Cammy Devlin

Walter Kidd

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, RoiK said:

Devlin has some obvious limitations but there’s definitely a role for him in a squad that’s going to be hard-pressed next season what with the European ties coming thick and fast between the domestic commitments.

Although rather over-committed at times, he’s not the type to hide on big occasions.

Yesterday confirmed that there’s others in the current squad who cannot be relied upon to raise their game when it’s required and should not be first-picks.

Spot on 

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Chimp

• soonbe110

Robbo-Jambo

Wouldn't be arsed if Devlin, Benni and Grant left in the summer tbh.

TheBigO
8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The movement throughout the team is poor, the amount of times Forrest was glued to Tavernier when WE had the ball was nuts. 
But you need to moan at the manager too because he's the one screaming FORWARD at the midfield but Beni in general, they’re just doing the same.

I think you need dynamic midfield players in our league and his languid style gets exposed on such a big pitch. 
Cantwells movement is great, hopefully Dhanda can do the same for us. 

Yes, absolutely, very much looking forward to having Yan in our team.  Got a great feeling about him.  Hof is our box to box guy, really.  Was a big miss yesterday imo.  Kinda goes under the radar how important the lad has become to us.  He'll be even better next season too.  

Especially if Beni goes, we're still one midfielder light - a right ******* is what we need you feel.  Adding Spittal and Dhanda kind of sees us sorted on wings (tho I think Dhanda will play more centrally generally) with Forrest, Oda, Barrie, Vargas and even Cochrane able to play there.  Up front we're maybe one light, RB needs sorted.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yes, absolutely, very much looking forward to having Yan in our team.  Got a great feeling about him.  Hof is our box to box guy, really.  Was a big miss yesterday imo.  Kinda goes under the radar how important the lad has become to us.  He'll be even better next season too.  

Especially if Beni goes, we're still one midfielder light - a right ******* is what we need you feel.  Adding Spittal and Dhanda kind of sees us sorted on wings (tho I think Dhanda will play more centrally generally) with Forrest, Oda, Barrie, Vargas and even Cochrane able to play there.  Up front we're maybe one light, RB needs sorted.

I wouldn’t have Forrest anywhere near the team most weeks, hasn’t been criticised for not looking up and seeing Shankland showing where he wants the ball yesterday at 1-0. 
But yes a top class midfielder, rb and striker depending on what happens with Shankland. 

TheBigO
16 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I wouldn’t have Forrest anywhere near the team most weeks, hasn’t been criticised for not looking up and seeing Shankland showing where he wants the ball yesterday at 1-0. 
But yes a top class midfielder, rb and striker depending on what happens with Shankland. 

When he drove in on goal you mean?  Didn't see Shanks myself there, need to relook.  What I'd say about that incident and its a pattern with Forrest is one touch too many.  He generally needs to get his shot away a step earlier.  Always wants that extra steadier.  I like Forrest, really do, but yes that final moment is what holds him back.  Shame cos the rest of his game is very good and he's a real trier.

Hectormasson
34 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

totally...

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

When he drove in on goal you mean?  Didn't see Shanks myself there, need to relook.  What I'd say about that incident and its a pattern with Forrest is one touch too many.  He generally needs to get his shot away a step earlier.  Always wants that extra steadier.  I like Forrest, really do, but yes that final moment is what holds him back.  Shame cos the rest of his game is very good and he's a real trier.

Yes, the only thing he done yesterday.
He was sleeping at the 1st too. Plays with his head down and takes too many touches. A good honest trier but nothing more than a sub if we want to progress, theres a few players like that. 

Edited by Pasquale for King
Spelling

HopeDiouf
14 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

There a still on one of the threads that shows the moment he should've played it inside. Shanks unmarked with grant behind and Vargas overlapping 

Edited by HopeDiouf

upgotheheads
27 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I like Forrest but realistically he is a useful squad player at the level we aspire to, a bit like his elder brother at Celtic.  

