SFA Head of Referees stepping down

kila

RustyRightPeg

Can only be a good thing.

Whole thing needs a re-jig. They need refs to go full time as a starting point.

2 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

It'll be more jobs for the boys. Don't think we'll see any radical change unfortunately.

Willie Collum will probably get it if he's close to retiring.

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, kila said:

It'll be more jobs for the boys. Don't think we'll see any radical change unfortunately.

I'd propose a merger with the English Ref union personally. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

He is an Aberdeen fan. replaced by an OF one, careful what you wish for

Bull's-eye

"This will coincide with a planned review of the operational priorities of the department based on the insights to date from VAR implementation, as well as feedback from The Rangers, Celtic, Category One Match Officials and VAR operators, the Scottish FA’s Professional Game Board, the SPFL’s Competitions Working Group and the Independent Review Panel."

ginger jambo98
25 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Sadly this is my take on it too.

Oda be a JT
7 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

"This will coincide with a planned review of the operational priorities of the department based on the insights to date from VAR implementation, as well as feedback from The Rangers, Celtic, Category One Match Officials and VAR operators, the Scottish FA’s Professional Game Board, the SPFL’s Competitions Working Group and the Independent Review Panel."

“The Rangers” 🤣 

Chuck Berry

I hate to slag referees, they have a difficult job and we need them otherwise we don't have a game. There's already a shortage of them at lower levels in Scotland.

However, the VAR introduction has been a complete clusterf*ck, and Allan carries the can on that.

PapaShango

The refereeing in this country needs a complete overhaul, standards of officiating are so poor right across the board. Not one week goes by without some sort of horrific decision. I seen the penalty ICT got at the weekend and it beggars belief what refs are looking at half the time. 

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Looking forward to a jobshare betweeen Peter Grant and Barry Ferguson.

Brilliant 

1 hour ago, kila said:

Celtic would be happy with that outcome. Hopefully the SFA consult with Celtic before they decide on the successful candidate. Better still, Lawwell can tell them who's getting the job. 

Japan Jambo
1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

PMSL, I actually went to check that in the statement, given the way the game is managed in Scotland it's got more than a hint of truth to it!!

HeartsandonlyHearts

Absolutely amazing piece of info.

Who else among us always assumed we had no head of referees?

Bindy Badgy
2 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

"This will coincide with a planned review of the operational priorities of the department based on the insights to date from VAR implementation, as well as feedback from The The Rangers, Celtic, Category One Match Officials and VAR operators, the Scottish FA’s Professional Game Board, the SPFL’s Competitions Working Group and the Independent Review Panel."

FYP

2 minutes ago, alicante jambo said:

Will be ian brines. Another prick.

Hates us doesn't he, my memories of him are sketchy but I doubt they're positive 

alicante jambo
24 minutes ago, WDJ87 said:

Hates us doesn't he, my memories of him are sketchy but I doubt they're positive 

No he hates us mate. Him or dallas would fit right in. Its rigged fi top to bottom. Mind ot was brines that sent off zaliukas when a sheep player stuck the head on him.

Seymour M Hersh
5 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I'd propose a merger with the English Ref union personally. 

They're just as ****ing awful.

RustyRightPeg
46 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

They're just as ****ing awful.

They’re full time and have a miles better infrastructure. Night and day compared to what we offer. 

Seymour M Hersh
11 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

They’re full time and have a miles better infrastructure. Night and day compared to what we offer. 

True but ask any EPL fans and they'll complain just as much as we do about their full-time  professional twats. 

Bazzas right boot

Football refs in general are dicks, or appear to be.

Some appear to reveal in the attention and just come across as arrogant. The don't communicate or act in a positive way.

The rules are also shite, the handball rule is an abomination.

Players also don't help and are still encouraged to cheat,  for example  - exaggerate a tackle to get a player booked or sent off and to "win" a penalty.

The rules don't properly deal with this yet.

Football is actually in a bad place from a sportsmanship point of view compared to other sports, it's the only sport were cheating is tolerated on a large scale and the crowding in terms of shouting at officials.

Var is good, it gets more right than wrong  but the slowing down and use of still images irk me, it's not a true representation of any incident,especially tackles and if the decision time is taking 2/3 mins plus- then is it clear and obvious?

I also think the challenge set up like in Tennis removes  a lot, if not all the  pressure, decision making ( when it's used) from the officials and therefor perceived bias by fans and managers  when var is used , it puts accountability on the teams when it's used- or not.

The " why did they check that incident but not that  one" debate is removed.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

19 hours ago, kila said:

The Scottish FA can confirm that Crawford Allan will leave his position as Head of Referee Operations at the end of this season.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/crawford-allan-to-step-down-as-head-of-referee-operations/?rid=14258

The cynic in me would suggest that they will look for ways of keeping the old firm happier . More decisions are going against them and they are under serious pressure because of it . Essentially this is them trying to find a way to get it back the previous nice cozy little arrangement that brought us such classics as Davis , Brines and McDonald 

Deevers

The SFA rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic yet again. What’s needed is a complete sea change in the whole organisation. One that sees people get to the top based on ability and not on what West Coast Referees Association they are part of.  Crawford  Allan is by all accounts a nice guy  but not what was needed to head up that department. Perhaps the SFA should think about bringing a head of that department in from outwith Scotland who can look at what needs to be done and act dispassionately on sorting out the mess. I fear we will land up with someone like Ian Brines in the job. 

