Acid Reflux.

Dawnrazor

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

There’s pros and cons to everything.

I was ruined by heartburn and all that. 
Omeprazole has changed my life. 
I’ll take the cons tbh. 

Thats exactly what I’m thinking as I take a few meds a day and the lamaprozole def works . I initially had to take it due to h pylori . If i stop takin it my stomach problems might reappear . You can’t win really. Taking any meds long term can cause side effects 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Dawnrazor

• Ulysses

• henrysmithsgloves

henrysmithsgloves
6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

There’s pros and cons to everything.

I was ruined by heartburn and all that. 
Omeprazole has changed my life. 
I’ll take the cons tbh. 

I'm in the same boat 👍🏻

Ricardo Quaresma

Op should absolutely get tested for H.Pylori

After treatment, Lansoprazole is better than Omeprazole, but still get gaviscon if the oesophagus gets a regular coating of stomach acid and probably want to insist on an endoscopy to assess oesophagitis after about 6 months

There's also the procedure of getting the oesophageal sphincter (lol) tightened if that's the cause after this stage

I asked to be blood-tested for this bug because someone I knew had a perforated pyloric ulcer

The Noble Laureate is an Aussie called Dr Barry Marshall, he isn't mental, he simply knew he'd sorted it

2/3 of people get H.Pylori at some time

henrysmithsgloves
1 minute ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Op should absolutely get tested for H.Pylori

After treatment, Lansoprazole is better than Omeprazole, but still get gaviscon if the oesophagus gets a regular coating of stomach acid and probably want to insist on an endoscopy to assess oesophagitis after about 6 months

There's also the procedure of getting the oesophageal sphincter (lol) tightened if that's the cause after this stage

I asked to be blood-tested for this bug because someone I knew had a perforated pyloric ulcer

The Noble Laureate is an Aussie called Dr Barry Marshall, he isn't mental, he simply knew he'd sorted it

2/3 of people get H.Pylori at some time

Did you get the breath test or stool sample? One year the doc told me to breathe into a jar,then lid on it a sent away. Last time it was a stool sample,mates don't believe me about the breath test 🤣

Ricardo Quaresma
18 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Did you get the breath test or stool sample? One year the doc told me to breathe into a jar,then lid on it a sent away. Last time it was a stool sample,mates don't believe me about the breath test 🤣

Yeah, breath test, but I don't trust the cheapness of it

The antibodies are supposed to disappear after 6 moths to a year after triple therapy, but I insisted on another test and they tried to argue with that, because most antibodies don't dissapate, but stomach antibodies do, according to the H.Pylori foundation website, led by Barry Marshall

Edit: the antibodies were the same level

I'm going back on lansops soon and going to ask for gaviscon too, then another endoscopy

They took the p155 enough, they were only getting a blood test or breath test 🤣

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’ve Took it everyday for years . Like i said never heard it masking issues. Might have more a look into it ! 

I try not take it everyday because you know these things can’t be good for you. But there’s pros and cons.

56 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

I'm in the same boat 👍🏻

I was was getting to a stage my nights out were ruined honestly. Omeprazole has changed my life. For good or bad I don’t know :lol: 

59 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Thats exactly what I’m thinking as I take a few meds a day and the lamaprozole def works . I initially had to take it due to h pylori . If i stop takin it my stomach problems might reappear . You can’t win really. Taking any meds long term can cause side effects 

I was at a stage my nights were ruined. 

Going out with packets of rennies or remegels or whatever…nothing worked.

Then omeprazole…my life changed that day. 
If that kills me then fine. 

Lovecraft
4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I try not take it everyday because you know these things can’t be good for you. But there’s pros and cons.

I was was getting to a stage my nights out were ruined honestly. Omeprazole has changed my life. For good or bad I don’t know :lol: 

I was at a stage my nights were ruined. 

Going out with packets of rennies or remegels or whatever…nothing worked.

Then omeprazole…my life changed that day. 
If that kills me then fine. 

Pussy.  Just man the **** up and drink a half  pint of vinegar like a real man.

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Pussy.  Just man the **** up and drink a half  pint of vinegar like a real man.

Drank worse…😐

Ulysses
12 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Omeprazole has also been linked with increased chances of developing dementia.

Possibly, but the studies show conflicting results, and the current overall view is that there isn't any statistically significant extra risk of dementia in people who are consistent or chronic PPI users. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6408083/

(But if I forget posting this by teatime, you'll know I'm talking nonsense)  :runaway:

Placid Casual
On 22/03/2024 at 06:23, The Mighty Thor said:

Go to the doctors mate. 