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

I like Forrest but realistically he is a useful squad player at the level we aspire to, a bit like his elder brother at Celtic.  

Yup. A good option to have in the squad. Useful at getting us up the park. Does some of his best work as an impact sub.

buzzbomb1958
2 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

His brother is ten times the player he is

TheBigO
2 hours ago, HopeDiouf said:

image.png.5e8f0024981b826f0d3b0da675c0d54b.png

Ooft, yep.  Not easy at full pelt and as often the case with Forrest he made this situation himself.  Harder than it looks in a still pic.

But still.... ooft! Needs to do better is the real truth

TheBigO
2 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Absolutely.  Let's be honest I'm not sure any of us saw him playing as much as he has this season.  And he's done a good solid, honest job in general.  But yes, you'd hope with Dhanda, Barrie fit, Vargas and Oda with a year under their belts and Spittal, we've perhaps progressed in his areas of the pitch.  Tempted not to mention him, but if Tagawa clicks which perhaps is looking unlikely, he'd take away another spot from Forrest too (ie when he plays centrally)

Like him, and I like having guys like him at our club, but he just lacks that last 5% unfortunately.

FUnny mentioning his brother.  Was with a Celticy mate on Sat who was slagging him off and I was very much on the "you should ****ing adore that guy" train.  OK not flashy, not exciting as such, but he's given years of nothing less than 100% and been part of good teams for you, produced time and again.  Typical Celtic/Rangers not to appreciate a player like that imo.

soonbe110
17 hours ago, Carter said:

He's absolutely nowhere near the level required. Wouldn't be surprised if he is moved on. 

Heard today from what I'd consider a well connected individual to St Johnstone that we've definitely done a deal for Phillips. 

Hof and the two academy grads  likely to be the only current central midfielders still here at the start of next season. Haring, Beni, Devlin gone. Three midfielders already on their way in and if we are to step up a level quality wise we will be signing another 1/2 midfielders who are at a higher level than any we have just now or the ones signed on pre-contracts. 

soonbe110
4 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Phillips is that guy.  That’s why we have signed him. Allegedly.  Would be surprised if Cochrane is still here next season. Won’t have been happy he wasn’t involved yesterday, which was pretty strange, so it suggests to me something is going on. Will be interesting to see if he starts at Rugby Park. I’d think we will take the first decent offer for him from down south given he has only one year left. 

soonbe110

He has a choice of two or three to pass it to, all of whom were in better scoring positions than he was. Criminal, but consistent with previous games so shouldn’t be surprised. 

17 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Phillips is that guy.  That’s why we have signed him. Allegedly.  Would be surprised if Cochrane is still here next season. Won’t have been happy he wasn’t involved yesterday, which was pretty strange, so it suggests to me something is going on. Will be interesting to see if he starts at Rugby Park. I’d think we will take the first decent offer for him from down south given he has only one year left. 

Guy I know with solid links at St Johnsone says we've definitely signed Phillips. Just not sure that any of the guys we've signed on PCA so far raise the quality level materially. 

We probably need a couple of good fees for existing players to be able to refurb the squad with the quality required. Otherwise the next time we go to Hampden against Rangers it'll just be a carbon copy of the last 4 abject performances.

4 hours ago, HopeDiouf said:

image.png.5e8f0024981b826f0d3b0da675c0d54b.png

Forrest really does have to improve his ability to release in a timely manner. That gets shifted to Grant and he has a shot in a central area or he draws Souttar to slip Vargas in for a repeat finish at Morton as opposed to the numerous rash lashed attempts we've seen from him!

soonbe110
7 minutes ago, Carter said:

Guy I know with solid links at St Johnsone says we've definitely signed Phillips. Just not sure that any of the guys we've signed on PCA so far raise the quality level materially. 

We probably need a couple of good fees for existing players to be able to refurb the squad with the quality required. Otherwise the next time we go to Hampden against Rangers it'll just be a carbon copy of the last 4 abject performances.

