Communication on the pitch

Jim_Duncan

Jim_Duncan

Not absolving Sibbick of the blame for his poor defending at the first goal yesterday, but did anyone give him a shout to get the ball away? He should be aware enough to do so, but it sometimes looks like there is little communication at the back.

Late in the game, when we needed to be getting the ball forward, a ball came to Sibbick on the edge of the box where, under no pressure, he headed it back to Clark who then rolled it back to him. As a well-paid professional, he shouldn't need talked through every decision, but does this hint at the fact our players could support each other more and give better shouts? There was another incident in the first half where, I think it was Beni, looked pissed off that nobody had given him a 'man on' shout. Seemed like a pattern yesterday.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• McCrae

• Bongo 1874

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bazzas right boot

Sibbick does this all the time. 

It's not his first time ****ing up.

He's unfortunately a liabiity who needs baby sitting through a game.

There's a reason he only plays when we have a bunch of injuries.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bongo 1874
2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

He's unfortunately a luabiity who needs baby sitting through a game.

Sibbick didn't play in the game away against Rangers,so what was the problem that day.

The boy is right.

The players need to talk far more in games.

And take responsibility.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Sibbick didn't play in the game away against Rangers,so what was the problem that day.

The boy is right.

The players need to talk far more in games.

And take responsibility.

We need Halkett or Kent back so Sibbick plays less.

Sibbick directly costs goals when he plays.

I don't have a transcript of the game so can't comment on how often or not the players speak.

Bongo 1874
8 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

We need Halkett or Kent back so Sibbick plays less.

Sibbick directly costs goals when he plays.

I don't have a transcript of the game so can't comment on how often or not the players speak.

My point and you have avoided it,what was the problem against Rangers away? Which Kent played,Kingsley played,Rowles played,Shankland played.

It's easy to single out players.

Sibbick played two cracking balls, to forrest yesterday and forrest should of done better.

Tommy Brown
21 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

My point and you have avoided it,what was the problem against Rangers away? Which Kent played,Kingsley played,Rowles played,Shankland played.

It's easy to single out players.

Sibbick played two cracking balls, to forrest yesterday and forrest should of done better.

Sibbick played very good yesterday.

Unfortunately a defender's role is to defend first.

He failed there and tarnished a good performance.

2 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Not absolving Sibbick of the blame for his poor defending at the first goal yesterday, but did anyone give him a shout to get the ball away? He should be aware enough to do so, but it sometimes looks like there is little communication at the back.

Late in the game, when we needed to be getting the ball forward, a ball came to Sibbick on the edge of the box where, under no pressure, he headed it back to Clark who then rolled it back to him. As a well-paid professional, he shouldn't need talked through every decision, but does this hint at the fact our players could support each other more and give better shouts? There was another incident in the first half where, I think it was Beni, looked pissed off that nobody had given him a 'man on' shout. Seemed like a pattern yesterday.

I’d say he didn’t get a shout but that doesn’t exonerate in any way to be honest. At this level in that circumstance he really shouldn’t need a shout. I’ve no idea what he was thinking or panning to do after he kneed the ball. It’s a shame he keeps making such basic errors as he’s been playing well. 

Bongo 1874
17 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Sibbick played very good yesterday.

Unfortunately a defender's role is to defend first.

He failed there and tarnished a good performance.

Can't disagree with that,sibbick should be a holding midfielder in my opinion.

Can't wait until we have Kent back.

7 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

What difference does his position make in regards of the mistakes he makes ? 

Bongo 1874
2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

What difference does his position make in regards of the mistakes he makes ? 

Different area of pitch.

And he would have Kent and Kingsley behind him.

With Nieuwenhof and Mowatt just infront for me.

Solid defence,solid midfield.

Bull's-eye

All players make mistakes, where you make them is the crux of the matter. 

When a defender makes a mistake it sometimes leads to a goal, it's exactly the same at the other end of the pitch, except when Shanks scores it's fantastic forward play.