I've had it on and off for years and have had numerous tests for various things including cameras where you're really not wanting them to be.

The crowning glory was an episode where I was in the ERI at 3am thinking I was having a heart attack as the pain in my chest was that bad

Certain foods trigger it for me but the bevvy is the biggest culprit. 

Omeprazole is your friend. 

I'm yet another one that experienced this kind of pain.

I was trying to reduce my Omepazole intake at the time. I've been taking 20mg twice a day for 2.5 years now.

I'd still like to reduce it (and ultimately come off it completely) but I think I'll have to taper over for a long period of time. Has anyone tried this themselves?

(Doesn't help that I find it really hard to give up food that's not good for me!).

J.T.F.Robertson
20 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Jaysus, I remember Zantac.  It's not that long ago since it went off the market.

This is their replacement version with the dodgy ingredient eliminated.

I  haven't actually had enough reason to try it. (here's hoping)

content://com.android.chrome.FileProvider/images/screenshot/1711304964046-324491783.jpg

Tech skills non-existent. 

Edited by J.T.F.Robertson

Ulysses
35 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Tech skills non-existent. 

That's the Zantac side effects kicking in.  :whistling:

JDK2020

I used to get a lot of indigestion and it cost me a fortune in Rennies, got prescribed Omeprazole (20mg) by the doc and it's certainly helped these past good few years. 

Dawnrazor

There seems to be a lot of love for Omeprazole, do these, Omeprazole Nexium Lansoprazole, all work in the same way?

I've got a packet of Omeprazole this morning due to what people have said, I've been on Nexium for four weeks, I had one bout of reflux since I started taking them, both are 20mg.

Ulysses

Two things haven't been mentioned here that are very big risk factors for acid reflux.  One is excess weight, and the other is smoking.  People do get acid reflux and GERD even if they don't smoke or aren't overweight.  However, smokers and overweight people are much more likely to have symptoms, and quitting smoking and losing weight will relieve symptoms, and may eliminate them altogether.

Dawnrazor
3 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

I think I will stick with the medical experts🤣👍🏻

Yep, just wondering if anyone had heard of or used it.

Dawnrazor
2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Two things haven't been mentioned here that are very big risk factors for acid reflux.  One is excess weight, and the other is smoking.  People do get acid reflux and GERD even if they don't smoke or aren't overweight.  However, smokers and overweight people are much more likely to have symptoms, and quitting smoking and losing weight will relieve symptoms, and may eliminate them altogether.

I've never smoked, I could do with loosing a wee bit but wouldn't say I was too worried about it.

Ulysses
3 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

I've never smoked, I could do with loosing a wee bit but wouldn't say I was too worried about it.

Smoking has a couple of different effects that cause the oesophagus to become more prone to acid attack, and more sensitive when there is acid present. 

With weight, the heavier someone is the more likely it is that they'll have acid reflux.  But studies have also shown that people who gain weight but are still a normal BMI will get increased reflux.  It's got something to do with additional physical pressure on the stomach and the oesophageal sphincter. 

There also seem to be a lot of sufferers out there.

Dawnrazor
7 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Smoking has a couple of different effects that cause the oesophagus to become more prone to acid attack, and more sensitive when there is acid present. 

With weight, the heavier someone is the more likely it is that they'll have acid reflux.  But studies have also shown that people who gain weight but are still a normal BMI will get increased reflux.  It's got something to do with additional physical pressure on the stomach and the oesophageal sphincter. 

There also seem to be a lot of sufferers out there.

This thread has confirmed that😲

I came off prescribed drugs for acid reflux and I am  not any worse, I have 2 cups of cooled boiled water first thing every morning and it works wonders as does lots of walking, movement is very effective.

Placid Casual
12 hours ago, lou said:

I came off prescribed drugs for acid reflux and I am  not any worse, I have 2 cups of cooled boiled water first thing every morning and it works wonders as does lots of walking, movement is very effective.

Thanks, will try the cooled boiled water.

Dawnrazor

It turns out that "acid reflux" symptoms are remarkably like Gallstone symptoms😲

Just back from the hospital and have to go again tomorrow 🤦

maroondevo52

I had my Gall bladder removed some years ago when they discovered one large stone, never had acid reflux until after that.

Ulysses
3 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

It turns out that "acid reflux" symptoms are remarkably like Gallstone symptoms😲

Just back from the hospital and have to go again tomorrow 🤦

Yikes.