I’m hoping they are mostly squad players to help with the extra euro games and the real  quality signings still to come. I agree that with possible exception of Dhanda they are only slight squad improvements so far  

Fozzyonthefence
38 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

With us playing a back 4 I don’t think it was strange at all as Kingsley is a better LB.  I think you’re right, if (and it could be a big if) we get a 7 figure offer then he’ll be away if he’s happy with the move.   It’s the one position we’re best covered for.

JudyJudyJudy

He’s a grafter , much like the missing in Action Alex Cochrane yesterday 

Not sure we have fully benefited from Devlins attributes as he has seldom played alongside a constructive midfielder. With the signing of Dhanda and Spittal, and the return of the Hoff, Devlin will be able to focus on winning the ball and then laying it off. There is no doubt the weakest part of his game is creativity but allowing him to focus on breaking up play and winning back the ball we could reap the rewards.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Carter said:

I think Dhanda seemed to have a great game against Rangers recently, something our current midfielders can rarely say. I also think Spittal is an upgrade on Forrest, can’t say Im convinced Phillips is better than our current options. 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Tiro said:

Not sure we have fully benefited from Devlins attributes as he has seldom played alongside a constructive midfielder. With the signing of Dhanda and Spittal, and the return of the Hoff, Devlin will be able to focus on winning the ball and then laying it off. There is no doubt the weakest part of his game is creativity but allowing him to focus on breaking up play and winning back the ball we could reap the rewards.

Spot on. I hope he stays but you never know. 

Pasquale for King

Ooft, yep.  Not easy at full pelt and as often the case with Forrest he made this situation himself.  Harder than it looks in a still pic.

But still.... ooft! Needs to do better is the real truth

At no point does he look up, the passes were on all the way until he shot. Criminal really. 

E954095E-C163-4B64-85E0-5F2A0B9AFFFF.jpeg

CFB2657E-6485-461B-8D62-1CF148DE40EA.jpeg

soonbe110
3 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

With us playing a back 4 I don’t think it was strange at all as Kingsley is a better LB.  I think you’re right, if (and it could be a big if) we get a 7 figure offer then he’ll be away if he’s happy with the move.   It’s the one position we’re best covered for.

Thought it strange that he wasn’t involved at all not that he didn’t start in a 4. I agree that Kingsley is the better left back.  
I think Cochrane should have been used as a sub near the end.  Probably instead of Tait. Has more experience and nouse about him. 

Watt-Zeefuik

Of all the things that happened yesterday, there was nothing wrong with the midfield. (Before someone goes, I'm not counting Grant as part of that.)

2 hours ago, Tiro said:

Unpopular opinion I guess but I think Spittal is headed to RWB for us.

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

At no point does he look up, the passes were on all the way until he shot. Criminal really. 

Its absolutely shocking. Just keeps running until he runs out of room. 

A half decent defender just needs to keep backing up and he'll eventually **** it up. 

Absolutely zero awareness. No point in having a striker if he's just going to ignore him. 

Not intending to sound dramatic, but at 27, if he doesn't have it in him to look up, he's not going to suddenly learn to start playing with his head up. The difference between how him and Barrie McKay play is stark. Barrie is always looking up, round, behind for options. The chance that Vargas ****ed IIRC it was brought about by McKay just being aware that Vargas was making a run. 

I think at a certain point, we need to concede that Forrest has gone as far as he can with us. If we can use him as a makeweight to get Danny Armstrong here, then we absolutely must do it. A club like Killie is probably his level. Better than Livi, worse than Hearts/ a team expecting 3rd. 

Greedy Jambo
3 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Of all the things that happened yesterday, there was nothing wrong with the midfield. (Before someone goes, I'm not counting Grant as part of that.)

Unpopular opinion I guess but I think Spittal is headed to RWB for us.

