Communication on the pitch

Jim_Duncan

3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Not Bias, I've watched him for 2 seasons and he's poor.

He's a poor defender and makes mistakes.

Rowles can be weak at times, but is improving, but he's excellent in the tackle and blocking, he also has decent pace.

Kinglsey is similar, maybe  better at carrying the ball.

Kent has poor distribution,  but is strong and a good defender.

Halkett when fit is strong in the air and is a bit like Kent.

Sibbick has good pace and technique,  but is weak in the air, lacks awareness and concentration and makes costly mistakes far too often.

Had that opinion for a season now.

It's likley why Sibbick is only used when other players are injured.

Sibbick has the best distribution out of any of our defenders. You are right he does make mistakes, but no less than player like Souttar. I have seen signs of improvement, he is stronger in the air and in the tackle. Wouldn’t want him playing CB but he can do a job.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• McCrae

• Bongo 1874

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Stop with Sibbick is a holding midfielder. He has just simply not got it. No amount of coaching is going to help him. We need to part ways. 

That's the reality of the situation. The Blackpool offer of a year ago will never be replicated. 

He'll be one of a few actively encouraged to move in in the close season.

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Yep. He's a goalkeeping master. He should be in from now til the end. 

Mate, Clark should have held the 1st  shot or at least got it around the post. If he didn't manage that, he should have given Toby a shout or, got up quickly enough for the 2nd shot. 

Toby got robbed and could have shielded it better but tbh, I think he's fouled or Murray plays the ball with his hand. Before that, Sibbick was having a great game. 

But how many times has Clark done this? At his near post or palmed one back into danger. 

Aye, good shot stopper at times, decent solid keeper , a great game last week but we're not conceding that with big Craig in goals, Gordon probably gets a hand on the 2nd one as well. 

Mince in goal and a ****ing wagyu steak wasting away on the bench. 

I agree Clark should have done better with the first shot.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Sibbick has the best distribution out of any of our defenders. You are right he does make mistakes, but no less than player like Souttar. I have seen signs of improvement, he is stronger in the air and in the tackle. Wouldn’t want him playing CB but he can do a job.

He's a poor ch and not good enough to play anywhere else that would improve us.

11 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

He's a poor ch and not good enough to play anywhere else that would improve us.

I disagree. His performances against Celtic and Morton makes it clear he can do a job for us. 
He is a far better player than Atkinson. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, McCrae said:

I disagree. His performances against Celtic and Morton makes it clear he can do a job for us. 
He is a far better player than Atkinson. 

He's on par with Aki imo, neither are good enough to be 1st choice.

I'm going in 2 years of performances, not the last fortnight either.

Unless Sibbick improves significantly,  he'll continue to be used sparingly like he has under Bob and now Naismith.

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

He's on par with Aki imo, neither are good enough to be 1st choice.

I'm going in 2 years of performances, not the last fortnight either.

Unless Sibbick improves significantly,  he'll continue to be used sparingly like he has under Bob and now Naismith.

We need to look at how he has progressed, and he is clearly better now than he was when he first came to the club. He has improved under Naismith and could improve further.

He is the fastest defender at the club and is the best passer of the ball. He brings something different to the team. 
Big differences between him and Atkinson is that Atkinson isnt showing any signs of improvement and that he doesn’t bring something to the team that other players can’t provide.

RustyRightPeg
5 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Sibbick didn't play in the game away against Rangers,so what was the problem that day.

The boy is right.

The players need to talk far more in games.

And take responsibility.

Your boy Sibbick the greatest cb and CDM in Scottish football doesn’t have the awareness to clear the ball in his own 6 yard box. Unforgivable and another strike against him. He’ll be gone thankfully in the summer. 

hearts00
45 minutes ago, McCrae said:

It’s annoying because he has a lot of positive attributes. But he foes not have the instinct nor mentality and I just dont think he will gain these qualities. 

Sibbick doesn’t suffer from a lack of communication, rather a lack of his own concentration.

He’s had plenty chances but never been a reliable starter because the mistakes are never far away. See the excellent Celtic performance followed by the howler yesterday as a prime example. 

When is that going to improve? It’s been two years now. You can talk about moving him to RB and CDM all you like, his concentration levels will still be his undoing 

Bazzas right boot
32 minutes ago, McCrae said:

We need to look at how he has progressed, and he is clearly better now than he was when he first came to the club. He has improved under Naismith and could improve further.