Very similar to midfielders players who lose the ball occasionally, it's the area of the pitch where most tackles are made, of course we won't have players on a 100% win tackle ratio. 

None of the above factual information will stop the zoomers in our support making their mind up about individuals before a ball is even kicked though and it won't stop them waiting for the excuse to whine and moan on the terrace then head to social media for cyber pats on the back telling the world they are an expert in Shit footballers. 

Bizarre behaviour. 

johnking123
20 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Stop with Sibbick is a holding midfielder. He has just simply not got it. No amount of coaching is going to help him. We need to part ways. 

Robbo-Jambo
4 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Stop with Sibbick is a holding midfielder. He has just simply not got it. No amount of coaching is going to help him. We need to part ways. 

Correct, the guy is just an awful footballer.

Needs to go ASAP.

beerbandit
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

No need to play Sibbick yesterday. We should have played a back four instead  of this rubbish back five that our manager seems to prefer.

GBJambo

Craig Gordon is a great communicator on the pitch and organising the defence is front of him. 

We don’t lose that goal if Gordon is playing. 

Madness that we aren’t playing our best keeper 

Edited by GBJambo

Bongo 1874
17 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

I disagree mate.

I thought it was more Clark than Sibbick tbh and secondly, that was a handball. Toby could've done a bit better but ****ing Clark man? Seriously? Gordon is an infinitely better goalkeeper and wouldn't have made a mistake like that, a mistake at his near post that Clark has done umpteen times. 

Bongo 1874
4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I thought it was more Clark than Sibbick tbh and secondly, that was a handball. Toby could've done a bit better but ****ing Clark man? Seriously? Gordon is an infinitely better goalkeeper and wouldn't have made a mistake like that, a mistake at his near post that Clark has done umpteen times. 

The guy in your profile picture, is the guy who should be starting in goal.

His importance and what he represents is far greater than what our current captain, represents maybe I'm being harsh,Gordon didn't need to come back to us,he did it because he wanted too.

That's the difference.

Fraggle

Totally agree, you need a player at the back that constantly talks his fellow defenders through the game. Say what you will about Pressley, post chest thumping, but he had our defense organised on the pitch, always in Websters ear, giving should to everyone if there was "time", "man on", etc.

Sibbick had a very good game apart from that error. We all know he can make these type of mistakes and shouldn’t be played in a CB role.  He is though a decent RCB or potentially a wing back. After Atkinson was subbed and we went back to playing a back 3 we looked comfortable. 
Naismith made the mistake of changing from the formation we have been playing recently to a back 4. This just doesn’t suit the the players we have available.

Let’s not forget Clark’s role in the goal. Hi initial save the ball rebounds back towards the striker, it he had punched the ball out the danger would have been over.

Atkinson is the real weak link in the team. We play better when he isn’t starting.

pettigrewsstylist
3 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Sibbick didnt know Murray was right behind him? that he was a forward looking to score?

Best yet. Boy is NEVER going to make it at CH.

15 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

This is a far point…I was in row A… silence from Clark and the other players, no one giving Sibbick a shout. Mind you the golden rule is safety first..Sibbick should have put the ball out.

31 minutes ago, beerbandit said:

No need to play Sibbick yesterday. We should have played a back four instead  of this rubbish back five that our manager seems to prefer.

We started with back four and switched to a back 3 when Atkinson went off.

39 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Correct, the guy is just an awful footballer.

Needs to go ASAP.

We saw how well he played against Celtic, some of the passes he makes are incredible. He is about to become an internationalist. Played in the right position, RCB in a back  3 or as a wing back he is decent. 
He isn’t an awful player.

2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yep. He needs a Kent or Halkett to talk him through each game. Unfortunately, Rowles isn't that kind of player.

But he also needs to take responsibility for his own game and not make such stupid ****ing mistakes every time he gets a run out. He's genuinely the Hearts answer to Rocky. A ****ing bombscore.