Defensively, there was big gaping holes in the midfield, offensively, Shankland and Vargas had no help, nothing to go on. 

Who was in midfield? Devlin. 

Greedy Jambo

People slag Rowles, at least he gets a game for Australia, Devlin no, why? because he's not good enough. 

Even Atkinson seems to get more game time for the Aussies, and he's murder. 

Luckies1874
18 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

That's utter nonsense but I'll attribute it to not seeing the full picture on the box. 

Edited by Luckies1874

5 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

He has a choice of two or three to pass it to, all of whom were in better scoring positions than he was. Criminal, but consistent with previous games so shouldn’t be surprised. 

Spot on. He's done it so many times - squandered fantastic opportunities through his own inability to be aware of where his teammates are. 

Based on his previous, if anything its our fault for expecting different. He's not a player that has a good football brain or composure in key moments. McKay would have saw those passes all day long for example. But, he also has previous of failing to measure up in big games. 

IMO having watched us all season, its hard to get away from the reality that Shankland is on another planet in terms of quality versus the rest of our attackers. We're not talking about him being a level or two above, its genuinely several. Take him out, and sub in a mediocre striker that maybe scores 10 a season. Forrest isn't adding anything extra to that attack. He's not 3rd place quality. 

Need to seriously be looking at options in the wide areas over the summer. McKay is about the only one that is first 11 quality. Oda does well from the bench, but not sure about his impact from the start in games. Need someone like Danny Armstrong or Luke McCowan. I'd love to get Scott Wright or Mikey Johnston but both outside of our wage bracket (and Johnston has already knocked us back). I've saw a few comments from Rangers fans about Wright, and it doesn't look like they rate him, although I think he's probably used to the Sevco megabucks. So won't be likely to entertain a decrease in wages that would likely come with a move here. 

No Idle Talk
1 hour ago, OTT said:

Spot on. He's done it so many times - squandered fantastic opportunities through his own inability to be aware of where his teammates are. 

Based on his previous, if anything its our fault for expecting different. He's not a player that has a good football brain or composure in key moments. McKay would have saw those passes all day long for example. But, he also has previous of failing to measure up in big games. 

IMO having watched us all season, its hard to get away from the reality that Shankland is on another planet in terms of quality versus the rest of our attackers. We're not talking about him being a level or two above, its genuinely several. Take him out, and sub in a mediocre striker that maybe scores 10 a season. Forrest isn't adding anything extra to that attack. He's not 3rd place quality. 

Need to seriously be looking at options in the wide areas over the summer. McKay is about the only one that is first 11 quality. Oda does well from the bench, but not sure about his impact from the start in games. Need someone like Danny Armstrong or Luke McCowan. I'd love to get Scott Wright or Mikey Johnston but both outside of our wage bracket (and Johnston has already knocked us back). I've saw a few comments from Rangers fans about Wright, and it doesn't look like they rate him, although I think he's probably used to the Sevco megabucks. So won't be likely to entertain a decrease in wages that would likely come with a move here. 

You've probably just described my dream summer transfer window there. If we got both of those guys I would be ecstatic. Both really good players. Joe Savage reckons Kilmarnock want north of £1million for Armstrong. So that immediately rules him out if true. I wonder how much Dundee would be seeking for McCowan? We should certainly be on the phone and asking the question.

Edited by No Idle Talk

Benny Klack
22 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Really 🤔 

Who are we replacing them with?

RustyRightPeg

Can tell Naismith finds him very difficult. I was watching him a number of times on Sunday. He pulled him for a chat when Sima was getting treatment trying to get his point across, Devlin then sprinted to take a quick throw in rather than letting Dexter take it, Naismith went mental. 

The midfield feels emptier with him in it by and large.

I love his enthusiasm, and love his passion, but he needs to reign it in tactically or he'll never be a fit for a Naismith midfield.

