SFA Head of Referees stepping down

kila

On 18/03/2024 at 13:12, RustyRightPeg said:

I'd propose a merger with the English Ref union personally. 

That would be fantastic. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65458307

"In Scotland, you have one observer, who gives a mark to a referee based on his performance," he explained.

In England, you have an assessor, who gives 20% towards your overall mark. Another 40% is a panel who look at each key match decision. The other 40% is split between the two clubs."

IMO - England system sounds far better. He seems to be saying that the clubs having a say is a bad thing because it makes the referee tone down their decision making, but I'd call bullshit. It gives clubs a voice if the referee has been shocking, and there have been multiple games this season/last season etc. where both managers have been left equally bewildered with the official. There should be scope to make feelings heard in an official way that can help stack up against an inept referee. 

You want a system which relies on multiple different points of view, the English system achieves that, the Scottish system doesn't. We badly need a more robust system which maximises an outcome where officials become better at their jobs - I can't honestly say any referee in Scotland has improved. Collum is still making the same errors he made 10+ years ago for example. 

IMO Madden didn't like that he wasn't being reviewed by his weegie pals. 

PortyBeach
On 18/03/2024 at 13:03, kila said:

The Scottish FA can confirm that Crawford Allan will leave his position as Head of Referee Operations at the end of this season.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/crawford-allan-to-step-down-as-head-of-referee-operations/?rid=14258

The timing is certainly interesting following the SFA’s decision to target Brendan Rodgers after his comments re Beaton and his VAR intervention.

Has Allan perhaps jumped because he reckons that under closer investigation, Beaton’s involvement will render the sustainability of the SFA charge against Rodgers…dubious?

Hardly surprising Allan might want to distance himself from the suggestion some of his officials might be less than impartial.

Ian Black 8
On 20/03/2024 at 09:56, davemclaren said:

Is that what most ex and current players think ?

Aye Dave it is mate.. alot of current n ex pro’s think the layout of the league is boring n outdated I would prefer a bigger league am no sure about the playoff for relegation either as for the refs a lot of players just know what to expect with certain ones but the amount of apologies n wrong decisions this season is laughable 

Deevers
10 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

The timing is certainly interesting following the SFA’s decision to target Brendan Rodgers after his comments re Beaton and his VAR intervention.

Has Allan perhaps jumped because he reckons that under closer investigation, Beaton’s involvement will render the sustainability of the SFA charge against Rodgers…dubious?

Hardly surprising Allan might want to distance himself from the suggestion some of his officials might be less than impartial.

I have a feeling that Allan is removing himself from the circus. I’ve no doubt that he has tried to bring some sanity to the ever evolving madness that comes out of Hampden.  He’s not part of the weegie gang and he’ll be replaced by someone from that neck of the woods. As for Rodgers the SFA will press ahead with this. They have to as folding would lead to this allegation being made over and over again.  We all know that the impartiality of quite a few of the SFAs finest is well, questionable to say the least. Rodgers will get a slap on the wrist for his comments, anyone else would be well and truly roasted.

Edited by Deevers
Typo

10 hours ago, Ian Black 8 said:

Aye Dave it is mate.. alot of current n ex pro’s think the layout of the league is boring n outdated I would prefer a bigger league am no sure about the playoff for relegation either as for the refs a lot of players just know what to expect with certain ones but the amount of apologies n wrong decisions this season is laughable 

So a lot of players and fans both want change. Sad that we're stuck with the status quo that really only benefits two clubs in Glasgow.

Ex players might be the catalyst though, a united front with the fans for a better league and referee quality.

PortyBeach
On 22/03/2024 at 08:35, Deevers said:

I have a feeling that Allan is removing himself from the circus. I’ve no doubt that he has tried to bring some sanity to the ever evolving madness that comes out of Hampden.  He’s not part of the weegie gang and he’ll be replaced by someone from that neck of the woods. As for Rodgers the SFA will press ahead with this. They have to as folding would lead to this allegation being made over and over again.  We all know that the impartiality of quite a few of the SFAs finest is well, questionable to say the least. Rodgers will get a slap on the wrist for his comments, anyone else would be well and truly roasted.

The “hearing” is next Thursday, I believe.

It’ll be interesting to see how things turn out.

I suspect the SFA will already realise they’re on dodgy ground and that Rodgers will, as you say, merely get a “slap on the wrist” as a result…

39 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

The “hearing” is next Thursday, I believe.

It’ll be interesting to see how things turn out.

I suspect the SFA will already realise they’re on dodgy ground and that Rodgers will, as you say, merely get a “slap on the wrist” as a result…

Last I read it was 28th of March this year. 

He's been head of referees since 2020 and I can't honestly say there have been any improvements at all. 

I mean, when an organisation has a very bad culture (like only promoting essentially weegies) then changing that is going to be difficult. But I'm not sure there is any evidence he even tried. Standards have continued to decline, and the implementation of VAR and lack of accountability for clear and obvious errors from VAR have been serious issues. 

The head of referees should be external and they should come in with a clear remit. Would go so far as to say that they should be appointed by the clubs. Someone neutral that can come and have meaningful areas to improve rather than just tend the wheel. 

Deevers
6 minutes ago, OTT said:

He's been head of referees since 2020 and I can't honestly say there have been any improvements at all. 

I mean, when an organisation has a very bad culture (like only promoting essentially weegies) then changing that is going to be difficult. But I'm not sure there is any evidence he even tried. Standards have continued to decline, and the implementation of VAR and lack of accountability for clear and obvious errors from VAR have been serious issues. 

The head of referees should be external and they should come in with a clear remit. Would go so far as to say that they should be appointed by the clubs. Someone neutral that can come and have meaningful areas to improve rather than just tend the wheel. 

If they had had any ambition to improve things after Dallas’s demise, that was the time to appoint someone from outside the country. They didn’t and that speaks volumes for me. We had John Fleming and then Allan none of whom improved anything. The same over  promoting of poor officials from West Coast Associations. What goes on only suits two clubs and that’s why the toys go out of the pram when things don’t go their way. The whole system needs dismantled and an outsider brought in to recast things. 

The Treasurer

On a different note.

Since the SPFL "refused" to give in to sevco's demand that Collum doesn't referee any of their games, he has not had one of their league games and has only been in charge of their cup match against Ayr which was never going to be any more than a training session 

Horatio Caine
36 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

On a different note.

Since the SPFL "refused" to give in to sevco's demand that Collum doesn't referee any of their games, he has not had one of their league games and has only been in charge of their cup match against Ayr which was never going to be any more than a training session 

I see Don Robertson has been given the Livi v Celtic match at the weekend.  That should be interesting as it will come right after Brenda's hearing for the comments he made after Robertson's reffing of our match against them.

Deevers

Well, there we are called it spot on. A one match ban for Rodgers. I think we all know whst the outcome would have been for anyone outwith the Old Filth. The SFA are a complete joke.

pettigrewsstylist

Games a bogey. Torch the village or forget any progressive change.

They dont even bother hiding it anymore.