Folk can try and shift the blame, but you don't dick about with the ball 4 yards from goal, you clear it. Every time you just clear it. There isn't a situation where not clearing it is the right answer. 

13 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

The guy in your profile picture, is the guy who should be starting in goal.

His importance and what he represents is far greater than what our current captain, represents maybe I'm being harsh,Gordon didn't need to come back to us,he did it because he wanted too.

That's the difference.

Yep. He's a goalkeeping master. He should be in from now til the end. 

2 minutes ago, McCrae said:

This is a far point…I was in row A… silence from Clark and the other players, no one giving Sibbick a shout. Mind you the golden rule is safety first..Sibbick should have put the ball out.

Mate, Clark should have held the 1st  shot or at least got it around the post. If he didn't manage that, he should have given Toby a shout or, got up quickly enough for the 2nd shot. 

Toby got robbed and could have shielded it better but tbh, I think he's fouled or Murray plays the ball with his hand. Before that, Sibbick was having a great game. 

But how many times has Clark done this? At his near post or palmed one back into danger. 

Aye, good shot stopper at times, decent solid keeper , a great game last week but we're not conceding that with big Craig in goals, Gordon probably gets a hand on the 2nd one as well. 

Mince in goal and a ****ing wagyu steak wasting away on the bench. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, OTT said:

Yep. He needs a Kent or Halkett to talk him through each game. Unfortunately, Rowles isn't that kind of player.

But he also needs to take responsibility for his own game and not make such stupid ****ing mistakes every time he gets a run out. He's genuinely the Hearts answer to Rocky. A ****ing bombscore.

Folk can try and shift the blame, but you don't dick about with the ball 4 yards from goal, you clear it. Every time you just clear it. There isn't a situation where not clearing it is the right answer. 

His header at ibrox last season,  hibs in the sf when we threatened to hammer them, hibs this season and that's just off the top of my head.

He's also often caught ball watching, out of position or making silly mistakes regularly.

He's just not got the minerals.

He does has certain qualities- but they're not enough to mask his weaknesses, and I like him, but he's a liability. 

Tbh, there's a reason that under Bob and Naismith he's only played when we have injuries. 

HeartsandonlyHearts

He should know by now when to clear the ******g ball. Standing still and not knowing where the closest attacker is with regards to yourself and the goal is just amateur defending.
If in doubt put it out. 

Giving up a corner or throw in may lead to a goal, but not as sure as giving up an actual goal.

Time to get rid. He’s very casual during games. Yesterday in the second half he let them cross a ball into the box without even putting a foot out to at least attempt to block it. Just ran next to the crosser like they were jogging together. At least look like u give a toss.

Rant over.

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

His header at ibrox last season,  hibs in the sf when we threatened to hammer them, hibs this season and that's just off the top of my head.

He's also often caught ball watching, out of position or making silly mistakes regularly.

He's just not got the minerals.

He does has certain qualities- but they're not enough to mask his weaknesses, and I like him, but he's a liability. 

Tbh, there's a reason that under Bob and Naismith he's only played when we have injuries. 

Yep. A litany of high profile mistakes, can't even claim that the fans have put too much pressure on him because the stadium has literally sang his name and fans have been super concious of how linked his form is to his confidence - but even then, there are still game defining mistakes in his locker. Nobody can do anymore for him at this point. 

I'm sick of it and him. Let him drop to league 2 or whatever and he can be someone elses problem. Half a dozen so called lesser players that would have been more reliable options.  

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, OTT said:

Yep. A litany of high profile mistakes, can't even claim that the fans have put too much pressure on him because the stadium has literally sang his name and fans have been super concious of how linked his form is to his confidence - but even then, there are still game defining mistakes in his locker. Nobody can do anymore for him at this point. 

I'm sick of it and him. Let him drop to league 2 or whatever and he can be someone elses problem. Half a dozen so called lesser players that would have been more reliable options.  

Part of the reason I thought we'd get beat yesterday was that we had no Kent or a Halkett. 