11 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

You've probably just described my dream summer transfer window there. If we got both of those guys I would be ecstatic. Both really good players. Joe Savage reckons Kilmarnock want north of £1million for Armstrong. So that immediately rules him out if true. I wonder how much Dundee would be seeking for McCowan? We should certainly be on the phone and asking the question.

image.png.becaa0b000cf9b164016fb7e8a72e22c.png

I've no doubt Killie wouldn't want to make it an easy transfer, but I think if we could stretch to that £600k (or less given he's in his final 12 months) and include a player going the other way, that might make things a lot easier. Alan Forrest for example, means Killie are replacing a winger with winger and have some cash in their pocket too. e.g. £450k + Forrest. That genuinely isn't a bad deal.. could have Forrest on a 3 year deal, and not have to go through the impending headache of replacing Armstrong next summer anyway!

I know there is that question of what if Forrest doesn't want to go, well I cannot see Naismith seeing him as a core part of his plans next season. He's not good enough and shouldn't be viewed as a starting 11 player. Even if it is a loan deal, or topping up his Killie wages. Plus, Killie isn't a bad move for him. He'd be playing top 6 football for a club that probably matches his quality rather than frustrating everyone and himself at Hearts. 

We spent around £400k on Kio and that was objectively a very poor decision. We spent a six figure fee on Tagawa.. I don't see the value in spending this kind of money on punts when we have an excellent option on our door step that would cost a little bit more. Surely better to spend the money and be confident in what we're getting?

Fozzyonthefence
15 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s a training ground 5 v 4 situation where we should be odds on to score but instead settle for a shot from a tight angle that he was never scoring from.  Mind you, I suppose it was better than the 4 v 3 we completely ****ed up in the 2nd half (Vargas?) when we didn’t even manage a shot or a pass!

Pasquale for King
Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

It’s a training ground 5 v 4 situation where we should be odds on to score but instead settle for a shot from a tight angle that he was never scoring from.  Mind you, I suppose it was better than the 4 v 3 we completely ****ed up in the 2nd half (Vargas?) when we didn’t even manage a shot or a pass!

I think its clear we need to work on that, or play guys who aren’t headless chickens who dont get their head up, but from what I’ve seen we do drills with metal dummies that dont move, when we should use the human dummies that barely move. 

jamboinglasgow
20 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Absolutely.  Let's be honest I'm not sure any of us saw him playing as much as he has this season.  And he's done a good solid, honest job in general.  But yes, you'd hope with Dhanda, Barrie fit, Vargas and Oda with a year under their belts and Spittal, we've perhaps progressed in his areas of the pitch.  Tempted not to mention him, but if Tagawa clicks which perhaps is looking unlikely, he'd take away another spot from Forrest too (ie when he plays centrally)

Like him, and I like having guys like him at our club, but he just lacks that last 5% unfortunately.

FUnny mentioning his brother.  Was with a Celticy mate on Sat who was slagging him off and I was very much on the "you should ****ing adore that guy" train.  OK not flashy, not exciting as such, but he's given years of nothing less than 100% and been part of good teams for you, produced time and again.  Typical Celtic/Rangers not to appreciate a player like that imo.

Start of the season I was not fussed if he left, but now I think he is a great squad player. He is never going to be an amazing finisher (he often makes the wrong decision) but is great spells earlier in the season demonstrated his worth, that he is very direct. And used well against some defences can cause problems.

Pasquale for King
13 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

People slag Rowles, at least he gets a game for Australia, Devlin no, why? because he's not good enough. 

Even Atkinson seems to get more game time for the Aussies, and he's murder. 

Cummings gets a game for Australia, they’re gash. 

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, OTT said:

image.png.becaa0b000cf9b164016fb7e8a72e22c.png

I've no doubt Killie wouldn't want to make it an easy transfer, but I think if we could stretch to that £600k (or less given he's in his final 12 months) and include a player going the other way, that might make things a lot easier. Alan Forrest for example, means Killie are replacing a winger with winger and have some cash in their pocket too. e.g. £450k + Forrest. That genuinely isn't a bad deal.. could have Forrest on a 3 year deal, and not have to go through the impending headache of replacing Armstrong next summer anyway!