Armageddon

Now the OF are so desperate to get to England that they should drive a merger with the English referee team, use us as a feeder system for the big league down there..... but they won't, as they couldn't control them :)  (I know there's more to it than that).

John Findlay

I wonder if Hugh Dallas will leave his post abroad now?

kingantti1874

Too weak to manage the old firm. However worryingly I only see it getting worse 

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/craig-beattie-lands-key-sfa-28845123

Craig Beattie has been appointed as "player liaison" to club captains regarding referee and VAR feedback after it was confirmed that Crawford Allan would leave his post as head of referee operations.

The former Celtic and Hearts striker has been appointed in order to gauge player opinions on how the technology is being run by officials in the country. It comes after Allan revealed he'd step down at the end of the season amid a number of controversies surrounding the tech over the course of two seasons.

The Scottish Sun report that during crunch talks on Sunday afternoon there were "raised voices" during a "stormy" meeting involving Ian Maxwell and chief governance officer Gary Booth. The news was then released about Allan and his plans.

Beattie, who has been working with the PFA, was then announced as liaison as they felt it was important for players to have a say during the shakeup.

PFA Scotland chief Fraser Wishart said: “We feel it’s absolutely vital that players’ views on VAR are taken into consideration. Since it was introduced the players haven’t been asked what their views on it are, so we’re going to go ahead and do it and feed the responses back to the SFA."

It comes after Maxwell, the SFA supremo, demanded an end to "convenient" blame being put upon referees and VAR by managers and fans.

21 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

through a mate that knows him I was led to believe that he's actually a jambo, leaving due to being utterly hamstrung by the SFA and the ref's associations when trying to make any kind of changes

Second part is on the money, we'll 100% get someone west coast that will maintain the status quo

Bull's-eye
50 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/craig-beattie-lands-key-sfa-28845123

Craig Beattie has been appointed as "player liaison" to club captains regarding referee and VAR feedback after it was confirmed that Crawford Allan would leave his post as head of referee operations.

The former Celtic and Hearts striker has been appointed in order to gauge player opinions on how the technology is being run by officials in the country. It comes after Allan revealed he'd step down at the end of the season amid a number of controversies surrounding the tech over the course of two seasons.

The Scottish Sun report that during crunch talks on Sunday afternoon there were "raised voices" during a "stormy" meeting involving Ian Maxwell and chief governance officer Gary Booth. The news was then released about Allan and his plans.

Beattie, who has been working with the PFA, was then announced as liaison as they felt it was important for players to have a say during the shakeup.

PFA Scotland chief Fraser Wishart said: “We feel it’s absolutely vital that players’ views on VAR are taken into consideration. Since it was introduced the players haven’t been asked what their views on it are, so we’re going to go ahead and do it and feed the responses back to the SFA."

It comes after Maxwell, the SFA supremo, demanded an end to "convenient" blame being put upon referees and VAR by managers and fans.

Making it up as they go along then.

Who would have thought it.

Any problems, hire a liason officer :rofl:

The crux of the problem, the guy appointed to run VAR can't do it. Mitigating factors being a lack of cameras, stupid rules & clear and obvious bias from the majority of the referees implementing the flawed system.

All added together= The Rangers & Celtic firing off statements and open letters.

Little wonder Allan says thankyou and goodbye.

Never mind though, we have a solution that always works.

Hire a liason officer :rofl:

9 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Making it up as they go along then.

Who would have thought it.

Any problems, hire a liason officer :rofl:

The crux of the problem, the guy appointed to run VAR can't do it. Mitigating factors being a lack of cameras, stupid rules & clear and obvious bias from the majority of the referees implementing the flawed system.

All added together= The Rangers & Celtic firing off statements and open letters.

Little wonder Allan says thankyou and goodbye.

Never mind though, we have a solution that always works.

Hire a liason officer :rofl:

Correct, it's a nonsense, use the money we are paying for the liaison officer to correct the disparity in the number of cameras at each ground and update the brief for the VAR officials so there job is that they have 90 seconds to provide conclusive video evidence that contradicts the on field decision which not only stops the nonsense 4, 5, 6 minute delays but also puts the onus onto the on field officials to make a decision. 

While they are at it update 3 rules

Offside - change so that you are only offside when every part of your body is past any part of the last defender

Handball - regardless of body shape or where your arm is in relation to your body, if it is ball to hand from less than 5 yards then it's not handball, only when the arm makes a conscious movement towards the ball is it then handball

fouls/diving - if the attacking player deliberately initiates the contact whilst not playing the ball i.e stepping across the defender and not following the path of the ball then it's a free kick to the defender and a yellow card for simulation

Ginger God
46 minutes ago, Ribble said:

through a mate that knows him I was led to believe that he's actually a jambo, leaving due to being utterly hamstrung by the SFA and the ref's associations when trying to make any kind of changes

Second part is on the money, we'll 100% get someone west coast that will maintain the status quo

Don't even need a mate to confirm that Crawford is a Hearts fan...we sat next to each other in the old main stand for years. 