He is the fastest defender at the club and is the best passer of the ball. He brings something different to the team. 
Big differences between him and Atkinson is that Atkinson isnt showing any signs of improvement and that he doesn’t bring something to the team that other players can’t provide.

He's not the best passer of the ball and speed is useless in football without ability.

Thankfully he only plays if we have injuries and we have not needed to rely on Sibbick for a long period, unlike last season. 

Also Aki is still a better rb than Sibbick despite his limitations, although there is a debate to be had there.

Sibbick hasn't been trusted by either of the last two managers to be starter ahead of others at cb or rb.

If Sibbick was as good as a few on here believe, he'd have nailed down the rb slot and we wouldn't have to have got Dexter or even used Kingsley at rb recently- that is how low down the pecking order he is at rb, Kingsley is prefered over him.

He's not trusted.

Sibbick is a nice guy and he is fast, he's just not very good.

Shame.

chrystaf
1 hour ago, McCrae said:

I agree Clark should have done better with the first shot.

And he should have been up and out to pounce on the second when he saw Sibbick was in trouble.  Go would. 

chrystaf
7 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

He's not the best passer of the ball and speed is useless in football without ability.

Thankfully he only plays if we have injuries and we have not needed to rely on Sibbick for a long period, unlike last season. 

Also Aki is still a better rb than Sibbick despite his limitations, although there is a debate to be had there.

Sibbick hasn't been trusted by either of the last two managers to be starter ahead of others at cb or rb.

If Sibbick was as good as a few on here believe, he'd have nailed down the rb slot and we wouldn't have to have got Dexter or even used Kingsley at rb recently- that is how low down the pecking order he is at rb, Kingsley is prefered over him.

He's not trusted.

Shame.

If only he would cut out the brain farts.  His game and distribution prior to the goal was excellent and reminded me of Soutar, spraying  inch  perfect long balls to Forrest. 

Robbo-Jambo
3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Yep. He's a goalkeeping master. He should be in from now til the end. 

Mate, Clark should have held the 1st  shot or at least got it around the post. If he didn't manage that, he should have given Toby a shout or, got up quickly enough for the 2nd shot. 

Toby got robbed and could have shielded it better but tbh, I think he's fouled or Murray plays the ball with his hand. Before that, Sibbick was having a great game. 

But how many times has Clark done this? At his near post or palmed one back into danger. 

Aye, good shot stopper at times, decent solid keeper , a great game last week but we're not conceding that with big Craig in goals, Gordon probably gets a hand on the 2nd one as well. 

Mince in goal and a ****ing wagyu steak wasting away on the bench. 

Yip, he needs to get Craig back in now .

He is a better goalkeeper, plain and simple .

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

If only he would cut out the brain farts.  His game and distribution prior to the goal was excellent and reminded me of Soutar, spraying  inch  perfect long balls to Forrest. 

He's not tho, and he's still not aggressive or commanding enough.

He reminds me of that Clare in a way.

Has the physical side, has technique and passing ability, a bit composure as well , but is weak mentally in regards to confidence,  positioning,  awareness,  concentration,  decisions and is prone to brain farts.

Sibbick is good if he's not defending or under pressure.

The rb slot was up for grabs this season, neither Aki or Sibbick have done enough to nail it down.

The fact Kingsley was used as rb over Sibbick recently gives a clear indication of where Naismith sees Sibbick in the pecking order. 

Gundermann
53 minutes ago, liam11 said:

Sibbick doesn’t suffer from a lack of communication, rather a lack of his own concentration.

He’s had plenty chances but never been a reliable starter because the mistakes are never far away. See the excellent Celtic performance followed by the howler yesterday as a prime example. 

When is that going to improve? It’s been two years now. You can talk about moving him to RB and CDM all you like, his concentration levels will still be his undoing 

I blame the Ultras who were fairly close. A loud cry of "Wake up Toby! It's defending time" would've done the trick.

davemclaren
51 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

I blame the Ultras who were fairly close. A loud cry of "Wake up Toby! It's defending time" would've done the trick.

Could be on to something. 😎

2 hours ago, McCrae said:

Got to take issue with that - Souttar was one of the most well rounded and consistent CBs we'd had in years. 

Its a bridge too far for me with Sibbick now. Can't keep going on like this where we're just waiting on the next game killing error. 