The defence is the difference this season and without Kent and guys like Sibbick playing the same issues will resurface.

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

He should know by now when to clear the ******g ball. Standing still and not knowing where the closest attacker is with regards to yourself and the goal is just amateur defending.
If in doubt put it out. 

Giving up a corner or throw in may lead to a goal, but not as sure as giving up an actual goal.

Time to get rid. He’s very casual during games. Yesterday in the second half he let them cross a ball into the box without even putting a foot out to at least attempt to block it. Just ran next to the crosser like they were jogging together. At least look like u give a toss.

Rant over.

Everyone makes mistakes, he just makes too many.

Lacks awareness/ concentration to the extent it's a liability. He's also pretty weak in the air 

The guy can do good things and trys, but is not a good ch.

As a striker you'd love to be up against him.

3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Part of the reason I thought we'd get beat yesterday was that we had no Kent or a Halkett. 

The defence is the difference this season and without Kent and guys like Sibbick playing the same issues will resurface.

I had hoped our defence was strong enough to cope against the 2nd bottom teams attack. But clearly not, Kent is undeniably the lynchpin of our defence. Puts a big question mark on a few players there IMO. We shouldn't be dropping from the 3rd best defence to whatever that was because 1 player is missing. Work needed over the summer I think. 

I'm still absolutely livid with Sibbick. This wasn't a difficult game for him and he still ****ed it up. Simply put, he can't be trusted. 

beerbandit
13 minutes ago, McCrae said:

We started with back four and switched to a back 3 when Atkinson went off.

Cheers.  Never new that. Never saw the game got the line up from various sites. What position did Atkinson play?

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, OTT said:

I had hoped our defence was strong enough to cope against the 2nd bottom teams attack. But clearly not, Kent is undeniably the lynchpin of our defence. Puts a big question mark on a few players there IMO. We shouldn't be dropping from the 3rd best defence to whatever that was because 1 player is missing. Work needed over the summer I think. 

I'm still absolutely livid with Sibbick. This wasn't a difficult game for him and he still ****ed it up. Simply put, he can't be trusted. 

It should have been and we created enough, but if you are playing ok, you can't give away a goal,  it shifts the momentum of the game.

Last season this happened often-  playing ok, in general control without scoring, the difference this season  (after the start) is we haven't conceded and then built from there to win the game, last season we'd be playing similar but concede a daft goal and drop points,  like yesterday.

Rowles being néw, then injured, Kingsley injured at times,Smith ****ed and Halkett out was a disaster, this season with a more experienced Rowles and Kent we've been better .

Remove Kent and with no Halkett the entire  defence becomes softer and with Sibbick you have a guy that needs coached constantly and has a mistake in him.

No surprise to me  we got beat yesterday, the midfield needs a signing or two and the defence with the  injuries is just soft.

Debut 4
4 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

It’s basic stuff. Not everyone’s character is to shout and call out but when I played under 18s in 1991 I always remember our coach being big on drumming in communication during training. It’s just stuck with me from then. 

A basic one is putting a shout on your pass.  “Turn” “time” “man on” etc….

it annoys me enough playing with guys at 5s who don’t do it 😂

Edited by Debut 4

Debut 4
21 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I would agree.  Was saying this in conversation earlier.  The worry for me is we’ve heard absolutely nothing (as far as I’m aware ) about Halkett since he went off v Airdrie.  

I’d love the defence to have Kent and Halkett for the semi because it would raise our chances.  I fear only 1 will make it though.  

If so, the central defence has to be Kent and Kingsley.  Cochrane back to LB

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

It’s basic stuff. Not everyone’s character is to shout and call out but when I played under 18s in 1991 I always remember our coach being big on drumming in communication during training. It’s just stuck with me from then. 

A basic one is putting a shout on your pass.  “Turn” “time” “man on” etc….

it annoys me enough playing with guys at 5s who don’t do it 😂

Aye, but surley you aren't thinking the players don't communicate?