I know there is that question of what if Forrest doesn't want to go, well I cannot see Naismith seeing him as a core part of his plans next season. He's not good enough and shouldn't be viewed as a starting 11 player. Even if it is a loan deal, or topping up his Killie wages. Plus, Killie isn't a bad move for him. He'd be playing top 6 football for a club that probably matches his quality rather than frustrating everyone and himself at Hearts. 

We spent around £400k on Kio and that was objectively a very poor decision. We spent a six figure fee on Tagawa.. I don't see the value in spending this kind of money on punts when we have an excellent option on our door step that would cost a little bit more. Surely better to spend the money and be confident in what we're getting?

Definitely worth asking about, not sure Mcinnes would want Forrest either tbh. 

Pasquale for King
13 hours ago, OTT said:

Its absolutely shocking. Just keeps running until he runs out of room. 

A half decent defender just needs to keep backing up and he'll eventually **** it up. 

Absolutely zero awareness. No point in having a striker if he's just going to ignore him. 

Not intending to sound dramatic, but at 27, if he doesn't have it in him to look up, he's not going to suddenly learn to start playing with his head up. The difference between how him and Barrie McKay play is stark. Barrie is always looking up, round, behind for options. The chance that Vargas ****ed IIRC it was brought about by McKay just being aware that Vargas was making a run. 

I think at a certain point, we need to concede that Forrest has gone as far as he can with us. If we can use him as a makeweight to get Danny Armstrong here, then we absolutely must do it. A club like Killie is probably his level. Better than Livi, worse than Hearts/ a team expecting 3rd. 

Yeah hes not good enough and really shouldn’t have been given an extension, unless we were hoping to use him as a makeweight in a deal for Armstrong 🤞

Pasquale for King
13 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

That's utter nonsense but I'll attribute it to not seeing the full picture on the box. 

It is nonsense, Beni was nowhere near Cantwell the whole game. 

Fozzyonthefence
8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think its clear we need to work on that, or play guys who aren’t headless chickens who dont get their head up, but from what I’ve seen we do drills with metal dummies that dont move, when we should use the human dummies that barely move. 

That’s no way to talk about some of our players!  Actually, it’s fair in some cases!

13 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Defensively, there was big gaping holes in the midfield, offensively, Shankland and Vargas had no help, nothing to go on. 

Who was in midfield? Devlin. 

Devlin has his shortcomings but you need to look at the performances of. Beni, Grant and Forrest when dishing out criticism. The midfield fell short as a collective and would have benefited from Cochrane's presence. It was always clear that man for man our midfield was short on strength and drive. This is not based on hindsight as I made the same comment on posts days before the game.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

That’s no way to talk about some of our players!  Actually, it’s fair in some cases!

If we were going to try and steal the ball off them in their half then these drills needed to be spot on, as those two situations and others showed we really didn’t seem to know what to do. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, Tiro said:

Devlin has his shortcomings but you need to look at the performances of. Beni, Grant and Forrest when dishing out criticism. The midfield fell short as a collective and would have benefited from Cochrane's presence. It was always clear that man for man our midfield was short on strength and drive. This is not based on hindsight as I made the same comment on posts days before the game.

Spot on 

RustyRightPeg
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It is nonsense, Beni was nowhere near Cantwell the whole game. 

On the same merit, Cantwell was nowhere near Beni the whole game either. He had the freedom of the middle of the park most of the time.

Was a strange game. Absolutely no quality in it, two mistakes costing goals.

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

On the same merit, Cantwell was nowhere near Beni the whole game either. He had the freedom of the middle of the park most of the time.

Was a strange game. Absolutely no quality in it, two mistakes costing goals.

Yeah and one made two goals and other chances, one done nothing of note, again.

Edited by Pasquale for King