Every player makes mistakes, but he's got a list of high profile and costly errors. I cannot try and kid myself on that his ability on the ball is worth conceding nonsense goals because of his inability to clear his lines or even learn from his errors. We're not a team that score high volumes of goals either, so conceding avoidable goals is absolutely a killer for us. 

What happened against County? He tried to overplay the ball in a dangerous area instead of hooking it clear or knocking it out. What happened against Hibs in the Scottish cup semi final? He overplayed the ball in a dangerous area instead of hooking it clear or knocking it out. He's not learning from his mistakes. 

He's an arse that isn't a young laddie anymore. 24 is old enough to know when to clear your lines. Sick of it. 

Famous 1874

Sibbick is absolutely shite. Bin in the summer along with Atkinson.  

I think Sibbick is typical of the modern day defender, their first instinct isn’t to defend its all about playing the ball out, a pass or a run. Guys like Kent and Halkett think defend first fancy shite second. Yesterday Sibbick is thinking about controlling the ball to play it out, what he should be thinking is get it away either a corner or smash it anywhere away from goal. 

2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I think Sibbick is typical of the modern day defender, their first instinct isn’t to defend its all about playing the ball out, a pass or a run. Guys like Kent and Halkett think defend first fancy shite second. Yesterday Sibbick is thinking about controlling the ball to play it out, what he should be thinking is get it away either a corner or smash it anywhere away from goal. 

He's 4 yards from his own goal line under pressure. 

There isn't words for the level of stupidity to think that is an appropriate moment to try and play the ball out. If it needs explained to him that doing that at this level is a bad idea.. I honestly give up. 

Summer he needs to go. 

2 hours ago, hearts00 said:

It’s annoying because he has a lot of positive attributes. But he foes not have the instinct nor mentality and I just dont think he will gain these qualities. 

You could be right, I am hopeful he will continue to improve. Just looked at the highlights, Atkinson doesn’t cover the run of Murray in the lead up to the goal.

16 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Sibbick is absolutely shite. Bin in the summer along with Atkinson.  

Sibbick isn’t shite. 

26 minutes ago, OTT said:

Got to take issue with that - Souttar was one of the most well rounded and consistent CBs we'd had in years. 

Its a bridge too far for me with Sibbick now. Can't keep going on like this where we're just waiting on the next game killing error. 

Every player makes mistakes, but he's got a list of high profile and costly errors. I cannot try and kid myself on that his ability on the ball is worth conceding nonsense goals because of his inability to clear his lines or even learn from his errors. We're not a team that score high volumes of goals either, so conceding avoidable goals is absolutely a killer for us. 

What happened against County? He tried to overplay the ball in a dangerous area instead of hooking it clear or knocking it out. What happened against Hibs in the Scottish cup semi final? He overplayed the ball in a dangerous area instead of hooking it clear or knocking it out. He's not learning from his mistakes. 

He's an arse that isn't a young laddie anymore. 24 is old enough to know when to clear your lines. Sick of it. 

Souttar is still making high profile mistakes.

2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

He's not trusted.

Shame.

Have to agree to disagree. 👍

3 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Souttar is still making high profile mistakes.

Whilst at Hearts you could count his mistakes on one hand. 

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Whilst at Hearts you could count his mistakes on one hand. 

I liked Souttar but as we all know in high profile games he was prone to make a mistake. 

Famous 1874
9 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Sibbick isn’t shite. 

How? Constantly makes mistakes. Can’t find a position. Hasn’t improved in about 3 years. He’s mince. 

11 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

How? Constantly makes mistakes. Can’t find a position. Hasn’t improved in about 3 years. He’s mince. 

He flatters to deceive. 

I've no idea how he's going to improve with his core decision making. Think Stendel had the right idea playing him as a CDM. Should have been playing there since he got here as a Haring replacement instead of wasting everyones time at CB. Could have built up the experience etc. 

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, OTT said:

He flatters to deceive. 

I've no idea how he's going to improve with his core decision making. Think Stendel had the right idea playing him as a CDM. Should have been playing there since he got here as a Haring replacement instead of wasting everyones time at CB. Could have built up the experience etc. 

Tbh, He's not as good as a half fit Haring,  Benny,Devlin,  Hoff or even Kio.

That is why  he's not been put in the midfield.

7 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Tbh, He's not as good as a half fit Haring,  Benny,Devlin,  Hoff or even Kio.