We're 3rd in the league, made 2 xsf.

Who is saying we don't communicate enough, what evidence is there of this?

Someone shit stirs on jkb after a defeat and suddenly We're a team that doesn't communicate. 

Surley,  you don't think we aren't doing this " basic stuff"?

C'mon tae ****!

davemclaren
31 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Someone shit stirs on jkb after a defeat and suddenly We're a team that doesn't communicate. 

C'mon tae ****!

Thise beliw us need to talk more than we do thankfully. 🥸

Debut 4
32 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

C'mon tae ****!

Someone was talking about an instance in the game?  Was there communication?

Was there not?  I don’t think I specified who I was talking about and simply touching on the subject the OP was touching on.  I’d like to think professionals do the basics, but who knows?   Are they always on point at every moment in the game?

C’mon tae fk!!!

3 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Untrue, he does it occasionally, but then Rowles does it more often, but selective minds pick what they want. While Sibbick did err yesterday, there were more that made more mistakes than he did. 

what about the other defenders, why do you single out Sibbick? - I think you have a bias against him!

No Idle Talk

Atkinson-Sibbick-Rowles-Kingsley. 

There's your back four. Three players in it who are neither strong on field characters or leaders of men. Kingsley is the only player in that back four you can rely on when the chips are down. It's hardly surprising there were issues yesterday. 

The vocal leadership that players like Craig Gordon, Craig Halkett, and Frankie Kent, provide, is pivotal to having a solid defensive structure. Take too many of these Jenga pieces away and the tower collapses. 

Der Kaiser

If in doubt. 

Put it out.

It's a standard message you teach kids so it's much more frustrating when a professional player makes the mistake. He thought he could shield it and he failed which cost us.

pettigrewsstylist
18 minutes ago, H2 said:

Untrue, he does it occasionally, but then Rowles does it more often, but selective minds pick what they want. While Sibbick did err yesterday, there were more that made more mistakes than he 

14 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

There's your back four. Three players in it who are neither strong on field characters or leaders of men. Kingsley is the only player in that back four you can rely on when the chips are down. It's hardly surprising there were issues yesterday. 

The vocal leadership that players like Craig Gordon, Craig Halkett, and Frankie Kent, provide, is pivotal to having a solid defensive structure. Take too many of these Jenga pieces away and the tower collapses. 

Kingsley worked his ass off yesterday trying to keep it together while Rowles, particularly, ran about chasing shadows and stumbling as per. Then Toby did a Toby. 

Sherbet
5 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Think part of the problem is our obsession with keeping possession when clearing your lines should be the priority

Dsjambo

The first goal was a catalogue of errors, Atkinson falls over trying to control it, when the ball broke Beni walks towards the ball instead of sprinting which gives loads of time to play a ball forward, Clark parried a soft shot back out, Sibbick dallied on the ball allowing the 2nd shot which should have been saved. The general point about communication is valid but surely that should be a given at this level? and if the ball breaks to any player inside the six yd box why on earth do you need a shout to dispatch it into row Z? 

Bazzas right boot
33 minutes ago, H2 said:

what about the other defenders, why do you single out Sibbick? - I think you have a bias against him!

Not Bias, I've watched him for 2 seasons and he's poor.

He's a poor defender and makes mistakes.

Rowles can be weak at times, but is improving, but he's excellent in the tackle and blocking, he also has decent pace.

Kinglsey is similar, maybe  better at carrying the ball.

Kent has poor distribution,  but is strong and a good defender.

Halkett when fit is strong in the air and is a bit like Kent.

Sibbick has good pace and technique,  but is weak in the air, lacks awareness and concentration and makes costly mistakes far too often.

Had that opinion for a season now.

It's likley why Sibbick is only used when other players are injured.

Bazzas right boot
40 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Fair.

1 hour ago, beerbandit said:

Cheers.  Never new that. Never saw the game got the line up from various sites. What position did Atkinson play?

RB