Carol Cooper

Shaggy2

Shaggy2

One of Heart of Midlothian’s biggest unsung heroes, perhaps THE biggest unsung hero of her time has sadly passed away.

Carol is the mother of Clare Cooper and in her day, like Clare does now, did all sorts in and around Tynecastle to help her fellow Jambos. A second mum to all the players, especially those who’d come from abroad that she looked after as alluded to many times by Ryan McGowan on Scarves Around The Funnel. 

Rest In Peace, Carol, thanks for everything you did for me and my club and for everyone of a maroon persuasion. 

I believe a tribute should be paid BEFORE the Kilmarnock match and not on the **th minute where people might/might not join in depending on how game is playing out.

Tams bird

Heard last night.  Sad sad news.  Don't think she was ever the same person after she got hit  by an idiot throwing a bottle at Murrayfield. Rest easy pal.

Gorgierools

Sad sad news

Thoughts with her family at this difficult time. R.I.P Carol.

Carol and Clare are the definition of 'Mrs Hearts'.

Thoughts are with Clare and all the family. 

jamboozy

Sad news, Carol and Clare were always kind to my Laddies when they were junior Jambos, the pair of them always wanted to go see them in the shop on match days.

Thoughts and prayers to Clare and her family.

Shaggy2
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tams bird said:

Heard last night.  Sad sad news.  Don't think she was ever the same person after she got hit  by an idiot throwing a bottle at Murrayfield. Rest easy pal.

Yeah, Clare intimated in her post that it had been a tough few years. I believe (may be wrong) this is what she was alluding to. 

Edited by Shaggy2

Very sad news, R.I.P Carol.

Thoughts to Clare and family.

Edited by jackal

RIP, thoughts are with the whole family after this sad loss 

Rockwell

So sad to here this news. condolences to Clare and family at this awful time. RIP

highlandjambo3

Sad news, RIP.  I didn’t know the woman but I do understand loss, my thought are with her family and friends.  On a side note, it fills me with pride that there are many many fine people associated with our club.

Darkwhisky7

Very sad news, Carol was a lovely lady who was Hearts through to the core. 
Condolences to Clare and the family, she will be dearly missed. 

John Findlay

Very sad news indeed. RIP Carol 

Condolences to Clare and all the family.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I had never heard of her, goes to show the unsung heroes that are around, not just at Hearts but in society. I hope her family find comfort in the kindness she bestowed upon others.

Chuck Berry

Can someone summarise what Carol's role was at Hearts? sorry, I've not actually heard of her.

Either way, sounds a sad loss. RIP.

RustyRightPeg
18 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Can someone summarise what Carol's role was at Hearts? sorry, I've not actually heard of her.

Either way, sounds a sad loss. RIP.

She was the mother of Clare Cowan, who is the current do it all for Hearts. She used to home some of the youngsters who had moved across to play for us, Ryan McGowan is the best example and he's spoke really well about her on SATF before. She used to look after them when they were in their teens. 

I think she maybe did more than that as well but that's what she's more commonly known for.

Sadly, it was Carol who was struck by the bottle before the Celtic game at Murrayfield, and sadly, she was never quite the same after that. Fairly tragic in truth. 

Edited by RustyRightPeg

Chuck Berry
25 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

She was the mother of Clare Cowan, who is the current do it all for Hearts. She used to home some of the youngsters who had moved across to play for us, Ryan McGowan is the best example and he's spoke really well about her on SATF before. She used to look after them when they were in their teens. 

I think she maybe did more than that as well but that's what she's more commonly known for.

Sadly, it was Carol who was struck by the bottle before the Celtic game at Murrayfield, and sadly, she was never quite the same after that. Fairly tragic in truth. 

Thanks.

millerjames398

Sad news,, i remember carol and claire, when they helped run the ardmillan hearts bus back in the 90s,,hearts mad would be an understatement..

Noooo 😞

Carol was a lovely lady. First met her in the late 80s serving me a baked tattie at Standard Life. Chatted about HMFC all day. 

Got to know Claire through Carol and even better when Carol worked at Hearts and when I saw her at the away games with her own crowd 🙂.

RIP Carol x

Thoughts with Claire and family ❤️

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Struck by a glass bottle by your own fans at 71 while waiting for a taxi.

I hate people sometimes.

martoon

RIP Carol 

Sincere condolences to Clare and her family. I met Mum and daughter a few times in the early '90's and, as already mentioned, nice people and Hearts daft.

Sad news indeed, thoughts are with her family at this time.

Echo the view that there should be some sort of tribute before next weekend's game.

Edited by cazzyy

Big Moysey

Sad news. Knew Carol through Ardmillan stopping in at either the Glenn or Friar as 'guests' of Perth & Kinross Hearts S C in the 90's when playing St Johnstone. RIP.

Luckies1874

Very sad to hear this news. A lovely family. 

Clare Cowan is a magnificent servant to Heart of Midlothian Football Club and I know her Mum felt a lot of pride at her role and achievements. She is in the mould of a Gary McKay or a Scott Crabbe and absolutely bleeds maroon like so many of us. Nothing is too much trouble for her and she has a wonderful manner and attitude. Thinking of her especially today.

Hearts_fan

Very sorry to hear this news. Sincere condolences to Clare and family.

portobellojambo1

I was very sad to read Clare's post on Facebook last night, her Mum's passing is a sad loss to not only to Clare but the wider Hearts community. Has a lot of fun in Carol's company, both travelling to HMFC games with Portobello Hearts SC and downing some drinks up in Merchiston Hearts. I think someone else may have mentioned this earllier in the thread, and it is something I agree with, Carol's whole life seemed to change from the moment she was struck by a bottle on the way to the semi final versus Celtic at Murrayfield. Clare will know better but from my point of view a happy, bubbly easy to like person started slipping away fron the things and people that meant an awful lot to her, it was a life changing moment. My condolences go to the family and friends and may she rest in peace.

Edited by portobellojambo1

Boris5115

Carol was an absolute gem of a woman who will be missed immensely. Always at the front of the Ardmillan behind Davey the driver keeping him right. 

Rest in peace Legend. 

trotter
4 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

As did Ian Black on here on THAT thread

RustyRightPeg
16 minutes ago, trotter said:

As did Ian Black on here on THAT thread

Which thread sorry? I'll go and have a look.

davemclaren
1 hour ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I was very sad to read Clare's post on Facebook last night, her Mum's passing is a sad loss to not only to Clare but the wider Hearts community. Has a lot of fun in Carol's company, both travelling to HMFC games with Portobello Hearts SC and downing some drinks up in Merchiston Hearts. I think someone else may have mentioned this earllier in the thread, and it is something I agree with, Carol's whole life seemed to change from the moment she was struck by a bottle on the way to the semi final versus Celtic at Murrayfield. Clare will know better but from my point of view a happy, bubbly easy to like person started slipping away fron the things and people that meant an awful lot to her, it was a life changing moment. My condolences go to the family and friends and may she rest in peace.

That bottle throwing incident was horrific and is the sort of thing that can easily drain someone's confidence.  Hopefully the perpetrator was caught and punished. 

Sad news that the lady has passed. 

been here before
6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

That bottle throwing incident was horrific and is the sort of thing that can easily drain someone's confidence.  Hopefully the perpetrator was caught and punished. 

Sad news that the lady has passed. 

Steven Mitchell from Ratho ordered to pay Mrs Cooper £2500.

Thats it.

davemclaren
8 minutes ago, been here before said:

Steven Mitchell from Ratho ordered to pay Mrs Cooper £2500.

Thats it.

Hmmm.