That is why  he's not been put in the midfield.

Its why I've said he could have spent the time since he joined us being trained to play that role, instead of pissing in the wind kidding on he's a CB and wasting years of his development. 

At present, you're correct. But if he'd been training as a defensive mid since he got here? Who knows. Haring was signed as a defender, so a bit of stronger management of Sibbick could have pushed him towards midfield instead. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, OTT said:

Its why I've said he could have spent the time since he joined us being trained to play that role, instead of pissing in the wind kidding on he's a CB and wasting years of his development. 

At present, you're correct. But if he'd been training as a defensive mid since he got here? Who knows. Haring was signed as a defender, so a bit of stronger management of Sibbick could have pushed him towards midfield instead. 

He's just not got it, we can't train a cdm while pushing for 3rd, we need good players to add to the squad, he's not some 18 year old.

Rb is his best chance imo and if he's behind Dexter,  Aki and Kingsley then he's gassed.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

10 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Not absolving Sibbick of the blame for his poor defending at the first goal yesterday, but did anyone give him a shout to get the ball away? He should be aware enough to do so, but it sometimes looks like there is little communication at the back.

Late in the game, when we needed to be getting the ball forward, a ball came to Sibbick on the edge of the box where, under no pressure, he headed it back to Clark who then rolled it back to him. As a well-paid professional, he shouldn't need talked through every decision, but does this hint at the fact our players could support each other more and give better shouts? There was another incident in the first half where, I think it was Beni, looked pissed off that nobody had given him a 'man on' shout. Seemed like a pattern yesterday.

Oblivious of his surroundings, all the attributes to be a top player except 100% concentration.  So disappointing first thought should’ve been safety. Thought the second goal he was very mmmmm when went to the ball that came in no real urgency and turned away .  Man on shout shouldn’t be an issue with first , out for corner regroup and deal with it 

1 hour ago, Famous 1874 said:

He doesn’t constantly make mistakes. He was superb against Celtic and Morton. He is far from a finished player, does make the odd mistake but so does every player. He is not ready to be a CB, but could in time. He played very well at RCB. He is the fastest player in our defence and can mark a winger out of the game. Yesterday Murray was Atkinsons man, if he had done his job they would never have scored. 
Adding to Sibbick’s speed he is the best passer of the ball in our team, able to ping the ball all over the park.

Yesterday overall the team played well, we were unlucky to lose. Hit the wood work atleast 3 times, should have had a penalty, and had a good goal ruled out.

11 hours ago, McCrae said:

He doesn’t constantly make mistakes. He was superb against Celtic and Morton. He is far from a finished player, does make the odd mistake but so does every player. He is not ready to be a CB, but could in time. He played very well at RCB. He is the fastest player in our defence and can mark a winger out of the game. Yesterday Murray was Atkinsons man, if he had done his job they would never have scored. 
Adding to Sibbick’s speed he is the best passer of the ball in our team, able to ping the ball all over the park.

Yesterday overall the team played well, we were unlucky to lose. Hit the wood work atleast 3 times, should have had a penalty, and had a good goal ruled out.

He didn’t he make a similar mistake against Morton that nearly cost us a goal ? his mistakes are all of the same nature and is down to concentration or awareness. That isn’t going to change unfortunately.  He isn’t the best passer of the ball in our team. 

HopeDiouf

Rowles was a lot worse than Sibbick at the weekend.  But Sibbicks mistake got punished with a goal, so he gets stick.  Rowles gets away with it cause the boy missed a sitter from 2 yards out after Rowles sold the jerseys.

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

He didn’t he make a similar mistake against Morton that nearly cost us a goal ? his mistakes are all of the same nature and is down to concentration or awareness. That isn’t going to change unfortunately.  He isn’t the best passer of the ball in our team. 

I was at the Morton game and don’t recall that. Who In the team is better at passing? 

13 hours ago, sam? said:

Oblivious of his surroundings, all the attributes to be a top player except 100% concentration.  So disappointing first thought should’ve been safety. Thought the second goal he was very mmmmm when went to the ball that came in no real urgency and turned away .  Man on shout shouldn’t be an issue with first , out for corner regroup and deal with it 

For both the goals we lost Atkinson was missing in action. All came from his side. Probably why he got hooked.

Bazzas right boot
13 hours ago, McCrae said:

He wasn't superb against morton, thier best chance came because he was weak and fell over, over than that he was OK.

