

GP next day sent straight up to Assessment Unit at local hospital

Wasn't allowed home that day and was in there for 8 days - no solid food, IV antibiotics, MRI scans and X-Rays

These showed a perforation of stomach but which had started to heal with antibiotics

Consultant was reluctant to do endoscopy before fully healed so home on oral antibiotics and off work for about a month

Eventual endoscopy showed good healing - consultant was surprised said mostly these cases require surgery

Anyway what I am getting to is when I asked what the main cause might have been (expecting to be told years of smoking) I was shocked to be told that it was tears of using Ibuprofen as a go to painkiller

So not touching that again!

Currently on 20mg Omeprazole twice daily prescription but slightly concerned about comments on symptom-masking and stomach lining issues

Think I'll start reducing intake

Yes I’ve not touched ibruprofen in years . I haven’t heard of omaprezole masking cancer signs ? 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes I’ve not touched ibruprofen in years . I haven’t heard of omaprezole masking cancer signs ? 

Apparently it can mask things. I’ve got to go for a check up every now and again they don’t just keep prescribing omeprazole without checking there isn’t something else underlying. 
I think I’ve said I don’t take it every day but when I know I’m going to have a kick at the baw I take one a day. 
It’s a miracle drug for me. 

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Apparently it can mask things. I’ve got to go for a check up every now and again they don’t just keep prescribing omeprazole without checking there isn’t something else underlying. 
I think I’ve said I don’t take it every day but when I know I’m going to have a kick at the baw I take one a day. 
It’s a miracle drug for me. 

I’ve Took it everyday for years . Like i said never heard it masking issues. Might have more a look into it ! 

neilnunb

Omeprazole has also been linked with increased chances of developing dementia.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Omeprazole has also been linked with increased chances of developing dementia.

FFS and on that cherry note im off to my slumber 😎

henrysmithsgloves
Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’m actually on lamaprozole but it’s the same. Thing I suppose. . 

Dunno,they say H2 drugs are different. I know they withdrew an antacid that was popular years ago

neilnunb
2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

FFS and on that cherry note im off to my slumber 😎

Don't worry, you'll have forgotten about it in the morning. 🙂

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Dunno,they say H2 drugs are different. I know they withdrew an antacid that was popular years ago

What’s “h2” drugs? 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, neilnunb said:

Don't worry, you'll have forgotten about it in the morning. 🙂

IMG_7799.jpeg

jack D and coke
14 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’ve Took it everyday for years . Like i said never heard it masking issues. Might have more a look into it ! 

There’s pros and cons to everything.

I was ruined by heartburn and all that. 
Omeprazole has changed my life. 
I’ll take the cons tbh.