Ginger God

Don't even need a mate to confirm that Crawford is a Hearts fan..we sat next to each other in the old main stand for years.

queensferryjambo

The top flight refs in Scotland have carved up quite a lucrative gig and the cartel members then pick the next set of refs.

Am I correct in saying almost every top flight match is refereed by referees from 3 or 4 of the refereeing regions in Scotland?

From what I am aware they are all from Glasgow, Renfrewshire, Lanarkshire & Ayrshire refereeing regions with few exceptions.

There are 12 refereeing regions in Scotland and until top flight referees are selected from all 12 we all know that the 4 regions mentioned are hardly going to be fans of Dunfermline, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs etc

Why are the other 8 regions of refs destined to referee lower league games if they are lucky?

I wonder how the referees from the other regions feel when they see terrible referees fast tracked through the ranks to officiate top flight, European and International fixtures being paid top dollar, going on loads of jollies thanks to nepotism. 

Edit:

This may be an older article but ex Referee James Bee pretty much speaks about a few of the items I have said here - 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/16114571.investigation-referees-blow-whistle-unrest/

Edited by queensferryjambo
Adding link to an article.

Kjell Olofsson

Stepping down? It's a pity he hadn't stepped up in the first place! Hopeless!

August Landmesser
22 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

Are they also appointing a Fan Liaison Officer to discuss the consequences of VAR, or are they perfectly happy just taking our money and telling us all to fk off?

Deevers
9 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

The top flight refs in Scotland have carved up quite a lucrative gig and the cartel members then pick the next set of refs.

Am I correct in saying almost every top flight match is refereed by referees from 3 or 4 of the refereeing regions in Scotland?

From what I am aware they are all from Glasgow, Renfrewshire, Lanarkshire & Ayrshire refereeing regions with few exceptions.

There are 12 refereeing regions in Scotland and until top flight referees are selected from all 12 we all know that the 4 regions mentioned are hardly going to be fans of Dunfermline, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs etc

Why are the other 8 regions of refs destined to referee lower league games if they are lucky?

I wonder how the referees from the other regions feel when they see terrible referees fast tracked through the ranks to officiate top flight, European and International fixtures being paid top dollar, going on loads of jollies thanks to nepotism. 

Edit:

This may be an older article but ex Referee James Bee pretty much speaks about a few of the items I have said here - 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/16114571.investigation-referees-blow-whistle-unrest/

Nothings changed.  Crawford  Allan is a nice guy and I don't doubt that he’s tried to instigate change but the vested interested inside the SFA ensure that things don’t change.

Ian Black 8

The whole structure of Scottish football needs a reshuffle… from the referees right down to the league being expanded 

davemclaren
8 minutes ago, Ian Black 8 said:

The whole structure of Scottish football needs a reshuffle… from the referees right down to the league being expanded 

Is that what most ex and current players think ?

Tommy Brown
22 hours ago, Ginger God said:

Don't even need a mate to confirm that Crawford is a Hearts fan..we sat next to each other in the old main stand for years.

He is a good guy, I attended an International with him. Always helpful in refereeing and never the slightest bit aloof.

Total opposite to Mr D.McDonald, when I had the misfortune of meeting him.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
23 hours ago, Ribble said:

His dad is a jambo, I knew his golf partner for some time

Ex member of the SaS

Phil three names is suggesting he has stepped down due to Celtic getting lawyers to fight Brenda's case. However what he and Celtic seem to miss is this is not about Brenda calling the refs out, but because he used words that the rules specifically mention should not be used.

No matter how many lawyers they get they can't get round the fact he used those specific words.

chrystaf

And Craig Beattie has been appointed Player Liaison Officer to deal with VAR/referees contentious decisions.

He can start by asking why Shanks diving appeal was thrown out. 

Jamboref51

As an amateur ref Crawford Allan was the most communative head we've had for ages. Everything was filtered down to the public park refs.  Hope the replacement continues with this approach. 

At my level VAR can be handy for myself in explaining a decision. For example I've denied a few free kicks and pks this season for the same kind of incident as the first old firm match when the attacker got his leg in front of the defender in mid swing for the ball to clear it. Also similar to the penalty Celtic got a few ago against us tho. Gave a penalty on Saturday saying everyone knows what handball is now . We see it every week. In that respect the freezeframes and re runs of the incident on a loop re enforce why it's given,whether u agree or not.  On a public park that's about as good as you can get from a red with no assistants,cameras etc

On the downside I can't help notice that the games I ref are now different from those on the TV with the long pauses in play etc .Find this quite sad as I've never noticed that before on 23 years of reffing.

Lord Montpelier

Worked with Crawford before he went into the ref operations role, decent lad, shame to see him go