Against celtic he did well because it was v 19 men and he didn't have ti defend much, sibbick is great when he's not defending.

Cochrane,  Kingsley, Dexter, Grant, Boyce, Shankland are all better passers to name a few.

Sibbick is a better passer than Halkett and Kent, but so am I!

Last part I  agree with, in fact if we don't concede that goal just before ht I think we win that game, unfortunately with Sibbick in the side the defence is much weaker and we never seen it out to ht.

Same issues as last season in the defence without Kent or Halkett- too soft and mistake ridden, and Sibbick is part of that problem and why he's 4th or 5th choice cb and 4th choice rb.

HopeDiouf
3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

He wasn't superb against morton, thier best chance came because he was weak and fell over, over than that he was OK.

Against celtic he did well because it was v 19 men and he didn't have ti defend much, sibbick is great when he's not defending.

Cochrane,  Kingsley, Dexter, Grant, Boyce, Shankland are all better passers to name a few.

Sibbick is a better passer than Halkett and Kent, but so am I!

Last part I  agree with, in fact if we don't concede that goal just before ht I think we win that game, unfortunately with Sibbick in the side the defence is much weaker and we never seen it out to ht.

Same issues as last season in the defence without Kent or Halkett- too soft and mistake ridden, and Sibbick is part of that problem and why he's 4th or 5th choice cb and 4th choice rb.

So If their boy doesn't miss a sitter from 2 yards early on, are we giving Rowles the blame for the defeat?

RustyRightPeg
37 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Rowles was a lot worse than Sibbick at the weekend.  But Sibbicks mistake got punished with a goal, so he gets stick.  Rowles gets away with it cause the boy missed a sitter from 2 yards out after Rowles sold the jerseys.

Two of them need moved on asap.

HopeDiouf
7 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Two of them need moved on asap.

Only once we've brought in better.  Every player in the squad makes mistakes. For me, they've both played their part in the squad this season and have been good at times and sometimes made mistakes.  My main point is if we're emptying players for every mistake, we'll not have any players left.

Could argue shanks cost us a chance at a comeback  at weekend by standing in an offside position when there was no need.

Edited by HopeDiouf

RustyRightPeg
22 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Only once we've brought in better.  Every player in the squad makes mistakes. For me, they've both played their part in the squad this season and have been good at times and sometimes made mistakes.  My main point is if we're emptying players for every mistake, we'll not have any players left.

Could argue shanks cost us a chance at a comeback  at weekend by standing in an offside position when there was no need.

100% but we're now in the exact same situation we were this time last year, playing the two of them at CB losing soft as shite goals. Appreciate Kent and Halks absences are unwelcome, but it's always the basics they struggle with.

Any team in the league's game plan against those two is just put it on top of them and watch the panic ensue. 

Smithian

I want to like Toby Sibbick. I really do. But no player does more to dissuade me of my aversion to just putting a bunch of old veterans on the bench. Trade his ceiling for the higher floor of some 31 year old who can do a job in a pinch.

Bongo 1874
On 17/03/2024 at 15:09, RustyRightPeg said:

Your boy Sibbick the greatest cb and CDM in Scottish football doesn’t have the awareness to clear the ball in his own 6 yard box. Unforgivable and another strike against him. He’ll be gone thankfully in the summer. 

Zander.

Des Lynam
8 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Zander.

:rofl: 

He kept us in the game ffs. If Toby needs the keeper to tell him of the danger then this will be the highest level he’ll play at. He doesn’t close down Murray then ****s about trying to shepherd it out of play. 

Watch the highlights and you’ll see County have a chance before the goal that shows up his lack of awareness. 

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, HopeDiouf said:

So If their boy doesn't miss a sitter from 2 yards early on, are we giving Rowles the blame for the defeat?

Rowles ****ing up is a concern as well, but it doesn't make Sibbick any better

Sibbick not learning his lessons by now is frustrating. It's pretty basic to know that you don't mess around in possession in your own box. Just absolutely smash the ball out of play. 

No need to take a touch. I mean, has he not learned that from the derby. Clear your lines ffs

Mind at the start of last season we had Joe Wright (now at Killie) on  trial for most of pre season. no world beater, but does the basics well enough. We decided not to sign him and struggled defensively all season long. What was that all about? 

He probably would have been a lot better than pissing about with a perma-injured Halkett and a not-a-defender Sibbick.